S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old May 27th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #101
TBrown

I just posted a mic drop gif, and then deleted it thinking it would be better to not fan the flames.

My two cents: skate on one leg. Until you can do that and actually power yourself, you're shortchanging what the under push can do. One leg skating also forces you to close off your regular push and really feel the heel carve. Skate like Eddy. Problem solved.
Old May 28th, 2016, 04:15 AM   #102
quantoo

Default unbelievable

but mildly entertaining

Last edited by quantoo; May 29th, 2016 at 02:37 AM.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #103
kentek

Default Ah ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrown View Post
I just posted a mic drop gif, and then deleted it thinking it would be better to not fan the flames.

My two cents: skate on one leg. Until you can do that and actually power yourself, you're shortchanging what the under push can do. One leg skating also forces you to close off your regular push and really feel the heel carve. Skate like Eddy. Problem solved.
Finally, someone gets it! Good job...
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #104
niko

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzzz View Post
To my eye, you do what I and a lot of other skaters tend do, which is initiate the push using the quadriceps rather than the gluteus muscles (gluteus-medius in particular), which is why the fall is underdeveloped and the push is more towards the rear.
Hey mate - do I meet you in Berlin? Looks I owe you a drink for that statement! Concentrated on exactly that after reading and my push is all of a sudden way better, especially the underpush!!! :-)

@Chuck
my .02 to your vid:
#1 - push sideways, not backwards
#2 - deeper knee bend (yes I know it hurts...ask me how my quads feel today...)
#3 - not sure if 125's help with developing technique.
#4 (may be due to you holding the stick trying to get a stable vid) - your hips could be more active in weight transfer. To me it helps when I actively "pull in" the recovery skate, sometimes "cross over" behind the pushing leg's knee.

Regarding all those videos: I watched most of them, skipped Eddy as he is IMO way too extreme for us as intermediate amateurs.
A video that (to me) "says it all" is this older one of Joey on the treadmill. #3 is making it bloody transparent - push to side = longer stride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RclRy_eSzVg

cheers and hope it helps a bit :-)
niko
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #105
bjvircks
Major Trouble

in harmony with comments from Niko and evilzzz (at least I hope the are considered complementary and additive rather than against or contrary) watch how much toe-out Joey has when pushing back and how little toe-out you see when Joey is pushing well to the side. Also, when Joey I pushing back he has a lot of toe-flick at the end of each stroke. As you learn to push to the side you need to make an effort to un-learn the toe flick.

Niko & evilzzz.... you guys agree or disagree with anything I've said?
Old May 29th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #106
niko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
watch how much toe-out Joey has when pushing back and how little toe-out you see when Joey is pushing well to the side. Also, when Joey I pushing back he has a lot of toe-flick at the end of each stroke. As you learn to push to the side you need to make an effort to un-learn the toe flick.

Niko & evilzzz.... you guys agree or disagree with anything I've said?
Yep agreed - I think toe-flick comes automatically when you push backwards (try to lift your heel first when the foot is already trailing behind... ;-))
One of our standard drills (winter and summer) is to do some laps pushing with all wheels down, strictrly sideways, ideally trying to push into 2 / 10 o'clock position at the end of the push. Helps also to improve knee bend

cheers
niko
niko is offline   Reply With Quote