S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old March 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #1
Greenetuckian

Default A newbee question about skating cones

Okay I have done a lot of searching but have found not good answer and trying to guess sizes from videos is not working either.

1) I understand that cone spacing is 50,80 & 120cm but is that center to cent or edge to edge? I gather that it is center to center.

2) Cone size, what size cones do you use? Is there a "regulation" size? 4",6", 7" tall, how about diameter of the bottom? It seems to me that if they are too tall or too large diameter they would interfere with skating.

3) How many cones make up a course?

4) Other than Ikea cups what are you using for cones? Would the 4 1/2" version of these be good for slalom training? Perform Better Cones.

5) How about just gluing a small flat weight (slug) or stuffing foam inside of disposable plastic cups? The weight of the slug or foam should prevent blowing away and if you fall on them they should collapse and not injure you. What do you all think?
Greenetuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #2
denni
Denacious P

Cones!

1. center to center.

2/3/4. Go here.

5. When jlacivita and I started, we used plastic cups. The small ones. We stacked them on windy days probably 4 or 5 high to give them some weight.

I use these.

There are another brand that I think is more common. I searched the net a little but to no avail. Maybe someone else has the link to them.
denni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Cowry

universkate also sells cones; just go to 'products', scroll down and you'll see
Cowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Greenetuckian

Thanks for the links. I appreciate the cone links but I am afraid after the exchange rate and shipping from Europe they are quite pricey. For now I think we will just use the disposable cups.

Right now I just need to build some muscles to control with. It seems you use a bunch different muscles than you do just road skating.

We did set up some cups at 80mm and I failed miserably just weaving through them. I think I need to first learn to scissor and turn on one foot, then learn it backward.
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #5
denni
Denacious P

Hey there. Here is write-up I did about training those specific muscles that one uses when doing slalom. They're called stabilizer muscles. I <3 stabilizer muscles. These are the ones that you use when trying to keep your muscle flexed at a specific point without shaking. It's almost like learning fine motor skills with your feet, ankles and legs. The activities in the link for fine motor skills are kinda crazy to do with yer feet so I'm sure no one will actually try any of it. But after thinking about it... these activities practiced with toes and feet I'm assuming would definitely make your pinpointing with your feet more accurate and easy.
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #6
unit11

Another option for cheap training cones is tennis balls cut in half and old skate wheels. I use both and I think they work alright - tennis balls are better than the wheels, but its fun to throw a wheel or two in for the challenge (if you hit them, they tend not to move on the ground, meaning you will fall - not a problem with the tennis balls, though).
unit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #7
Greenetuckian

denni - Good article, I will look into your workout. I know I am really going to have to strenghthen my adductors, ankle and calve muscles. Just playing again today my groin is somewhat sore. I did however manage to skate on the toe of my left skate and heel of my right though I did not get them too far apart and would lose it when my left would get squirly. I did not think it was too bad since I am still on 285mm frames.

unit11 -
Quote:
Another option for cheap training cones is tennis balls cut in half and old skate wheels.
Now that is a great idea and I might have though of it myself (given enough years and a few hints ).
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #8
unit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenetuckian View Post
unit11 -

Now that is a great idea and I might have though of it myself (given enough years and a few hints ).
Yeah, it's cool - someone else actually pointed this out to me, and I wish to gosh-darn-all that I could remember who so I could credit them, but I can't remember for the life of me!
unit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #9
Davey_Speedstar

You might want to check out the NottinghamSkaters Wiki. There’s a section on cones as well as lots of other interesting articles and features
Davey_Speedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #10
Jennifer66

cones!OMG!
i haven't got any cones for a year since i came here
i'll go buy some when i go back to china this summer
cones are really cheap there

[URL="http://shaozi-i66.spaces.live.com"]http://shaozi-i66.spaces.live.com[/URL]
Jennifer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #11
denni
Denacious P

since you came where? are you somewhere in the US now?

EDIT: I see now you are in Dallas from another post.

I do not have any other people in MA that I know of that do cone skating. I know how it is to be alone in your area!
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #12
Vinz

About the slalom area, check this picture =
http://www.ifsasports.org/English/or...tyleslalom.htm

Correct, the space is from center to center
Vinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #13
KeLLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit11 View Post
Yeah, it's cool - someone else actually pointed this out to me, and I wish to gosh-darn-all that I could remember who so I could credit them, but I can't remember for the life of me!
I know i read the idea on a board, and passed it on myself on this one... so it coulda been me.

I still use hard plastic cups (my frame fits right under them so they can make me fall) - bit like the Ikea cups.
Next up, i'll probly want the SEBA cones next.
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote