S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 10th, 2017, 05:15 PM   #1
vitreous-skater

Default Intro and opinions on 1st pair of quad skates

Hi!

I have been reading a lot of the forum material over the last month and am starting to form a few options for my first set of skates.

First off - thanks to all of you for the time you have put into this forum – I love the passion!

Background:
Ability: Very basic – don’t usually fall - working on basic technique
Reason for skating: 8 yr old daughter is in love with the activity... and it’s been a lot of fun for me too!
Reason for wanting skates: Desire to improve and rentals are making me mad!!!
Where:
Rink right now, but I want the option to go outside (parking lots/trails etc) with the same set of skates, of course different wheels.
Budget:
Would really rather stay below $250 w/ two sets of wheels (indoor and outdoor) – would consider going up to $325 (all in taxes, shipping etc)
Used is fine by me – a little disappointed there aren’t more used skates listed on the site
Thoughts/Options:
1. Bont Quadstar or Prostar – I tried on the Prostar’s and really like the fit. The 8’s were a little too short, but I like how tight they were on my foot, the 9’s were better at the toe but I was worried about “vinyl” stretching and being too lose down the road.
a. Looking for an opinion on size. If I measure, the Bont site tells me I am a 9 Narrow (very last mm limit of 9)...since these two options don’t come in narrow I am thinking about going with an 8.5 (haven’t tried them on).
b. Does anyone think I could reverse mount these down the road if I wanted to?
2. Vintage Riedell 265 on Nova plates – reverse mounted. I haven’t tried on the 265s – think I am a 9.5 in Riedell’s (I rent a 10). I like the look/durability and the heel for outdoors (based on some of the opinions on the forum).
a. Do the older 265’s fit the same – meaning if I measure using the site’s guidance, would they size the same ? “9.5 current version” = “9.5 vintage version”?
3. Ask Armidillo to help me build something?? (((I just did a search of forum to double check spelling of his username and realized he has passed – left comment in here because his posts had a lot of influence on where I am heading – thanks Dillo!)))
4. OPEN
Last question: Are there any really good summary technique posts/videos (in this forum or otherwise) I should look into to get started on improvement path?

Thanks!
vitreous-skater is offline   Reply With Quote