S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old November 21st, 2015, 10:20 PM   #1
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Default Crap... I'm in trouble!

I wrecked my wife's bearings.

Well, maybe...maybe not.

I was just skating in Melbourne (Florida) in the rain. I thought I had my Twincam mx2 bearings in my wife's 105mm wheels... but it turns out I was mistaken and I hadn't swapped her training bearings for my 'spring time' mr2's a month ago as I had thought.

Anyway... I was doing laps yesterday AM, skating the A1A trail from Sebastian Inlet southward and it rained the whole last lap. "No Problem" I thought, I've got double sealed bearings. After the laps I went back to the hotel, showered, threw my stuff in the suitcase, had breakfast, met up with my co-workers and hopped on the flight home.

So, today I unpack and find all my wheels locked up! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! mr2 aren't supposed to do this!!!

Well, DUH. I'd swapped my mr2's into a different set of her 105 wheels.

So... I've been madly working on cleaning up her training bearings before she gets home from running some errands. Her bearings are drying out right now.

What do you think my chances are of getting away with this?
Old November 21st, 2015, 10:27 PM   #2
kufman

If there is rust in the bearings there is very little chance that the will bounce back. If they do come back, they will be very poor. Take off the shields and soak them in wd-40 or some other kind of penetrating oil. Plan old oil may work. If they do unlock, clean them out and re-oil/re-grease and see if they roll. At the very least, they will be sloppy and rough.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 11:56 PM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

If they are rust welded shut just put the skates on and stomp and kick to spin the wheels. It will break them loose. I have done it so many times in the past.

Clean em. Oil them. Skate them. Reclean them after 10 hours or so of skating. Repeat.

If you keep them clean and start using them they will polish back out but it will take time and repeat cleanings.
Old November 21st, 2015, 11:59 PM   #4
matguy

Once they're bad at all they might get a bit better, but likely won't ever be "good" again. Replace 'em.

Randy Welch has had new sets of Bones Swiss on sale lately on the Second Chance Skates Facebook group. I got some for $60/16, but he's had some for even better, lately.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5996485&type=3
Old November 22nd, 2015, 04:41 AM   #5
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Thanks guys!

I guess my question was more of a social/relationship type question.

I know the bearings will never be quite as good as they were, and that replacing them is easy and low dollar (relatively speaking).

Right now I'm faced with 'You wrecked my bearings... what were you thinking? Why would you go and do this, anyway?' (OK... I'm really overplaying this, but its kind of fun, right?)

So... who else has done something dumb and wrecked a spouse's gear?
Old November 22nd, 2015, 05:15 AM   #6
cass38a

Just swap them for a set of your own bearings before she gets home. Then get yourself some new ones
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 05:44 AM   #7
matguy

My spouse doesn't skate... yet. (She's thinking about it, but didn't like the Powerslide R2's she tried; she very well could end up being as picky as I am.)

But, I think that having replacements already on order is a good start. Or, if you have any kind of shop you can get them locally, that'd help. You can think outside the box for this, too. Such as if you have a skateboard shop around, they often stock decent bearings.

I mean, unless she's otherwise attached to these bearings for some reason.

But I do like cass38a's idea.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:09 AM   #8
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
Probably a little bit worse than if you hadn't posted about it on the internet where she might see it.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 12:00 PM   #9
evilzzz

I reckon if you swap 'em with some buck bearing and don't mention it, she'll be hard pressed to notice the difference.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 01:04 PM   #10
ursle
Street Skater

Don't dig yourself in deeper "buck" up the truth, or simply put: "do unto others"

Now you owe her a set of bones ceramics, make ya think more next time
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 02:47 PM   #11
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzzz View Post
I reckon if you swap 'em with some buck bearing and don't mention it, she'll be hard pressed to notice the difference.
+1

Because no ones really going to notice bearings anyways. The conditions needed to notice the difference are rink environments, empty floor, no possible interference etc. And even then only someone who knows their bodys fatigue expectancy would even be able to make a guess if you had high priced bearings in or not.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 05:49 PM   #12
kentek

Default See...

...that's what you get when you have more than one set of wheels and bearings.
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:10 AM   #13
journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
+1

Because no ones really going to notice bearings anyways. The conditions needed to notice the difference are rink environments, empty floor, no possible interference etc. And even then only someone who knows their bodys fatigue expectancy would even be able to make a guess if you had high priced bearings in or not.
The difference in bearings quality and condition is huge. If you only use the same set of bearings every time you skate, you have nothing to compare to.
Dirty bearings are slow. Greased bearings are slow. Hastily cleaned bearings are slow. Rusted bearings are slow. I now soak them overnight, and I can feel the difference by the time I get to the end of my driveway. My full ceramics took maybe three skates and a good cleaning to break into their full speed. I use a drop of thin oil, and rub in a dab of grease on the outside of it when it's in the wheel to seal everything.
journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:18 AM   #14
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman View Post

The difference in bearings quality and condition is huge. If you only use the same set of bearings every time you skate, you have nothing to compare to.
Dirty bearings are slow. Greased bearings are slow. Hastily cleaned bearings are slow. Rusted bearings are slow. I now soak them overnight, and I can feel the difference by the time I get to the end of my driveway. My full ceramics took maybe three skates and a good cleaning to break into their full speed. I use a drop of thin oil, and rub in a dab of grease on the outside of it when it's in the wheel to seal everything.
Sure, whatever bro I still say BS.

Its like trying to use your pinch for gauging parts to the thousandth within a +/- .001. Not gonna hapoen. The bearings would have to be soo messed up that they would be audiable outside of a silent room, or putting in semi precision bearings. Or you have a overpacked greased bearing with the wrong spec lubricant for its job.

If you think its your bearings making you slow, the mirror tells the whole story.

Show me a reliable test configuration that displays a significant difference in starting and running torque at 300 rpm. Until you have data that is factual, its a placebo effect more than anything. Belief is a strong motivator.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 06:10 AM   #15
bjvircks
Major Trouble

hey, children... take your pissing contest somewhere else. The grownups are trying to have fun here.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 09:00 AM   #16
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
hey, children... take your pissing contest somewhere else. The grownups are trying to have fun here.
Lol sorry bud.

People want to believe the high priced bearings they buy will make them faster, i dont blame them a bit. Any money spent is hoped to help in some way.

Truth is, in virtually any other application, full ceramics are only used where magnetic properties cause issues. Its all gimmicks really.

However for your rusted bearings, just keep using them and oiled/cleaned. They'll come around, maybe not 100% but itll be close after the raceways polish back up.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 03:34 PM   #17
kentek

Default 10,000 miles

I have roughly 10K miles on my abec 5 bones. They seem to get faster. I clean 2X in charcoal lighter and WD40 then use a few drops of synthetic gun oil.

I think the charcoal lighter has a bit of paraffin that seems to help especially if they get wet.
I think they are fast but nothing to compare with.
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 04:01 PM   #18
sxevegan

Quote:
I wrecked my wife's bearings.

Well, maybe...maybe not.

I was just skating in Melbourne (Florida) in the rain. I thought I had my Twincam mx2 bearings in my wife's 105mm wheels... but it turns out I was mistaken and I hadn't swapped her training bearings for my 'spring time' mr2's a month ago as I had thought.

Anyway... I was doing laps yesterday AM, skating the A1A trail from Sebastian Inlet southward and it rained the whole last lap. "No Problem" I thought, I've got double sealed bearings. After the laps I went back to the hotel, showered, threw my stuff in the suitcase, had breakfast, met up with my co-workers and hopped on the flight home.

So, today I unpack and find all my wheels locked up! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! mr2 aren't supposed to do this!!!

Well, DUH. I'd swapped my mr2's into a different set of her 105 wheels.

So... I've been madly working on cleaning up her training bearings before she gets home from running some errands. Her bearings are drying out right now.

I would put your bearings in her skates. Then, buy her new bearings and present them to her as a present. You bought her bearings because you love her so much. Then put them in her skates and move your old bearings that were in her wheels back to your skates. She feels special, and you got your bearings back.

Regarding the side topic here, I'm of the belief that bearing quality makes very little difference (not noticeable to me). I set my PR at my local 10 mile loop on wheels with old and cheap Adam's Inline abec-5 (i think, maybe 3 or 7) bearings that are filled with waterproof grease. I've never been faster with any other bearings I've tried. I experimented with a few different types of lube this year for my training bearings. Grease seemed to keep them the most quiet for the longest, and I didn't see any dip in my times/performance. For my race bearings, I've been using some bont swiss. They don't feel faster, but since I already have them, they have low miles, and are in my race wheels, I use them. I don't think they are any faster than my greased training bearings though.
sxevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 07:57 PM   #19
cass38a

Absolutely agree with Rob. Greased bearings are the way to go for training. I have an expensive set of race bearings that use oil and to tell the truth I can't tell the difference from my el cheapo greased ones.

The only reason I persist with oiling the race bearings is that if I miss a pb by a hundreth of a second I want no excuses.

Have the bearings cleaned up?
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #20
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
Have the bearings cleaned up?
whether they've been restored or not is completely irrelevant.

On any number of bearing threads it is very predictable who will chime in with specific perspectives about lubrication or 'speed'. I'm tired of hearing that.

The thread is about personal relationships in sports. My ruining my wife's bearings was the vehicle for opening the discussion.