S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old August 3rd, 2019, 06:28 AM   #1
zebra1922

Default Introduction to inlines?

I've been skating on quads for about a year or so, but I'm interested in some longer distance skating, probably outdoors, which suggests using inlines (I'll still skate quads for fun, session skating etc).

Problem is I know nothing about inline skates. I see some with 3 or 4 very large wheels, and many with more 'normal' sized wheels. Where would be good starting point for someone who wants to train and build towards a half marathon distance?
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 08:27 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

The speed skating forum
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...splay.php?f=16
has a lot of world class members stop by, definitely ask that question there, and ask about used boots in your size.

Actually, go to the forum and start reading the post's, get familiar with the names to listen to and use the forum private message feature.
Getting the right boot the first time will save a lot of time and effort.
Old August 13th, 2019, 12:33 PM   #3
rhyfelwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra1922 View Post
I've been skating on quads for about a year or so, but I'm interested in some longer distance skating, probably outdoors, which suggests using inlines (I'll still skate quads for fun, session skating etc).

Problem is I know nothing about inline skates. I see some with 3 or 4 very large wheels, and many with more 'normal' sized wheels. Where would be good starting point for someone who wants to train and build towards a half marathon distance?
I do long distance and would recommend a 3x125mm setup. However, balancing correctly on these is challenging; especially when you get to achieving the double push technique which requires good control on the outside edges.

At the least, I would suggest a 4 x110mm setup which will give you a reasonably good size wheel (bigger is better for overcoming rougher surfaces) and a longish wheelbase which also helps for stability on long distance track/road conditions.

Oh - if you are relatively new to inline and looking to do long distances, don't necessarily be tempted to go for the race boots. These have very low cuffs and, whilst great for seasoned pro's, they are not ideal for long distance "enthusiasts". Even I am not comfortable going to a race boot on a 3x125 rig.
rhyfelwr is offline   Reply With Quote