S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old April 10th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #1
shadowxp2006

Default Getting back into Skating, need advice on new Inline Setup

Currently, i have a Bont Vaypor that is slightly too big for me with a Bont Sniper frame, Bone Swiss Ceramics and Hyper BankRobber SE wheels. I am looking to get back into skating to try and get healthier. All of the new options in Inlines really have me confused about what I should be buying to make sure it all works so I am asking for some help. For the record, I mostly only inline skate indoors.

I am currently looking at buying a Bont Vaypor 2pt (preferably 3 pt -- although i ma not sure what the advantages of 2 pt vs 3 pt). I'd like to give the S-Frame Mag a try and Ceramic bearings. I want a wheel that is comparable to my Hyper BankRobber wheels -- very grippy wheel even now after years of use.

Thanks for any and all help in advance!
shadowxp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 12:44 AM   #2
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowxp2006 View Post
Currently, i have a Bont Vaypor that is slightly too big for me with a Bont Sniper frame, Bone Swiss Ceramics and Hyper BankRobber SE wheels. I am looking to get back into skating to try and get healthier. All of the new options in Inlines really have me confused about what I should be buying to make sure it all works so I am asking for some help. For the record, I mostly only inline skate indoors.

I am currently looking at buying a Bont Vaypor 2pt (preferably 3 pt -- although i ma not sure what the advantages of 2 pt vs 3 pt). I'd like to give the S-Frame Mag a try and Ceramic bearings. I want a wheel that is comparable to my Hyper BankRobber wheels -- very grippy wheel even now after years of use.

Thanks for any and all help in advance!
I would recommend that you NOT go with the 3-point setup for one simple reason, it doesn't work with 3 wheel setups like 3x125 which is rapidly becoming popular. Also, if you do go with a 3-point you are limited to Bont frames.

The Vaypor 2-pt with 195mm mounting is a pretty good choice for the price range. Be sure to use their sizing wizard to figure out what will fit you. It takes into account length and width of the foot. Stock Bont boots tend to be narrow in the toe area and the overall Bont size is bigger than street shoes so make sure you use the wizard. I wear a size 9 Nike and only a size 7W Bont boot.

As far as wheels, Matter outdoor wheels like the G13 seem to last for a long time when used indoors and only indoors. If you use them outdoors, they will no longer work indoors. TLTF (kind of the old Hyper) outdoor wheels also seem to last a fairly long time when used indoors.

If you have any specific questions, feel free ask them.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:23 AM   #3
shadowxp2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
I would recommend that you NOT go with the 3-point setup for one simple reason, it doesn't work with 3 wheel setups like 3x125 which is rapidly becoming popular. Also, if you do go with a 3-point you are limited to Bont frames.

The Vaypor 2-pt with 195mm mounting is a pretty good choice for the price range. Be sure to use their sizing wizard to figure out what will fit you. It takes into account length and width of the foot. Stock Bont boots tend to be narrow in the toe area and the overall Bont size is bigger than street shoes so make sure you use the wizard. I wear a size 9 Nike and only a size 7W Bont boot.

As far as wheels, Matter outdoor wheels like the G13 seem to last for a long time when used indoors and only indoors. If you use them outdoors, they will no longer work indoors. TLTF (kind of the old Hyper) outdoor wheels also seem to last a fairly long time when used indoors.

If you have any specific questions, feel free ask them.
Thanks for the awesome advice, Bont has retired/discontinued selling the Vaypor in a 3 point setup so I am going with the 2 pt. I am definitely going to have to do the wizard as the current Vaypor i have is slightly too big.

As far as wheels go, thanks i'll look into both brands -- I am just trying to find something that is comparable to the BankRobber SEs in 84A hardness.
Old April 11th, 2016, 12:00 PM   #4
WJCIV

Roll'x XBird wheels are 83-85A, grip very well on poorly coated wood floors, last well enough, and are decently priced. They don't roll quite as well as top race wheels, are single banded, and may be difficult to obtain in the US. The hubs are also interesting. I find there to be a bit of a vibration at lower speeds due to the flexing, but it isn't really problematic.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #5
shadowxp2006

Thanks for the awesome replies so far everyone. My next question is: should I be considering the Magnesium S-Frame over the Aluminum frames? I am trying to do more indoor speed racing from time to time and maybe getting back to doing Athens-to-Atlanta.
Old April 11th, 2016, 08:41 PM   #6
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowxp2006 View Post
Thanks for the awesome replies so far everyone. My next question is: should I be considering the Magnesium S-Frame over the Aluminum frames? I am trying to do more indoor speed racing from time to time and maybe getting back to doing Athens-to-Atlanta.
My personal opinion is no. I had the magnesium Sframe and it was terrible for indoor. Way to flexy. Also, it is not available in a 2-pt configuration only 3-pt.
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #7
shadowxp2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
My personal opinion is no. I had the magnesium Sframe and it was terrible for indoor. Way to flexy. Also, it is not available in a 2-pt configuration only 3-pt.
Ah, I asked Bont about that and they said I could use the 3PF Mounts they sale to mount it onto the 2 Point Vaypor. With that being said, I think i'll reconsider the use of the magnesium frame indoors then. Thanks!
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #8
bjvircks
Major Trouble

you are confusing 3PF type boot/mount with the 3 PT boot/frame. yes, a 3PF will mount any standard 195 frames. Bont 3 PT boot will only work with Bont 3 PT frames.
Old April 12th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #9
shadowxp2006

hey guys, i wanted to check in and let you know that I pulled the trigger.

Bont Vaypor 2 point with the Bont 7050 3PF Frame (that's what was on the customize page and since people had recommended against the Magnesium S-Frame, I went with what Bont recommended), colored in Black/Yellow.

Bone Swiss Super 6 Bearings

Matter G13 110mm F2 Wheels

Thanks for everyone's advice and I will post pictures (when they get here in 7 weeks.. )
Old April 13th, 2016, 01:30 PM   #10
kufman

Sounds good, enjoy!
Old April 13th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #11
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
you are confusing 3PF type boot/mount with the 3 PT boot/frame. yes, a 3PF will mount any standard 195 frames. Bont 3 PT boot will only work with Bont 3 PT frames.
Exactly. The original 3 point boots and frames have 3 mounting points all at the same level (height from axle level.) All 3 of these points mount to the boots. This is a Bont only thing for both the boots and the frames.

3PF frames have the standard 1/4 inch higher rear mount that inline and short track ice boots have had for as long as there's been a standard (the Bont 3PF frames are all 195mm mount, though the 1/4 inch higher rear is standard for both 195mm and 165mm standard frames and boots.) The 3PF frames just add a mounting platform in the center, between the center two wheels, to add their little bolt-on mount that can add stiffness to the center of any standard 195mm mount boot. 3PF frames are a Bont only frame, but they can mount to any standard 195mm boot and the center mounts are also supposed to work on standard boots as well (might not do well with boots that have odd shapes on the bottom, like Kaiser's and PowerSlide Tripple-X boots.)

It seems that most people just use the 3PF frames as normal 2 point frames.