S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2017, 12:53 AM   #1
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L.A.
Posts: 89
Default A plate similar to Roll Line Dance?

Does anyone know of a plate that has a low center of gravity similar to the Roll Line Dance plate?

I've been trying to learn roller dance (for session) and am having trouble keeping myself stable and also not roll while trying to basically dance in place. I've tested out dancing on my Atlas plate and my Variant M plate. I've also tried softer wheels, down to 95A.

I don't want to go to a wider wheel because I still want to be able to do one-foot spins.

So, when it wasn't working out great on those two plates, I decided to try using my Roll Line Dance plate and it is pretty good! The only problem is that I do not want to use my dance skate and constantly be changing wheels and toe stops.

My Variant M plate is on my session skate right now, on a Riedell 336 (I couldn't fit another skate set up in my signature below haha). I can't afford to replace the Variant plate with a Roll Line dance plate so I was wondering if anybody would know of another plate I could look at that would be similar and not as expensive.

I believe it is the lower center of gravity on the dance plate that is making the difference. I can't remember all the truck angles, I think mine are all 15 degrees, but I don't think that is a factor here.
__________________
SP Teri, Roll Line Dance, RL-Ice, Bones Swiss
SP Teri, Atlas AE 2010, RL-Mustang/Panthers, Bones Swiss
SP Teri, Atlas Circle Master, RL-Giotto, Bones Ceramics

Last edited by BlondeWitch; January 12th, 2017 at 06:52 AM. Reason: added info
BlondeWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #2
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeWitch View Post
Does anyone know of a plate that has a low center of gravity similar to the Roll Line Dance plate?

I've been trying to learn roller dance (for session) and am having trouble keeping myself stable and also not roll while trying to basically dance in place. I've tested out dancing on my Atlas plate and my Variant M plate. I've also tried softer wheels, down to 95A.

I don't want to go to a wider wheel because I still want to be able to do one-foot spins.

So, when it wasn't working out great on those two plates, I decided to try using my Roll Line Dance plate and it is pretty good! The only problem is that I do not want to use my dance skate and constantly be changing wheels and toe stops.

My Variant M plate is on my session skate right now, on a Riedell 336 (I couldn't fit another skate set up in my signature below haha). I can't afford to replace the Variant plate with a Roll Line dance plate so I was wondering if anybody would know of another plate I could look at that would be similar and not as expensive.

I believe it is the lower center of gravity on the dance plate that is making the difference. I can't remember all the truck angles, I think mine are all 15 degrees, but I don't think that is a factor here.
maybe another alternative is to loosen or tighten your atlas plates trucks. many world champions skated dance on them for many years.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:29 AM   #3
larryoracing
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lomita, Ca, work in El Segundo, CA
Posts: 783
Smile Synder Imperial or Synder Imperial Light or Synder Royal Plate

BlondeWitch,

1) You are asking a loaded question, which I donít think I have an answer for. With my little bit of information and I do own a pair of Roll Line Dance Plates, with the low center of gravity.

They are by far my most favorite plate. They are low to the ground and really flexible/movable. I could really imaging dancing/session skating on them. They are very stable plate. So, not only are they stable, they can make spinning very easy. They can make spinning very easy.

I donít know much about your other plates, so I cannot comment on them.

2) My second plate is the Roll Line Energy and that is not a stable plate or a flexible plate to give you stability you are asking for. Itís a completely different plate and has it uses not the type you are looking for. I own a pair of Roll Line Energy plates.

3) My third plate I own, is a Roll Line Ring. USskates only has one pair left in stock and I donít know what size it is. You will have to call them. I got this 3rd plate (Roll line Ring) at a very low ďblow outĒ price.

a) It is suppose to have the low CG like the dance, but it doesnít have the toe stop provision. I have not mounted up these skates yet. So, I really donít know how they skate, but I hope to mount them up next month/in a few weeks and to see if they really skate like the Roll Line Dance plate?


4) A skate I would like to build is Synder Imperial Dance Light plate. The Synder Imperial plate is the closest plate to me to a Roll Line Dance plate, but I feel the Roll Line Dance is better/more flexible and more stable. But it would be my second choice.

a) The Synder Imperial Dance Light plate, has an old fashioned very thin aluminum plate plate. A very thin plate like they made in the 40ís and 50ís. But it has the 45 degree angle trucks mounted to this thin plate to give you that very stable and flexible skating action. This plate has a bolt on toe stop if needed. I bought an old pair of Synder Deluxe Light plates with this bolt on toe stop option.

This plate can also be upgraded to the machined down Synder Royal 45 degree trucks and mounted with the titanium axels.

b) I have been thinking about this setup for a long time and hopefully some day I will build this plate. It would be the closest thing I know to the Roll Line Dance Plate.

5) The Roll Line Matrix plate is suppose to have low Center of Gravity design, but I donít have a pair of those and I know they are more expensive than the Roll Line Energy and the Roll Line Energy is more expensive than the Roll Line Dance.

6) So, the Synder Imperial Plate would be the closest to the Roll Line Dance Plate, but they are heavy. They Synder Royal would be similar, but lighter and more expensive. The Synder Imperial "light" would be great, but does not have the toe stop, although they can be found. I'm sure Synder could supply them if you really asked...lol! They have not made them in over 60 years.

Sincerely,

Larry O
larryoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #4
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L.A.
Posts: 89
Default

Hi Larry,

I have not tried the Ring plate but my guess is that it is not a plate to buy when looking for stability with its 45 degree axles. I was under the impression that plate is good for loops. I already have a figure plate and I have no use for another plate without a toe stop. Also the Snyder Imperial has the same angle.

Maybe I am wrong about how the angles affect the stability. Of course adjusting trucks and cushion hardness are a factor. I thought 10 degree plates were the most stable, taking the other factors out of the equation.

Like most folks, I cant keep buying plates to try them. Unfortunately My foot is a lot bigger than most of the gals at my rink so I can't try their set ups. I just want to pick the right plate!

Let me know how those 45 degree trucks feel! I am curious.
__________________
SP Teri, Roll Line Dance, RL-Ice, Bones Swiss
SP Teri, Atlas AE 2010, RL-Mustang/Panthers, Bones Swiss
SP Teri, Atlas Circle Master, RL-Giotto, Bones Ceramics
BlondeWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 11:14 AM   #5
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeWitch View Post
Hi Larry,

I have not tried the Ring plate but my guess is that it is not a plate to buy when looking for stability with its 45 degree axles. I was under the impression that plate is good for loops. I already have a figure plate and I have no use for another plate without a toe stop. Also the Snyder Imperial has the same angle.

Maybe I am wrong about how the angles affect the stability. Of course adjusting trucks and cushion hardness are a factor. I thought 10 degree plates were the most stable, taking the other factors out of the equation.

Like most folks, I cant keep buying plates to try them. Unfortunately My foot is a lot bigger than most of the gals at my rink so I can't try their set ups. I just want to pick the right plate!

Let me know how those 45 degree trucks feel! I am curious.
not trying to insult u but if your feet are larger then the other ladys maybe u can try one of the mens with smaller feet.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #6
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L.A.
Posts: 89
Default

Haha Rick!

Good idea! I'm not insulted. I'm so in-between sizes.
In regular shoes I wear a ladies 9.

Too big for all but one of the girls and too small for the few guys at our rink.
But everybody at our club is on Roll Line or Atlas with a Snyder thrown in here or there. But all of those plates are either similar, or too expensive (Dance and Matrix)

I'm wondering if maybe one of the Sure-Grip or Powerdyne plates would be good. Also maybe a more derby-inspired plate would be made like the RL Dance.?

I should really expand my circle to session skaters. There is probably an ideal plate out there, I just have to find it.

If you hear of something like the Roll Line Dance that won't break the bank, let me know!
__________________
SP Teri, Roll Line Dance, RL-Ice, Bones Swiss
SP Teri, Atlas AE 2010, RL-Mustang/Panthers, Bones Swiss
SP Teri, Atlas Circle Master, RL-Giotto, Bones Ceramics
BlondeWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #7
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeWitch View Post
Haha Rick!

Good idea! I'm not insulted. I'm so in-between sizes.
In regular shoes I wear a ladies 9.

Too big for all but one of the girls and too small for the few guys at our rink.
But everybody at our club is on Roll Line or Atlas with a Snyder thrown in here or there. But all of those plates are either similar, or too expensive (Dance and Matrix)

I'm wondering if maybe one of the Sure-Grip or Powerdyne plates would be good. Also maybe a more derby-inspired plate would be made like the RL Dance.?

I should really expand my circle to session skaters. There is probably an ideal plate out there, I just have to find it.

If you hear of something like the Roll Line Dance that won't break the bank, let me know!
i dont think u will get what u want from sure grip or powerdyne plates. maybe u can get them used on facebook or ebay. for derby i would think most plates would do with the right cushions and adjustments.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 02:06 AM   #8
larryoracing
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lomita, Ca, work in El Segundo, CA
Posts: 783
Smile People talk about a DA 45???

Dear BlondWitch,

I got this feeling you are not going to find anything better than the Roll Line Dance plate

I have a set of Synder Imperials and they donít give you the stability and the feel of the Roll Line Dance but they are close

And I donít know how heavy your SP Teri boots are but the Edea Ice Fly boots are really light.

I weigh about 155 lbs and have Natural Yellow Cushions. I wonder what color cushions you are using? And your weight? I guess you are using the Natural Grey Cushions and you weight is probably around 110 lbs. I use the standard Bones 103 wheel at 62/63mm diameter.

Good luck and finding those skates. People talk about the DA 45 at 200 dollars.

Larry
larryoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM   #9
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.
 
SSpinball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 255
Default

I roll the Roll-Line Dance and would not trade for any other plate.
low center of gravity, very stable and flexible.



__________________
My skates ~ Roll-Line Dance, Rapido wheels, Swiss Gold bearings, and Edea FLY Boot.
SSpinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.