S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old April 21st, 2017, 02:31 PM   #21
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reely? View Post
Nice skates, why did you have to shim them up? Now there's a custom issue, surely Dave knew you were planning to skate 125s.
He knew and tried to get some space in there. Unfortunately, I am THAT flat-footed and having to bring that section of the boot up would have made the arch uncomfortable. I'd prefer to shim over discomfort
Quote:
1. Code Whites? I know you love em. Do share your opinion. At $20ea best 125 value hands down imo.
I agree. They work well both indoor and outdoor. I'm not really an outdoor skater, but they have been the most stable wheel I have skated outdoor. Mainly because other wheels have been spoked (Roll'X X-Road, MPC Black Magic, and Atom Boom Road).
Quote:
2. Why 13.2?
Stability and more heel push. Also for outdoor, my 12.6" Flyke carved the underpush way too quickly. The 13.2 makes a slower and seemingly more powerful arc.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #22
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
I think the issues I had with my customs just had to do with the disconnect between the molding and the building personnel
I am sure this is a huge problem! As it is, I don't think boot builders really pay too much attention to us mere mortals... Can't imagine that they would relay the information to someone who is going to build your boots in another country

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
I am looking in to (AKA: convincing my wife to bless spending on) customs from a US Domestic builder.
Unfortunately, I am currently experiencing too much pain on my left heel to recommend you getting Simmons. I'm sure many others have had good luck with them but for me it has been nothing but a big blister and pain.

I've had 2 pairs of custom Pinnacles and had no problems at all with them. My Pinnacles are old so I think today they are much better crafted than 10 years ago. I should've gone with Pinnacles instead of Simmons. Now that my heel is killing me and I'm not enjoying skating... I'm kicking myself over that decision. I didn't want to spend the extra $300!!
Old May 13th, 2017, 05:24 AM   #23
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
I've had 2 pairs of custom Pinnacles and had no problems at all with them. My Pinnacles are old so I think today they are much better crafted than 10 years ago. I should've gone with Pinnacles instead of Simmons. Now that my heel is killing me and I'm not enjoying skating... I'm kicking myself over that decision. I didn't want to spend the extra $300!!
Curious. Did you get a special deal on the Simmons? Simmons is generally more expensive than Pinnacle. The advertised price for the base Simmons is currently $1600, which is $200 more than the Pinnacle Elite, the model I think most people get.
ese002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #24
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
Curious. Did you get a special deal on the Simmons? Simmons is generally more expensive than Pinnacle. The advertised price for the base Simmons is currently $1600, which is $200 more than the Pinnacle Elite, the model I think most people get.
WOW... you are correct!! I can't believe I missed that! It's the "Carbon Stealth" that is 1800$!

My second pair of Pinnacles is an "Elite", first generation lined by suede which I love except for the fact that it's not too much cushion. Back then Jimmy made his boots a little narrower than today... sort of tight but like I said, I never had issues with them.

When I chose to get Simmons, they advertised on their website for 1500$ but when I got casted, they charged me 1600$. At that point I just wanted to get boots and didn't want to pick a "but you advertise 1500$" argument.

I think I should've gone for Pinnacles since my experience with them was excellent but I never thought I'd have the blister issues I have now with my Simmons. I thought they'd be perfect.
Old May 14th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #25
MachV

Quote:
WOW... you are correct!! I can't believe I missed that! It's the "Carbon Stealth" that is 1800$!

My second pair of Pinnacles is an "Elite", first generation lined by suede which I love except for the fact that it's not too much cushion. Back then Jimmy made his boots a little narrower than today... sort of tight but like I said, I never had issues with them.

When I chose to get Simmons, they advertised on their website for 1500$ but when I got casted, they charged me 1600$. At that point I just wanted to get boots and didn't want to pick a "but you advertise 1500$" argument.

I think I should've gone for Pinnacles since my experience with them was excellent but I never thought I'd have the blister issues I have now with my Simmons. I thought they'd be perfect.
Why didn't you have the Pinnacle boots reworked instead of buying a
new boot? Live & learn.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 02:41 AM   #26
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
Why didn't you have the Pinnacle boots reworked instead of buying a
new boot? Live & learn.
Though I never really had problems with my Pinnacles, there was one thing I didn't like about them and that is that when I got casted, my feet got casted in a very upright position (knee over mid toe). I wanted to get a new boot in a casting position where the knee is over the big toe; making them more naturally inclined medially in a more true skating position. I never got super comfortable on my Pinnacles; never felt I hit the "sweet spot" with them in regards to being well balanced on them and being in the most powerful position that I could be in because of that upright position.

The other thing I noticed once I got my Simmons (which were casted in the position I wanted) is that they are much more sculptured to my feet than my old Pinnacles. When one applies pressure to the skate, the foot widens with this pressure, and my Pinnacles are very narrow . My Simmons are extremely comfortable because of this curvaceous shape that fits the foot perfectly. On the Simmons I feel well balanced and feel lots of power because of the boot's molding angle.

So essentially, I didn't feel knee-toe alignment with my Pinnacles and they were too narrow. When I got my Pinnacles in 2006, Jimmy was at a less experienced stage of his manufacturing and I am sure since then he has improved his crafting skills significantly.

I wish I didn't have that spot that is driving my crazy on my Simmons... without that spot giving me blisters/pain; they would be PERFECT! But with the blister, I skate one day, get blistered, then I have to take 1-2 days off from skating to heal it and the cycle continues. I like to skate everyday but with the blister problem, I can only skate 3 times a week at the most. It's really a f'kin' shame because I just enjoy skating with a deep passion.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 07:39 PM   #27
ice princess

Quote:
Have any of you with custom boots experienced problems with your boots not fitting well or having a spot that gives you problems?
I had no custom boots without issues My first pair was a 2001 Bont Pyro Custom, basically not bad and I still skate them, but the left boot was little too short, and the arch of the right was too low.

The 2nd pair was from a local boot maker, ordered in 2003/2004 when many skaters wanted customs, so it took more time than expected to get them shipped, and he boots were (and still are) really tight and have spots, no chance to fix them completely. But after some sessions with a hair dryer I can skate them.

After some years with less skating, I wanted a new pair from another local (expirienced) boot maker, who makes carbon boots just as a "minor business" or hobby. I'm waiting for the boots since mid of 2014... Maybe god knows that I'm not in good shape and he wants me to save the money
ice princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #28
Krulle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice princess View Post
I'm waiting for the boots since mid of 2014
wow, you are very patient :-D
Krulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #29
shesk8

2014. Seriously? Curious, who is making, ...errr rather, not making your boots?
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #30
ice princess

I not really expect to get the boots anymore. I didn't want to apply any pressure, because he should just relax and make a perfect boot There was no hurry from my side, because I still have some stuff to wear down, and except some travel expenses, I didn't pay anything in advance. The last few times I kindly called or e-mailed him, I got some excuses...

The manufacturer's name doesn't matter, it's a local issue, but unfortunately too far from where I live to visit him few times a month or so. I'll see if I want or need another custom boot in this lifetime... Maybe I too old now and should just go bicycling I have way too less power and endurance since some years, and yesterday the trail kicked my ass and my pyro
ice princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #31
panch0

Default Finally discovered the problem w my Simmons

I finally discovered the problem with my custom Simmons!!

The blister I was getting went away once I stopped using the EzeeFit booties (hard to believe since I love those booties and their purpose is to minimize friction); however, I spent a week in New York where I skated with the Brooklyn Speed Team at Prospect Park.

Prospect Park has a downhill section about 3/4 of a mile long where you pick up decent speed of about 36 mph... on my way downhill, my left boot was very squirrely; not to the point of making it dangerous but enough to feel it and get an feeling of instability. That's how I discovered the lateral side of my left boot is slightly lose. The medial side is fine and it hugs my ankle bone well but not the other! I can even wiggle a finger between my boot and my ankle bone on the lateral side. I've tried making my laces tighter to pull the shell tighter but then my tendon gets very constricted. It doesn't help that on that boot, the tongue is too low, lower than the top of the boot, so I get very little tongue cover on my tendon.

Anyway... I continue to be unhappy and unsatisfied with my left boot and I continue to try to fix the problem. For $1600 I really expected more satisfaction.