S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old August 3rd, 2017, 03:51 AM   #1
AZSHOT

Default Riedell 339R - what are they?

Hi, My wife found me a pair of skates in my size. I know speed skates, but nothing about figure skates. They are stamped in the inside 339R and 1215 and 6504. I'm thinking 339 is the model. But Googling it, I come up blank.

They seem very nice lined leather, quite heavy soles. Shearling tongue. The plates are Snyder Douglas - Super Deluxe. Wheels are old school Figure Dance Command.

What the heck are these?! Nice leather, but must weigh 5 Lb per skate!

Last edited by AZSHOT; August 3rd, 2017 at 01:49 PM.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 11:28 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Hi, My wife found me a pair of skates in my size. I know speed skates, but nothing about figure skates. They are stamped in the inside 339R and 1215 and 6504. I'm thinking 339 is the model. But Googling it, I come up blank.

They seem very nice lined leather, quite heavy soles. Shearling tongue. The plates are Snyder Douglas - Super Deluxe. Wheels are old school Figure Dance by command.

What the heck are these?! Nice leather, but must weigh 5 Lb per skate!
i am thinking they are the 336 or a boot that was customized, such as the 336. does it have much padding on the sides? i think the other numbers are just manufacturing
Old August 3rd, 2017, 01:42 PM   #3
AZSHOT

Hi, thanks for getting me a number I could look up! These are quite old, with Crest wheels that look like they're from about 1963. They are high tops, higher than the current 336s I've looked at. Pics:

Last edited by AZSHOT; August 3rd, 2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Ancient1

Even though the numbers don't match, they look like my Riedell 192's from 1971

If they are, then you have a nice pair of boots for freestyle and dance. They did me well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Hi, thanks for getting me a number I could look up! These are quite old, with Crest wheels that look like they're from about 1963. They are high tops, higher than the current 336s I've looked at. Pics:

Old August 4th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #5
rwsz

ok that explains it, yes probably close to the 297s of today, they are much higher on the ankle of the boot though. yes a much older but well made boot and good leather which is hard to get today.
Old August 4th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #6
AZSHOT

Thanks all. My wife did find one 1958 reference to a model 339, so perhaps they are older than I thought. The leather is very nice, for sure.
Old August 8th, 2017, 08:46 PM   #7
Silverado
Silverado

Default What are they?

I believe your skates are from about 1970's or late 60's. Not from the 50's.
My skates are Snyder Imperial's that I bought in the early 60's. First off. My skates were made by Snyder Skate Co. Which everything I have researched, did not use jump bars, which yours have. It appears that after Douglas got involved with Snyder, and became Douglas Snyder that jump bars started being used. Also, my whole boot and soles were dyed black. It was after that that they ground the soles flat for the plate to sit on. It is very plain how the soles were ground. Snyder also stamped serial numbers on the plates. I have tried to research how to decipher the serial number, with no results. Do your skates have serial numbers? Which I think might have stopped after Douglas got involved. As for the numbers. I've never researched Riedell's boot numbers, but here are what is stamped in mine. 10 1/2 2803, 192 6901.
Note: the numbers are next to each other with a space between them. I assume the 2803 is a size code for 10 1/2. One more thing. If you can feel the plate mounting screws through the insoles, you might want to replace them. I have another posting about the Snyder insoles. Note: these are not for comfort. They are a stiffer insole so the screws can't be felt. If your skate doesn't have the plate mounting screws that go all the way through the boot, you could use any kind of insole. Also, that boot takes a 108" lace. The good thing is, You have a top line leather boot that I will be hard to equal today. If there not all cracked and fit well, they might even be worth just replacing the plates. Just a thought. Stay positive!
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #8
Silverado
Silverado

Default What are they?

I believe your skates are from about 1970's or late 60's. Not from the 50's.
My skates are Snyder Imperial's that I bought in the early 60's. First off. My skates were made by Snyder Skate Co. Which everything I have researched, did not use jump bars, which yours have. It appears that after Douglas got involved with Snyder, and became Douglas Snyder that jump bars started being used. Also, my whole boot and soles were dyed black. It was after that that they ground the soles flat for the plate to sit on. It is very plain how the soles were ground. Snyder also stamped serial numbers on the plates. I have tried to research how to decipher the serial number, with no results. Do your skates have serial numbers? Which I think might have stopped after Douglas got involved. As for the numbers. I've never researched Riedell's boot numbers, but here are what is stamped in mine. 10 1/2 2803, 192 6901.
Note: the numbers are next to each other with a space between them. I assume the 2803 is a size code for 10 1/2. One more thing. If you can feel the plate mounting screws through the insoles, you might want to replace them. I have another posting about the Snyder insoles. Note: these are not for comfort. They are a stiffer insole so the screws can't be felt. If your skate doesn't have the plate mounting screws that go all the way through the boot, you could use any kind of insole. Also, that boot takes a 108" lace. The good thing is, You have a top line leather boot that will be hard to equal today. If there not all cracked and fit well, they might even be worth just replacing the plates. Just a thought. Stay positive!
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 03:54 PM   #9
AZSHOT

My date estimate was just based on the one ad my wife found listing a 339 Riedell as being made for a short period in 1958. And also the old Crest wheels from the early 1960s. But it doesn't really matter. They are in excellent shape, and fit well. The plates are fine for what I want to do.

I've retrofitted old, red Kryptos outdoor wheels to them, and plan to make them my outdoor skates. I like speed skates for indoors, but these were a good quality setup, for $5, to get something for outdoors.