S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old September 12th, 2016, 07:20 PM   #1
HarleyKwin

Unhappy Advice on "heel kicks/fast feet" not to fall backwards?

Hello all!
I'm asking for advice, tips, tricks, Pagan rituals...ANYTHING to help me master this. I'm not sure what this is called around the world, so I included a youtube video at the bottom of this post of skater showing "what"it is. (Hopefully the link works, if not, the video is called Roller Derby basics: Heel kicks.)

We do this every time at our trainings in order for us to get used to covering the track quickly (hence why we call it "fast feet" as someone calls out the "lanes"of the track and we have to laterally move there as quick as we can, sometimes alone or sometimes with a blocking partner.)

My problem among other things is that I"m unable to do this without falling backwards. I've tried everything - leaning a bit forwards as to NOT fall backwards, get lower (which to me seems counterproductive as if I get low, I think I would be more prone to falling backwards....) I just don't know what else to do, and it's really discouraging to be the ONLY skater still falling backwards and/or unable to move from lane 4 to lane 2 (complete outside to inside.)

If anybody has anything to help, I"ll be more than grateful! <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV0l6KCmGV4
HarleyKwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 11:28 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

Eventually, with more hours, you'll agree, getting as low as possible and leaning forward are the two ingredients to suscessfully going fast and switching direction aimlessly.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 02:20 AM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

First of all, this move requires a more unique flexibility. Skaters who are unable to physically duck foot their feet with their toes facing 170 to 190 degrees apart are going to have problems here.

Im a very seasoned skater, and can do just about anything someone shows me. However, I cannot skate sideways to save my life lol. My hips are not flexible enough to "side surf". So this particular move poses a bit difficult for me.

I can still do this move but not a direct lateral glide. i have a variation to it instead. Honestly the way I do it is a bit more stable than this "smarty pants" move I always see people doing. Since my feet have a better fore/aft placement under me than whats foing on in the video you linked.
Old September 13th, 2016, 01:06 PM   #4
WJCIV

Two things come too mind:
1. Do you wobble on your feet before you fall? If so your suspension might be too loose. Try tightening it. To please some other posters here I'll say that you can reloosen it slowly as you get more confident, but I personally run a pretty tight suspension.
2. Get your weight over your foot. You're probably use to standing with a fairly wide stance, and there's a chance that when you do this you don't pull that one foot for enough under your body. How comfortable are you gliding and standing on one foot in general? It might be worth doing some other drills just so you get used to where your hips should be over one skate.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 12:50 AM   #5
Terror Australis
Happy Little Vegemite

I have no idea how long you've been skating or where you're at skill-wise but I'd recommend you put in some solid one-foot skating practice in. It helps with most aspects of skating and derby skills and improves balance all round. It should help stop those backwards falls. Also agree with lower -always using your knees to achieve this, your shoulders up, back and in line with them -the way you go in for knee falls. It's kind of a backwards fall eliminator as well as good form.

https://www.facebook.com/DollsOfHazzard?ref=ts&fref=ts
Terror Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 09:55 AM   #6
HeBeGB

We use a different emphasis when we do it. The video encourages "dragging" the feet (IMHO limits how far you can cover with this skill). The way we do it encourages "leading" with the feet (allows further ground coverage). Almost the same movement, but with different emphasis.
The way we do it is more like 1:18 in the video.

Also, do you keep standing up at parts during the drill? That can cause a weight shift that will throw you backwards.

Last edited by HeBeGB; September 14th, 2016 at 09:57 AM. Reason: more info
HeBeGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #7
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post
We use a different emphasis when we do it. The video encourages "dragging" the feet (IMHO limits how far you can cover with this skill). The way we do it encourages "leading" with the feet (allows further ground coverage). Almost the same movement, but with different emphasis.
The way we do it is more like 1:18 in the video.

Totally agree

Also, do you keep standing up at parts during the drill? That can cause a weight shift that will throw you backwards.
This particular drill is pretty ineffective in derby as stability goes. There is virtually no fore/aft foot placement relative to the center of your body (torso area). Theres a much better way to move, doing almost the exact same thing, but instead of a 100% lateral shift and sideways glide, you do a slight angle in your footwork. Your feet roll to the left and the right as in the video, but slightly forward as well. When you do this, ypu can push ypurself rearward slightly which will keep ypur direction of travel in the same lateral line that the video shows.

Other advantages of this are if you happen to get hit while on the 1 footed glide your going to be able to absorb it better. Because your foot placement will allow forward roll as well as lateral roll. So instead of picking ypur feet up to reset them for balance ypull be able to keep on your wheels and carve a hard inside edge with better results.

Ill stop here cause thats another thread, but i hope you get the idea.
Old September 14th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #8
Armadillo

Please post PICs of your skates -- Side view (not too close up), top view, bottom view. Your plates could be too short for your feet, and/or mounted too far forward to match up with your skills level. Until you eliminate these possible causes for your issue, practice drills may not be the answer.

-Armadillo