S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:50 PM   #1
skaterdog

Default Dog on the trail...What would you do?

During this nice weather on the local trails I've had a few close calls lately including a wicked wipeout on a wooden bridge two days ago.

Here is my scenario and question to the forum.

You are approaching a long leashed dog walker at the bottom of a hill. The dog appears to be under control and you have called out to alert the dog walker that you are passing. As you pass you see the dog dash in front of you stretching the leash across your path. You have a split second to decide what to do...Would you....

1) Try to bail out on the grassy side of the trail risking injury.

2) Try to jump over the leash

3) Aim directly for the dog walker and crash into him.

4) Wish you had ordered the Gator Leash/brake and prepare to fall.

Last edited by Kathie Fry; August 22nd, 2006 at 11:10 PM. Reason: expanded title
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:01 PM   #2
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

If I can see the problem way in the distance (20ft) I'll use the Gatorleash and brake. Up close and personal...I aim for the grass. Failing that I aim for the dog and either a) skirt around the dog on one foot or b) pick up the dog and bring the owner along for the ride. I've used the grass and I've used the glide on one leg. I've done the pickup thing to kids at the rink.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:20 PM   #3
speedysktr
President of Everything

jump the leash if I think I can make it, otherwise shoot from the hip, depends on the dog's size, owner's size etc. I've jumped a leash before, but that's not always an option. I roll into grass regularly to slow me down, but that's not always an option.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4
Jim White

I generally do #5, don't approach anything at high speed unless I'm confident there is minimal risk. If you've had several close calls recently, something isn't computing. We've had a similar discussion about trucks parked on trails. You either control your own destiny, or give that control to others, like dogs.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:25 PM   #5
Acidedge

When skating on shared pathways, you shouldn't be travelling at such a speed that you can't stop in time for such a eventuality. If the dog owner is wandering aimlessly across the cycle path and such thing occurs, then a powerslide between dog and owner, wrenching the lesh from the owner's grip would be my ploy, with a suitable warning about wandering aimlessly along cycle paths accompanying returning the lesh to the owner. Then skate off before you get the full torrent of abuse about reckless behaviour from the clueless induhvidual.

Oh, and learning to skate on grass might help, as a fallback plan.
Acidedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

I've accustomed myself to carrying a small pocket knife on the trails now, for whatever purpose may lend itself. I think about plunging it into the skull of an attacking dog in lieu of pepper spray, but that thought doesn't go over real well with wifey. Seeing the above situation in advance, I'd be inclined to open said knife, aim for leash and cut as I go. How she recovers her dog is entirely up to her, should said dog turn into the aforementioned "attack" dog, rule #1 applies. JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:01 PM   #7
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

I've thought about it before, and I'd like to think I'd do an impressive flying leap over the leash while at the same time doing a 360 or something cool like that. In reality, I would probably end up in the grass, after doing an unintentional acrobatic fall.
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:32 PM   #8
Code Monkey

Since I did a grass stop one time while skating on my Bones Swiss 6 and getting grit in them and ruining them. I tried everything to save them but to no avail. So when I see people with dogs I slow down and yell out. If they don't respond I give as much space as I can away from the dog so I try to go on the person side. If everything fails I hit the dog. I learned that if you hit the person you can be charged with assault.

I did have an encounter with two pit bull dogs a few weeks ago and I did not mess around. The owner (typical macho guy) thought it was funny seeing his dogs chase me. Well, fortunately I easily out skated them. Since doing two days a week all out fast chasing a bike where my heart rate is somewhere around 300, I have noticed just my regular skating is much faster. Of course nothing like you animals but then you all are way beyond. When the dogs gave up on me and headed back I turned back so the owner could see me I called the police on my cell phone. They came very quickly and animal control took the dogs away. I have not seen the person or dogs since. Also since that time the police regularly patrol the area and I have not seen any dogs off the leash.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:46 PM   #9
gbo
once faster than a wocket

Code Monkey wrote:
Quote:
...my heart rate is somewhere around 300
Feels like this needs the subtitle, 'For trained professionals only. Do not attempt this at home.'

Bummer about the moron with the dogs. I'm glad that animal control came and took them and that you weren't hurt.

gbo
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #10
NWGlenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
I've accustomed myself to carrying a small pocket knife... I'd be inclined to open said knife, aim for leash and cut as I go. How she recovers her dog is entirely up to her, should said dog turn into the aforementioned "attack" dog, rule #1 applies. JB
To avoid dangerous weapon charge I recommend one of those letter openers about as wide as a credit card but a little shorter...has a deep 'V' in one long edge with a blade angled in the bottom. No opening involved and a danger only to the leash scooped up in the 'V'
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #11
online inline

i'm with Acidedgeand Jim White, slow down when you see a dog on a leash, at least slow enough so that if the worst does happen, you are a speed capable of stopping or minimizing damage.

I will tell you that when errant dogs encounter me, they usually have met their match - i am at least as loud as any barking dog when they are not under control, and i get so mad, netiher their owner nor I know for sure if I'd bite.

I;'m not kidding- When a dog acts up, i have an incredibly loud, deep shout, like 'GET OVER' or "GOD DAMN IT'. And I'll usually let the owner know what i think before i'm through.

But you would be surprised at how effective a really loud shout is at stopping a dog in it's tracks. It is very effective.

But avoidance is the first tactic, as said before. Slow down, stand up, and avoid staring the dog down. Let them both know you are passing. You do not want to appear to be in attack mode, adn approaching at too fast a speed, in a crouched (poised to strike) position appears like attack mode to the dog. Also, dogs feel threatened by sustained eye contact. I use a calm but reasonalby audible voice to alert them i am passing. Standing up and relaxing is very important as the dog responds quite a bit to body language.

A dog on a leash has never crossed my path, luckily, but a guy i skate with about once a week tells me that his strategy when this happens is to get low for stability, and grab the leash as it crosses you, and yank it hard out of the owner's hand once you grab it. seems like a good strategy, as jumping it sounds like a really bad idea, and the other (dog) end of the leash can't really give.

SO, like everything else, expect the unexpected, announce your presence, be ready to react, and be at least as wild as any wild beast that may be so unfortunate as to cross you.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #12
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

Here's another variable. If the dog walker is really cute, then I slow down as much as possible, and then use mvirtue's tactic in reverse: pick up the owner and bring the dog for a ride. If said dog is protective, I use the owner as a shield.

No really, I use the owner in any case. They're more likely to be able (and sort of willing) to prevent you from falling, as they don't want to fall themselves. They will see you reaching to grab them, and will brace themselves. Karma, and karma alone, will determine whether they are cute!
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #13
Pepper Montana

The rule is that you always are the responsible party if you are overtaking a pedestrian. Even pawdestrians. (I just made that up.) Skaters need to face it that it is our fault if something happens.

However, I bellow at the dog walkers in a Foghorn Leghorn style, "I say, I say there, your canine is impeding my progress!" That usually works pretty well.
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #14
Jim White

"Passing on your left, please" works for me.
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #15
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim White View Post
"Passing on your left, please" works for me.

Jim...Some of the pedestrians on the local trails have music plugged into their ears and don't react to the verbal "greetings"...I'd have to assume you would run into this from time yourself. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they have heard or not.

Coming to a stop every time I pass a dog is an option too... (as you had mentioned earlier). I typicaly don't do this.
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #16
Jim White

Quote:
Some of the pedestrians on the local trails have music plugged into their ears and don't react to the verbal "greetings"...I'd have to assume you would run into this from time yourself.
Yes, literally run into, interesting story. Last week a few of us were in a pace line on a trail, going about 20MPH. We approached a plugged skater behind a couple of slow, side-by-side bicycles. Just as we were right behind the plugged skater, she pulled out to pass they bikes, thus completely blocking the trail, even though we yelled at her. The lead skater is a little more aggressive than me (has been a national level wrestler), he grabbed the plugged chick by the hips and pushed her along until past the bikes, then pushed her back into her lane. You should have seen the look on her face!

If I'd been alone, I'd have approached more slowly.

When someone tells me that they are about to pass, I give a thumbs up with my left hand. Some others on our trail do similar. If someone doesn't react when I greet them, I know they are clueless, so approach accordingly.
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #17
skaterdog

Jim...good story about the plugged skater. "A little more aggressive than me" is right but I can see how that could happen. Sometimes you just have to react and let your instincts take over. The bottom line is that nobody got hurt and your fearless leader did what he had to do.
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #18
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.
Cool

In the words of Sarge on old TV police series, Hill Street Blues, "Hey! Be careful! It's a jungle out there." We are responsible for our and others safety when utilizing the trails, so caution is alway in style.

When I bought my first inline skates in 1999 I asked the young male clerk what I should wear when skating and if protective pads were necessary. He replied, "Just wear an old pair of jeans and old shirt. That's all you need."

Ok, so I'm skating on Cady Way Trail and near the end of my skate I see a young teen walking his half-grown golden retreiver coming toward me. I see the kid has a leash in his hand but it's not attached to the dog.

Not knowing much about speed control or stopping, the ALERT light goes on in my head, but what am I to do? I slow down some but am still rolling faster than I would like when the pup decides to bound up and greet me. The pup isn't accustomed to skaters closing speed and I don't know how to stop. I crouched down into the basic skaters stance and my knees knocked the dog about six feet backwards. Yelping, he ran to his owner as I did a great windmill to avoid an asphalt facial.

Bottom line, the dog was not hurt, mostly startled, and quickly leashed by the kid before proceeding. I'm frightened too, but manage to stay on my feet and resolved to buy all the protective gear I can find on my way home from the trail.

So be prepared for the unexpected, especially when you see kids and animals ahead.

Ken

LezSk8 Central Florida!
LezSk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #19
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

There is one trail near where I live that actually has big signs (I know, ugly) at every entrance to the trail which detail the common protocols of walking, biking, & skating. Regarding passing, it reads "if you wish to pass, simply yell 'ON YOUR LEFT' and pass CAREFULLY. If you hear someone else yell 'ON YOUR LEFT', move to the right and let them pass."
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #20
online inline

Wow, the things you learn on a message board! All this time that i've been skating with my headphones on, real loud, by the way, and i thought they were saying "Are You Deaf?!!!

Geez! I wouldn't have flipped off half of them if i knew they were saying "on Your Left"

Huh! Thanks a million.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote