S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old May 10th, 2019, 03:08 PM   #1
llamont

Default PowerDyne Reactor Neo Plates

Hello all,

I am a ďbegintermediateĒ quad skater whoís getting back into the sport after more than 15 years away. Also, I am new to this site and (I think) this is my first post. I currently skate 2-3 nights per week and I purchased some new Riedell Juice (120 boots/PowrDyne Reactor Neo plates). I have Powell Bones Super Elite 101A wheels on them. I would really like to upgrade the boot to a 336 Tribute or an Edea Classica. I like the Reactor Neo plates but my basis for comparison is very limited as itís all I know (with the exception of the nylon plates I had before). I am looking for opinions about the Reactor Neo plates being mounted on a higher quality boot. Should I also look into trying new plates or are these adequate since I like them. Thanks in advance.
llamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 06:29 PM   #2
zebra1922

I would ask why the urge to move to an 'upgrade' boot already?

I'm probably just beyond beginner stage and I'm using the Ridell 111 on the Thrust plate with Radar Riva wheels. I'm looking to upgrade. because I'm heavy and I'm finding the flex in the nylon plate limiting, and I would like some harder wheels. My upgrade will be to pretty much the same skate you have bought (Juice) but still using my 111 boot.

What do you feel is missing from your current set up that will be solved/assisted through a different boot?
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:35 PM   #3
llamont

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra1922 View Post
I would ask why the urge to move to an 'upgrade' boot already?

I'm probably just beyond beginner stage and I'm using the Ridell 111 on the Thrust plate with Radar Riva wheels. I'm looking to upgrade. because I'm heavy and I'm finding the flex in the nylon plate limiting, and I would like some harder wheels. My upgrade will be to pretty much the same skate you have bought (Juice) but still using my 111 boot.

What do you feel is missing from your current set up that will be solved/assisted through a different boot?
Honestly, the limitations of my current setup are far beyond my ability. I am not going to outgrow them anytime soon. My reason for upgrading is pure pleasure. Iím sure functionality will play into the equation with time but for now itís more style than anything. There are several folks w/ the 111 and 120 boots on nylon plates who can really groove. There is nothing wrong with my 120 boots Iím just looking for something different. Thanks for your response! Happy skating!
Old May 11th, 2019, 10:46 PM   #4
zebra1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamont View Post
Honestly, the limitations of my current setup are far beyond my ability. I am not going to outgrow them anytime soon. My reason for upgrading is pure pleasure. Iím sure functionality will play into the equation with time but for now itís more style than anything. There are several folks w/ the 111 and 120 boots on nylon plates who can really groove. There is nothing wrong with my 120 boots Iím just looking for something different. Thanks for your response! Happy skating!
A recent SEDS victim not long after retuning to the sport. Best wishes with that (I think I will succumb soon too)
Old May 11th, 2019, 11:26 PM   #5
llamont

What does SEDS mean?
Old May 12th, 2019, 09:54 PM   #6
zebra1922

Skate Equipment Deficiency Syndrome
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:05 AM   #7
llamont

Quote:
Skate Equipment Deficiency Syndrome
That sounds about right!!!
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:45 AM   #8
ursle
Street Skater

So,you understand.
The boot is the most important, tight heel, good blood flow for the toes, a good orthotic.

The plate you have "with" good urethane cushions are fine, plates can be changed, getting new boots means with two plates you have two skates...seds.

Whatabout wheels?
Old May 13th, 2019, 04:40 AM   #9
llamont

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
So,you understand.
The boot is the most important, tight heel, good blood flow for the toes, a good orthotic.

The plate you have "with" good urethane cushions are fine, plates can be changed, getting new boots means with two plates you have two skates...seds.

Whatabout wheels?
@Ursle: Thanks for your input. I was fit into a 10W by a reputable Riedell dealer in the area. Being that this was my first pair of decent skates ever, I didnít want to break the bank out of the gates. I went with the Juice setup as it seemed like a solid intro into the artistic/rhythm arena. The 120 boots are totally adequate for what my abilities demand but Iíd like a higher quality boot. As for wheels and bearings setup, Iím currently skating on 62mm Bones Elite 103A wheels w/ Bones Red Ceramic bearings. I also have a set of 57mm Bones Super Elite 101A wheels w/ Bones Swiss Ceramics installed. I the 57mm/101A wheels have a lot of traction and Iíve found myself coming to a stop sooner than ideally anticipated. Sidebar: Iím a heavier skater @215+ lbs. With the 62mm/103A wheels I feel more comfortable slowing down/stopping as the traction is there without being too much. As for the bearings, I really canít tell a difference between the Chinese made Bones Red Ceramics and the Swiss made Bones Swiss Ceramics. Theyíre both really smooth.
Old May 13th, 2019, 05:50 PM   #10
zebra1922

Quote:
@Ursle: Thanks for your input. I was fit into a 10W by a reputable Riedell dealer in the area. Being that this was my first pair of decent skates ever, I didn’t want to break the bank out of the gates. I went with the Juice setup as it seemed like a solid intro into the artistic/rhythm arena. The 120 boots are totally adequate for what my abilities demand but I’d like a higher quality boot. As for wheels and bearings setup, I’m currently skating on 62mm Bones Elite 103A wheels w/ Bones Red Ceramic bearings. I also have a set of 57mm Bones Super Elite 101A wheels w/ Bones Swiss Ceramics installed. I the 57mm/101A wheels have a lot of traction and I’ve found myself coming to a stop sooner than ideally anticipated. Sidebar: I’m a heavier skater @215+ lbs. With the 62mm/103A wheels I feel more comfortable slowing down/stopping as the traction is there without being too much. As for the bearings, I really can’t tell a difference between the Chinese made Bones Red Ceramics and the Swiss made Bones Swiss Ceramics. They’re both really smooth.
I can offer a good home for those Super Elite 57mm, postage to UK is a bit of a pain though
Old May 13th, 2019, 08:40 PM   #11
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I am NOT a fan of the Reactor Neo. My opinion is it is junk.
Old May 13th, 2019, 09:52 PM   #12
llamont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I am NOT a fan of the Reactor Neo. My opinion is it is junk.
Care to elaborate why you feel it is junk?
Old May 14th, 2019, 04:10 AM   #13
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Care to elaborate why you feel it is junk?
Hopefully these work.
Picture of the pivot pin actually in the pivot cup, note the truck NOT sitting properly on the cushion.

Here is a picture of the truck sitting correctly on the cushion. You can see the pivot closer to the kingpin, rather than in the center of the hole, what you can see is that the ball of the pivot pin actually has pressure against it, and pushes the pivot away from the cushion platform. Even with an adjustable pivot truck, this wouldnt fix anything really. You have to use taller cushions between the baseplate and the truck to get the truck closer to the pivot cup. Then jack the adjustable pivot way out, and that would make virtually no room for the floor side cushion/retainer/nut.

This misalignment causes extra stress to the pivot pins, and usual causes damage if a skater is rougher than usual on their gear.

Old May 14th, 2019, 04:50 AM   #14
llamont

@Mort,

I can see where your frustrations stem from... Do you feel like youíre rough on your gear? Also, what plates do you prefer and why?

Thanks
Old May 14th, 2019, 05:29 AM   #15
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
@Mort,

I can see where your frustrations stem from... Do you feel like youíre rough on your gear? Also, what plates do you prefer and why?

Thanks
These are not my plates, a kid at my rink broke these trucks, I bought him new ones.

I skate an Arius plate that has been modified a fair bit. Cut cushions, different axles, shims for the baseplate, press fit axis pin sleeves made of oilite(bronze) and removed the stabilization pins. While some people like to rag on that plate, I'm happy with it in the modified state I have it's super light weight very rigid and offers the most floor feedback. On the downside, it's very rough outdoors
Old May 14th, 2019, 06:42 AM   #16
zebra1922

I can’t comment on the Neo plate but I do have a set of Pilot F-16 plus on the way as an upgrade from the Thrust plate on my Riedell 120 boots, I’ll let you know what I think when I’ve had them a few weeks.

Look pretty good, light metal, 16 degree king pin, and a nice discount @ derby warehouse.com to $170 for the plus model. Pity the exchange rate is rubbish right now but still cheaper than buying in the UK (£220 for these over here).

Plates this month, wheels next month.

Last edited by zebra1922; May 14th, 2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old May 14th, 2019, 12:41 PM   #17
llamont

Quote:
I canít comment off the Neo plate but I do have a Pilot F-16=plus on the way as my player upgrade for my Riedell 120 boots, Iíll let you know what I think when Iíve had them a few weeks.
That will be great Zebra! Thank you.
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:44 AM   #18
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Plates this month, wheels next month.
I'd save your money for wheels until you can get a set of Scott Corey wheels(unless you need some outdoor wheels). By far worth the cost. I would trade so many of my old sets I bought that retail in the 100-150 range for a single set of his wheels.

Bont Royal Assassins are the easiest way, or you can get in line for some wicked scotts.

Coreyskates.com

Nothing else comes close to the stuff he makes.
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:24 PM   #19
zebra1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I'd save your money for wheels until you can get a set of Scott Corey wheels(unless you need some outdoor wheels). By far worth the cost. I would trade so many of my old sets I bought that retail in the 100-150 range for a single set of his wheels.

Bont Royal Assassins are the easiest way, or you can get in line for some wicked scotts.

Coreyskates.com

Nothing else comes close to the stuff he makes.
Not going to solve the problem of plates flexing excessively due to my weight on a nylon plate though.

Also, I'm not convinced I need a set of custom made wheels all the way from Australia when I can buy a very good off the shelf set cheaper and quicker.

I'm happy with my plan.
Old May 17th, 2019, 07:14 AM   #20
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default Trying to save you money

Quote:
Not going to solve the problem of plates flexing excessively due to my weight on a nylon plate though.

Also, I'm not convinced I need a set of custom made wheels all the way from Australia when I can buy a very good off the shelf set cheaper and quicker.

I'm happy with my plan.
What plate are you thinking is plastic? You said you were on a reactor neo, that's an aluminum plate, aluminum truck setup.

**edit** you weren't the OP who was on a neo, my bad. However a plastic plate will handle more than you think. Unless you're playing derby on the thrust you be surprised what a suspension modification can do for it. Wheels will make the largest impact. /edit

That reminds me of a car saying.
CHEAP/FAST/RELIABLE

You can only pick 2.

I'll go ahead and tell ya, not ONE of the multiple sets of even "high dollar" wheels are worth what 1 set of Scott's are worth(value that is, not MSRP). There are some available in the US for resale if you have the cash in hand. The cost is MORE than worth it. I'll put it in easy to understand examples real fast.(these are not all the wheels I own just a short list)

SureGrip Zombies about 100-110$ MSRP, excellent hub, urethane wears fairly quickly. I can bald a set of zombies in 1 to 2 3 hour sessions, so at least 10% of that session I'm not skating. I know this because I've had more than 4 sets. 89A and 98A

Next up in price range is
Rollerbones Turbos 150$ MSRP also very good hubs, but not as consistent as the zombie hub. Urethane is slightly more durable, takes about 3 normal sessions(8-9 hours) for them to go bald. I've had 3 sets of these wheels. 80A 88A 97A

Assassins are like 180 to 190$ good hubs. I used these wheels for OVER A YEAR, and they still had tread. It took around 100 or more sessions to completely bald them. After over 2 years of skating when I stand them next to a brand new set, you almost cant even tell the difference in height. My micrometer showed about .8mm less OD than a brand new wheel. That's with about 500 to 600 hours of skating on them.

The assassin are 1 ounce lighter PER WHEEL vs the turbos. That's a quarter pound per skate. Wheel weight matters the most as it's the farthest from your foot and impacts your performance the most over any other weight reduction.

The 95A assassins out roll the 97A turbos as well.

I'm sure you figured this, but the assassins out grip the turbos too.

Best thing is ...if you sell your wheels, you wont get but 70 or 80$ out of the turbos, but people will pay almost full or even full price for the Scott products. Used even.

When you get past the price you will see that 1 set of wheels is worth multiple sets of others, easily. It sounds too good to be true, and if you search on this forum you'll find me doubting the durability of Scott's urethane. I've tried it, it made me a believer.

I've been using it for years now, and EVERYONE in my close friends skating group has his wheels on their skates, once I let them try them they were hooked. We all finally saved a bit more money than a typical 120$ set of wheels, bought 1 set and its lasted 4times as long as the competition at only about 50% more cost than the best off the shelf crap you can get at a rink(RBT/Shamans). While being more reliable than any other compound out there because they dont just let go unexpectedly all the while giving the best performance as roll and durability goes too.

Also be aware his prices are in AUD, not USD.