S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old August 20th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #1
Higgenbobber

Default A decent pair of cheap freeriding+slalom skates?

Hey, I'm new to the forum and am wondering if you people can help me in selecting a pair of skates. I want to do mostly free riding stuff that you see french and english people doing on youtube but I want to try a little slalom as well.

Money is a problem though since I'm a college student and am broke off my ass really. I really don't want to spend more than $100 US (i think that's around 51 british pounds) on a pair of skates unless I find an incredible deal. And I realize that twisters and sebas are really expensive.
What do you guys think of K2 Soul 7 skates? Are those suitable for freeriding +slalom? They're available on ebay right now for around 60-80 us dollars (30-40 british pounds)

I've never skated before in my life, but I really want to learn and free ride in the city of Portland. They don't have to be perfect skates, just a pair that'll accomplish the job but aren't incredibly ******. I also live in the US if that makes a difference

Thanks
Higgenbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #2
Timmeh

If you are considering skating, moderate intensity, 2 hours + a week then I would consider spending a little more money on a decent pair of skates, because LATER!!!!!! you will say to yourself... "omgosh why didn't i buy a better pair of skates im such a total idiot"

Aaaanyway... after you read and consider what I have just said I would recommend a pair of Seba FR1, because, they are of course, designed for slalom/FreeRide (hence the name FR) and are great value, and the pair of skates offer higher durability, more responsiveness and it just looks better in my opinion. If you're really considering getting into the sport I suggest seba highs, but I like the look for FR1, its a little cheaper, (enough to buy a set of wheels or bearings, if not, both, so that you can rocker your skates)

But thats really your choice, if you were, Like Me, buying a pair of $100-ish skates because I was a bit stingy with my money (yes.. I am 15 you can't expect too much) you will/may come to regret it (providing you can continue enjoying skating) otherwise go ahead and buy some whatever - "recreational/fitness" skates, which aren't terribly great for slalom because of their slightly larger 250 - 300mm frame, and aren't that stunningly comfortable or responsive.

However you can't really know until you screw it up for yourself... you never know
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #3
KeLLy

Hi and welcome

decent and cheap don't always go hand in hand.

If you want some quality, you gotta pay for it... and 100USD really isn't much, perhaps save up a bit longer and buy some decent skates?

I spend 100Euro's on my first (fitness) skates, fell in love with slalom, bought seba's high and stopped using my Fitness skates after only 6 months.

A lot of people are really happy with their Seba's FR1 (made for freeride, but also good for slalom) and Seba's high (made for slalom, but also good for freeride - i love mine)
From what i read, the Twisters II pro are also good skates for both freeriding and slalom.

For slalom, the lenght of the frame is important. The 250mm frame on the Twisters isn't to big if you got big feet. For me, the frame would be to big since i'm a seize 39 EU (and use a 231mm frame).

You may also wanna check out the new Skali skate called: The maven. It's new, so you may not find many revieuws on that one.

If i were you, i'd have a look around on e-bay and see what you can find. Or save up a bit longer and go for the Twisters.
If you can find Salomon Deemax or Crossmax, those are good freeride skates to, but Salomon stopped making them.

GL!
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Timmeh

the biggest mistakes you can make are
1. buying a $100 skate which you will replace in a matter of months
2. buying a pair of skates you don't like
3. buying a pair of good skates and losing all interest in the sport
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #5
Jennie
Don't H8, sk8

If you wait around, there are Twisters Pro 2007 on ebay once in a while for $100. There were also some 2006 models for $60.
Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #6
evilzzz

If you can only afford $100, get a decent 2nd hand pair. Having said that, the Soul 7 is a decent enough skate, although it is styled like a freeride skate it actually rides more like a rec skate.

Skating is one of the cheapest sports already. Don't skimp on a decent set of wheels, or you'll almost certainly end up regretting it.
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #7
Rink Rat
Rhythm Skater

I advise against Soul 7s (read the whole thread)...

http://www.serpentineroad.com/forum/...ic.php?t=11500
Rink Rat is offline   Reply With Quote