S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old December 6th, 2017, 12:08 PM   #21
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Not handy. Doc likely does.
Thanks
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #22
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
Lloyd, you should check out the Roll Line cushions, if you haven't already. I'm sold on them. They have about 25%-30% more volume. But the trick is finding a truck that they will work with, or that can be modified.

-Austin
What I'm finding is that short cushions cause the ramp up. Good for derby or influencing slides but not good for traction at deeper plate angles. I would have go get some specs and check it out. I haven't used any Roll Line cushions. So far my testing has been about dimensions.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 10:47 PM   #23
fierocious1

Default Put some time in on this project today... :)

Long frames app 8.5 wb. Xl c to c. by fierocious1, on Flickr

Marking plates for lightening holes. Different from my previous plate. More of them!

Almost there!2 by fierocious1, on Flickr

Getting there!

Almost!1 by fierocious1, on Flickr

different angle.

Time to take off corners and edges. I could just glue in the kps and run them.... by fierocious1, on Flickr
Bobbed the ends.

Got cleanup and deburring. Polishing the plates and a good cleaning again. Going to be a strange setup for sure. SA trucks converted to DA, and long frames. 8.5 WB, great for outdoors. Just a few more days to go on these. Got to LOCKTITE in the kingpins. They are pretty light weight too. Would be awesome for someone wearing a 13 + boot.

I looked back a little and saw that I could install locking nuts on the KPs. Then put a 1/4"nylon spacer on top instead of using 2 spacers. However, the lock nuts add weight, more than the spacers. So gluing in will still be the way to go. Also I could add some more cushion in there for another round of handling tests. But got to dial them in soon and see just where the handling is with these. Should not be much different than the skates I'm on now.

Mock up again. Thought I would see how they looked for grins..

Mock up b. by fierocious1, on Flickr

Mock up a. by fierocious1, on Flickr
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:40 PM   #24
fierocious1

Default update 11118

Assembly.

Assembly 1 by fierocious1, on Flickr

Assembly 2 by fierocious1, on Flickr

Kps glued in. Metric mounting bolts pulled from my stock. Buffed and deburred. I know that they could be polished but, it's ok for an experimental setup. I can always revert to DA45 if the SA coversion doesn't work.
Old January 11th, 2018, 09:20 PM   #25
fierocious1

Default Time to test!

A by fierocious1, on Flickr

B by fierocious1, on Flickr

C by fierocious1, on Flickr

D by fierocious1, on Flickr

Skating these SundaY!!
Old January 11th, 2018, 09:26 PM   #26
fierocious1

Default These will most likely

End up with DA45 trucks back on them for the outdoors but I want to use them for now to test these trucks. Thinking they will be fine. Carrying extra shims just in case but should be on target. I have enjoyed building these. I learned a few more things about the holes and countersinking. I had one hole countersink get a little deep because the stop somehow moved but all it good and no pair of skates are perfect that are made by hand. A person would have to have way more time machining to not make mistakes. Mistakes are easily made. I have one more frame to build and it is app 7.5 wb very similar to this skate plate. Don't know when it will happen.

So on to the next project..
Old January 11th, 2018, 10:11 PM   #27
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I gotta try that thing one day. Hit me up
Old January 11th, 2018, 11:01 PM   #28
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I gotta try that thing one day. Hit me up
These are the same length as the SSTs I worked over last year. But the 3/8 hole in my plates are not threaded BSF, so I could work with longer kingpins. These should skate better than the SSTs though, better cushion set up.
Old January 12th, 2018, 02:44 AM   #29
amohrfeld

One day I'll talk you into trying Roll Line cushions.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 03:05 AM   #30
fierocious1

Quote:
One day I'll talk you into trying Roll Line cushions.
Might be able to make them fit This medium pressure with low ramp up works pretty good. Better than the setup you skated on my other pair before. Can't wait til Sunday. Might take them out Saturday for a spin in the park. Got 93 on here now, so it should work. I have some 96s but I hate to tear them up on cement.
Old January 13th, 2018, 03:29 AM   #31
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Might be able to make them fit This medium pressure with low ramp up works pretty good. Better than the setup you skated on my other pair before. Can't wait til Sunday. Might take them out Saturday for a spin in the park. Got 93 on here now, so it should work. I have some 96s but I hate to tear them up on cement.
The Roll Line cushions have a bigger diameter. I was about to set up my Royal trucks on the mill to open up the diameter for the cushion. But once again my company got busy. Being a business owner has its down sides.

In fact I'm giving up on my custom skate projects and just working with off the shelf components. Simply no time.

Speaking of wheels: I keep going back to the Fasters. The way they grip and break loose matches my skating style fairly well.
Old January 13th, 2018, 11:54 AM   #32
fierocious1

Quote:
The Roll Line cushions have a bigger diameter. I was about to set up my Royal trucks on the mill to open up the diameter for the cushion. But once again my company got busy. Being a business owner has its down sides.

In fact I'm giving up on my custom skate projects and just working with off the shelf components. Simply no time.

Speaking of wheels: I keep going back to the Fasters. The way they grip and break loose matches my skating style fairly well.
After looking at the skate parts out there, there are plenty of trucks of different sized, shapes and weights. Basically, a person can choose a truck then design a plate around it. There are so many designs of trucks that one can find what you need that is already out there. Modifying what you have on hand saves a lot of time and aggravation. Trucks are tough to make your self.

Frames still take time but are easier to carve out. There are plates out there for most people. Looking back, I could have done less to the frames make them flexible enough for the tests. One thing I could have done was started with removing the lock nut and gluing in the KP. I just did not where all the testing was going so I worked over the plates more than needed. The other thing is the BSF thread makes you choose a new frame. Most kps or studs that can be bought from industrial supply houses use 3/8 coarse and 3/8 fine. Tapping the old BSF hole is out of the question, so new frames are in order to give me kp options. Options that let me choose all kinds of cushions setups to test. Now that I have the tester for cushions, it is much easier to choose and test the cushions then transfer the findings to the plate.

I like Faster wheels too. They have a lot grip, I have not ran all of their wheels but the Grips I had were the go to wheel for traction for years. The Strides are grippy and a bit harder. A really good wheel. I like Shamans because of long tread life and weight. Right now, custom wheel sets are not on my list of things to get. That money is going into other projects like the wheel/bearing tester. After this piece is done, I'll have to pick another project

That will pretty much round out test equipment for skates. Just time to test is next.
Old January 15th, 2018, 01:27 AM   #33
fierocious1

Default Skated them today.

They did well. Basically I copied my setup from my session skates. I ended up making only one adjustment to the cushion compression for an hour of skating. Then changed back to my session skates because the crowd was thinning out and it was time to crank up some speed.
These skates worked good as is but I think to make a real comparison I should revert back to DA 45 trucks. The SA45conversion trucks did well but the kps are just a hair short to be able to use them well. I wanted to make some more shimming changes but that won't leave much adjustment for compression. I'll probably cut another set of plates out the same length as my session skates so I can really compare them. Also making a new plate will raise the cushion base app 1/4", which will raise the kp the amount needed to extend it the required amount. The KPs are locktited in so I won't be taking them back out of the plates and repositioning them. Just make another pair of plate and be done with it. Then I'll have plenty of KP length to do all the adjustments needed, won't be much to it.
They tracked good, turned ok, cushions were just a tad too tight, just not enough room on the kps. Very stable at speed like on an inline skate.
The boots were comfy, I forgot how well they fit me.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:52 PM   #34
amohrfeld

Quote:
I wanted to make some more shimming changes but that won't leave much adjustment for compression. I'll probably cut another set of plates out the same length as my session skates so I can really compare them. Also making a new plate will raise the cushion base app 1/4", which will raise the kp the amount needed to extend it the required amount.
By just glancing at the plate I would think you want to shim out the truck a little.
Old January 16th, 2018, 02:59 AM   #35
fierocious1

Quote:
By just glancing at the plate I would think you want to shim out the truck a little.
The trucks were squared up nice and worked well from the beginning. I just ran them as is for an hour or so. KPs a bit short for shimming. So new plates needed again. Maybe magnesium this time?
Old January 16th, 2018, 03:29 AM   #36
amohrfeld

Quote:
The trucks were squared up nice and worked well from the beginning. I just ran them as is for an hour or so. KPs a bit short for shimming. So new plates needed again. Maybe magnesium this time?
Stick with 7075. No reason to go to magnesium at this point.
Old January 16th, 2018, 11:37 AM   #37
fierocious1

Quote:
Stick with 7075. No reason to go to magnesium at this point.
I went looking for magnesium drops last night, I guess no one is machining much bar stock. Too high to buy a stick. I still have plenty of 7075 so, that will be the stuff. I still have to remake one plate for the 7.5 plate too.
Got to make a hub for my big wheel next though. The wheel has a metal ring in side the wooden wheel originally to ride loosely on an axle. So I'll make a hub from a large sprocket, 1" shaft and bearings, hinges from another project and a stand with wheels. I have 3 motors to choose from but am hoping the smallest one will get it done. Under the smallest loads the little motor will show load when it is added, at least that is the theory.