S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Other Forums > Off-Topic Discussions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Discussions You can use this forum to talk about any non-skating topic you want.

Old April 29th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #81
MistyMills
Little Ref Riding Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammn'beck View Post
what is this celiac??.........I would like to get to the bottom of whatever was/is causing the itching.....I am noticing that there is still alittle itching.....it cropped up on me again last night............it IS horrible.....
usually ONLY at night.....nooooo.......I don't have fleas in my bed!!
I know it's something internal.......
I still have been eating organic and no meat......I feel great, but the itching
seems to have surfaced again.......is anyone familiar with this condition??
I'm going for a physical in early july, if it's not gone by then, I will talk to my doctor.
From http://www.celiac.org/index.php:

Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH) is skin manifestation of celiac disease characterized by blistering, intensely itchy skin. The rash has a symmetrical distribution and is most frequently found on the face, elbows, knees and buttocks. DH patients can have gastrointestinal damage without perceptible symptoms.

NOTE: One of the Pathologists I worked for at the hospital specialized in skin conditions and told me that the 'rash' might appear under the skin and not be seen, but can be felt. I know of some people who get what appears to be an acne breakout from gluten. So it varies by person.

About Celiac in general from http://www.emedicinehealth.com/celia...article_em.htm:

Celiac sprue, also known as celiac disease, gluten-sensitive enteropathy, and gluten-induced enteropathy, is a chronic disease of the digestive tract that interferes with the digestion and absorption of nutrients from food. People with celiac sprue cannot tolerate gluten, a protein commonly found in wheat, rye, barley, and to some degree, oats. When affected individuals ingest foods containing gluten, the lining (mucosa) of the intestine becomes damaged due to the body's immune reaction. Because the lining of the intestine contains essential enzymes for digestion and absorption, its destruction leads to malabsorption, a difficulty in absorption of food and essential nutrients. As result, celiac sprue is often considered a malabsorption disorder.

Persons with celiac sprue experience improvement in the condition when on a strict, gluten-free diet and relapse when dietary gluten is reintroduced. With treatment, celiac sprue is rarely fatal. However, untreated and unrecognized celiac disease may slightly increase the risk of developing intestinal lymphoma, a form of cancer.

Celiac sprue is a genetic disease; the genes for this condition may be transmitted to some family members and not to others. Sometimes the disease is triggered, or becomes apparent for the first time, after surgery, pregnancy, childbirth, viral infection, or severe emotional stress. Celiac sprue is rare in persons with an African American, Caribbean, or Asian background. Females are slightly more affected than males. Although celiac sprue can manifest at any age, the detection of this disease usually peaks at 8-12 months and in the third to fourth decade of life.

The true prevalence of celiac sprue is not known. The increased awareness and the availability of better diagnostic tests have led to the realization that the disease is relatively common. The highest prevalence is in Western Europe and in places where Europeans emigrated, notably North America and Australia. In these regions, celiac sprue affects approximately 1 of every 250-300 individuals. In the United States, the estimated prevalence is 1 case per 3,000 in the population. However, this rate is likely an underestimation; a recent study involving 2,000 healthy blood donors showed an estimated prevalence of 1 case in 300.

NOTE: The last edited-by date on this is: Last Editorial Review: 9/22/2005.

Since then, the figure has changed. Currently it is suspected that the rate of cases is more likely 1 in 22, though the average number of confirmed cases is closer to 1 in 122. Still, pretty high and the number of cases appears to be growing all the time.

I'd ask your doctor to add it to your blood test when you get the next one. It's a simple test to see if you may have it. If you appear to have it, they may want to do a biopsy to determine how bad the damage could be.

The most surprising thing about Celiac is that even dogs can get it, and I assume other animals. I know of dogs who have been diagnosed with it.
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #82
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Anyone wish to talk about homeopathic remedies for allergies? Someone mentioned the local honey and another mentioned the usage of Royal Jelly. Anyone have some other allergy remedies, they would care to mention?

Thank you for any and all information
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #83
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
Anyone wish to talk about homeopathic remedies for allergies? Someone mentioned the local honey and another mentioned the usage of Royal Jelly. Anyone have some other allergy remedies, they would care to mention?

Thank you for any and all information

Should we start a new thread for this? I've got a few that I can add,, some Vedic remedies from eons ago... I've written them down somewhere but I would love to dig them back up and post a few...
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #84
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

there is a non food recipe section, maybe we should start with that place?

Oh please dig them out...I await with a full heart. I don't want the life of pill taking to exceed over a possible pure, simple and natural means of an ending.
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #85
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well I'm celiac too, and was celiac and vegan! There isn't a reason that you cannot be animal free and celiac. Its just a few grains you cant eat. But there are so many other grains, or fruits, etc. you can have. Have you had quinoa, sprouted buckwheat, yams, wild rice, etc? I eat most my carbs presently in the form of fruit. Its more you just have to watch for processed foods. Shoot, I barely have soy too. Thats a big allergen! Just hard to eat out. I would get the Food Allergy Survival Guide by, Jo Stepaniak if you are struggling with cooked food ideas or want to do a food allergy elimination test.
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #86
MistyMills
Little Ref Riding Hood

Whole Foods, Hillers and Trader Joe's all have huge gluten-free sections that make my life fun and easy. I'm lucky to be in Ann Arbor, where every store has a health-food/organic section and most have at least a couple of GF items. There's even a bunch of restaurants in the area with GF menus. Plus, pretty much all of the restaurants have extensive veggie/vegan menus around here. I couldn't be in a better place to live with any sort of food intolerance/allergy.

It's easy to eat out with celiac. Just go to Panera for every meal like I do.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #87
CBrownColors

Default Vegans rock!

Quote:
well, I've been reading this book.....it's called "skinny bitch" by rory freedman and kim barnouin........a friend gave it to me and all I can say is WOW..

Yay! I went vegetarian in August 2007 after watching the movie Earthlings on Google videos. I knew deep inside my goal had to be to go vegan to really live in line with my new ethics. My boyfriend and I have been vegan since January 14th, 2008. We are really happy.

Check out the vegan freak podcast and forum when you are ready to really do it. Well, check out the podcast but you can't join the forum until you are ready to commit to your new ethics.

It brought a huge smile to my face to see your excitement and fervor!

Jammn'beck anytime you have questions or need any kind of support with this please feel free to email me

I was hoping to find some vegans on here I'm really happy
CBrownColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:54 AM   #88
BleeckerSt_Girl

Quote:
........I would like to get to the bottom of whatever was/is causing the itching.....I am noticing that there is still alittle itching.....it cropped up on me again last night............it IS horrible.....
usually ONLY at night.....nooooo.......I don't have fleas in my bed!!
I know it's something internal.......
I still have been eating organic and no meat......I feel great, but the itching
seems to have surfaced again.......is anyone familiar with this condition??
I'm going for a physical in early july, if it's not gone by then, I will talk to my doctor.
Sometimes a liver problem can cause night time itching of hands and feet:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #89
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMills View Post
Whole Foods, Hillers and Trader Joe's all have huge gluten-free sections that make my life fun and easy. I'm lucky to be in Ann Arbor, where every store has a health-food/organic section and most have at least a couple of GF items. There's even a bunch of restaurants in the area with GF menus. Plus, pretty much all of the restaurants have extensive veggie/vegan menus around here. I couldn't be in a better place to live with any sort of food intolerance/allergy.

It's easy to eat out with celiac. Just go to Panera for every meal like I do.

What do they have at Panera? I usually go to Baja Fresh if I eat out. I found some really good (but pricey) GF bread. But I wont go all the way back vegan. I have good blood work now, perfect.. My Dr says I'm really healthy!
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #90
peter

I have a vegetarian day each week

Breakfast - toast and marmalade

Morning break - fried egg on toast

Lunch - chips and beans

Evening meal - beans, fried egg and chips.

I don't feel that good after a day as a vege so I couldn't do it permanently
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #91
colibri

typical you've read one book about a topic and think you know everything
colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #92
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

I'm having Steak and eggs for Breakfast---cause I want to. Yum Yum---
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #93
Drella
alive with pleasure

Default Famous Veg Quotes

“Oh, my fellow men, do not defile your bodies with sinful foods. We have corn, we have apples bending down the branches with their weight, and grapes swelling on the vines. There are sweet-flavored herbs, and vegetables which can be cooked and softened over the fire, nor are you denied milk or thyme-scented honey. The earth affords a lavish supply of riches, of innocent foods, and offers you banquets that involve no bloodshed or slaughter; only beasts satisfy their hunger with flesh, and not even all of those, because horses, cattle, and sheep live on grass.” -Pythagorus

“Can you really ask what reason Pythagorus had for abstinence from flesh? For my part I rather wonder both by what accident and in what state of mind the first man touched his mouth to gore and brought his lips to the flesh of a dead creature, set forth tables of dead, stale bodies, and ventured to call food and nourishment the parts that had a little before bellowed and cried, moved and lived. How could eyes endure the slaughter when throats were slit and hides flayed and limbs torn from limb? How could his nose endure the stench? How was it that the pollution did not turn away his taste, which made contact with sores of others and sucked juices and serums from mortal wounds? It is certainly not lions or wolves that we eat out of self-defense; on the contrary, we ignore these and slaughter harmless, tame creatures without stings or teeth to harm us. For the sake of a little flesh we deprive them of sun, of light, of the duration of life to which they are entitled by birth and being.

“If you declare that you are naturally designed for such a diet, then first kill for yourself what you want to eat. Do it, however, only through your own resources, unaided by cleaver or cudgel or any kind of ax.-”The Roman Plutarch, in an essay “On Eating Flesh”.
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #94
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

I feel for the helpless radish.
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #95
Drella
alive with pleasure

Well don't you silly milly

If you haven't noticed,, they don't run, cry or bleed when cut into...
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #96
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
Sometimes a liver problem can cause night time itching of hands and feet:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
So can scabies!!!

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #97
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
I'm having Steak and eggs for Breakfast---cause I want to. Yum Yum---
Eggs? Don't you mean chicken abortuses???

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #98
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8scott View Post
Eggs? Don't you mean chicken abortuses???

----Scott
Bet no one has ever had deep fried chicken feets---they be yummy, like pig skins.
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #99
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drella View Post
Well don't you silly milly

If you haven't noticed,, they don't run, cry or bleed when cut into...
They cry inside though---for the homeless children
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #100
Drella
alive with pleasure

I see you're slowly adapting to my ways.

Thee path of thy un-forsaken.............