S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM   #1
moth
Color me your color, baby

Default More questions about truck and wheel adjustments

Hello. It's me again. It's be a while... :-)

Every time I put my left foot down, it feels like the front wheels on the skate are pulling to the inside. After I skate for a while, I eventually adjust my gait to compensate for it. But occasionally I'll get in this groove where I forget about it, put my foot down and stumble a little bit. For context, these are Sure- Grip XK-4 Doubler plates. They are squishy enough that I can move them about half an inch with my hands (note that I have unusually strong arms for a woman). The bearings are Bones Reds, and I've got them tightened down a bit more than an advanced skater would. When spun, the wheels more or less stop at the same time. Here's a picture of my left skate from the side:

http://mingu.sping.us/images/skate_side.jpg

On to the questions:

1. Should the wheels all spin at the same rate and stop at the same time?

2. Is there some adjustment I can make to the trucks on the right skate so that the front wheels stop pulling left when I set my foot down?

Thanks!

Last edited by moth; June 3rd, 2011 at 03:07 AM.
moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM   #2
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Spinning and Tracking

Spinning: When with good bearings, oiled and properly tightened each wheel should spin for quite some time. Each one will be different and that is mostly a bearing thing.

Tracking: Set each skate down and roll it on the floor. They should go mostly straight

More Later
Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:06 AM   #3
moth

Thank you for responding :-)

I put the skate on the floor and rolled it about 15'. It turns very slightly to the right. Just to make sure it's not the floor, I rolled it back the other direction and it did the same thing. Also, I think I forgot to put it back into my bag. Hope my dog doesn't chew it up (I am 10 miles away, having a sleep study).

Cheers,

ep
Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:23 AM   #4
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Bent King Pin/Underbelly

Hi moth,

Tracking: I was hoping that you would find a greater curve so that we knew it was either a bent / not perpendicular King Pin or something else on the skate itself.

The next test is to do this On Skates with full weight and gliding forward at some speed. Basically like a car the wheels on each skate should go mostly straight. Bend your knees and let the skates find their path.

BTW, as an aside, I just changed bearings tonight at skating and spun each wheel. Like I wrote they spun fast and easy yet no way where they the same nor could I count how many spins without some technical gadget.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 02:22 PM   #5
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default Check mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth View Post
Thank you for responding :-)

I put the skate on the floor and rolled it about 15'. It turns very slightly to the right. Just to make sure it's not the floor, I rolled it back the other direction and it did the same thing. Also, I think I forgot to put it back into my bag. Hope my dog doesn't chew it up (I am 10 miles away, having a sleep study).

Cheers,

ep
Another thing to check is if the plate is mounted off center, to much to the inside of the boot. You should see equaly amounts of each of your front wheels sticking out from the boot when you look at them directly from above..
pjmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default PJ is slightly ahead of me

Hi Again,

I also was thinking the same as PJmariner yet I wanted to go one step at a time. My last step is something off about your body that you will have to accommodate yet that becomes more difficult to diagnose on line.

Old June 6th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #7
moth

Thank you. I have looked at the bottom of the skates, and I see that the plates are mostly in the middle of the boot. In that there are some sections where there is a bit less boot on one side than the other, due to the way the plate is shaped.

I have class tonight, where I will have an opportunity to spend some time gliding. I have noticed in the past that sometimes when I am gliding, the left skate pulls in sharply to the right, other times it seems to work fine. But I will take better notes tonight.

One thing that's unusual about my physiology that might contribute to this weirdness: small feet. I am 5'8", 200lbs and my skate boots are a size 6 (and a hair too big, at that).

ep
Old June 7th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Problem not Repeating is a Bummer

Hi moth from Chicago,

Well I hope you took notes tonight at your class. I thought about giving you one foot glides as well to magnify what you are sensing.

Normally you should feel the problem skate turn all the time and not do it sometimes yet not other times. Still not sure what's the problem.

Old June 7th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #9
moth

Heya

I did as much skating on each food as my brain would allow (I'm still not good at skating on one foot for too long). On one foot, I felt no pulling. Gliding on two feet, the pulling was intermittent and more noticeable when I was going around corners.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like this is an issue with my body and not my skates. I'm going back out again on Wednesday, and I'll make more observations then.

Thank you, again, for your time and attention!

ep
Old June 7th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #10
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Appears you are Set

Hi, Thanks moth,

About the only thing it seems you need to do now is to start adjusting the front and back tightening of your cushions. Do it slowly at first 1/4 of a turn using a one foot glide on the straights. I am guessing that this small adjustment will take care of your problem on that one foot. Sometimes with new skates the cushions are clamped down too hard. BTW this can be a tedious process since after each adjustment you have to try all your skills forward and backwards.

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #11
moth

Thank you. I will try that when we get back from vacation next week. I want to take the jump bar out, so it is definitely time for me to review all the parts of the trucks and their functions.

ep
Old June 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #12
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

XK 4 are designed to use the jump bar....removing it is not advisable.
It's not just there for looks. Skate without it and you risk loosening the hanger rivets

As for your skate not going straight it's most likely a truck adjustment, pivot pin or bad cushion issue. at worst you could have a slightly bent axle.

when you remove your wheels take a real close look at your axles. usually bent ones are easy to spot but sometimes you just need to see them from a different angle.
remove your trucks disassemble them and check your cushions and caps for any irregularities, reassemble, make sure your pivot pins are adjusted correctly and there's no cracks or anything stuck in the pivot cups.
If it continues post it in Doc's forum with pic's from a few angles.
Good luck!!!
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:05 AM   #13
moth

While I was on vacation, I dropped my skates off at a shoe repair shop and had them install an additional grommeted hole such that I can now tighten the skates around the ankles. I've been meaning to do this for a while, but it's astonishing how much of a difference this made when I skated in them again. Before the extra hole, my choices were numb toes or a foot shifting around, and I had been opting for the latter.

How likely is it that my foot was sliding inside the boot, every time I put it down?

The gent who owns the rink I skate in suggested I might be happier with lighter Powerdyne plates instead of the XK-4s, as well. In particular because I have small feet.

Thoughts?
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #14
moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
XK 4 are designed to use the jump bar....removing it is not advisable.
It's not just there for looks. Skate without it and you risk loosening the hanger rivets
Thank you for this. Won't be removing them. Likely wouldn't make the trucks much lighter, anyhow.

Quote:
As for your skate not going straight it's most likely a truck adjustment, pivot pin or bad cushion issue. at worst you could have a slightly bent axle.

When you remove your wheels take a real close look at your axles. usually bent ones are easy to spot but sometimes you just need to see them from a different angle. Remove your trucks disassemble them and check your cushions and caps for any irregularities, reassemble, make sure your pivot pins are adjusted correctly and there's no cracks or anything stuck in the pivot cups. If it continues post it in Doc's forum with pic's from a few angles.
Good luck!!!
I noticed a huge improvement just from having the boot modified so that I can lace them tighter around the ankle. I forgot that I have high insteps and skinny ankles.

However, I have been itching to take these things apart, just to get a better idea of what the parts are and what each part is for. I am going on vacation #2 this week, but I'll do it when I get back.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to post your insights!

ep
Old June 29th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #15
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth View Post
The gent who owns the rink I skate in suggested I might be happier with lighter Powerdyne plates instead of the XK-4s, as well. In particular because I have small feet.

Thoughts?
My main thought would be to ignore anyone who would suggest swapping from a Sure-Grip plate to a Powerdyne one.

Seriously, do check for a bent axle, out of shape cushion or anything else looking wrong. As for the boots, having a boot that fits properly is really important. You can make up for them being too big with insoles (the ones designed for joggers), changing the way they're laced or wearing extra thick socks - though all these are stop-gap measures.
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #16
fierocious1

Most likely the problem you are having with the skate turning is due to overtightned trucks. I see a lot of that with the derby girls down here. They buy skates and effectively have the truck "locked out" by cranking down the cushions until the trucks will not move. This is part of your steering and traction too. Back off the trucks adjustment nuts until the trucks flop a little. Then tighten them up until the flop is gone then about a 1/4 turn tighter. Then loosen up the rear trucks about 1/8 turn. It will skate funny for a little while but it should clear up your steering problem. The rears should always be looser than the fronts by a small amount. It you have trouble with the adjustment after you have gotten used to it, you may have to go to yellow cushions on top and purple cones(sure grip super cushions) as a step to better handling. Later on run all yellows.
Invaders are lighter and nearly indestructible. You will miss the xk-4s handling later if you move on now. You can get cushions at Connies Skate place. Most stock cushions are too hard to start with, or it doesn't take long to move from beginner cushions to performance cushions.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #17
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
My main thought would be to ignore anyone who would suggest swapping from a Sure-Grip plate to a Powerdyne one.

Seriously, do check for a bent axle, out of shape cushion or anything else looking wrong. As for the boots, having a boot that fits properly is really important. You can make up for them being too big with insoles (the ones designed for joggers), changing the way they're laced or wearing extra thick socks - though all these are stop-gap measures.
+1
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #18
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

good advice all!

no way I'd trade Xk4 for a powerdyne. I'm just not a fan.
If you find getting your boot tight around the ankles requires you crushing your toes.....you might want to try using two laces instead of one.
This works well with your style boot run one lace from toe to mid and 2nd from mid to ankle. Of course this is only a temporary measure to make up for ill fitting boots. other thing to try might be a heel cup insert.
Let us know how it works out when your back