S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 22nd, 2017, 12:16 AM   #1
bigred875

Default Help me get the next generation going! ..please!

Hi All! My son and nephew are turning 9 and looking to upgrade from their "kids" skates. My son wants speed style quads like dad and my nephew is looking for inlines. We will be session skating on hardwood. Thanks!
bigred875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:14 AM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

At that age, it's going to be difficult, since their feet grow so fast. You don't want to spend a ton, but want quality skates.

Stick with brand names, even for package skates. That way, when their feet outgrow them, they'll be easier to trade up (by this, I mean sell and buy another new or possibly used pair).

There are actually a few good pages on Facebook that have used equipment for sale. Search on "skate it again", "show and tell, trade and sell", and "for skaters by skaters", you may get lucky.

There are also sites that have used equipment sections like nettracing.com and backstreetinline.com.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:21 PM   #3
bigred875

Thanks chuck. For me the difference between decent skates and crap skates is like riding on the back of a motorcycle....I never would have thought of skating as more then just a novelty if I didn't hangout with kids that skates seriously. Looking back, skating taught me a lot and would like to at least show them what's it there even if they if doesn't end up being their thing
Old January 22nd, 2017, 04:05 PM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

For quads, wheels last a long time, make a big impact on performance, and can be recycled to newer skates, buying good wheels is your best investment.

I would rather skate a GTX 500(very cheap entry level skate) with aussie scott Royal assassin wheels(very expensive wheels) than a nice boot/plate combo with crappy wheels.

Inlines are pretty easy to have a descent skate for cheap. you can use a cheap boot/frame and put good wheels on it as well, as long as the skaters feet are comfortable the price tag wont matter much to performance.

Don't buy expensive bearings, its a waste. goodwill/thrift shop around for old skates with "abec 1-9" numbers on there for the bearings if you need some. many times you can get an entire set of bearings (and other skate parts) for 5 bucks. Wheels make a enormous impact compared to bearings, I can't stress enough to buy good wheels. Also not all expensive quad wheels are good, so buyer beware!

Other advantages with quads is you can buy a larger plate for a younger kid, which can go through several mounts before it becomes too small. Using cleats as boots, which can be obtained from thrift store shopping or butchering this years soccer shoe since it will be too small next year, and mounting that puppy. Essentially athletic shoes with reinforcements will work, stiffer sole helps. cut/grind the cleats off and slap a plate on them.

Edit
Ebay some skates, typically you would want to look for skates that MSRP @ 200$ like SureGrip Carrera(boot style #2) usually available for around 40-70$ shipped, if you can find them in your sizes needed.

Vanilla juniors are a great and durable package skate, at 200 MSRP, fair resale too.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 03:44 AM   #5
bigred875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
For quads, wheels last a long time, make a big impact on performance, and can be recycled to newer skates, buying good wheels is your best investment.

I would rather skate a GTX 500(very cheap entry level skate) with aussie scott Royal assassin wheels(very expensive wheels) than a nice boot/plate combo with crappy wheels.

Inlines are pretty easy to have a descent skate for cheap. you can use a cheap boot/frame and put good wheels on it as well, as long as the skaters feet are comfortable the price tag wont matter much to performance.

Don't buy expensive bearings, its a waste. goodwill/thrift shop around for old skates with "abec 1-9" numbers on there for the bearings if you need some. many times you can get an entire set of bearings (and other skate parts) for 5 bucks. Wheels make a enormous impact compared to bearings, I can't stress enough to buy good wheels. Also not all expensive quad wheels are good, so buyer beware!

Other advantages with quads is you can buy a larger plate for a younger kid, which can go through several mounts before it becomes too small. Using cleats as boots, which can be obtained from thrift store shopping or butchering this years soccer shoe since it will be too small next year, and mounting that puppy. Essentially athletic shoes with reinforcements will work, stiffer sole helps. cut/grind the cleats off and slap a plate on them.

Edit
Ebay some skates, typically you would want to look for skates that MSRP @ 200$ like SureGrip Carrera(boot style #2) usually available for around 40-70$ shipped, if you can find them in your sizes needed.

Vanilla juniors are a great and durable package skate, at 200 MSRP, fair resale too.
AWESOME INFO! thanks a lot!
Old January 23rd, 2017, 06:18 AM   #6
bigred875

Other then the one you mentioned...what are good wheels for wood that won't break the bank?

If his boot is a 6 what size plate do you think I can look for to get him going?
Old January 23rd, 2017, 03:25 PM   #7
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

There are several "good" wheels for under $100/set of 8. Look here: http://www.rollerskateusa.com/Roller...how=180&page=1. I have purchased skate parts from them and they're good to work with. The owner replies personally to all emails.

Ideally, you'd want a set that would be good at any rink they'd be skating at. I prefer aluminum hubbed wheels, but mostly because I'm heavier (just under 190 pounds), but for kids, it probably doesn't matter. Sure-Grip, Hyper (also actually made by Sure-Grip now), Backspin, Atom, Radar, and Bones are all good wheel brands.

Pick a wheel in the low to mid 90's for durometer (hardness), that's the "A" marking on the wheel. If you go too hard, the wheels will roll great, but will be slippery on uncoated floors.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 06:25 PM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Best all around wheels under 100$ is cosmic superflys. Hands down. I use them outdoors(great for smoother concrete/asphalt) or indoors. Similar performance to 88A RBT (rollerbones turbos)
Old January 23rd, 2017, 06:58 PM   #9
bigred875

This is all very helpful, thanks!
Old January 23rd, 2017, 06:59 PM   #10
bigred875

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
There are several "good" wheels for under $100/set of 8. Look here: http://www.rollerskateusa.com/Roller...how=180&page=1. I have purchased skate parts from them and they're good to work with. The owner replies personally to all emails.

Ideally, you'd want a set that would be good at any rink they'd be skating at. I prefer aluminum hubbed wheels, but mostly because I'm heavier (just under 190 pounds), but for kids, it probably doesn't matter. Sure-Grip, Hyper (also actually made by Sure-Grip now), Backspin, Atom, Radar, and Bones are all good wheel brands.

Pick a wheel in the low to mid 90's for durometer (hardness), that's the "A" marking on the wheel. If you go too hard, the wheels will roll great, but will be slippery on uncoated floors.
plus the aluminum hubs look badass :-)
Old January 26th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #11
Altpensacola

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
Hi All! My son and nephew are turning 9 and looking to upgrade from their "kids" skates. My son wants speed style quads like dad and my nephew is looking for inlines. We will be session skating on hardwood. Thanks!
First set up email notices for whenever skates appear on Craig list.

Or Buy the skates from the rink IF they will include a entry gift card (here they do 9-12 month cards!)
I've compared and considering shipping and handling our rinks skate package deals compare to on line stuff.

Tell them the better they keep them from damage the more you will get for resale later on Craig list....
I've gotten up to 50% back.

I have never found bearings at thrift stores or garage sales that were not trashed!