S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:58 AM   #21
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
I still just want to get a set of these and get the thane stripped and replaced with Scott's!
May aswell skate the thane off first
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:09 AM   #22
Old School Roller

Default Aussie Aussie Aussie

Quote:
I still just want to get a set of these and get the thane stripped and replaced with Scott's!
Old School Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:14 AM   #23
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
May aswell skate the thane off first
I tried some Ultimate weapons, they were nice but not that nice! They have never been back on my skates! my guess is these will be the same.

You know I'm right!
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:28 AM   #24
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default I want them

Quote:
I tried some Ultimate weapons, they were nice but not that nice! They have never been back on my skates! my guess is these will be the same.

You know I'm right!
for Timaru next year I think they would be good.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:41 AM   #25
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
for Timaru next year I think they would be good.
So if I can get a set, I'll give them to you to skate the thane off at Timaru, then I'll get some Aussie thane on them!
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:13 AM   #26
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default Deal!

Quote:
So if I can get a set, I'll give them to you to skate the thane off at Timaru, then I'll get some Aussie thane on them!
Sounds good to me
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:27 AM   #27
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Sounds good to me
You will be picking them up on your way through the states!
Still a good deal though.
Old July 9th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #28
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Last input I had from Powell was there were adhesion problems with the tires and they were not going to release them until it was resolved.. BUT there were no hard tires then.. Maybe this was the answer..
This adhesion problem seems to be a risk factor associated with the BIG HUB and thin, softer urethane. Some of my older 49mm hub RD Twister wheels have begun to come off their hubs, more so with the 65mm thinner 'thane ones. It starts on the inside edge and moves across the wheel toward outside. I just reglued my first 70mm wheel yesterday. It was still adhering on the outside, but inside was loose all the way to the central rib of protruding plastic. Shoe Goo seems to work OK. Super Glue is easier to get down into the contact zone but not a good bond & fails.

I clean the contact zone with "waterless" wipes, and then dry it by wrapping a thin cloth around tip of a pairing knife, inserting it into the gap. Once clean and dry I insert a thin pin between the wheel and hub to pry open a gap. I then use a thin flat tool to spread the Shoe Goo down into the gap, working my way around the wheel.
After getting all the way around, I roll the wheel in a hard smooth surface while pressing down firmly to squeeze out all the excess Shoe Goe from the contact zone.

Skating on a separating wheel will give a weird noise, like a bad bearing, but different. If you skate too much like this, the urehtane gets messed up by the excess distortion of the "wrinkle wave" thet builds up ahead of the wheel. The urethane will get thicker there compared to the unseparated side. After gluing, I had to sand some urethane away at the edge where the OD had grown enough to see a clear taper outward. Not sure how long the re-glue will hold, and I am not expecting much in the way of life extension either, but with UNOBTANIUM wheels, a guy has to try something to salvage them!

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; July 9th, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #29
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
This adhesion problem seems to be a risk factor associated with the BIG HUB and thin urethane. Some of my older 49mm hub RD Twister wheels have begun to come off their hubs, more so with the 65mm thinner 'thane ones. It starts on the inside edge and moves across the wheel toward outside. I just reglued my first 70mm wheel yesterday. It was still adhering on the outside, but inside was loose all the way to the central rib of protruding plastic. Shoe Goo seems to work OK. Super Glue is easier to get down into the contact zone but not a good bond & fails.

This may be a place where urethane glue (the thin stuff) would work better... I use that to rebuild ROCK R-TECs when the hub pops loose.. I have also salvaged some of ATOM's less sterling efforts.... Yeah, it can be messy but if you take your time and clean up quickly the bubbly stuff may work better..

I clean the contact zone with "waterless" wipes, and then dry it by wrapping a thin cloth around tip of a pairing knife, inserting it into the gap. Once clean and dry I insert a thin pin between the wheel and hub to pry open a gap. I then use a thin flat tool to spread the Shoe Goo down into the gap, working my way around the wheel.
After getting all the way around, I roll the wheel in a hard smooth surface while pressing down firmly to squeeze out all the excess Shoe Goe from the contact zone.

Skating on a separating wheel will give a weird noise, like a bad bearing, but different. If you skate too much like this, the urehtane gets messed up by the excess distortion of the "wrinkle wave" thet builds up ahead of the wheel. The urethane will get thicker there compared to the unseparated side.

I wonder if peeling the tire all the way off and then re-attaching it would alleviate the uneven rolling surface??

After gluing, I had to sand some urethane away at the edge where the OD had grown enough to see a clear taper outward. Not sure how long the re-glue will hold, and I am not expecting much in the way of life extension either, but with UNOBTANIUM wheels, a guy has to try something to salvage them!

-Armadillo

Good luck finding more.... I have not seen any for a couple of years..
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #30
Bprendie

Default Shipping

Sounds like Rollerbones is going to be shipping the turbos now. They just made a post on their facebook page. 92a 97a and 101a. I'm definitely looking to snag a set of the 101s!
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #31
Sidewinder
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bprendie View Post
Sounds like Rollerbones is going to be shipping the turbos now. They just made a post on their facebook page. 92a 97a and 101a. I'm definitely looking to snag a set of the 101s!
Waiting for them to hit stock somewhere to grab a set. If anyone gets them in stock, please let us know. Many thanks.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #32
Fresh Eddie Fresh

I had a chance to skate Bprendie's 101s and they are AWESOME. If you make them bark, everyone knows it's you! Loud and distinct.
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #33
Bomber

Looks like they've probably got a MSRP of $160...

Any of our SLF members with stores (or cyber stores) got any word from Bones on the availability of these yet? Also, are they only making "slims" or are they making "wides" too?
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #34
SpeedTriple7
Supermoto Executive

I have skated the 97a's and Bprendie's white 103s. They are worth the $$$'s and they look good on my powertrac!

I will most likely will buy a set when they hit full market.
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #35
395roller89
Thats Mr. Proline to you!

Skated Bprendie's 103a roller bones.. there on my bonts right now they are fast and grip quite well for the 103a duro. There very loud you can hear them rolling for sure and they turn heads with that loud screetching sound when you hockey stop them You can feel everything on the floor with them tho only thing i dont like. Nice wheels but they need to make a wide version of them not the slim art style... nothing still compares to my aussie scotts
395roller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #36
SpeedTriple7
Supermoto Executive

Agreed.
Even the green 97's make people scatter like roaches when I lay in hard for a stop!

These are my new favorite "Friday Night" wheels when the rink crowd is a bit more unpredictable and I need to broadcast.
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #37
Bprendie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 395roller89 View Post
Skated Bprendie's 103a roller bones.. there on my bonts right now they are fast and grip quite well for the 103a duro. There very loud you can hear them rolling for sure and they turn heads with that loud screetching sound when you hockey stop them You can feel everything on the floor with them tho only thing i dont like. Nice wheels but they need to make a wide version of them not the slim art style... nothing still compares to my aussie scotts
I think any wheel that hard is going to give up a little smoothness for roll. You'll have to try out Serena's 97a's. They are a nice balance between grip roll and smoothness.
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #38
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bprendie View Post
I think any wheel that hard is going to give up a little smoothness for roll. You'll have to try out Serena's 97a's. They are a nice balance between grip roll and smoothness.
Any except for Aussie's.
So when can I get a set of these to strip the thane off?
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #39
395roller89
Thats Mr. Proline to you!

Quote:
Any except for Aussie's.
So when can I get a set of these to strip the thane off?
Agreed Nick i was just going to say that even the rated 97a scotts that i have feel like 99a and roll smooth as buttaa You cant get the 103a turbos this is the only prototype wheel floating aroud out there i believe Bob said they are coming out soon with a 97a 101a and a softer wheel i believe.
395roller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #40
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 395roller89 View Post
Agreed Nick i was just going to say that even the rated 97a scotts that i have feel like 99a and roll smooth as buttaa You cant get the 103a turbos this is the only prototype wheel floating aroud out there i believe Bob said they are coming out soon with a 97a 101a and a softer wheel i believe.
I have a set of the softer ones... they are good "just in case wheels" to have for derby, but probably too soft for sessions... they will not break free no matter what you do.

Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote