S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old April 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #221
sylv

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
Ok, time to fess up. I'm the husband in question :-) Hi James!
now that's a freaky coincidence!

And this is where i say, come join us on cityskate if you haven't already
sylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #222
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylv View Post
now that's a freaky coincidence!

And this is where i say, come join us on cityskate if you haven't already
I have done city skates in times gone by; however Wednesday is speed training night at Caribbean, so I have a conflict - yes I could make it in time, but I'd have to drive pretty fast to do so, and I'm always kinda nackered from training anyhow.....
Old April 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #223
sylv

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
I have done city skates in times gone by; however Wednesday is speed training night at Caribbean, so I have a conflict - yes I could make it in time, but I'd have to drive pretty fast to do so, and I'm always kinda nackered from training anyhow.....
Next Wednesday is ANZAC day, a public holiday
Old April 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #224
colibri

wham bam small world kinda had a slight tingle when I saw the name merlin but didn't think anything of it :P I rang Neil tonight and going to bayside tomorrow night to check out some stuff hes got sorted out hes got a few boots and frames he can do for that price come down after work if ya can
colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #225
inlina
ABEC42

OK, looks like Melbournites are hi-jacking this thread!

Sylvia...how is the turn out for city skates these days? I haven't really had time to skate it lately. I might have to come this week and teach you some other method of stopping! It was good while Rick(??) was away in the US....has he come back?

Colibri/Merlin....I have been meaning to check out Carribean Fri/Sat night again. I was skating Eltham Sun nights a lot...but the speed skaters started to target me in red rover...Eltham speed club doesn't like getting beaten by hockey players! It's not my fault you lot on 5 wheels/big wheels can't turn and can't stop/start well. Anyway, can a 5 year old (almost 6) survive on a Fri/Sat night at Carribean?

CG
inlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #226
sylv

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlina View Post
OK, looks like Melbournites are hi-jacking this thread!

Sylvia...how is the turn out for city skates these days? I haven't really had time to skate it lately. I might have to come this week and teach you some other method of stopping! It was good while Rick(??) was away in the US....has he come back?

Colibri/Merlin....I have been meaning to check out Carribean Fri/Sat night again. I was skating Eltham Sun nights a lot...but the speed skaters started to target me in red rover...Eltham speed club doesn't like getting beaten by hockey players! It's not my fault you lot on 5 wheels/big wheels can't turn and can't stop/start well. Anyway, can a 5 year old (almost 6) survive on a Fri/Sat night at Carribean?

CG
so now you notice me
turnout is so-so (i'd say 5 is the average number), yes Ric is back... but he goes interstate/overseas often so yeah... i'm going to the Comedy Festival this coming Wednesday, which means i can only skate until about 9:40 assuming we stick near the city... and assuming i can be bothered putting on skates after a 10 hour work day... i think i'll only come to say hi but not skate... i also can't be bothered lugging my skates to work at 5am!
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #227
azuren

hi everyone, im Rei (pronouce it ray)
got into skating about 2 months ago
im currently 18, 19 in a week or so
im the only one that skates in the neighborhood (or in california! i kid, i joke)
first i got my fatty pro's for aggro/vert for off season training for skiing because i just started hitting parks with my new skis (fischer maunga if anyone cares). i knew about slaloming in skiies (never knew the word, i thought it was speed racing) and i didnt know slaloming even existed in skating. so i got into slaloming more than vert/jumps because its much more convinent and looked more fun. im a guy but, with 2 sisters and being in the middle made me... more feminine than other guys so... yea haha
im asian if anyone cares for that matter

currently i have 2 skates
k2 fatty pro
salomon Chill LX fitness skates? (the one with the shoes thats detachable)

currently, im at school so... maybe i'll update it later

Last edited by azuren; April 21st, 2007 at 04:37 AM. Reason: came back home
azuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #228
Windward

Default Hi from Georgia

Figured I should introduce myself before I ask questions about skates.

47, male, a fitness skater. Married, 3 kids, 1 dog. N. Metro Atlanta (Alpharetta).

Trying to keep my knees in shape so I can play good tennis after my boys ditch me. Right now, they're 8, 12 and 13 so I coach a ton of baseball and don't have the schedule freedom to meet up for tennis after work but I have enough free time to stay in shape.

I have a 10 yr old pair of Rollerblades(TM) which I like. A pretty solid boot. Soft wheels, so OK for outdoors. But I'm not very tricky or cool on them.

I missed skating on quads. I spent 7th and 8th grade around the rink on Hogan Road in SW Atlanta, so that's my style. Just skating and dancing. Not real fancy, just boppin to the beat. So I ordered a pair of quads last week. SureGrip "Fame". Happy with the way they handle in my basement but the comfort is horrible.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself before I start asking questions about how to improve the skate or whether there's an adult skate night in the N Fulton/ Cumming area.

Howdy! Thanks for the nice website. Y'all are cool!
Windward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:44 AM   #229
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Cool Hello

Hi azuren and Windward

Good to see you found the intro yourself.
You'll find a lot of good folks here with great advice and even greater stories...lol.

Enjoy
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:40 AM   #230
chmasy

Hi All my second post here, 44 male NewEngland CT area, started skating when I was 16, Love it so much became skate gaurd at local rollerskating rink, after that started taking lessions, Coolest thing I ever saw was a broken ankle camel. Now married and with kids my kids are starting to skate. So the old bug has gotten me again. Now I just have to get some skates, thoses rentals really suck!!! I used to have Riedell 192, Snyder super deluxe all riding on tiger bones wheels with fafnir bearings. What happen to them? I totally crushed them skating with the dog.
chmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #231
Ruffroad

Default Howdy

Have made posts in other threads before finding this one and decided to weigh in with and intro. This is my last year Mother nature will allow me to participate in the quad decade. Started skating during single digit years old and continued with great irregularity thru the teen yrs. Moved from Missouri to Texas in mid 80's and began having kids with their Mother (just celebrated our 25th annv. this month). Five kids (girl, boy, g, g, g) 5 o/s cats and 2 o/s dogs on 4.66 acres in the country along a rough paved road (thus the name -Ruffroad). Got re-infected with the skating bug this February and drug the kids to the skating rink for the last two weeks staight (last week was my first time on inlines - this week I lasted the whole skate session on them). I agree with the statement rental skate vaccuum air!!! This forum has been a fantastic source of information and encouragement. Am going to be trying on inline skates for size this weekend. Hope to purchase some in a fortnight. Thanks to all and keep it rolling.

Bumpity-Bump-Bump...Bumpity-Bump-Bump...
Ruffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #232
E. Chu Folunch

Thumbs up better late than never

I found this forum by way of looking into buying my first pair of quad skates. I guess i had planned to get some information and dissappear, but then i found it to be such a great source of all kinds of conversations, skate and otherwise, fun and games too, and i found myself visiting and chiming in often. So I figure i should make the formal introduction.
I chose the name new2sk8 because i never skated as a kid. I decided to learn to inline to take my border collie on some of the rural trails around here in upstate NY, and while the weather was being winter I started to learn at a rink. I saw other skaters having so much fun on quads, i tried that and absolutely loved it.
I bought my first pair of cheap quads against the advise of many here, and while i thought they were ok, my husband just purchased a slightly higher end pair (got him hooked too!!) and the stability of his compared to mine has me thinking I'll be upgrading very shortly. Live and learn!! Now that it's spring i'm skating outside on my inlines as well as inside and i like that combination a lot.
Anyway, I'm an amature photographer, a professional photo retoucher, and a certified pilates instructor in the hudson valley ny. wonder if i'll be able to change my user name to something more personal since i plan to stick around and become no longer so new to skating?
thanks for all the advice and laughs so far,
suzanne
E. Chu Folunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #233
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
wonder if i'll be able to change my user name to something more personal since i plan to stick around and become no longer so new to skating?
Sure, just send me a PM (private message) or send email to kathiefry@skatelog.com with your new user name and I will make the change for you.

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #234
E. Chu Folunch

Wink thanks kathie

New2sk8 has been officially banished from the forum. And it's about time. Guilty of plagiarism, spelling errors, typos, purchasing inferior quad skates, I mean where does it end?
Her whereabouts are unknown, but Iíve heard rumors of a paper bag headed tote bag carrying inliner spotted on the trail, mumbling something about being a falure (whatever that is), and I have seen a large group of turkey vultures circling above a sharp turn in the trail where there is a 100ft drop down to sharp rocks.
I, E. Chu Folunch, have graciously volunteered to step up to the plate, pinch hit as it were. I am probably not a better typist, I canít spell, and I have yet to purchase a good pair of quad skates. However, I have something new2sk8 didnít, a cool roller derby name. Since my chances of ever being a roller derby girl are slim to none, I will use that name here to scare off wood-be attacks on my spelling and typing skills.

So, don mess wid me, I'm E. Chu Folunch.
E. Chu Folunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #235
Edocsil

Hey guys,

My name is Sean. I've rollerbladed for about 8 years and recently started increasing my distance and speed. I'm 18 year old, like in Missouri, and love my skates. um, besides that, I hope to make some new friends here and continue to learn more about this GREAT sport!
Edocsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #236
LaurieFlood

Default Great Name Choice

Quote:
So, don mess wid me, I'm E. Chu Folunch.
lol
I think that is the best one here.
LaurieFlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:50 PM   #237
Jazzdoll
Topless in Lake Oswego

Hi all,

I'm Diane (39) and have recently started skating again after a 7 year hiatus (when I quit my job managing a skating rink). I started skating recreationally as a kid, but really got into skating when I began working at a neighborhood rink (http://www.sunriserollerland.com/) in 1987. I've been told I was the first female skating rink deejay in Northern California ("Jazz" was my nickname) and I continued to work my way up into the Assistant Manager position where I remained until I quit in 2000. Speed skated competitively for a couple seasons in the early '90s (right before the inlines took over) and paid more for my quads than I did for my first car. I gave inlines a shot, was a charter member of the IISA and still have my Bont Bluebottom/Rapidline set-up, but am a quad girl at heart.

Within the last year we relocated to Portland and I discovered a fabulous rink (http://www.oakspark.com/) where I've been introducing my four-year-old son to the joys of skating (and rediscovering it myself). I actually found this forum while searching online for new wheels and boots (my post pregnancy feet aren't happy with my old boots anymore , and none of my "old school" wheels are giving me the grip I want on this floor).

I'm sure that's more than you really wanted to know, so...

Old May 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM   #238
LaurieFlood

Default Sunrise Roller Rink

Welcome, Diane,

Could you tell me a bit about that rink - Sunrise? I live an hour from there and would like to try out a rink. I skate outdoors. I don't go down to Sac often now, just once a month, but would like to just see what it is like. Is the surface of the rink good? What types of skates can I bring in to skate on? Do I need to remove my heel brake? Sorry for the million questions, but I have thought about trying out the indoor experience when I go down there for my Trader Joe's run.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:41 AM   #239
Jazzdoll
Topless in Lake Oswego

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieFlood View Post
Welcome, Diane,

Could you tell me a bit about that rink - Sunrise? I live an hour from there and would like to try out a rink. I skate outdoors. I don't go down to Sac often now, just once a month, but would like to just see what it is like. Is the surface of the rink good? What types of skates can I bring in to skate on? Do I need to remove my heel brake? Sorry for the million questions, but I have thought about trying out the indoor experience when I go down there for my Trader Joe's run.
Thanks for the welcome

Of the five rinks in Sacramento, Sunrise is the one to hit for your indoor experience . The floor is the largest (93x187) and it's a beautiful hardrock maple. Remember, it's been 7 years since I worked there, but I know quads and inlines (as long as there are no exposed bolts that could scratch the floor if you were to fall) have both always been allowed, and heel brakes weren't a problem, either. Hope that helps!

Last edited by Jazzdoll; May 2nd, 2007 at 04:15 PM.
Jazzdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:04 AM   #240
LaurieFlood

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info, Diane. I may even go down to the flatlands and check it out tomorrow, since it is supposed to rain.