S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #21
2LeftFeet
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi 2LeftFeet from Easton,



So how much will you have skated this week??

I am not sure if you had the time to look at the most recent set of videos given to us by cutemekat (cute lovable avatar, yet keep that cat inside so it doesn't do birding). When I saw that spunky young man get up fast on both skates on clip 2 I said HEY HE doesn't know 2Left Feet or our age group. Now I probably can do it yet I would advise carefully bringing up one skate and using your knee to move up the rest of your body.

OK How much have you skated??
And more importantly where do you skate outdoors in Easton?
If it's close to Bethlehem township better yet.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave


I apologize for not replying sooner. Yes it is Bethlehem TWP. About 1 mile from the Municipal Park which is where I skated last night. Now for the reason I didn't respond earlier. Last night was the first time I skated outside, & I wanted to be able to say that I had been skating. In my defense, I have been working a minimum of 10 hrs/day for some time now. Plus work is a 100 mile round trip. 3-5 hours sleep a night during the week is finally catching up to me. I like 7 hrs. if I can get it.

Had to stop & sit for a few seconds twice in the 1st 10 min. Right ankle was quickly tiring plus an intense ache in the arch. Was ready to quit after 10 min., but stuck it our for a little over 40 min. Intense ache eased up after about 20-25 min.

Did I say that I had an intense ache in the arch of my right foot? Have an old lower back injury that tips my hips. If I run at an easy jog, I will be runing flat footed with the left foot, and off the ball on the right foot. I think this is what was causing the intense ache in the arch. Just need to get the muscles accustomed to working again.

I think I took a quick glance a the link cutemkat posted, but didn't notice the guy getting up on both skates. That is how I did it last night, but held onto a curb while getting up. The good news is I didn't fall. Still need a helmet, knee, & elbow pads. Thought I would try to get them locally.

cutmekat: I have a choice of 3 cats that I could use for an avatar. Had 5 when my daughter, her husband & my 2 grandsons first moved back in with us. Had 2 she originally left with us, plus 3 new ones she brought with her. Zero cats would be my speed. Like animals as long as they belong to someone else. I could also use my wife's Miniature Schnauzer that thinks she is my dog.
2LeftFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #22
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts: N. Central & NE
Posts: 4,654
Default Would this be the place that you skate

Hi 2 Left,

First a quick one and then a longer one

http://www.bethlehemtwp.com/btcc/

On the right sidebar click on Paths and Trails

Would this first place in Palmer be the place that you skate?
It looks pretty nice

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; October 18th, 2007 at 06:49 AM. Reason: How to find my reference
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #23
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts: N. Central & NE
Posts: 4,654
Default No apologizes necessary, yet nice

Hi 2 Left Feet from Easton,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftFeet View Post
I apologize for not replying sooner. Yes it is Bethlehem TWP. About 1 mile from the Municipal Park which is where I skated last night. Now for the reason I didn't respond earlier. Last night was the first time I skated outside, & I wanted to be able to say that I had been skating. In my defense, I have been working a minimum of 10 hrs/day for some time now. Plus work is a 100 mile round trip. 3-5 hours sleep a night during the week is finally catching up to me. I like 7 hrs. if I can get it.

Had to stop & sit for a few seconds twice in the 1st 10 min. Right ankle was quickly tiring plus an intense ache in the arch. Was ready to quit after 10 min., but stuck it our for a little over 40 min. Intense ache eased up after about 20-25 min.:
Of course I know that you are exhausted, yet the car driving might also be killing your knees, and lower legs. It didn't used to bother me as much (when we were both younger than 59) yet now when I go on a long drive or even a drive like your daily drive I try to move my lower legs around in the vehicle and use cruise control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftFeet View Post
Did I say that I had an intense ache in the arch of my right foot? Have an old lower back injury that tips my hips. If I run at an easy jog, I will be runing flat footed with the left foot, and off the ball on the right foot. I think this is what was causing the intense ache in the arch. Just need to get the muscles accustomed to working again.:
All I think I have, is a left knee I didn't take care of quick enough that keeps troubling me, and some kind of a tear on my right foot that I have a pad for to reduce the pressure. My boot fit could also be better for my toes so I can do faster backwards. Other than that it seems like you are a bit worse off than me and also right that you have to work your muscles. As I imagine your body based on your note, Skating should actually be better for you than running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftFeet View Post
I think I took a quick glance a the link cutemkat posted, but didn't notice the guy getting up on both skates. That is how I did it last night, but held onto a curb while getting up. The good news is I didn't fall. Still need a helmet, knee, & elbow pads. Thought I would try to get them locally.

cutmekat: I have a choice of 3 cats that I could use for an avatar. Had 5 when my daughter, her husband & my 2 grandsons first moved back in with us. Had 2 she originally left with us, plus 3 new ones she brought with her. Zero cats would be my speed. Like animals as long as they belong to someone else. I could also use my wife's Miniature Schnauzer that thinks she is my dog.
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #24
2LeftFeet
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi 2 Left,

First a quick one and then a longer one

http://www.bethlehemtwp.com/btcc/

On the right sidebar click on Paths and Trails

Would this first place in Palmer be the place that you skate?
It looks pretty nice

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave

The new building with swimming pool, basketball court, etc. is the place where I was skating. I was skating in the farthest part of the parking lot from the building (bottom of picture). It opened last year. My wife takes the grandsons there to swim throughout the summer months.

The first place listed on Paths and Trails is over the hill from my house. Maybe a half mile away. It isn't paved. At least the section running along the river at this point isn't. I should walk it to see if there is any suitable skating places along the route. I am familiar with only a very small section of the path (maybe 2 of the 7.3 miles).

There is a paved bike/walking path & park about 2 miles down the road in Palmer. Don't know how far the path goes. Will find out after I get more comfortable on the skates. I do know that it passes behind the post office a few blocks down the road from the park. It will be an adventure just to see where these 2 trails go.

Thanks for the link showing these places. I hadn't realized the path running along the river was that long.
2LeftFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #25
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts: N. Central & NE
Posts: 4,654
Default Pushing a buddy too hard

Hi 2Left Feet from Easton,

Thanks for your note on where you skate.

As you know I come on down from Massachusetts to your area to visit some relatives. I would like to skate in the same place that you skate. It would give me something to do when visiting my relatives and to encourage them to join skating.

Anyway

As I skated hard tonight with good buddies, gals, that have learned to skate hard together and a few gals that I tend to push a bit hard, by accident, to go faster I had a thought.

I want you to enjoy pushing yourself, and seeing yourself shedding your pounds and skating well. Watch the pace of your pusher and back off when you feel the need.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #26
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts: N. Central & NE
Posts: 4,654
Default That first trail in Bethlehem Township

Hi 2 Left Feet,

Check out the following link.

http://www.gis.dcnr.state.pa.us/rail...+TRAIL&RegID=7

It is saying where that trail starts.
(I added the below because the link above didn't work today)
(Trail begins at South 25th Street in Palmer
(Palmer/Bethlehem Rail Trail access in Fairview Park, Palmer Twp. (off
(Stone's Crossing Road). Part of the PA Rails-to-Trails act.

It would be nice for you to confirm what PA tells on it's site.

This time of the year it might be a bit slippery based on leaves and stuff, yet the pictures show it to be out in the open in many places.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave

P.S. Last public post on this tread for me, or Kathie will opt in and move the tread to outdoor trails. So for me from here on, it is back to Instructions on videos. It's been a fun tangent.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; October 20th, 2007 at 07:49 PM.
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:57 AM   #27
2LeftFeet
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 42
Default

Come on down as they say. Doubt skating in the parking lot would be very satisfying for you, but maybe by then I will know of a couple better places to go. Thanks for the last link. I will check out that trail soon.
2LeftFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:33 PM   #28
JandKLarson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 991
Default

Another great place to skate not far from you is the Rodale Fitness Park off Mosser Road in Trexlertown, PA. It is a nice, closed paved trail, several lanes wide. There are two loops, a shorter loop, about .5-.6 of a mile, without a hill, and a larger loop with a hill (although not a big hill). Alot of local skaters go there and it is where the local inline race series happens during the summer months (www.easternseaboardseries.com). You can get an idea of what the paved trail looks like by taking a look at photos on the Eastern Seaboard Series website. The paved trail is across Mosser Road from the Lehigh Valley Velodrome. Park in the parking lot and follow the trail back to the main paved loop. There are benchs by the paved loop, so you can walk back and put your skates on there, instead of skating from the parking lot, if you prefer. There is also a playground there and picnic tables. When you are ready to move from the parking lot, I highly recommend checking it out. It's a very nice venue.

Julie
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.