S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old January 15th, 2019, 02:14 AM   #1
Dec8rSk8r

Default Has anyone checked out the /Roller skating forum on Reddit?

It's all Moxi Lolly this, and Moxi Lolly that. They are these colorful art skates made out of suede with crap plates. Kids today...

Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2019, 02:22 AM   #2
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Well, they look nice, folks see other folks skating them, they are on display at my regular rink. Without any other guidance, sure, folks will keep getting them.
Old January 15th, 2019, 06:31 PM   #3
Dec8rSk8r

You think those look nice huh? They aren't cute to me at all, too retro looking.
Old January 15th, 2019, 11:23 PM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
You think those look nice huh? They aren't cute to me at all, too retro looking.
Sure. They look nice. You have the benefit of knowledge and experience that first time buyers don't. They are somewhat like rentals, but they know they will be better. Not all old and stretched out. I mean, the ladies are all getting these. Pretty popular from what I have seen.
Old January 15th, 2019, 11:58 PM   #5
BigFoot

Derby Warehouse has the Moxi Lolly listed for $280. The Specs says they use PowerDyne nylon plates. Riedell makes the suede leather boot. They also offer a less expensive vinyl boot Moxie called the Beach Bunny. It sells for $150. It uses the aluminum PowerDyne Marvel Plate.

I can't say how they perform, but maybe priced a little on the high side. It would be a better value if you could buy them during a sale. They are marketed as casual, fun skates for women. So yeah, they seem to fit that description.

What Moxie is good at - maybe even best at - is color and style. I visited their flagship store in Long Beach, CA. Wowie kazowie, sunglasses required. Bright colors and wild patterns galore. Everything is loud - boots, laces, pom-poms, wheels, accessories, all sorts of eye candy for skaters, and friendly staff, too.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 01:51 AM   #6
Dec8rSk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Derby Warehouse has the Moxi Lolly listed for $280. The Specs says they use PowerDyne nylon plates. Riedell makes the suede leather boot. They also offer a less expensive vinyl boot Moxie called the Beach Bunny. It sells for $150. It uses the aluminum PowerDyne Marvel Plate.

I can't say how they perform, but maybe priced a little on the high side. It would be a better value if you could buy them during a sale. They are marketed as casual, fun skates for women. So yeah, they seem to fit that description.

What Moxie is good at - maybe even best at - is color and style. I visited their flagship store in Long Beach, CA. Wowie kazowie, sunglasses required. Bright colors and wild patterns galore. Everything is loud - boots, laces, pom-poms, wheels, accessories, all sorts of eye candy for skaters, and friendly staff, too.
They are pretty good at marketing too in my opinion. I did some digging and Riedell makes these. Whatever gets people on skates is a good thing I guess. God knows I started back on an art boot.
Old January 16th, 2019, 06:26 AM   #7
jbgerman

Good marketing. It is not about the skates. You join a "Moxi community".

See this NYT article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/26/s...er-skates.html

Roller skates as an accessory to express a lifestyle and an attitude.

I heard that Moxi brings a good part of Riedell's roller skating business revenues.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 09:35 PM   #8
Dec8rSk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post
Good marketing. It is not about the skates. You join a "Moxi community".

See this NYT article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/26/s...er-skates.html

Roller skates as an accessory to express a lifestyle and an attitude.

I heard that Moxi brings a good part of Riedell's roller skating business revenues.
I guess I am glad Riedell is the company profiting off these mid-level skates rather than some company taking away their business.
Old January 16th, 2019, 09:54 PM   #9
jotson

There's probably a dozen or so Moxi at the local rink adult night. Definitely gaining in popularity. I agree they are overpriced for what you get, but it's good to see them making a skating commitment. Always best to have your own skates so you don't spend half the session getting used to the different rentals each week. Probably better than the vinyl Chicago skates anyway.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 01:29 AM   #10
Dec8rSk8r

I believe the "beach" version of the Moxi is vinyl. Yeah, it's always good to see the sport grow.
Old January 18th, 2019, 12:56 AM   #11
Chilli Jam

Cool Why fly to Mars when you can fly down the street with friends?

Hey everyone,

I had only ever skated those high-heeled tan dance rental skates from the rink when I was a young rink-rat in the seventies. I quickly graduated to short-forward black speed skates with white stripes in my early teens, which is also now a retro look. Currently, I own three sets of quads, all with no heel: my well-worn Derby Riedells with Reactors, Outdoor Bonts with Invader DA-45s, and short-forward Speed Bonts with new Boens (which I haven't skated much).

A month ago, I was in the local skate shop, Extreme Skates, and the owner had her Moxi Lollys in the store, in my size too. So, out of curiosity I tried them on. Really comfortable suede boots. Easy to skate in. I found I could actually shoot the duck, which is not a thing I can usually do without a friend to push me. So, I've ordered some Moxi Lolly boots in purple (taffy) and will have them mounted onto the new Arius Platinum plates & some purple Luminous LED 85A wheels When I finally get them on my feet and roll them for a bit, I'll report back with my personal (non-technical) experiences skating these Moxis.

(edit: while I was in the skate shop, a 14 year-old girl asked me what type of skates she should get: blades or quads. I suggested she try out both kinds, as only she will know for sure. After which she settled on quads. Then she asked which me kind of quads, the flat or heeled kind? She isn't joining roller derby, just skating along footpaths and rinks. I suggested she also try on the owner's Moxi skates. She was thrilled with them and loved the look, too.)

I do understand why Moxi has taken off. Looking at the fashion, Moxi harks back to more carefree times in the seventies. A time before all the current world dramas and end-of-humankind-as-we-know-it scenarios. Why fly to Mars when you can fly down the street with your friends? It's a much cheaper option. Just remember to wear protection. There are lots of girls and guys skating Moxis at our local Skatefit exercise sessions. Something about wearing colourful skates which have people acting more friendly. A look less intimidating than warrior derby. A bit of colour and fun never hurt anyone.
Old January 18th, 2019, 01:28 AM   #12
Dec8rSk8r

These aren't Moxi's, but are probably similar to their beach version, which are also vinyl. You get what you pay for when you cheap out on boots. But I am glad if colorful skates make people happy.

Old January 18th, 2019, 01:48 AM   #13
Chilli Jam

They're not Moxi Beach skates, but I get your point. Moxi Lolly's suede is tougher.
I always wear toe-guard caps on my outdoor skates, so this won't happen to mine.
Old January 18th, 2019, 01:56 AM   #14
Dec8rSk8r

Moxi has a suede and a vinyl version. https://moxiskates.com/products/beac...iwinkle-sunset

The boot I showed was this - https://impalarollerskates.com/colle...SADEgKX5PD_BwE

My point was about durability and vinyl boots. I am sure the suede will hold up better than vinyl.

Last edited by Dec8rSk8r; January 18th, 2019 at 11:04 AM. Reason: jumping the gun
Old January 18th, 2019, 01:58 AM   #15
Chilli Jam

Ooops, sorry, I edited before I saw your reply

Last edited by Chilli Jam; January 19th, 2019 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Thanks for your patience Dec8rSk8r
Chilli Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 04:20 AM   #16
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

I had a real nice pair of suede high boot skates I got in '80. Paid either $30 or $35 for them. NICE quality suede. Soft, supple, you could get the boot top to hug your foot nicely. I think the whole skate was a sure grip, as I think back, it had that plate with the fixed toe stop. I can't remember the name right now. And it had something that few skates had at the rinks I skated. Precision bearings. All you old time speed folk probably don't think that is a big deal for that time frame, but I remember a lot of skates still had loose balls, and my quiet skates were a thing for a lot of people. Especially at my rink that I was taking lessons at through the local college. I was the only guy with skates. I'd usually get there early and be first on the floor. So there I go, silently gliding along. Then when everyone else got on the floor, it was like a thundering herd.

Funny, I kind of remember where the place was. It was in downtown LA, and it was a skate outlet. I remember going up a ramp to the modest parking lot, and the store was on the same level. But I can't remember at all what the inside looked like.
Old January 18th, 2019, 05:54 AM   #17
PRFunky

I don't for-sure know if this is true or not but I've been told that
this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR17n0u3U-Q
is the owner of Moxi

Anyhow, here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where we have no palm
trees, I skate outdoors but not right now during winter. Some of
the girls I skate with have the Moxi skates and they love 'em.
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 07:16 AM   #18
jbgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRFunky View Post
this:
is the owner of Moxi
No, Moxi was "invented" by Michelle Steilen, produced by Riedell. Riedell owns Moxi. Good marketing. e.g. Everybody thought, that Antik boots was owned by Mo Sanders "Quadzilla", but it was and is a Riedell business unit.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 07:52 AM   #19
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRFunky View Post
this:
is the owner of Moxi

Anyhow, here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where we have no palm
trees, I skate outdoors but not right now during winter. Some of
the girls I skate with have the Moxi skates and they love 'em.
EstroGen? (Michelle Stellen) I know she sold and promoted them out of her Long Beach shop. And sold lots. I kind of lean toward no, but I might be wrong.

I got to bang with her, no, not THAT bang, but derby bang, on a few occasions. Another old guy like me was doing some scrimmages with the OC girls. His wife was in that league. I had plenty of skating skills, but I had a hell of a time going fast all the time. No cardio. Estro was not in OC derby at that time, or any time back then, but was in her Long Beach league before it folded. Anyway, I developed one unusually good skill in my time there. If I got a hip on someone, it was virtually impossible for them to get away. A couple of things contributed to this. My years spent playing basketball and having good blocking out skills, and the 2nd was having DA45 skates and knowing how to use them against all of the 10 degree skaters.

I did a writeup of this ages ago, but, why not a new one. Say I have someone on my right hip. With DA45, I could say turn both feet (toes) into the skater, and push, and this push would be toward the rear. The amount of turn from the 45 was more than the 10, giving me an advantage. The 10 degree skater could not counter this without lifting one foot at least, or sometimes two to re-position them to get leverage. So picture me, with both feet planted, pushing through my hip, and the other skater needs to shuffle their feet to push me back. So while they are shuffling, I have a great advantage. So now, their feet are in position to push against me. I change my angle of push. Now both of my heels are toward the other skater and I am pushing them in a forward/sideways direction. They JUST got their feet in position to work against my backward push, and I have changed the game and I'm now pushing them sideways and forwardish. Once again, their feet are completely out of position to get any kind of leverage against me. They can't just turn their skates. The 10 degree just can't match the 45, and the 45's never need to leave the ground. Both of my feet are always on the ground. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. I would switch back and forth quickly, that they essentially NEVER were in good balance, nor could the mount any kind of push against me. I easily had complete command of the other player. I could even drop them on command. I push back, forward, back, forward, back, and then on the next forward, dip down and give a push and lift, and bam. Butt meet ground.

Now EstroGen is Hella strong. Just watch that skating vid and the stuff she does. I was able to hold her 3 times, and she got away on the 4th. Her first push was easy to control. I think she was surprised she did not get away easily. Then the second push. Nope. On the 3rd go round, she was able to create a little space, and then on the 4th time she whacked the hell out of my hip, created enough space, and was able to use those strong legs to get ahead before I could get to her. Now most people could not hold her at all. She just man handled them and got by. (girl handled?) So my one claim to fame in derby was my being able to hold her on my hip longer than I ever saw anyone else do.

Wow. Back in the day. 2012.

Nobody else ever got away except this one clever, and pretty cute, beginner girl. This was a beginner level jam. I got this girl on my hip, did my thing, mildly, but clearly, I had her under complete control. Then she surprised me with her move. She quickly put a knee down and I rolled by. I was like, WHAT?
Such a SNEAK!
Old January 18th, 2019, 11:51 PM   #20
Chilli Jam

Hi rufusprime99, thanks for sharing such a wonderful write-up of your experiences in derby and skating. Oh, to be on the sidelines watching your hip-check battles Michelle Stellen comes across in You Tube videos as being very sociable and fun-loving, with a sharp marketing intelligence. I now understand that she's a tough cookie, strong as well. Qualities needed to be successful in business and derby alike.

I'd never thought about the 10 vs 45 degrees plates affecting derby moves, but it makes perfect sense when you explain it so well. I started derby (2009) with the wrong kind of plates, Sure Grip single action 45s. Speed plates of all things! I just didn't know any better and they were all I owned at the time. They were okay to skate derby until I loosened up the truck action too much and, while doing a plough-stop, twisted one knee outwards very badly. Crunch!

Your memories of owning suede high tops with precision bearings (!) reminded me of when there were two nuts for each wheel: the bearing nut and lock nut. Until you mentioned it, I'd forgotten that loose bearings were noisy. Dad taught me how to remove and clean my bearings in petrol, then use motor oil. I had the same set of bearings throughout my teens. I always checked my wheel nuts before each session, because if you didn't get them screwed on right?... the whole rink would have to stop skating while the released bearings were found and collected off the floor. It was a tough-cookie rink, with a few bullies, so you didn't want to stand out for the wrong reason Most embarrassing.