S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old August 12th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #1
AndrewV

Default Are there good places to skate in Pasadena ?

I'm to visit Pasadena in October and would like to know if it's good idea to take skates with me. I'm a beginner at inline speedskating so desirable track is a lane with good asphalt and it would be great if its length at least 5 miles. ...or maybe not in Pasadena but somewhere in LA vicinity
AndrewV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #2
Jim White

For sure bring your skates. Venice Beach is perhaps the most famous place in the world to skate, and perhaps Kathie will join you there. There's tons of other places, I'm surprised no-one else has responded, but one thing you can do is skate Venice and ask other skaters there. Or you can do the old standard when you're there, ask bike shops for bike trails.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #3
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

The parking lot of the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena is a popular spot for inline skating on the weekends. Here is more information:
If you don't mind driving a little, there are plenty of Los Angeles Bicycle Trails, including of course, our 30 mile bicycle trail on the beach that goes from Torrance in the south almost to Malibu in the North.

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #4
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

If your're up for a challenge, look up the Los Angles Beach Skaters Wednessday Night hammer.

It's about a marathon, and the course is "slightly technical" but they were pretty good about keeping together.
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #5
AndrewV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim White View Post
For sure bring your skates. Venice Beach is perhaps the most famous place in the world to skate, and perhaps Kathie will join you there. There's tons of other places, I'm surprised no-one else has responded, but one thing you can do is skate Venice and ask other skaters there. Or you can do the old standard when you're there, ask bike shops for bike trails.
Yes, I'm looking at the Google maps and bike trails along the beach looks like one of the most amaizing places to skate. Are bike trails clean enougt from sand ? I'm just worry about bearings. The only problem might be is that I'll be there without car and hotel is quite far away from the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieFry View Post
The parking lot of the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena is a popular spot for inline skating on the weekends. Here is more information:
If you don't mind driving a little, there are plenty of Los Angeles Bicycle Trails, including of course, our 30 mile bicycle trail on the beach that goes from Torrance in the south almost to Malibu in the North.
Thanks, really good idea about at parkings. Are there any laws in US which restrict skating at parkings ? I've just remembered a very nice parking near Arcadia Race Track. Can I skate there ? I think this is the nearest place for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev Gnoll View Post
If your're up for a challenge, look up the Los Angles Beach Skaters Wednessday Night hammer.
It's about a marathon, and the course is "slightly technical" but they were pretty good about keeping together.
Are they meeting every week ? And "marathon" sounds really great ! If it takes for them to cover 42km in two hours I think that is ok for my current physical conditions
How can I contact them ?

Thank you for answers. Now I belive that bringing skates 6000 miles away from home (Moscow) is really worth idea

And one more - now I think that I don't need a place to skate, I need a company to skate. I've found that there is a LA friday night skating and as Dev Gnoll told LA Beach Skaters. Any other variants ?
My schedule will be quite dence, I just want to know that for every freed evening I have a plan

PS Sorry for my awful English
AndrewV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #6
Jim White

Beach trails are sandy. Actually you must be careful you don't hit so much sand that you slip. Most skate bearings are sealed, so sand isn't a major problem. If you are worried, get some cheap or old bearings for beach skating and/or put vasoline on the outside of the bearings. Yes, the beaches are far from Pasadena. But they are what is really California, not just the skating, but also the people you find there, like Kathie, and much more, and the shops, and the water, and the sand, it's heaven on earth for many people.

Regarding parking lots, you must expect that skating is forbidden in almost all them, because they are owned by a private organization, or are covered by rules that say no skating. But if other people are skating, it is probably OK for you, and for sure is if Kathie says it is. Obviously don't skate where there is much traffic, or the parking is full of cars. Some parkings have guards who you can ask. If it looks OK, try it. I've done that in various countries and have usually been OK, the worst is that I'm told to leave, although I had a situation in Paris I'm told I was lucky to not end up in jail for.

If you find local people to skate with, try to skate with them before you do the complicated or risky things, get their advice first, probably they'll help you find an easy and safe way.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote