S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old February 12th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #1
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Default Fitness Goals...

This year I set a goal (starting last October) to do 10,000 push ups. Right now I am sitting at 2200. I am behind the curve on push ups per day, but I am increasing the amount I can do each day. I am averaging 50 (in one session) per day. I talked to a fitness friend of mine and he showed me how I can change inclines and work more muscle groups to build chest and shoulders.

I know some of us have not been skating as much as we would like to. Doing these push ups have not only built my upper body, but helped control the winter weight gain. I get to burn calories while I sit still now. I wanted to give some people some results of my push toward a goal of 10,000 push ups in one year.

Here are the results:
14.5 inch biceps, an upper body physique that looks MUCH better than it used to, the ability to hold my weight when I eventually learn to do coping hand stands, and my wife loves the muscle. Now this is only 2200 push ups since October. Imagine when I meet or exceed my goal of 10,000 for the year! Can we say big freakin' muscles! I also intend to work toward more extreme extensions like gymnasts do. Combine that with the leg work of skating and this is going to fun! May have to take some tumbling classes too.

Anyway, I wanted to share this with those who may not be getting the amount of skating in they wanted this year (which includes me).
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #2
biffsk8er

I have been so wanting to do something of this nature lately! You are inspiring me.

Good job.
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Z3R0L4G

I'm of a similar line as you Demo. I started wroking out back in November. I've lost 20 lbs of fat and gain back about 3 lbs of muscle. I've been doing a kick @$$ circuit workout and riding my exercise bike for at least 2 hours a week. Unfortunately do to weather I'm not getting to skate but I'll get there eventually. Good job on your progress and keep it up man Will and determination will get you there. And Bifff get on it man nothing between you doing it but air and opportunity. Skate on my brothers.
Z3R0L4G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #4
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0L4G View Post
And Bifff get on it man nothing between you doing it but air and opportunity. Skate on my brothers.
Just so you know, I wait tables 5 to 6 days a week. I make it a point to restock large stacks of porcelain plates when I drop off dirty dishes to the dish area. 'Full hands in, full hands out.' A large stack weighs a good 40 to 50 pounds and I often carry 2 stacks at once. I also like to clear off tables onto a tray until it is fully loaded down. I carry it back to the kitchen on one hand.

I may not be doing traditional weights yet, but at least I have a decent substitute. My wife always gripes that she gains weight at her desk job, while I haven't gained a pound in my 25 years of waiting tables.
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Z3R0L4G

yeah its whatever works you out. I'm not going to a traditional gym either and I'm only just now starting to actually lift weights
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Gymnasts are often said to have some of the most impressive physiques. They do not touch weights. They use extreme extension exercise. Carl Weathers does not lift weights and many pros in many sports including football do not lift weights.

The reason gymnasts don't is because it messes with their strength to weight ratio. It is not uncommon for a 100 pound gymnast to bench 400lbs even though they never touch weights.
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #7
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Weights are what did it for me. I started out at 153 lbs. at 6 foot 3 inches. At my best 7 years later I was 240 lbs. ripped at 6 foot 5 inches. 2 inches of height doesn't put 87 lbs. of muscle on you. Heavy strict squats, one arm rows, dumbbell benches, power cleans, leg presses, etc. Twice a week, gives your muscles time to grow. Never touched steroids. Miss being able to do overhead presses with 85 lb. dumbbells for 15 reps. Ahh, the good old days.

Carl Weathers has hoisted some weights in his day. I remember seeing pics of him training with Jesse Ventura for the Predator movie. Also in his Action Jackson movie.

Gymnasts technically do lift weights. Chinups and parallel bar dips with extra weight around their waists. Parallel bar dips are a favorite assistance exercise for powerlifters. Athletes use strength movements that mimic the movements they do in their sport.

Olympic style wrestlers do hundreds of bodyweight power cleans (the "clean" part of a clean and jerk). It gives them the ability to toss someone their own size around like a rag doll.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #8
Demolishun
Aggro Member

I guess it depends on your goals. Mine is to easily handle my own weight without messing up my flexibility and range of motion. I don't want bulk, I want to have a fit upper body to match the lower body.

Like you said it is really important that the motion match the sport. I think that is why many athletes do not use traditional weight machines.

Another thing I found for winter training is walking while being in a slight squat position with the legs. It really burns on the lower legs, but last time I went to the skate park I noticed I could jump a lot higher. I can also walk way faster than normal in that position. Not sure if it is something runners use to go faster, but I have seen an increase in running speed.

I didn't know about Weathers training with weights during predator. I wonder if the crew was inspired by Schwarzenegger? He has always been a power builder for muscle.

Pay attention to the part about the cast of 300 training with rings:
http://www.trainingrings.com/index.php?page=News

There was another site I was looking at, but can't find it off hand.
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #9
Demolishun
Aggro Member

This is what I was thinking of:
http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #10
RS Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
I guess it depends on your goals. Mine is to easily handle my own weight without messing up my flexibility and range of motion. I don't want bulk, I want to have a fit upper body to match the lower body.
That's the thing with weights. You can only get as big as you make yourself get. Once you're at the point you want to be a more modest maintenance program will keep you there.

As far as loss of flexibility goes weight training cannot cause that. "Muscleboundness" is a rare condition that one is born with, where the muscles and tendons are shorter than they should be. The huge Mr. Universe competitors are actually more flexible than the average person.

There are several methods of building hard muscle. Weights, isometrics, controlled calisthetics (just doing pushups improperly can tear up your bursa sacs). A mixture of methods works best at stimulating the muscles. When it comes to weights you don't have to use gigantic poundages either. Strict exercise form will create the intensity needed. There have been many huge bodybuilders who only used moderately heavy (for them) weights. Lou Ferrigno, Steeve Reeves and Bob Birdsong among them. All big dudes.

Old February 13th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #11
biffsk8er

What about the regimen advanced by Bruce Lee?
I want to do that!
There are books that describe his training methods in detail.
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #12
Demolishun
Aggro Member

I just got some of those twist pushup handles from Walmart for $15 bucks. Excellent devices! They work out muscles way more than regular push ups. It also helps with my planche push ups.

As far as flexibility a coach from a university said you will lose some when you build muscle unless you work on the flexibility. He is also a professor of sport nutrition. One thing the gymnasts do is stay flexible and springy rather than just raw strength. Also, my brother has seen many ppl who cannot brush their own hair on the back of their head because of huge muscle gain.
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #13
Z3R0L4G

I'm doing this http://www.menshealth.com/spartacus/workouts/ 3x a week plus the exercise bike 2x as well as a small ab workout and small weight/resistance training added to the exercercise bike days. Doing this so far hasn't resulted in getting massive its mostly just brought out alot of definiton and a reduction in the all time annoying gut area. As the flexibility its all dependent on if you let yourself get that way. If you take steps to insure you maintain flexibilty (i.e LOTS of stretching) you can maintain your flexibility and get ripped. Of course my definition of Ripped doesn't mean looking like the incredible Bulk. It just means good muscle definition. Of course there are soooo many reports on how to achieve any and all of this but I came across someone who explained it best " the best exercise is simple, Its the exercise you will do". I've been reading alot from a guy that seems fairly knowledgeable on it named Tom Venuto. Pretty inspirational speaker and the ideas I've taken from his blog and website so far have worked wonders.

oh and Biff I'm totally with you on that Bruce Lee thing. The man had complete dedication to perfecting his body. Granted its possible he was just truly that gifted genetically to be what he was but ALOT of it was dedication. I've done some digging around through his book the only real constraint on me is the money to be able to fund the exercise/nutrition. Who knew staying healthy wasn't cheap LOL.
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #14
Tim

In regard to the pushup routine your doing, you'll only be able to put on a certain amount of muscle doing that no matter how many you do because your only using body weight. Sure you'll gain a certain amount of muscle and you'll get ripped but you can only go so far but if thats your goal, thats cool.

If you want to do exercises to make you jump higher, run faster, punch quicker or any fast motion, you need to do explosive exercises. So to jump higher you need to do something like an explosive squat where you use lighter weight and more momentum. More examples: Clap push ups, clean and jerk stuff like that.

Sorry im not very good at explaining, I've read a lot into exercise because of different phases i've gone through like wanting to be really muscly, wanting to do boxing, getting into parkour (probably spent more time reading about it rather than doing it).

Now i've just stared going back to the gym to make work that bit easier. I'm a cabinet maker and am often lifting heavy tables and cabinets as well as just lengths of timber. I've found it hard to put on muscle because im one of those naturally skinny people and to gain muscle you have to eat a surplus of what your daily intake should be but because my metabolisms so fast i just find it really hard to eat that much.

Out of everything i've read the 3 main things of muscle growth are Eat well (varies on what your goals are), Steady increase in the weights you do and SLEEP WELL! Eating and sleeping well really is half the challenge.

Sorry for the massive post.
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #15
Z3R0L4G

yeah thats my starters I don't want to bulk up (been there doen that) I'm just wanting to get myself to a better more healthy weight and then figure out where to go from there. I'm actually starting to add additonal weights to just about everything I'm doing. I wear ankle/wrist weights alot and I'm about to buy an adjustable vest taht goes up to 40lbs extra. I figure drop the weight and then use the weighted clothing to train so my body is still used to carrying all the weight I lost.
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #16
RS Dave

Quote:

Here are the results:
14.5 inch biceps, an upper body physique that looks MUCH better than it used to, the ability to hold my weight when I eventually learn to do coping hand stands, and my wife loves the muscle.
Here we have it folks. Demo does pushups because he wants to get laid.

Old February 15th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #17
rollman

Quote:
Here are the results:
14.5 inch biceps
Wait. How did you measure 14.5 (show me a MS Paint of the exact region you are talking about) and also I think that push-ups are supposed to train the triceps, not the biceps? You made me curious.

I want to get a nice looking upper body, as I am thin like a paper sheet. Not cool for meeting girls and all.
rollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #18
rollman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Dave View Post
I want to get laid without doing pushups, so give him a break.
rollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #19
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollman View Post
Wait. How did you measure 14.5 (show me a MS Paint of the exact region you are talking about) and also I think that push-ups are supposed to train the triceps, not the biceps? You made me curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Dave View Post
and...

My wife also likes that shirt too. It shows me where I need to work on my physique.

Some people have a six pack, I have a pony keg.
Steve Schmid
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #20
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollman View Post

I want to get a nice looking upper body, as I am thin like a paper sheet. Not cool for meeting girls and all.
yeah, standard push up are a Chest and Tri's exercise, maybe he's found some variations that do bi's too.