S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old April 11th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #61
mills

Default Uncle Charlie's Magic Oil.

Holy, holy.
I miss that stuff.
My bearings haven't been the same.
mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #62
bobnva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills View Post
Holy, holy.
I miss that stuff.
My bearings haven't been the same.
Order a couple tubes.

Uncle Charlies Magic Oil
bobnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #63
mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnva View Post
Order a couple tubes.

Uncle Charlies Magic Oil

Ok, so you're pretty much my hero today.
mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #64
bobnva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills View Post
Ok, so you're pretty much my hero today.
bobnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #65
Valdecus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Waldecks were the originals and one of the two best art wheels ever produced, at least at that time. Valdecks were a knockoff that, by reputation at least, were not as good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
Now the Waldeck from I think("geriatic moment 'Possibly'") I was told...was sold and the company named it Valdeck. Now I am hearing that the Valdeck was a knock off and not as good. So what did happen to this German Wheel company?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
From what I heard at the time the Waldecks were not being imported as of the late 70's so the supply had pretty much dried up. Valdecks were IIRC made by the same company that made the Hugger wheels. Then there was a claim in the ads that Waldecks were still being imported after the Valdecks came out but nobody could seem to get a set so...
Sorry for digging up this ancient thread but I was cleaning up my basement and came across three new old stock sets of Waldeck Silver Flip wheels...

The Waldeck wheels were produced by my grandfather and European champion in artistic roller skating, Karl Waldeck. He started producing them in the early 60's and they were quite popular all over Europe and North America. My family continued to produce the wheels after Karl Waldeck died in 1974. The last batches must have been manufactured around 1980.

In the mid 70's, Vanguard in the US copied the wheels, named them "Valdeck", and even imitated the green font on the rims. For a small family business catering to a niche market in North America it was impossible to come up with the funds for a legal battle in the U.S. For a limited period, the original "Waldeck" wheels and the "Valdeck" copies were sold at the same time. In the early 1980's sales went down because of the cheaper "Valdeck" wheels and my grandmother decided to close down the wheel business altogether.

The manufacturing process was quite difficult at the time. The raw wheels were produced by RADO in Remscheid. RADO was owned by the Brothers Dornseif, the family that also owned HUDORA (a famous manufacturer of ice skates, boots, roller skates and wheels). In 1959, RADO was one of the first companies that produced rubber wheels for use in roller skates. As a consultant to RADO and Hudora, my grandfather eventually set out to produce his own artistic roller skating wheels in the early 60's using specially formulated rubbers to achieve the required specifications.

The raw wheels coming from the factory were hand-selected and then turned by hand to specs (outside, rims, ball bearing seat, ...). In a last step, each wheel was imprinted with the name of the wheel using a hot press (one of my jobs as a little kid... ).

So, here are the last three sets of original Waldeck Silver Flip wheels in mint condition from the original manufacturer...

Cheers
Andreas

Valdecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 02:12 PM   #66
Ancient1

Hi Andreas,
Wow! Great History in a sad sort of way. I stated skating in Tampa early 70's and the dance and figure skaters loved the Waldecks very much. I was a freestyle skater mostly so I used my Fomac FreeStyle wheels for everything. But what the dance and figure skaters said was that the Waldecks were fast and the only down side was that the got flats easy. So not many of us who did freestyle used them unless we had a second pair of skates. What a shame we keep losing such great products.

Thanks for that history
Old April 4th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #67
Nostalgic

Thanks for the info. Nobody I knew had any knowledge whatsoever about where they came from except "Europe". There's lots of interest in old products. Everybody wants what they cannot have.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #68
rwsz

nice i wonder if they dried out and hardened over the years and if they are skate able and safe. they look great
Old April 5th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #69
Valdecus

Based on the materials used, the wheels should still be fine and skatable.

Cheers
Andreas
Valdecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 11:28 AM   #70
larryoracing

Smile Would you be interested in selling a set.

I did get first place in my figures last week...lol!

I have begun skating figures. It's kind of fun. I enjoy it.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 10:28 AM   #71
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I did get first place in my figures last week...lol!

I have begun skating figures. It's kind of fun. I enjoy it.

Larry O

Awesome Larry.