S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old January 19th, 2019, 12:35 AM   #21
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Jam View Post
Hi rufusprime99, thanks for sharing such a wonderful write-up of your experiences in derby and skating. Oh, to be on the sidelines watching your hip-check battles Michelle Stellen comes across in You Tube videos as being very sociable and fun-loving, with a sharp marketing intelligence. I now understand that she's a tough cookie, strong as well. Qualities needed to be successful in business and derby alike.
Yeah, I gotta say, Estro was pretty awesome. One of those special people. Friendly very social, always active with derby, her business, teaching kids to skate at the youth center, or some kind of special event. Whenever she would show up to a session skate, she'd have a gang of her girls in tow. And on the physical side, very strong. Legs, butt, all muscle. Strong and tough... great personality, fun to be around.
Old January 19th, 2019, 02:23 AM   #22
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Jam View Post
I'd never thought about the 10 vs 45 degrees plates affecting derby moves, but it makes perfect sense when you explain it so well. I started derby (2009) with the wrong kind of plates, Sure Grip single action 45s. Speed plates of all things! I just didn't know any better and they were all I owned at the time. They were okay to skate derby until I loosened up the truck action too much and, while doing a plough-stop, twisted one knee outwards very badly. Crunch!

Ouch. Hope that healed up well. Yeah, once I got on 45's and took to them so well, my head was all wrapped up in examining the differences. You take off a bit more slowly than a 10, they have a better quicker bite, but they slay when it comes to turning in on an opponent to lay your body on them.

Your memories of owning suede high tops with precision bearings (!) reminded me of when there were two nuts for each wheel: the bearing nut and lock nut. Until you mentioned it, I'd forgotten that loose bearings were noisy. Dad taught me how to remove and clean my bearings in petrol, then use motor oil. I had the same set of bearings throughout my teens. I always checked my wheel nuts before each session, because if you didn't get them screwed on right?... the whole rink would have to stop skating while the released bearings were found and collected off the floor. It was a tough-cookie rink, with a few bullies, so you didn't want to stand out for the wrong reason Most embarrassing.
The only loose ball skates I had were an old metal wheel skateboard. By the time I got my first urethane skateboard in '77, it had precision bearings, as did my 2nd skateboard. A wood board that I bought at Sav-On drug store, of all places.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 07:51 AM   #23
Chilli Jam

I searched the forum and didn't find a thread for Arius Platinum plate vs various wheels... please tell me if I am incorrect, cheers. Starting a new thread...

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...866#post735866
Old January 30th, 2019, 07:37 AM   #24
Oicusk82huh

In response to Moxi's...
At my local rink, there are some folks that want cute skates, so they end up with these garbage skates called something like Candy skates. I've noticed that they usually end up trashing these skates pretty fast. The people I've seen show up in Moxi's always appear really happy with them. They say they have almost no break-in period and are very comfortable (and they are super cute).

We've already discussed Estro-gen, and she's amazing! I'm sure she skates HARD, so they have to be pretty durable. I saw someone last Friday with a Roll Line plate on her Moxi's. She was an incredible and hard skater. I'd say they get a pass.

I got my Riedells customized with colorful suede. I can't say I wasn't influence by how nice those Moxi's look. I'm not a fan of nylon plates, but because I've never skated on them, I can't really bad-mouth them.

About that NY Times article, it was amazing. Only thing is, all of those skaters skate on high end art boots, not on the sparkly skates that they had to wear on the runway. Only one of them was allowed to wear her own skates. Still it's good to see skating being promoted. Thumbs way up.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 03:49 AM   #25
Joey

Anything that gets/keeps people skating is OK by me. Most amateur skater people I see skating at the park aren't interested in skating more than one or two miles anyway. They should be fine for "being seen" at the park for half an hour.

Perhaps a small number of those folks will take to skating and get better gear.