S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    


Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #1
MarkieCMarkieDo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wilmore, KY
Posts: 10
Default Inline skater face-plants on quads--Help!

I'd say I'm a solid to advanced intermediate skater on inlines, but I really want to do roller derby so have recently gotten some quads. I've figured out the different action for turns, etc., but I'm having a terrible time going backwards or rolling confidently on the rink carpet.

the problem is I'm used to having wheels closer to the end of my foot. I've rented the speed skates from the rink and have no problem backward skating with those. But the used cheapo quads I got off eBay are configured differently, and as best I can tell, they aren't customizable. So, I'm face-planting to the point of embarrassment when I try to skate backwards or when I'm on a resistant surface such as the carpet. I thought I had no pride left, but I guess I was wrong.

I learned to inline skate from Liz Miller's Get Rolling book. I was wondering if there was a similar resource that breaks down the mechanics of quad skating as well as this book does for inline skating. I'd also appreciate any other suggestions for thinking differently about balance on quads when going backwards as well as any advice for making the inline-to-quads transition.
MarkieCMarkieDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Salamanda
Senior Member
 
Salamanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,251
Default

I think you'd be a prime candidate for a short/forward or 'Aussie' style mount Do a search of the forums using these terms and read up on them.
__________________
"I guess there really is a fine line between gag ball and pacifier".
- Fresh Eddie Fresh 31/10/11-
Salamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #3
MarkieCMarkieDo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wilmore, KY
Posts: 10
Default

Yes, that mount is definitely what I need.

I bought my skates used for $44 on eBay, and I don't think that they're adjustable. any suggestions on how to rethink balance on these that have a different mount? I'm saving up for a pair of good skates; was planning to practice for now on cheapos.
MarkieCMarkieDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #4
MarkieCMarkieDo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wilmore, KY
Posts: 10
Default

P.S. I love pugs too!
MarkieCMarkieDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #5
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake
 
BlackLace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NZ
Posts: 715
Default

I'm an inline to quad newbie too.

Carpet's certainly different: get down very low, body slightly forward, but weight slightly further back than you would normally be, i.e. slightly more on the heels than the toe axles.

Backwards skating on quads, I haven't figured that out too well yet. So can't help there.

In general I've gotten a lot out of learning to grapevine on quads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhXDJ4htrI4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-swBB3LRKs

The second explains it better but it's for inlines, but the principle is the same (except on quads it's all toe-spins and no heel-spins). I found quads highly scary until I learned where the tipping points are, and grapevine is perfect for that.

Otherwise, I suggest getting very soft cushions and loosening your trucks as much as possible. The more I do this the more they skate like inlines
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4,349
Default

It would be helpful to know what you are skating. Do you have a picture? Also, can you go backwards in a circle of about 12 foot diameter well on inlines? If you can, that would be the place to start going backwards with quads. What you have will most likely not have great action. Start cautiously. You will not have the free leaning and angle change that you have with inlines. A short forward DA45 plate will likely be more like an inline going backwards in a circle. Good amounts of extra action for tightening a turn if your lean is off.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #7
MarkieCMarkieDo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wilmore, KY
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
It would be helpful to know what you are skating. Do you have a picture? Also, can you go backwards in a circle of about 12 foot diameter well on inlines? If you can, that would be the place to start going backwards with quads. What you have will most likely not have great action. Start cautiously. You will not have the free leaning and angle change that you have with inlines. A short forward DA45 plate will likely be more like an inline going backwards in a circle. Good amounts of extra action for tightening a turn if your lean is off.
Yes, I can do the backwards circle thing. I'll work on that with the quads.

I put a picture of the quads in an album on my user profile. Can't really see much from that. I'll post another tomorrow. Like I said--$44 on eBay so don't expect much.
MarkieCMarkieDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #8
MarkieCMarkieDo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wilmore, KY
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLace View Post
I'm an inline to quad newbie too.

Carpet's certainly different: get down very low, body slightly forward, but weight slightly further back than you would normally be, i.e. slightly more on the heels than the toe axles.

Backwards skating on quads, I haven't figured that out too well yet. So can't help there.

In general I've gotten a lot out of learning to grapevine on quads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhXDJ4htrI4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-swBB3LRKs

The second explains it better but it's for inlines, but the principle is the same (except on quads it's all toe-spins and no heel-spins). I found quads highly scary until I learned where the tipping points are, and grapevine is perfect for that.

Otherwise, I suggest getting very soft cushions and loosening your trucks as much as possible. The more I do this the more they skate like inlines
Thanks! those videos are really helpful!
MarkieCMarkieDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #9
fierocious1
Senior Member
 
fierocious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,338
Default

It's not an adjustment, it's a remount you need. Shift the plate forward when it is remounted and you will be able to skate backwards again.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #10
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts: N. Central & NE
Posts: 4,607
Default Scissors Backwards then slight heel lift

Hi,

I don't know about a carpet. It seems to me like that should be hard unless a fast carpet. Go out to the floor have someone put their arms under yours, not holding on, and start with the backwards scissors. NO lifting of heels. This move is in a book someplace.

Once you got that mastered then start picking up a heel just a tad and pushing more with your toe like pigeon toes. One foot back pushes with each foot separately as you glide on the down back foot.

We have had discussions on this on SLF, Joe Enthor from the Buffalo, NY area might have a You Tube video. Also watch a Derby Practice for Fresh Meat.

You don't need a new mounting to skate backwards.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
__________________
InDoor Quads: Witch Doctor Wheels, Bones Swiss/Qube-Gold Bearings, Older RollerBlade Wrist Guards -| InDoor Clothes: Cargo Shorts, Sweat Towel
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #11
MarkieCMarkieDo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wilmore, KY
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi,

I don't know about a carpet. It seems to me like that should be hard unless a fast carpet. Go out to the floor have someone put their arms under yours, not holding on, and start with the backwards scissors. NO lifting of heels. This move is in a book someplace.

Once you got that mastered then start picking up a heel just a tad and pushing more with your toe like pigeon toes. One foot back pushes with each foot separately as you glide on the down back foot.

We have had discussions on this on SLF, Joe Enthor from the Buffalo, NY area might have a You Tube video. Also watch a Derby Practice for Fresh Meat.

You don't need a new mounting to skate backwards.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
YES! This is what I need! I'd love to have a new mounting, but, in some ways, that's the easy way out.

What I really wanted was some suggestions, guidance, etc. on how to think differently about balance on quads. The book I learned to inline skate from said to be heavy on heels, light on toes for skating forwards and the opposite for skating backwards--heavy on toes, light on heels. Well, "heavy on toes" equals "face on floor" with my skates in their current configuration.

I'll hunt up some of the resources you suggested. Thanks!
MarkieCMarkieDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #12
Salamanda
Senior Member
 
Salamanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkieCMarkieDo View Post
P.S. I love pugs too!
Who doesn't!? You'd have to some sort of mean, horrible person not to like pugs.
__________________
"I guess there really is a fine line between gag ball and pacifier".
- Fresh Eddie Fresh 31/10/11-
Salamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #13
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer
 
Elysarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lincoln, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkieCMarkieDo View Post
YES! This is what I need! I'd love to have a new mounting, but, in some ways, that's the easy way out.

What I really wanted was some suggestions, guidance, etc. on how to think differently about balance on quads. The book I learned to inline skate from said to be heavy on heels, light on toes for skating forwards and the opposite for skating backwards--heavy on toes, light on heels. Well, "heavy on toes" equals "face on floor" with my skates in their current configuration.

I'll hunt up some of the resources you suggested. Thanks!
I have a feeling the "heavy heel, light toe" advice for forwards skating (and the opposite for reverse) is to try to prevent newbies getting into bad form (the inliners will be able to point out if I'm wrong here) as toe-pushing is not considered a good thing

I have to admit though that my skating style has changed of late, mostly from reading these forums and changing to a slightly short forward mount on my quads - I seem to be pushing more with my heels than my toes and, as yet, I still can't skate backwards... can do a mean Mohawk on my old "skateboard mount" skates though
__________________
Wigan Roller Rink, The place to be seen

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #14
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts: N. Central & NE
Posts: 4,607
Default Uncle to a good InLiner

Hi Again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkieCMarkieDo View Post
YES! This is what I need! I'd love to have a new mounting, but, in some ways, that's the easy way out.

What I really wanted was some suggestions, guidance, etc. on how to think differently about balance on quads. The book I learned to inline skate from said to be heavy on heels, light on toes for skating forwards and the opposite for skating backwards--heavy on toes, light on heels. Well, "heavy on toes" equals "face on floor" with my skates in their current configuration.

I'll hunt up some of the resources you suggested. Thanks!
Again get on the Floor.
And the fastest safest way to learn backwards is for someone (preferably a girl) let you rest your arms on top of their arms. OK I have also done this with guys in a pinch. Usually I try to get them to use one of their friends so I can keep skating.

By the way that book quote you are giving me is reasonably correct also for Quads, yet I would say replace 'heavy' with 'light' . When you watch most really great backward quad skaters you might not even guess they are picking up their heels. Unless of course they are doing crossovers or some fancy sexy backward toe stuff.

In chasing my two buddy 20s brothers who again I won't see till winter, I have always loved how they really pick up that back heel on their InLines and have a great toe movement. For Quads you don't normally do the same. Since we skate so much together chasing each other and people ask him, he says I should tell them I am his uncle.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Edit-01: Here is Joe's Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9OPQ..._order&list=UL
Well I understand what he is doing yet that backwards march should be hard for most. When he gets into the backwards glides I once again agree.

Edit-02: Here is doing Back Crossovers similar to the Front Crossover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljLUY...eature=related

Here he is doing a bit better, yet I got tell you that is a hard move for most that he makes look so simple
__________________
InDoor Quads: Witch Doctor Wheels, Bones Swiss/Qube-Gold Bearings, Older RollerBlade Wrist Guards -| InDoor Clothes: Cargo Shorts, Sweat Towel

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; June 10th, 2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Joe's Link, Back Crossovers
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #15
MarkieCMarkieDo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wilmore, KY
Posts: 10
Default One problem solved

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas and videos! Just wanted to let you know that I solved one of my problems--the bearings!

I took them all off, and cleaned and re-oiled them, and the skating is MUCH smoother; they were really cruddy. Now I can really work on the techniques you all have suggested.

What a great forum this is! Thanks so much for your encouragement and advice!
MarkieCMarkieDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.