S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old August 7th, 2019, 09:21 PM   #1
gopherfan

Default Bearing Puller for Bont 125 wheels?

I just received my first set of Bont Red Magic Hardcore 2.0 125 mm wheels (the new tight bearing seat Aluminum hub). I was able to insert one Bones Swiss Ceramic bearing with some effort (and grease per my typical procedure). I was able to remove it with help from a hammer. Further attempts found I could use a hand held pusher tool to remove the bearing with significant force. This is all installing only one bearing. I can't imagine how I could PULL out a bearing with the hand tools I have. I know nothing about bearing press/pullers. I only care about pulling the bearing out. Any recommendations on what to get? I found this Amphetamine Bearing Press/Puller that would appear to work for pulling bearings from any size wheel even though it can't handle 125mm for installing bearings. Am I correct to think it would work? The lip to pull the bearing looks kind of small, but like I said, I have no experience with bearing pullers.

unrelated FYI, wheels weigh 226.0g (MPC Black Magic were 202.3g)

Last edited by gopherfan; August 8th, 2019 at 12:34 AM.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2019, 11:14 PM   #2
shesk8

The Zeleritaz Retractor works great and does not put stress on the bearings.
They work perfectly with both regular hubs and the aluminum hub wheels.
Link: Https://tinyurl.com/Zeleritaz-Bearing-Retractor\\

video link on How to use this tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4O679etCto

Last edited by shesk8; August 7th, 2019 at 11:19 PM. Reason: link
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 06:59 PM   #3
SkateMO

I have a set of the Bont wheels and had to use a bearing tool to remove a bearing...and the wheel had both bearings in it. I use a rollerblade tool that looks like a "Y"...it's one of those that has three "tools" in one unit kind of thing.

It's hard to describe, but I use the bearing pusher/puller (not sure which it's actually called) and just try to gently wiggle the bearing to losen it up. Obviously, you have to apply a lot of pressure. When I removed the bearings, it required a lot of force, but it was controlled force if that makes sense. I didn't just pull as hard as I could. I used the tool to slowly rock the bearing back and forth until it came out. I had to push the bearing tool in with a lot of force and move it side-to-side at the same time. It worked for me.

When you start using hammers and such, you risk damaging the bearing. I had trouble getting the bearings to actually go all the way in, so I would push them as far as I could, and then place the wheel and bearing on the ground and apply my entire body weight to try to get it to go the rest of the way in. I wouldn't recommend doing this because I bent a shield. I think the best way is to use the same method that you would use to remove them. Take the bearing pusher/puller and push down and rock the bearing back and forth until it slides in.

It's a process. It probably took me 20 or 30 minutes to get bearings to properly seat in all six wheels.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 10:19 PM   #4
gopherfan

I know the use of a hammer sounds destructive, but it all comes down to the procedure. I placed a floating spacer on the bearing. I then used a metal pipe that rested around the circumference of the floating wing of the spacer. I then tapped the pipe with a hammer with increasing force until the bearing moved. I was putting an equal force in the correct direction across the whole inner ring of the bearing. I can't think of a better way unless you could also spread the force to include the outside ring of the bearing (but the wheel hub is in the way).

The Zeleritaz Retractor looks like a great option IF it can create the required force. Anyone have experience with the tool on Bont 2.0 hubs? (Kimberly, have you or Eric used it to remove tight bearings like I described?) I'm skeptical the handle length and my small hands can create enough leverage.

I reached out to a friend who is sponsored by Bont. He said he has never had this issue. I know he is being honest, but I was surprised by his response. I was expecting something more like what I found on Reddit. Everyone else I have talked to have either said it is a nightmare or in some cases they haven't ever removed the bearings (NOT a solution!).
Old August 9th, 2019, 04:40 AM   #5
shafeeqs

The lip on the end of the puller has to be small - no thicker than the inner race of the bearing, otherwise it just dents the shield. I would think the one you describe would work.

If you can't pull out bearings, you could push them out by sticking a "punch" through one bearing & floating spacer until it rested on the inner race of the opposite bearing, then hammer on the punch to push the opposite bearing out. If you choose the diameter of the punch carefully (say 1/4") it will be able to tilt just enough to reach the inner race but without being able to tilt far enough to damage the shield. Once the first bearing is out, the second one is straightforward.
shafeeqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 06:10 PM   #6
shesk8

Yes, we've not only personally used the Zeleritaz Bearings Retractor on Bont alum hubs, but all hubs. We tested it before committing to bringing it into our shop's product lines. We've sold many of these just for this very reason - for those hard to retract bearings of Bont's Alum hubs. No risk of damage to bearings, easy, quick retraction. check out the vid link I had posted.

For most other plastic bearing retraction applications a tool like Cado's dual torque tool has a nicely shaped bell for prying bearings.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2019, 09:38 PM   #7
gopherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafeeqs View Post
The lip on the end of the puller has to be small - no thicker than the inner race of the bearing, otherwise it just dents the shield.
I took a look at bearings I had lying around and the inner race sits higher than the shield. The shield will not dent if the bearing is pulled straight out. Additionally, if a bearing actually has two shields, I'd say most racers won't replace it after cleaning (though, admittedly, most bearing pullers are not made for racers since most combination presses don't fit race wheel sizes).

I ended up buying the Zeleritaz Bearings Retractor and in limited testing have been fully impressed. I tried a variety of bearings in the Bont Al 2.0 wheels and all have easily popped out. If you want a tool you can throw in your skate bag that will make pulling bearings easy, this is it. Beyond the Bont aluminum hubs, I like the idea of not stressing/deforming plastic/fiberglass/etc hubs by using this tool. For example, the G13 hubs get loose over time. Rocking out the bearings with a typical tool can not be helpful.

I'll mention one last thing. The Zeleritaz Bearings Retractor works for 608, but not Twincam ILQ-X mr2 bearings. The tool only removes the inner ring. I expected this, but as explained above, I don't understand why the lip isn't made a little longer. I mention this in case anyone has any slick ideas for removing mr2 bearings. With the inner ring removed, I'm thinking I need to find something that will fit perfectly inside the inner ring and on the interior floating spacer. The opposite bearing can then be tapped out similar to the procedure I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.