S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Dee
Fresh meatyness!

Default Where do I start!?

Hello Everyone!!

I'm new to this skating world and may be getting ahead of myself, but this isn't necessarily a BAD thing!

I'll be signing up to begin training with the flat track roller derby here in this new city I just moved to, and I'm both extremely excited and also intimidated all at the same time!

I've been trolling the forum to glean information of the skates and equipment I may need to start off with and found myself in a little over my head! I didn't realize this sport was as technical as it seems to be and I've learned it's not as simple as "just buying skates and going". There are plates, and ball bearings and different products and widths to gain speed and consistency of the wheels, and....whew!

Where do I start??

I'm a larger girl, weighing 275, 6'4". From what I can read there are certain things you can do to your skates to attempt to compensate for this. BUT...I'm a complete beginner. I've not been on skates since I was a teen! ....but I WANT to learn.

From reading over the forums, the reidell skate brand seems frowned upon.

I need a skate that will be comfortable, but support my size and weight while giving me the speed I may need once I can work my endurance up. What skate? What plating? What sort of wheels? I don't want to but a skate just to have a skate. I want a pair I can adjust as I grow and adapt...but be of good quailty that I can TRUST it.

Any suggestions from those with more wisdom than I?
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Reserector
ameteur debunker

What is your budget like? How much are you willing to spend?
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Dee
Fresh meatyness!

Budget is decent....perhaps around $500 to get me started, including the pads and whatnot I'll need. I figured between 200-300 should be reasonable to obtain a decent pair of skates that won't kill me.

I've seen multiple posts stating that comparing the reidell's to sure grips is like comparing filet mignon to ground chuck. Perhaps...I should begin somewhere in the middle? I don't know!
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Right now, the best derby package skate, IMHO, is the Rebel Invader. At around $200 or less, you get good quality everything. Boots that will hold up decent and are comfortable for most. A great handling METAL plate that can be ordered in the short forward configuration. Good bearings and wheels that will work at least O.K. in most rinks.

From there, you can step up to differnent boots depending on preference.

You may go with a lighter plate such as a white magnum if you can find a set.
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Dee
Fresh meatyness!

Excellent!! Thank you so much!!

Now I need to find a place I can FIND them, as I have big wider feet (like a man *L*) and I'm leery about buying them online
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:05 PM   #6
fierocious1

+1 on the Rebel Invader. Just make sure you order the D/A version.

Also this will leave you money on the table for several sets of wheels to be able to adapt to the different skate surfaces you will be on when your talent level warrants it.
Checking with your area derby people will give you a good idea of what wheels work. Just don't get too soft of a wheel. Try to borrow wheels during skate sessions to test for roll, if the wheels are too soft you will come to a stop fairly quickly and it would be lots of extra work to get any speed out of them.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Dee
Fresh meatyness!

Alright....so a no on the R3's

A yes to the rebel invaders...

I'm also hearing talk about bonts and vanilla-something? ((Good lords all, I'm soooo sorry I havn't learned all the terminology for this yet!))

I have a big foot...size 14 if they're female or 12 if they'll be mens, and wider than the average female shoe as well. It's a must MUST they be comfortable and not horribly heavy. I'm heavy! Dragging myself around WITH a heavy shoe will just get me laughed at! *L*
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM   #8
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post

I'm also hearing talk about bonts and vanilla-something? ((Good lords all, I'm soooo sorry I havn't learned all the terminology for this yet!))

I have a big foot...size 14 if they're female or 12 if they'll be mens, and wider than the average female shoe as well. It's a must MUST they be comfortable and not horribly heavy. I'm heavy! Dragging myself around WITH a heavy shoe will just get me laughed at! *L*
Most skates are in Men sizes for length in width, unless noted. A size 12 would probably be good for you if you wear a 12 in Mens.

And heavy is a generalization... if you're legs are already strong, then most skates shouldn't be a problem with weight. Just got to work on those stabalizing and balancing muscles.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:59 AM   #9
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

BAH Riedell boots are very good....(not a fan of their plates though.)
A lot of Riedell haters only ever skated the R3 or carrera.
And Ill bet MONEY that every single person posting here has had at least 1 pair they LOVED if they've been skating more than 5 years.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:07 AM   #10
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post

The problem w/ skate packages is companies make 1 thing well and they other 3 parts are.....Meeeeeehhhhhhh. EX. Riedell makes great boots.....the other stuff.......Meeeehhh. sure grip makes great plates and ok wheels... the boots are Meeehhhh.
The rebels probably the best of a bad bunch, And some people love r3's .....but any custom build from someone that knows what their doing will blow them away.

if you can in anyway afford it.........DO NOT buy a skate package.....get a custom build.

There are several people on the board who run skate shops. My FIRST suggestion would be to PM Docsk8 and see what Jam N' Speed has in and around your size.
You never know what could be sitting around on Mars...
For an idea of whats out there.....Connie's and other websites have quite a bit of info.http://www.create-a-skate.com/info.html
DO THE HOMEWORK!!!! You'll be glad in the end......skates is not something you want to impulse buy =)
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:02 AM   #11
7Skaters

www.create-a-skate.com has a section for bigger/wide/narrow skates. Never needed it, so haven't really looked it over much.

Custom skates are the best, but you'll have to know your current skating conditions first.

Shoe size is - typically - skate size (speed/jam/derby/etc. are USUALLY in male sizes, while the art boots are come in men's or women's) so that shouldn't be an issue, though with a wider foot, it could be.

Plates...heaviness is relative, as someone else mentioned. I had the good old Chicago skates from back in the day, once the boots finally gave out, I mounted those plates to my tennis shoes. When carrying them, they seem heavy, but I'm a swimmer and a dancer, so once on my feet...they're nothing...as I have more than enough leg strength. The XK-4's do seem a LOT lighter when carrying them...but once the skates with those plates are on my feet, I can't tell the difference at all.

I would hope you've been to your local rink (or rinks) by now. The surface, cleanliness, your weight and MANY other factors play into wheel choice, as well as the condition of the flat track you'll be on for derby. Even the few here who have only one pair of skates usually have at least 2 or 3 different sets of wheels based on where we skate. THAT is going to be the hardest to narrow down. As others suggested, ask other derby girls, ask at general sessions, even ask the owner(s)/manager(s) at your local rink(s) if they have a spare set of wheels you could try for a couple laps once you get your own skates.

Also remember tools! At the VERY least, you'll want to be able to get your wheels off/on if you have to change based on the surfaces you're skating on...also helps when borrowing others' wheels in the beginning so they don't have to do all the work for you. But if you get into derby, you'll porbably want a skate box like the rest of us, too. (We'll discuss that later) LOL
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:46 PM   #12
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
And Ill bet MONEY that every single person posting here has had at least 1 pair they LOVED if they've been skating more than 5 years.
I'll take that bet

Back on topic, you are an excellent candidate for used boots and plates, but new wheels and bearings.
Used boot's and plates are very durable and you get twice your moneys worth, for 250$ you should get a mid to high quality setup that was 500$ plus new.

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=38118 (size12)

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=38094 (size12)

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37596 (size 11)

Just a quick look at the used section here, if you buy used just ask that if the fit isn't correct you can return the item for a refund minus shipping, and use paypal.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Dee
Fresh meatyness!

Wow!!!

Thank you all so much!!

I was considering taking advise and buying used as I'm just starting out, and was looking at the second link for skates for sale

But again...I'm unfamiliar with brands and prices and which boots feels comfortable, which plates would be best and whatnot, so I'm just eyeballing this one for now until I read up a little more and ask a little more.

It sure seems complete though, all I'd need are more wheels, and protective gear.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:00 PM   #14
fierocious1

[QUOTE=Dee;528090]Wow!!!

Thank you all so much!!

I was considering taking advise and buying used as I'm just starting out, and was looking at the second link for skates for sale

But again...I'm unfamiliar with brands and prices and which boots feels comfortable, which plates would be best and whatnot, so I'm just eyeballing this one for now until I read up a little more and ask a little more.

You need a metal plate. Lasers would be a little too flexy for you. Plastic plates and weight are enemies. The Invaders are your best bet and very stable. I flexed plates badly at 230lbs. My invaders (D/A) took the weight and have been absolutely the best plate for the money I spent.

Last edited by fierocious1; August 2nd, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:16 PM   #15
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
You need a metal plate. Lasers would be a little too flexy for you. Plastic plates and lots of weight enemies. The Invaders are your best bet and very stable. I flexed plates badly at 230lbs. My invaders (D/A) took the weight and have been absolutely the best plate for the money I spent.
If the boot is a good fit it's a great start, then hunt up a used plate and have it installed, the laser will sell for close to what the metal plate will cost.
You can definitely skate the laser plate, after you start torquing on it and find it inadequate, replace it.
The boot is the most important ingredient.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:53 PM   #16
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
I'll take that bet

Back on topic, you are an excellent candidate for used boots and plates, but new wheels and bearings.
Used boot's and plates are very durable and you get twice your moneys worth, for 250$ you should get a mid to high quality setup that was 500$ plus new.

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=38118 (size12)

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37596 (size 11)

Just a quick look at the used section here, if you buy used just ask that if the fit isn't correct you can return the item for a refund minus shipping, and use paypal.
Good picks Ursle!!
Those Labeda boots are dead sexy throw a set of Invader DA 45 or Xk4 DA 45's on those and your golden (links to plates here)http://www.leadjammerskates.com/plates.html Also I've personally dealt with 73watermutt and he's a great guy to deal with.

The second while I agree metal plates is what you want, the Lasers will be skateable and IHMO they're the least flexy nylon plate out there.NOTHING like a probe etc. and Like he said you can always switch up remount and sell em. In long run your gonna want one of the previously mentioned plates short forward mounted but these would be an ok start.

the third would be cool if the boot fit BUT you'd want to change out the trucks w/ a DA conversion kit http://www.goldenskating.com/index.p...cts&c=24&p=132 again the trucks on them would be good to start with BUT not ideal.

your on the right path.......just wait till you get to wheels though.....
Old August 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #17
KMA

I was reading these posts and all of the advice and is this how people catch SEDS? I know it is contagious, but I was not sure how I caught it.

One more week to my custom Harlicks with the dance back......

and then

OOOO Wheels......

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #18
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
I was reading these posts and all of the advice and is this how people catch SEDS? I know it is contagious, but I was not sure how I caught it.

One more week to my custom Harlicks with the dance back......

and then

OOOO Wheels......

Katy
Pretty much I'm waiting for a plate to come back from the US in a friend's carry-on, in the mean time I've been planning the next project ... it's ok if I build more skates for myself as long as they're for different uses, right?
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #19
KMA

Skaters (or at least me) need a skate for every purpose, and to lend. I think I am up to 12 pair, they all have different uses. My daughters who dont skate much each have two pair, and one has an extra set of boots.

SEDS is a wonderful harmful (to the wallet) disease.

I am waiting for my custom Harlicks I am contemplating my next acquisition; custom Bonts?

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote