S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old May 14th, 2019, 05:20 PM   #1
Aerocat

Default Stretching Moldable Boots for Width

Bought a pair of Atom Pros and they are really nice for the price. However, I must have some duck feet or something because they just plain put my feet to sleep after about five minutes. Tried the heat molding, but what I really need to do is give myself some more width at the ball of my feet.

How should I go about doing that?

Do I need to bake them or just local heating with a heat gun?

What's the best way to push them out from the inside? Shoe stretcher?
Aerocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 09:43 PM   #2
BigFoot

This is NOT a helpful reply. I only offer you sympathy. I have duck feet. For years I bought boots in standard sizes/widths that, in a short time, would squeezed all feeling out of my feet and caused blistering. I suffered with this problem for years. I twice used an improvised scissor-like flat bar set-up, with a c-clamp, and pieces of wood to spread the toe box. It helped, but these were leather boots. They would stretch with use, even without using a stretching device. The Atom boots are, I think, all synthetic with a shell made of carbon fiber and mold-able fiber. I donít know how that material would respond to stretching. Anyway, I now have to order custom-made boots to fit my freakish feet. But hey, its important to have a good fit. You need to be comfortable and its critical to have feeling in your feet when you skate.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 04:26 PM   #3
shesk8

How much stretch you can get on a boot, rather depends on how much you need to budge the area across the bunion. Stock boots are not always a Cinderella story, every mgfr uses a different last to build boots on.

If you have not done a basic oven heating, I'd suggest to try that first. Too many are concerned with damaging the boots, but they are designed to be molded for optimal fit. Prior to molding them, adhere a thick piece of mole skin to your bunion(maybe even double it up), and a strip along the outer 5th metatarsal, the fleshy area below the pinkie toe. This will feel horribly tight when molding, but will help push out the boots in the spots you need.

If that does not resolve the issue go after those spots with a heat gun and Hoke tool - and, with some patience you can work on those areas with the heat gun to create more space around the bunion area.

If you are really fighting the width, to the point the foot is painfully pressured across the ball of foot, be warned, that continued pressure could result in a neuroma. When I find skaters having wider feet, or just splayed toes, I will shift them to a Bont boot, as Bont is more square in the toe box, plus they are the only company to offer semi-custom widths based on the skaters foot profile (for a minimal upcharge fee).

Hope these tips help. If not, it might be worth exploring other boot options.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 11:56 PM   #4
Aerocat

Thanks for the helpful replies!
Old May 20th, 2019, 11:59 AM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

You don't list a location, but walk into a good ski boot fitting shop, they can stretch any part of the boot in any direction, and make custom orthotics which will free up some room also.
Old May 20th, 2019, 12:51 PM   #6
Aerocat

Thatís the direction Iím leaning. Found a ski shop that does custom molding and stretching. Since itís the off-season it has been hard to get together with the owner because his shop has very limited hours. Heís never done a speed boot but has done hockey skates before.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 07:14 AM   #7
BMW325TI

Well I have same issue; wide feet
Triedd to heatmolding (oven) Luigino Challenge to have some more width.
Too bad material remains hard to deform.....
Only material around ankle will pliable....
BMW325TI is offline   Reply With Quote