S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old November 7th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #1
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Default anything around Melbourne, Florida?

I'm going to be in Melbourne, Florida for a week and I'm wondering if there are any outdoor trails in the area suitable for speed. I'd be Ok doing some indoor also... but I'm really an outdoor guy.
Old November 8th, 2015, 07:53 PM   #2
gsloop

Default A possibility

Seminole Wekiva Trail
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
28.665444, -81.411876

I'd assume you're flying into Orlando - Melborne is like 1.5H away - but you could do it on your way by.

http://www.traillink.com/trail/semin...iva-trail.aspx

This is really a pretty nice trail - pretty, quiet, good pavement, nice people on the trail, etc. [Though this time of year, there will likely be quite a lot of debris on the trail - mini acorns, little twigs and sticks, leaves. If it's wet, it gets interesting quick.] The whole trail is something like 25-30mi, to the far end and back.

I have family that just happens to live within 10 minutes of the trail-head and so I've skated there quite a number of times. The pavement is good, except in the "middle." [The last time I skated the whole thing - I ended up hanging with some cyclists and we cut through the development N of W Lake Mary Blvd - instead of winding along International Parkway. [Right here: 8.757010, -81.370613. I think it's about 15m round-trip to this point - so a nice cruise.]

My experience skating in FL on the road is mixed. Some of the slow frontage roads along the beach aren't too bad, and the drivers aren't too abusive. But it's hard to get in very many miles that way. Trails are your best bet.

Oh, if you do do the trail I've recommended - don't leave your stuff visible in the car. I've seen a few break-ins. [Or park somewhere other than the trail-head. It would also be pretty easy to park at a store up the street a few blocks and skate down to the trail-head. You'll see what I mean if you street-view it, or just look around when you drive in.]

-Greg
Old November 8th, 2015, 10:39 PM   #3
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Thanks for the info, Greg. My team (work) is in/out of Melbourne International since our local facility is right on the edge of it. We're going to be quite busy and I need to stay fairly close. We'll be staying at hotel on beach, so I'm thinking I may take A1A south and get on the A1A trail at the Sebastian Inlet State Park.

So... any other thoughts for in/around Melbourne if I cannot get away to A1A ?
Old November 9th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #4
gsloop

Default Looks lousy

Street view appears to show it's just a sidewalk. [3-4' wide - so it's going to suck for speed skates, IMO.]

...and I wouldn't be surprised to have it border the road in places - along with the attendant road-garbage, ugly gravel/rover rock etc. [I've done these in Florida too.]

I don't want to be a downer - but it doesn't look good to me. I'd look for something else - rural and two-lane without a lot of traffic. I'll do these, and simply cross over, back-and-forth, to avoid the occasional car. [i.e. If traffic is coming "with" me, I cross over and skate against traffic flow, and then back once they've gone past.] I always wear a bike LED flashing light in these situations too.

Good luck. It certainly will be a lot warmer than you're used to in November/Dec.

-Greg