S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old October 11th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #1
redhed100

Default Help Please

I originally posted this in the Quad forum, but after getting a chance to read more, it fits better here.

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me out. I skated a lot when I was a kid, up to about 18 or so. So it had been 20 years since I skated. In March, I randomly took my 4 year old daughter skating. The next thing you know, I am being recruited into a newly forming roller derby league. Before I started that, though, I bought a lower end pair of Riedell R3's which were so tight around the widest part of my foot, I had to send them back. I ended up with a pair of Rock GT-50's made by Sure Grip, which were also the lower end. I had assured myself that I would not be putting a lot of money into this, and that I would not be purchasing pads and a helmet.

Of course that is not how it worked out and I am addicted. More to the workout I get out of it and the fact that I love anything on wheels. So I noticed that the ball of my right foot (the one below the big toe on the inside of the foot) starts to hurt as soon as I start skating hard. So I end up having to completely lift my right leg and skate on my left leg as much as possible.

I tried adding an additional insole on top of the original. That helped a little bit for a while and then it got worse, so I removed the extra insole. I tried gel inserts on just that spot, and it did not work. I then tried waxed laces, because I kept having to tighten the boots. This helped a little bit, but then my foot was hurting in places it had never hurt before, because I was lacing too tight.

I am convinced that my skates are holding me back. I was looking on LowPriceSkates.com at some options on the higher end of the spectrum. I am willing to spend about $500.00. The problem is that I have no idea if better skates will really help. I am having an extremely difficult time choosing a skate. I do want better turning action as well, I would love for my skates to be more responsive. I looked at Jackson, Riedell & Bonts. I have eliminated Bonts, because if I don't like them, I am stuck with them as they are custom. Those new Riedell blue streaks are beautiful, but they may not be wide enough. ??? Not sure....

I know someone here must be an expert on skates and fitting. I would really appreciate some help, and I Thank You all in advance for anything that could help me. I live in Missouri, near St. Louis, so there are NO skate shops. I would love to try things on first, but that is not an option.

Sincerely,
Colleen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
redhed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhed100 View Post
I originally posted this in the Quad forum, but after getting a chance to read more, it fits better here.

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me out. I skated a lot when I was a kid, up to about 18 or so. So it had been 20 years since I skated. In March, I randomly took my 4 year old daughter skating. The next thing you know, I am being recruited into a newly forming roller derby league. Before I started that, though, I bought a lower end pair of Riedell R3's which were so tight around the widest part of my foot, I had to send them back. I ended up with a pair of Rock GT-50's made by Sure Grip, which were also the lower end. I had assured myself that I would not be putting a lot of money into this, and that I would not be purchasing pads and a helmet.

Of course that is not how it worked out and I am addicted. More to the workout I get out of it and the fact that I love anything on wheels.

Ha wait till ya catch SEDS.

So I noticed that the ball of my right foot (the one below the big toe on the inside of the foot) starts to hurt as soon as I start skating hard. So I end up having to completely lift my right leg and skate on my left leg as much as possible. I tried adding an additional insole on top of the original. That helped a little bit for a while and then it got worse, so I removed the extra insole. I tried gel inserts on just that spot, and it did not work. I then tried waxed laces, because I kept having to tighten the boots. This helped a little bit, but then my foot was hurting in places it had never hurt before, because I was lacing too tight.

Have you tried loosening the suspension a bit or putting SG Super Cushions on the plates?? That may help.

I am convinced that my skates are holding me back. I was looking on LowPriceSkates.com at some options on the higher end of the spectrum. I am willing to spend about $500.00. The problem is that I have no idea if better skates will really help. I am having an extremely difficult time choosing a skate. I do want better turning action as well, I would love for my skates to be more responsive. I looked at Jackson, Riedell & Bonts. I have eliminated Bonts, because if I don't like them, I am stuck with them as they are custom. Those new Riedell blue streaks are beautiful, but they may not be wide enough. ??? Not sure....

I know someone here must be an expert on skates and fitting.

There are rumors I'm pretty good at it.

I would really appreciate some help, and I Thank You all in advance for anything that could help me. I live in Missouri, near St. Louis, so there are NO skate shops. I would love to try things on first, but that is not an option.

Sincerely,
Colleen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sent ya a PM.
Old October 11th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #3
redhed100

Default adjustments made

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I replied to your pm. Also, I have done adjustments, but I am pretty sure I have adjusted to the best of my ability and another skater has helped who has experience adjusting them a bit.

I have not tried any other cushions, as I am not wanting to dump any more $$$$ in these skates. Once I get new ones, they will become outdoor skates.

Just for info, even if I never bout with our team, I will skate until I can no longer do so. It has really helped me focus my training off skates. I am an exercise fiend. I go to the gym 6-7 days a week, cycle when I can, swim when I can, now I skate 3 times a week. So no matter what, I want something that I can derby in, and just do freaky fast laps in.

Someone told me skates will never be comfortable. I don't believe them. There has to be a way.......
Old October 11th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I replied to your pm.

I'll got to that in a bit.

Also, I have done adjustments, but I am pretty sure I have adjusted to the best of my ability and another skater has helped who has experience adjusting them a bit.

I have not tried any other cushions, as I am not wanting to dump any more $$$$ in these skates. Once I get new ones, they will become outdoor skates.

Cushions are not bank breakers and may help the feet, a lot. Even if you take them outside they will hurt if you leave them as is.

Just for info, even if I never bout with our team, I will skate until I can no longer do so. It has really helped me focus my training off skates. I am an exercise fiend. I go to the gym 6-7 days a week, cycle when I can, swim when I can, now I skate 3 times a week. So no matter what, I want something that I can derby in, and just do freaky fast laps in.

Skate more, other stuff less....

Someone told me skates will never be comfortable. I don't believe them.

Good for you. They lied...or were speaking from very limited personal experience with poorly fitted / set up sk8s. I have more than a few pair of my own. NONE are uncomfortable. Some more comfy than others sure, but none are uncomfortable.

There has to be a way.......

And you are pointed in the right direction..
Old October 11th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #5
redhed100

Default Cushions

I got whatever cushions came with the skates, but I am very mechanically inclined, so I could probably change them. The only thing is, I don't know what I have, or where I should be.
Old October 11th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #6
redhed100

Default Emailed not PM

I emailed not Pm'd. Sorry for the confusion.
Old October 11th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #7
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
I emailed not Pm'd. Sorry for the confusion.
No prob, what ever you did, I got it.
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

G'day Doc, how are you mate?
If you don't mind me butting in I thought it might be worth pulling out the insole and checkin that the mounting hardware isn't raised.
It wouldn't be the first time!
Old October 17th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
G'day Doc, how are you mate?
If you don't mind me butting in I thought it might be worth pulling out the insole and checkin that the mounting hardware isn't raised.
It wouldn't be the first time!
G'day to you Nick. I was beginning to think you had fallen off the face of the earth....or at least gone walkabout.

It's a good point. In fact, I was rolling a pair of 911s last night and found a knot in the stitching right under the ball of my foot. That will get surgery today.

Last edited by Doc Sk8; October 17th, 2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: dam spell checker :-P
Doc Sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #10
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Not fallen off yet Doc, just been a busy boy.