S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old May 5th, 2017, 02:19 PM   #1
crimson

Default Leather boot care

Hi everyone, I'm new so please forgive if I post in the wrong place.
I was wondering what products you use to keep the uppers looking nice. I never took care of my old boots and the leather looked really ugly, full of marks and mistreated. I'm about to buy a new pair of leather boots and I want to try to keep them looking as good as possible, even with the skating abuse they'll endure
Thanks all!
C
crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Ancient1

Hi Bright Red,

I used saddle soap to clean and mink oil to condition. That was a long time ago. Not sure what they have now.
Old May 5th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #3
Ancient1

Hi Bright Red,
Maybe I should explain a bit more.

The saddle soap cleans but it does remove a little of the oils in the leather causing it to dry a bit but it cleans very well.

The mink oil will add some natural oils back in and it also gives some water protection (as if you would normally need water protection other than sweat).

So I clean with a damp cloth then rub some saddle soap into the leather, just a little goes a long way, then wipe it off as thoroughly as possible and you can use a damp rag to wipe it. Finally get a mink oil paste like Kiwi (can get it from Walmart) or Red Wing, can get it from a red wing store. And thoroughly cover LIGHTLY the leather. Just enough to be very thin but all over and rub it in. The leather will darken lightly till it is absorbed (a few days) then it will lighten. This should add back the oils you removed with the saddle soap and give a little protection to the leather.

OK! That may have been too much info but that's ok. And I have never ruined my leather from using saddle soap or mink oil. Taking care of your boots is a good idea.
Old May 5th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #4
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Outside of black boots, use regular shoe polish. Inside of boots is most important. Use Lexol, or any good leather protectant.
Old May 10th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #5
AZSHOT

I have saddles and other leather gear, some worth thousands of dollars. You want to use Lexol leather conditioner. It will buff to a shine. If you want more shine, top it with black shoe polish, as many coats as you want (spit shining can get it like patent leather). Don't use oils like Neatsfoot, which darken and make the leather too soft and soggy. You only need the Lexol about 2 coats when you get an old pair, then once or twice a year.

Here is a good review of it: http://bestleather.org/lexol-leather...tioner-review/
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 02:02 PM   #6
crimson

Thanks everyone! Sorry for my absence

Oh Ancient One, thank you for sharing your wisdom. You propose a real labor of love. Heard of Saddle Soap for cleaning but I wasn't sure it would work, for some reason.

sk84luv and AZSHOT, I've never heard of Lexol, so I'm going to look it up. Sounds like a great product.

I think I'll use my old beat up boots to test out and develop my technique. I feel like the saddle soap for cleaning when needed and the lexol could be a good combo. Who knows, maybe next time *I* will have something of value to contribute to a thread like this.

Thanks everyone again! My boots thank you too in advance!
crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 05:45 PM   #7
Ancient1

Hi Bright Red,
You're welcome. The saddle soap does work but it does pull out oils, so conditioning afterward is very important. I have not tried the Lexol but I have used the mink oil. I can't tell you the difference. It may well be better than the mink oil, I just can't say.

As for polishing, I would always wait till the mink oil was fully absorbed. It takes about a week for it to fully absorb and you can tell because the leather will return to it's lighter color. Once it is done then I like a good polish. I wish I could remember the name of the polish I used, but it was a cream polish. I got it at a shoe store. It worked very well and did not dry out the leather.

I just looked it up. It was the melatonian shoe and boot cream. It looks like they are being discontinued, but you can find some on amazon.com. To me it was much more than a polish and actually conditioned as it polished, as it soaked into the leather. I loved it.

Best of luck,
Old May 12th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #8
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

After a session, inside of boots may be wet with sweat, containing salt. It's a good idea to wipe dry, and don't put them in a zipped tight skate bag until they are.
Old May 13th, 2017, 10:44 AM   #9
rwsz

i used mink oil to keep boots inside leather to keep from drying out and cracking. used regular polish on the outside to keep them shinny. after done skating always take them out your bad and let them air dry.

Tags
boots