S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:05 AM   #1
Chilli Jam

Default Arius Platinum vs Wheels

Hi everyone, just received my new skates a few days ago. Moxi Lolly boots in purple (taffy) mounted on Arius Platinum plates. I wanted to try dance boots, a new type of plate and have some fun!

They skated well on my first trial with some old Atom Juke wheels from my derby days, the ones with faux metal rims and plastic hubs (version 2s?). Then I tried my Atom Venom wheels and the skates were a bit jerky. Weird. I changed to Aussie Scott Super Enforcers... a weird metallic rubbing sound? So, I swapped to Moxi outdoor wheels and they hardly turned. What the???

It seems Arius trucks do not have quite enough plastic(?) lip where the axles stick out from the trucks. The wheels are rubbing against the trucks. The only wheels I tried which were okay were the Atom Jukes and that's because they have a generous wide/high hub. The Aussie Scotts have a clip on the inside edge of the wheel and that rubs on the truck as well.

I took the skates back to my local skate shop, Extreme Skates, and skate expert Tom had the answer... one tiny little washer on each axle gave the wheels just enough clearance from the trucks. Problem solved. Easily. But why didn't the manufacturers check this detail before release? Photos to follow.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:06 AM   #2
Chilli Jam

Arius vs Atom Venom - left side with a washer
Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:08 AM   #3
Chilli Jam

Arius vs Atom Venom - right side without a washer
Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:09 AM   #4
Chilli Jam

Arius vs Moxi - left side with washer, right side without
Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:10 AM   #5
Chilli Jam

Arius vs Super Enforcers - left side with washer, right side without
Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:11 AM   #6
Chilli Jam

Arius vs Atom Jukes - left side with washer, right side without (but there's just enough clearance anyway)
Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:12 AM   #7
Chilli Jam

The Answer? ... little tiny washers!
Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:13 AM   #8
Chilli Jam

Sorry if the photos are not up to standard. I only have an iPhone 5S.
If it weren't for SEDS, I'd probably have a new iPhone by now

Last edited by Chilli Jam; January 23rd, 2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: ... and a new car... extra eye-roll
Chilli Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:28 AM   #9
HeBeGB

The drawback with washers for spacing on Arius is that it tends to put the outside bearing on the thread (smaller diameter than axle). This is what limits the wheels best to use for Arius.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:31 AM   #10
Chilli Jam

Hi HeBeGB, I suppose I'm asking can anyone think of a better solution.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:34 AM   #11
Chilli Jam

I do understand what you are telling me. Looking at my skate wheel nuts... there does look like there's enough thread left on each one. I can see about one and a half threads still. Enough to hold the wheel in place safely, I would hope
Old January 24th, 2019, 06:16 PM   #12
HeBeGB

Without modifying actual truck hardware, you have found the best solution readily available.
Old February 4th, 2019, 03:44 AM   #13
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

The problem with fanjet wheels is that they are not often flush(well they're never really flush, but some truck side bores are deeper than others) on the inside bearing. This extra depth causes issues on Arius trucks. There are quite a few wheels which have that issue. They are not truly "side set".

Wheels that do work 100%
Rollerbones turbos. They have a typical bearing seat width of .280, and their hub pushes the wheel slightly away from the truck, and the bearings are truly side set. Also since the width between bearings is smaller, the outer bearing sits on the 7.94 OD part of the axle shaft, and is not pushed into the 7.3-7.5mm OD hardly at all.

There's a LOT that people don't know about arius plates.

I got all the info you could ever want about those plates, how to set them up etc. There is a HUGE difference between a proper setup and as one would think to assemble them.

I have a product made specially for arius plates you may be interested in. They protect your plates from damage.
Old February 4th, 2019, 11:56 PM   #14
fierocious1

Default Mort is the guy!

That knows Arius plates... he has been working on them for a long time.
Old February 6th, 2019, 09:18 PM   #15
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

Roll-Line wheels have offset on the inside to avoid this problem.
Old February 6th, 2019, 11:29 PM   #16
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Jam View Post
Sorry if the photos are not up to standard.
Since the photos are apparently posted on site and not as directed I can't see them. I'd imagine many others can't either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Jam View Post
Hi HeBeGB, I suppose I'm asking can anyone think of a better solution.
If you need to space the inner bearing out to avoid interference withe the truck so much that the outer bearing gets in the threaded area of the axle then the bearing spacer distance needs to be reduced. On a three piece wheel this is easy if you have a lathe. Chuck the hub up outside facing the bed, tool up a boring device and carefully increase the depth of the outer bearing seat.

Lacking a lathe or on single piece wheels you can do this with a drill press, a rotary file and a spacer. This is the basic setup:

1. Adjust depth of cut on the first wheel with the spacer in place and lock the drill press quill.

2. Gently and carefully follow the existing bearing bore to remove material to the desired depth.

3. Remove the spacer (wooden block in the photo), place the next wheel and repeat step 2 for all the other wheels.

Old February 8th, 2019, 05:14 AM   #17
Chilli Jam

[QUOTE=Mort;735986]
Wheels that do work 100%
Rollerbones turbos. They have a typical bearing seat width of .280, and their hub pushes the wheel slightly away from the truck, and the bearings are truly side set. Also since the width between bearings is smaller, the outer bearing sits on the 7.94 OD part of the axle shaft, and is not pushed into the 7.3-7.5mm OD hardly at all.[QUOTE=Mort;735986]

Hi Mort, yes, thank you, Rollerbones Turbos do indeed fit the Arius perfectly.
I had a set in my skate toolbox. Plenty of room for the truck.
I'll use them and the Atom Jukes from now on. Cheers.
Old February 8th, 2019, 05:17 AM   #18
Chilli Jam

Default testing...

Oh, I added the photos the way I always have, but something must have changed.
I uploaded my pix onto this website and then copied the picture [/IMG],
but that's not correct according to the instructions it is a GIF or JPG
So, no-one can see my photos, except me?
Old February 8th, 2019, 07:29 AM   #19
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

This first link is what will happen to your arius plates after some use. They will wear out.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00000401564970.

I have a fix for all this. It takes some preparation to get a plate setup right, but the feedback, response and performance is great. Additionally, you won't need to replace anything. If you look through some of the links on my Facebook posts there is a picture of my truck where the axis bore is down to the bare aluminum all the way through it.

All this can be prevented by using loctite and shims. I have a set of laser cut shims on their way. They are .005" thick. They fit all the arius plates. They go in between the plate and the trucks so the plate is protected. The other advantage is they remove some of the play from the assembly. This means sharper and more accurate turning.

https://m.facebook.com/marshall.mort...3D&mdp=1&mdf=1

This second link is me setting up my friends plate. We modified the trucks, the axis pin sleeves are made of oilite bronze and press fit(one solid unmovable part) to the truck. The shims get a very light coating of loctite 609 between them and the baseplate. The loctite 243 holds the axis pin in.

The axis pin is indexed. This let's me know where the axis pin bottoms out, and where tightening the pin any more would start to cause deflection to the baseplate. With the alignment Mark's in place , when I assemble the parts, I know exactly where the bolt needs tightened to. Minimal torque is best. The only problem I have found is the loctite does not hold well to anodized aluminum. So I had to get it off the threads in the plate, and the pot where the axis pin rests. Loctite goes in those spots ( a small amount on the bolt head). This gives maximum retention

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql...Y3Mjc3NjM5OTc0

This 3rd link you can see an arius baseplate with slight wear. This plate had never been protected by shims and has about 1 year of siting on it. Probably about 100 sessions, so roughly 250 hours of skating. If you look closely you will notice that is a platinum baseplate, you can see the reinforced toe stop area.. BUT it's red like the original

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql...EzOTQ3NzkxOTc3

This 4th link shows my original plate after 2.5 years of use(about 700 hours of skating I'd guess). The baseplate is pictured in the first link in this post. It has deep wear into it where the axis pin sleeves pivoted on the plate. And likewise the trucks get the same wear when the truck pivots on the sleeves instead.

The solution to keep the trucks from wearing out is to use loctite between the trucks and the axis pin sleeves. This makes them a solid unit like my press fit sleeves. Just without the 100$ price tag lol.

You can probably just use blue loctite on it. I used green609 on my friends platinum trucks.

However, if you do this you MUST have shims. Because the trucks hold the sleeves in place and they pivot on the baseplate. Without the shims there the baseplate will get worn/damaged. The shims will last for probably 3 years or more before needing replaced. I dont know how long the plastic will last. Maybe 2 years?

If you are interested in shims and modifications to make your plate perform better, as well as last a long time let me know.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...20755327947851

The 5th link is a picture of just the shims
Old February 13th, 2019, 01:29 AM   #20
Chilli Jam

Default Thanks

Hi Mort and Wired, thank you both so much for your helpful feedback and expert information dealing with the Arius Plates limitations.

I realise now, I am owner of plates which are not as versatile as I expected. The other three pairs of skates I own do not have this issue. I only weigh about 115 pound (53kilos), so hopefully won't wear out the base-plates too quickly - fingers crossed. The action takes some getting used to. I find maneuvering easier with Arius, than with my old Reactor plates. Great plates, I am really enjoying them!

So, I'll just keep using the little washers. It is disappointing that I, the consumer, would have to modify my wheels in order to properly use most of the sets I own. Just saying...