S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old December 18th, 2018, 02:49 PM   #1
kentek

Default Is this website still alive?

No new posts that I can see for weeks or months..
Merry Christmas anyway,
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2018, 04:35 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

It's winter. People are busy posting about everything but skating.

Social media seems to have also taken over as the media of choice.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2018, 01:53 PM   #3
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

tired of the political crap posted on this fourm.
I come here for skate information, not everything else.
seldom come here anymore.
Old December 19th, 2018, 02:14 PM   #4
AZSHOT

I noticed that too about a year ago. I know I quit coming here then. Just checked "new posts" and only 5 out of 25 of the most recent are on skating topics. The rest....politics.

I've seen this with most other hobby forums: eventually those that are always online and very dedicated will be answering and posting 98% of everything. If a newbie posts a question, they will answer quickly. If a newbie tries to answer, they try to dismiss or debate so they can remain "forum king." It's why people are going to social media/facebook more.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2018, 04:38 PM   #5
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpinball View Post
tired of the political crap posted on this fourm.
I come here for skate information, not everything else.
seldom come here anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
I noticed that too about a year ago. I know I quit coming here then. Just checked "new posts" and only 5 out of 25 of the most recent are on skating topics. The rest....politics.

I've seen this with most other hobby forums: eventually those that are always online and very dedicated will be answering and posting 98% of everything. If a newbie posts a question, they will answer quickly. If a newbie tries to answer, they try to dismiss or debate so they can remain "forum king." It's why people are going to social media/facebook more.
Wholeheartedly agree that there is far too much off-topic sh*t posted and it's the same 3-4 people. I usually get my skate info now from social media and through governing body (USARS/USRSS) communication.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2018, 12:12 AM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

FB has killed it. Such a stupid platform for skate info. You could have someone post some great info, and after a couple of weeks, it is gone, never to be seen again. Well, if people are going to use FB, I guess they get what they all deserve.

On the flip side, this site was always such a pain to get into.

As for the people that don't like the off topic stuff, what a bunch of lazy jerks. Would it kill you to open skatelog, and physically go and check a few of your favorite forums? And when was the last time you created ANY content at all? Waah waah. People are posting in off topic. Yeah. So what?
Old December 21st, 2018, 03:36 AM   #7
Jim

I totally fail to understand the complaints expressed here. What politics? This is the speed skating forum, hardly anyone mentions politics here. If you question that, search the speed skating forum for posts using the keyword "trump". No, seriously do it. I want you to. Then report back here with your findings.

Of the 88,257 posts in this forum, how many contained reference to Donald Trump the politician? (excluding this one)
In all of the forums in all of the world, dedicated to any topic at all, can you find just one that has fewer Trump posts than ours? Probably not, huh.

This forum has helped me far more than all other skating sites on the net combined. That's a fact. Additionally, it's easy to access. One click on a desktop icon and I'm here. By contrast, an FB page takes much longer to load and then it's usually a log in page. Then after I get to the page I want I am bombarded with annoying FB pop-up notifications that are of no interest to me. Then after I close them out, I see a page cluttered with useless junk in the way of what I went there for.

Kathy and Jessica have done an incredible job of administrating this site for a lot of years. Please don't disrespect all of their hard work.

Anyway, this thread is about Xmas so have a great one everybody, followed by another great year of skating!
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2018, 07:44 PM   #8
skaterdog

Too much off topic political whining for me.
Old December 24th, 2018, 01:35 AM   #9
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
Too much off topic political whining for me.
Too much whining from stupid people whining about stuff they don't have to look at in the first place.

Ever hear me whine about aggressive skating? No. You know why? I don't read that forum.

All you creampuffs need to do is not read off topic. Problem solved.
Old December 31st, 2018, 05:53 AM   #10
PRFunky

Default I like S k a t e L o g F o r u m

Yah, I never read anything in Off-topic. I figure I'd probably disagree.
I'm not an inline skater so I just hit up the posts where the right side
column reads "Quad-something". Sometimes I look at dance stuff but
it's not me. When reading old posts that had alot of pictures, it's
kindof sad to not be able to see the pictures that were there as I wasn't
in this forum back when they were made. Eventually, I'll add some
more pictures myself.
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2018, 11:25 PM   #11
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRFunky View Post
Yah, I never read anything in Off-topic. I figure I'd probably disagree.
I'm not an inline skater so I just hit up the posts where the right side
column reads "Quad-something". Sometimes I look at dance stuff but
it's not me. When reading old posts that had alot of pictures, it's
kindof sad to not be able to see the pictures that were there as I wasn't
in this forum back when they were made. Eventually, I'll add some
more pictures myself.
There was a picture hosting site, can't even remember the name of it. It went from free to something like $20 a month. Who would pay that when you could put your photos on FB for free? ??
Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:36 AM   #12
Derrick

Default Is this website still alive?

Nope
Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:30 PM   #13
bjvircks
Major Trouble

I'd like to take the position of devil's advocate for a moment here...

There has been a general decline in participation in speedskating events (in the U.S. that I specifically know of, perhaps worldwide but I cannot speak to that aspect)

There has also been a general decline in "online forums" like skatelog.

Is it reasonable to link these declines to 'political discussion'?

Is the decline of activity at Skatelog Forum 'political' or merely the acendencey of the 'next big thing'?
Old January 4th, 2019, 03:45 AM   #14
wyodinosaur

Default Facebook (et al) is to blame

"Is the decline of activity at Skatelog Forum 'political' or merely the acendencey of the 'next big thing'?"

I don't think it's political. I just think more people are on facebook, instagram and such, and it's taking away from this site.

Personally, I don't use facebook, so to me anyway it is a shame.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2019, 05:31 AM   #15
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Face book and photobucket have killed most forums.
The ease of showing 1s life and Facebook hosting pictures.
Photobucket charging a mint to show pics has driven the nail in.
Old January 5th, 2019, 12:15 AM   #16
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Quote:
... If a newbie posts a question, they will answer quickly. If a newbie tries to answer, they try to dismiss or debate so they can remain "forum king."...
"They" of the quote above are the 'contentious old-timers'

How about us 'contentious old-timers' let the new guys answer here so as to not attempt to be "forum King"?
Old January 7th, 2019, 12:35 AM   #17
fierocious1

First of all, if no one posts in any slot available, how does it become the fault of politics? I look every day at the postings throughout SLF and find no new postings. So it is not due to politics...
Second if you don't like politics there are other things to look at but if there are no new posts, it isn't the fault of the open forum section.

I look around here a lot, but less now, due to inactivity in the quads section. FB takes good information and sends it to never land. I believe eventually people will come back, but the instant gratification of buying and selling on FB as well as easier ways to post pics than on a forum has it's merits.

But politics, lots of fun... LOL
Old January 7th, 2019, 12:40 AM   #18
fierocious1

Quote:

If anyone has a question about Quad skates, I will answer to the best of my ability from experience, not theory. I know a little about inlines as well but never got comfortable enough after 2 years straight on them. There is a lot of good knowledge in this forum, so what kind of questions were they? I can only guess that the answers may not have been accurate due to lack of experience?
Old January 7th, 2019, 05:08 PM   #19
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
FB has killed it. Such a stupid platform for skate info. You could have someone post some great info, and after a couple of weeks, it is gone, never to be seen again. Well, if people are going to use FB, I guess they get what they all deserve.

On the flip side, this site was always such a pain to get into.

As for the people that don't like the off topic stuff, what a bunch of lazy jerks. Would it kill you to open skatelog, and physically go and check a few of your favorite forums? And when was the last time you created ANY content at all? Waah waah. People are posting in off topic. Yeah. So what?
Rufus pretty much summed up ALL declining forums. FB is a terrible platform for what we do, but yet it is winning the war. Explain that.
My health has been in turmoil for several years now, so all I do is maintain Southern Skater. I have nothing new to report, so I just keep the garden weeded for visitors to enjoy.

But you wait. Something will change and forums will make a comeback, just like skating does. And when it does, we will complain about all the traffic and all the members who only joined for the social aspect.

But I digress. I sincerely hope Forums come back into prominence because they are such a great, searchable resource.
Old January 8th, 2019, 02:02 AM   #20
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
Rufus pretty much summed up ALL declining forums. FB is a terrible platform for what we do, but yet it is winning the war. Explain that.
Being more approachable sometimes wins over everything else. People are already on Facebook. They have to find Skatelog, thus Facebook wins.

This isn't the first time this has happened. Web boards like this one are mostly inferior to Usenet but Usenet requires learning how to use specific tools (news readers). Web boards grew and Usenet dwindled.

Reddit might be a more worthy successor than Facebook. While not as ubiquitous as Facebook, it is widely known and is one-stop shopping, much like Facebook. Curiously, it has a feel that resembles Usenet.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote