S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 17th, 2015, 01:38 AM   #41
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Anyone ever try Atom Boom outdoor wheels indoors? Maybe the XF or XXF? If so, how did they do?
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #42
bnumerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Anyone ever try Atom Boom outdoor wheels indoors? Maybe the XF or XXF? If so, how did they do?
They're one of the more versatile outdoor wheels so I'd imagine they'd do ok for awhile at least.
bnumerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 03:13 PM   #43
JandKLarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Yes. They work well on our worn concrete floor indoors. The XFs.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #44
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I currently run a 10 year old set of MPC Black track wheels, and they do fairly well. (our floor is slippery, no matter what you use) I get the feeling that any dual-core wheel in Extra-Firm will probably do the trick.

I'm still debating whether to wait a month for the new 3x125mm frames to make they way to market and then swap. However, the 125mm wheel market is very slim. I'd hate to have to wait another 6 months for a good selection of 125mm wheels.
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #45
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Well, the Black Magic wheels aren't like they're predecessors. Since the innder core band is harder than the the old Black Tracks, it makes the wheel a little less grippy.

I now have great practice wheel for grippy floors, but now my search for a slippery floor wheel continues.

Next up looks to be WCW wheels, but wondering which of these 3 would be the best:

WRW Truth 87A: http://www.pinnacleracing.com/trouwh.html

WRW Purple (durometer?): http://www.pinnacleracing.com/wrwpuou.html

WRW Track 85A: http://www.pinnacleracing.com/wrw85atrcl.html
Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:40 PM   #46
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Well, after some practice time on both the older Truth 85a and Purple 87a wheels, I can say that I really like WRW wheels.

The really slippery floor that I skate was virtually unskatable (not really a word, but you get this gist). It was like trying to inline skate on ice.

The WRW Truth 85a wheels were just the thing for that floor. They had decent grip, but were a little spongy. (This was with 3x110mm WRW Truth 85a and 1x100mm 87a WRW purple)

I then tried that same setup on a floor with a little more grip and they worked nicely, but they didn't have the roll that I would've liked. Being 210 pounds does have its disadvantages.

Then I tried using a full set of WRW 87a purples and this was just the thing for the slightly slippery floor. Plenty of grip and plenty of roll. I'm going to save the Truth 85a wheels for outdoors or the really slippery floor.

And you really can't beat the price. The Truth 85a were $75 for 8x110mm and the purples were $100 for a set of 8x110mm or 100mm. Much better than the $22 per wheel for Matter G13 wheels.
Old September 14th, 2015, 12:39 PM   #47
cass38a

Atom Spider Traction..........any reviews. Even the Atom website does not say anything about them.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #48
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
Atom Spider Traction..........any reviews. Even the Atom website does not say anything about them.
Depends on your speed and weight. A group I know in Chicago really liked them initially, but the wheels degraded pretty rapidly. The lifespan was only a fraction of the other wheels they tended to use. The group consists of average size 14-16 year olds running sub-10 second laps.

Another user (chuckboucher?) on here has said they are great, but has admitted to going a tad slower than that.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #49
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
Another user (chuckboucher?) on here has said they are great, but has admitted to going a tad slower than that.
I have changed my tune a little since my original review. I still stand by the fact that they grip well, but you lose some roll as a result (typical for a grippy wheel).

What I don't like about them is the vibration that they have. I have the same issue with a set of Matrix Plus that I use outdoors. Yeah, it may be hub-related, but I'm not sending the set back.

What I do is run a 50/50 set of Spyder Traction and WRW Purple Truth and the combination of grip and roll is great and the vibration is reduced significantly.
Old September 15th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #50
cass38a

Any comparison to blue sub 7 wheel's. You can't get WRW wheels over here
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:21 PM   #51
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Never skated on the Sub 7.
Old September 15th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #52
usask8er1
Matt

Quote:
Dont worry 11 months out of the year you cant get WRWs here either lol.
usask8er1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #53
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Other than the purples, has anyone ever try any of the outdoor WRW Truth wheels indoors? If so, how were the results? Were they better/worse than the purples?

I currently skate 2 different floors. For one, the purples are the ideal wheel. However, they do seem to be wearing quickly and since they're getting harder to find now, I may need to find a substitute.

The other floor is a little more slippery and I am currently running a set of X-Firm MPC Black Magic wheels. They're ok, but still slip a little.

I'm thinking of trying the WRW Truth outdoor X-Firm. The purples are supposedly an 87a wheel and so are the X-Firm Truth (natural color).
Old October 28th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #54
reely?

Matter outdoor 125s are awesome on a slick indoor floor.

Spring, TX.
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 03:25 AM   #55
fuss

Yes they are. I made the switch a few weeks ago to 125's and went with F0 outdoor Matters for indoor, they are very good for me so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reely? View Post
Matter outdoor 125s are awesome on a slick indoor floor.
fuss is offline   Reply With Quote