S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old July 30th, 2019, 01:08 AM   #21
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisKB View Post
Most Roll Line plates and Avangers fit big wheels up to 80mm at least (probably 85)
But you still have to be able to turn them.
Old July 30th, 2019, 07:09 AM   #22
HeBeGB

Gotta agree with Ferocious here, just cos it will fit, doesn't mean it will work.
Old July 30th, 2019, 11:11 AM   #23
fierocious1

Default Wheel clearance

https://flic.kr/p/RLnTuT

https://flic.kr/p/RZ4L8S

https://flic.kr/p/EEtC2a

Got clearance to turn? Tell you something funny Hebgb, There were a couple of guys laughing at my frames when I first posted on FB. Lol, well, I just laughed at them and kept on skating.... indoor or outdoor wheels, my home made milled plates can deal with most of the larger wheels out there and turn well doing it.
Old July 30th, 2019, 01:19 PM   #24
JorisKB

Well, not really actually, these biggies are usefull for speed skating outdoor, and you don't really want the action on these skates, you skate them with the harder cushions you can get so you lose minimal energy while pushing and turning and avoid any wobble while downhill.

But even this way, modern star based boen won't fit bigger than 70mm wheels.

If you go to the rink with big wheels (75+) and you want all the action, sure most plate won't do.

Clearance from center of axle to plate for Variant/Blaster is 47mm. Don't have an avenger available but I think they are higher than variant as I saw them with 90mm wheels already.
JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2019, 09:09 PM   #25
HeBeGB

[QUOTE=JorisKB;739477]Well, not really actually, these biggies are usefull for speed skating outdoor, and you don't really want the action on these skates, you skate them with the harder cushions you can get so you lose minimal energy while pushing and turning and avoid any wobble while downhill.

If that is what you are wanting out of your skates, then buy blades. They are much faster and more suited to what you are wanting out of them.
Old July 30th, 2019, 10:41 PM   #26
fierocious1

Quote:
Well, not really actually, these biggies are usefull for speed skating outdoor, and you don't really want the action on these skates, you skate them with the harder cushions you can get so you lose minimal energy while pushing and turning and avoid any wobble while downhill.

But even this way, modern star based boen won't fit bigger than 70mm wheels.

If you go to the rink with big wheels (75+) and you want all the action, sure most plate won't do.

Clearance from center of axle to plate for Variant/Blaster is 47mm. Don't have an avenger available but I think they are higher than variant as I saw them with 90mm wheels already.
A quad that doesn't turn is no fun no matter if you are racing, indoors or outdoors. I never want truck action restricted. Maybe stiffer cushions on an excellent floor but thats about it. Outdoors is ruled by inlines.
Old July 31st, 2019, 04:49 AM   #27
JorisKB

Ahah, these are very narrow minded opinions.

I've been skating hard cushions quads since the 80s and enjoying it, not waiting for your permission here. (We don't have friendly easy smooth rink in Europe, but we have lots of nice irregular streets in wich you are not allowed to lose control)

I could probably skate blades but I'm not enjoying it, so I avoid doing so.

And coming from someone promotting the use of stiff inline boots without much ankle mouvement and oversized plates, that's very loughable
(Yes, I've been trying that kind of setup too, that's actually closer to inline than hard cushions with short plates and free ankle)

I'm able to enjoy a large variety of quad skates, both with and without a lot of action, thanks.
And hard cushions does not mean no action at all btw.
Old July 31st, 2019, 06:58 AM   #28
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:

I've been skating hard cushions quads since the 80s and enjoying it, not waiting for your permission here. (We don't have friendly easy smooth rink in Europe, but we have lots of nice irregular streets in wich you are not allowed to lose control)

And coming from someone promotting the use of stiff inline boots without much ankle mouvement and oversized plates, that's very loughable
This seems like you don't know much about inlines🤔

(Yes, I've been trying that kind of setup too, that's actually closer to inline than hard cushions with short plates and free ankle)

I'm able to enjoy a large variety of quad skates, both with and without a lot of action, thanks.
Many inline boots have a surprising amount of ankle movement available if wanted/needed.

Long wheelbase great for skating fast with slower strides, the trick is to get enough steering too. Easy for DA45 plates.
Old July 31st, 2019, 10:00 AM   #29
bookwook

Seeing how this has morphed into a wheel/plate clearance thread,can someone give me any advice on my plates.I run a blue WIP plate with approx 45mm boot to centre of axle,what would be the largest wheel i could use without getting bootbite?I'm using scotts wheels at the moment and have no issues with the wheels rubbing the boot.
bookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2019, 11:28 AM   #30
fierocious1

Quote:

Ive skated high top boots and speed boots on both inline and quads. Currently skate inline speed boots on quad frame. I don't need the extra support. Skated short forward and long quad plates. Skated hockey inlines as well as 5x90mm inline speed(long frames)frames.
So don't assume it hasn't been tried "over here". Actually have a cushion tester and plate analyzer, so knowing how it works is not an issue either.
I do prefer quads over inlines though, more fun.
Old July 31st, 2019, 11:37 AM   #31
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwook View Post
Seeing how this has morphed into a wheel/plate clearance thread,can someone give me any advice on my plates.I run a blue WIP plate with approx 45mm boot to centre of axle,what would be the largest wheel i could use without getting bootbite?I'm using scotts wheels at the moment and have no issues with the wheels rubbing the boot.
I don't know much about whips but if you lean your plates over and don't have boot bite, you may be close to your limit. Everybody skates differently so there is always differences in what one person gets away with from another. Going to bigger wheels may require stiffer cushions to limit lean which would also modify the way you skate some.
Old July 31st, 2019, 12:42 PM   #32
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:

I've been skating hard cushions quads since the 80s and enjoying it, not waiting for your permission here. (We don't have friendly easy smooth rink in Europe, but we have lots of nice irregular streets in which you are not allowed to lose control)

And coming from someone promoting the use of stiff inline boots without much ankle movement and over-sized plates, that's very laughable

You make a valid point, it's sad to see such terrible plates and setup's get hawked here, hopefully people realize that the people offering the advice are "one off's", and take their advice with a grain of salt.

Inline boots on skateboard roller skate plates, brilliant, the worst of both worlds.
Old July 31st, 2019, 03:40 PM   #33
JorisKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Inline boots on skateboard roller skate plates, brilliant, the worst of both worlds.
Depends what for . For pure downhill, it's a good set up actually
https://scontent-frt3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...75&oe=5DDCCD05
Old July 31st, 2019, 03:48 PM   #34
JorisKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwook View Post
How big do you need ? You could probably try 70 or 72mm.
If you are going SEDS, there were no good 70mm wheels made for decade, I have an old set of Krypto "Roadrunners", maybe you can still find some of these.
I guess Hyper did good 70mm wheels back in the days too.

(There actually is some good 70mm skate wheels out there such as RAD glides and probably others, but make sure they are side set and the QR fit the 24mm core.)
Old July 31st, 2019, 05:50 PM   #35
fierocious1

Quote:
Depends what for . For pure downhill, it's a good set up actually
https://scontent-frt3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...75&oe=5DDCCD05
I dont do a lot of outdoor skating. No downhills. An inline boot give the skater several advantages over standard mounted boots when combined with my plates. Lightweight boots that are inexpensive, can move boot alignment anytime I want without redrilling the boots, comfortable form fitting and because of good fit, no sloppy slipping around in your boots. So input to the skates is accurate not sloppy. Changing frames from short wheelbase to long and back only takes a few minutes. Taller wheels no problem and can be adapted to even taller than 80mm with no problem. Yeah, some people are behind further than they though as usual, ....ursle.... my skates were adapted to bigger wheels around or before the time Hebgb started making big wheels. I have had krypto classic 85mm wheels on my skates before...just too heavy.
If you have rub spot with your boots, something is wrong.... I don't
Old July 31st, 2019, 06:04 PM   #36
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
You make a valid point, it's sad to see such terrible plates and setup's get hawked here, hopefully people realize that the people offering the advice are "one off's", and take their advice with a grain of salt.

You skate in a tennis court like a rodeo clown running around barrels at slow speeds. Lol as if your input is worth anything mikey. You put lotion on your feet to skate FFS. I skated in cotton socks for over 15 hours this past weekend 12 of it on extremely grippy floors, no vlisters.... lol right sized socks for the job no wool BS, no "wicking" socks to make my feet slide around in the boot, or lotion to cause unwanted slide in my boots.

Get with the times, MANY quad skates are going to carbon soled boots and very stiff counters. It's great for speed, not so much for slide modulation though.

Adapting from 1 skate to the next is easy, just like anything, it takes practice to start to know the differences needed. I can go from long frame inlines to short wheelbase quads, to ice hockey skates and not have issues.
Old July 31st, 2019, 06:18 PM   #37
JorisKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
You skate in a tennis court like a rodeo clown running around barrels at slow speeds. Lol as if your input is worth anything mikey. You put lotion on your feet to skate FFS. I skated in cotton socks for over 15 hours this past weekend 12 of it on extremely grippy floors, no vlisters.... lol right sized socks for the job no wool BS, no "wicking" socks to make my feet slide around in the boot, or lotion to cause unwanted slide in my boots.

Get with the times, MANY quad skates are going to carbon soled boots and very stiff counters. It's great for speed, not so much for slide modulation though.

Adapting from 1 skate to the next is easy, just like anything, it takes practice to start to know the differences needed. I can go from long frame inlines to short wheelbase quads, to ice hockey skates and not have issues.
I don't know the history between you guys, but is there any relevance at all in this post ?
Old July 31st, 2019, 06:48 PM   #38
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
I don't know the history between you guys, but is there any relevance at all in this post ?
Just calling him out for slandering others equipment choices mainly.
Old July 31st, 2019, 08:12 PM   #39
ursle
Street Skater

Go ahead Trom, describe your setup, I need a laugh.

Cotton socks....check, two pair
Vanilla over sized worn out boots....check
Plates....not yet.

Now tell us about how your advice broke Lil' Eve's ankle, remember, she asked what wheels to slide outdoors with and you told her softer wheels, before anyone could correct you she got softer wheels, and broke her ankle.

I bet you're still sore about being guilty of causing a beginning skater to break an ankle, was a member for a week.

And you're right, I prefer to skate alone for exercise, I'm not trying to show anyone anything, I have no sparkles, no flashing lights, and I skate just like I was on ice playing hockey, I'm not twirling and strutting and...listening to terrible music, gosh...for 45 years, after 15 years of ice hockey.

BTW, once again....Trom, The lotion keeps friction in check, friction is heat, heat is bad, I know, you don't understand...

You're imagining your feet sloping around in a stretched out boot, my boots are tight, no slide, my orthotic's keep my feet exactly still, while giving me better balance, and by not using cotton socks, I have better blood flow, no cotton piles under foot, cooler feet and the smart-wool is warm if wet, dries immediately and last's years.

The point is, take any advice from these "one off's" with a grain of salt.
Old July 31st, 2019, 10:31 PM   #40
fierocious1

Quote:
There is a lot of history. Mort is the most knowledgable person I know of on Arius. He has tried it all. He also tests boots and wheels. He skates various rinks.
I used to skate all over the Houston area, making a tour of it every year for several years. I tested many wheel sets per session everywhere I skated. Ive been skating this time around probably 9 years or so.
There are people here that always search for the best, not the most expensive. Beyond that several of us try to take away the "black magic" or opinion and find ways to find actual facts and then prove them to be true. It usually kills arguing though lol
So there are heated discussions between the veterans here that are in the know and the ones that don't test crapola.

Do you see what this does jorisKB? https://flic.kr/p/RZ4LVo
https://flic.kr/p/RZ4MB3