S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old February 15th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #21
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
yeah, standard push up are a Chest and Tri's exercise, maybe he's found some variations that do bi's too.
Heck I dunno. I just know they are a lot bigger than they used to be. I have mixed in some planches lately and have been doing some triangle push ups. Now I am using these:
Perfect Pushup

These work my arms VERY differently than the pushups I was doing before. I go lower and the twist really builds the muscle on the back of my arms toward the elbow. Consequently I have a harder time doing the same amount.

Something that may make a difference for biceps (maybe I am not naming the muscle right) is that I do pushups to failure. I literally have trouble lifting my arms afterwards. My brother who lifts weights said working muscles to failure gives the greatest gains. I read somewhere else that for a muscle to grow you have to split the fiber. If you don't work to failure not all the fibers get split and the gain is not as great. Working to failure cause all the fibers to get in on the action. That is why you can't lift your arms. Every fiber got a workout in the muscle. I try to do the pushups as quickly as possible to develop that explosive power, but as I get to failure I pay for each and every pushup. I know it will be easier the next day and it is.

Whatever works and as Z3R0L4G pointed out:
"The best exercise is simple, Its the exercise you will do."
I will add, "and do, and do, and do..." to that statement.

Here is something else I think I will add:
Strength and Conditioning
This is the stuff that develops springyness to their workouts. I want springyness and strength.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #22
biffsk8er

Did you realize that you've got a bunch of junk stuck in your hair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
Ah, now I understand!
Quote:
Click this blue arrow so you too can▲ understand.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #23
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
Did you realize that you've got a bunch of junk stuck in your hair?
Yeah, I told my kids I would wear it that way for one day. It is going to be a "hat day".
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #24
biffsk8er

Quote:
Yeah, I told my kids I would wear it that way for one day. It is going to be a "hat day".
WHY wear a hat!? You look so sweet.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #25
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
WHY wear a hat!? You look so sweet.
...and they say inline skaters are "hockey curious"...
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #26
Tim

Quote:
Heck I dunno. I just know they are a lot bigger than they used to be. I have mixed in some planches lately and have been doing some triangle push ups. Now I am using these:
Perfect Pushup

These work my arms VERY differently than the pushups I was doing before. I go lower and the twist really builds the muscle on the back of my arms toward the elbow. Consequently I have a harder time doing the same amount.

Something that may make a difference for biceps (maybe I am not naming the muscle right) is that I do pushups to failure. I literally have trouble lifting my arms afterwards. My brother who lifts weights said working muscles to failure gives the greatest gains. I read somewhere else that for a muscle to grow you have to split the fiber. If you don't work to failure not all the fibers get split and the gain is not as great. Working to failure cause all the fibers to get in on the action. That is why you can't lift your arms. Every fiber got a workout in the muscle. I try to do the pushups as quickly as possible to develop that explosive power, but as I get to failure I pay for each and every pushup. I know it will be easier the next day and it is.
When you flex your muscles like in your pic Biceps are the top part of your upper arm and triceps are pretty much the bottom and backside of the upper arm.

Yeah, thats what the pain the day after a workout is, you've torn your muscle fibers and you feel it the next day they pretty much scar over and become more muscle and more mass. Hence the saying "No pain no gain".

As for going to failure to make all the fibers split i dunno about that, i think it would be better to just do a variation on the same muscle your working like if your working your chest you could do different variations of push ups like you have been doing. Standard push ups work chest and tri's pretty evenly, triangle push ups work more tri's and the inner part of your chest, putting your legs up on a seat and doing push ups works your shoulders as well as the other two. So their all working your chest in different ways and positions giving it a better workout.

Its pretty much the way body builders get the most out of their muscles per week. They'll do a hardcore chest workout one day, tri/bi the next, legs another day etc. So they can work the muscle groups harder and the muscles have more time to recover because they do a different group each day.
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #27
Demolishun
Aggro Member

I have decided to rename the "Perfect Pushup" device to "Perfect Pain". Definitely finding all new muscles! Holy cow! Great machine! Harder than normal pushups, but it is working more stuff. A great invention!
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #28
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

It will (CLAP) PUMP YOU UP.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #29
Malcom

Quote:
Gymnasts are often said to have some of the most impressive physiques. They do not touch weights. They use extreme extension exercise. Carl Weathers does not lift weights and many pros in many sports including football do not lift weights.

The reason gymnasts don't is because it messes with their strength to weight ratio. It is not uncommon for a 100 pound gymnast to bench 400lbs even though they never touch weights.
Sorry to say there is so much incorrect "stuff" in this post.

Having an "impressive physique" does not make you an athlete, and anyone that is serious about playing football past HS (maybe with the exception of the kicker) lifts weights.

And you can not show me ANYONE ANYWHERE that weighs 100lbs that benches 400lbs.

Congrats on setting a goal. 10,000 pushups is a heap!!
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #30
biffsk8er

I have to agree with Malcom. I was quiet about it before because I did not want to argue. There are very few serious athletes that never touch weights. Not saying that there are not any, but that there are very few serious athletes who specifically do not lift weights at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom View Post
Sorry to say there is so much incorrect "stuff" in this post.

Having an "impressive physique" does not make you an athlete, and anyone that is serious about playing football past HS (maybe with the exception of the kicker) lifts weights.

And you can not show me ANYONE ANYWHERE that weighs 100lbs that benches 400lbs.

Congrats on setting a goal. 10,000 pushups is a heap!!
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #31
Z3R0L4G

Quote:
I have decided to rename the "Perfect Pushup" device to "Perfect Pain". Definitely finding all new muscles! Holy cow! Great machine! Harder than normal pushups, but it is working more stuff. A great invention!
I've thought about picking up one of those just to try out but haven't gotten around to it yet. You'd say worth it though?
Z3R0L4G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #32
Malcom

Quote:
I have to agree with Malcom. I was quiet about it before because I did not want to argue. There are very few serious athletes that never touch weights. Not saying that there are not any, but that there are very few serious athletes who specifically do not lift weights at all.
There is really nothing to argue LOL.

I will "amend" what I said to say yes-most gymnasts don't lift and they have impressive physiques. But once again...........

Impressive physique doesn't necessarily mean you are a great athlete.
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #33
InlineWarehouse
InlineWarehouse.com

Default Exercise

Mixing it up is the best thing.

Muscle confusion. If just skating, do intervals and stuff at different speeds. Mix it up, get fit..Then mix yourself a drink toasting a job well done.
InlineWarehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #34
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I'm trying to get my arms even, I still favor my left arm it seems. I need to get training! I wont say my bicept measurement.
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #35
Demolishun
Aggro Member

My numbers may be a bit off and the feat was dead lift not bench press:
One of my former students, JJ Gregory (1993 Junior National Champion on the Still Rings) developed such a high degree of strength from my bodyweight conditioning program that on his first day in his high school weightlifting class he deadlifted 400lbs., and this at the scale breaking weight of 135 lbs. and a height of 53.
Christopher Sommer

No, it probably is not common either.

Of course you would have to check Chris's record on your own. Apparently he continues to be successful training people without weights. As far as his book goes it seems like most people who reviewed it said it was about time he released the information.
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

Also check here for articles:
http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/

Of course I do not always remember what I have seen accurately. I lost my photographic memory at birth.

I think this qualifies anyone who skates or lift weights or exercises as such:
somebody with athletic ability: somebody with the abilities to participate in physical exercise, especially in competitive games and races
Or course "great athlete" is subjective and imprecise. An Olympic athlete is less subjective and more precise. Mr. Sommers coaches Olympic athletes.

No, I did not check all the sources of my info. Mainly I am excited about the gains I have been getting by using bodyweight exercises.

roller_dudette,
Don't compare your arms to other people. Only to yourself and your own gains. You may have a different muscle structure. My kinesiologist friend is about my height and works out with both weights and bodyweight exercise and has smaller arms than me. He benches 280lb if I remember right. He is thin as a rail too. He also has a completely different muscle structure that I do. His tend to be long rather than short. Hence smaller arms. I can assure you I cannot bench 280lbs.
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #36
Z3R0L4G

Demo try this for a little bit more of a burn. slow down fast up. I started out doing them the same way you are and kind of plateud (definitly spelled that wrong). Then I read about doing the 3 seconds minimum to do the negative of a lift and then explosively do the positive half of any weight lifting. This is supposed to work your muscles harder by having to sustain the strength level by lengthening your time to return to position and the explosive part brings all your muscle fibers into play. I'm doing the same thing for my squats and shoulder press and curls and it seems to have a massive positive effect. It's possible it might just be me though so use your judgement on if it works for you.
Z3R0L4G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #37
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, just trying to get 2 even arms lol. My broken arm is still weaker. Got used to not using it as much. Hey, as long as I can handle my own bodyweight, I'm happy. Just eager to hopefully skate soon! Trying to see if I can get an xray to see if its fully healed yet or not. But now there is all this snow too ugh! Now that I dont do anything, I have 0% bodyfat lol. Go figure, guess poverty makes one lean and MEAN lol.
Old February 17th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #38
Tim

A good way to even up those muscles using weight training is start off with your weak arm and whatever you manage to do with that do the same with the strong arm.

e.g. Say you can only do 8 dumbbell curls with your week arm only do 8 with your strong arm. Set the pace with your weakest muscle.
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #39
Malcom

Quote:
My numbers may be a bit off and the feat was dead lift not bench press:
One of my former students, JJ Gregory (1993 Junior National Champion on the Still Rings) developed such a high degree of strength from my bodyweight conditioning program that on his first day in his high school weightlifting class he deadlifted 400lbs., and this at the scale breaking weight of 135 lbs. and a height of 53.
Christopher Sommer

No, it probably is not common either.

Of course you would have to check Chris's record on your own. Apparently he continues to be successful training people without weights. As far as his book goes it seems like most people who reviewed it said it was about time he released the information.
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

Also check here for articles:
http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/

Of course I do not always remember what I have seen accurately. I lost my photographic memory at birth.

I think this qualifies anyone who skates or lift weights or exercises as such:
somebody with athletic ability: somebody with the abilities to participate in physical exercise, especially in competitive games and races
Or course "great athlete" is subjective and imprecise. An Olympic athlete is less subjective and more precise. Mr. Sommers coaches Olympic athletes.

No, I did not check all the sources of my info. Mainly I am excited about the gains I have been getting by using bodyweight exercises.
That is more reasonable. But FYI being short and thin is an advantage in the DL. When you are short obviously the bar has a shorter distance to travel and being thin allows you to get in a more advantageous position to DL.

No doubt going to the Olympics is one of the greatest accomplishments an individual can achieve. But to me it only makes them a great athlete in their chosen sport-it doesn't make them an "overall" great athlete. The exception to this would be if you are talking about a person that competes in the decathalon which to me is much more of an indicator of how great of an athlete someone is.

Definition of athlete:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/athlete
Old February 18th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #40
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom View Post
No doubt going to the Olympics is one of the greatest accomplishments an individual can achieve.
I like the spring gymnasts have as it seems very applicable to aggro skating. Some tumbling would be good too. But like it has been said before, any kind of exercise is better than none. I also like the precision of slalom inline skaters. Break dancing is also something I would like to pick up too (for when I fall I may be able to make it look like it was on purpose). And I like what I see in the mirror from the pushups I have been doing. Haha!

Thanks for the encouragement!