S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 20th, 2016, 09:09 AM   #1
jiscarg08

Default Problem with my edges! Are my cushions the problem? (Variant)

Hello! Well, this is my first post, and I have to say that if I make some mistake while expressing myself in skating terms, is because I speak English as second language and I don't get all those words yet.
I'm a 17 year old artistic roller skater, and I've started skating seriously when I was 9. So it's been 8 years since then and I still can't do well some edges (three turns), or it's terribly difficult for me to do them; and I'm so frustrated because it's seems to be easy to everyone and I'm tired of people saying I don't put enough effort cause I do.
After reading some post around here, I have noticed some about mixing the different stiffness plates' cushions. I currently weight 68kg (149lbs) and I use a Roll Line Variant plate, with yellow rubber cushions. So, according to those posts, you have to use the lower cushion 1 level lower in stiffness than your upper cushion, so for me I would be: yellow (hard) upper with brown-natural (medium) lower cushions.
But I'm a bit scared of doing this because no one where I live has ever done such a thing, they use the stock cushions.
Should I try doing this? I'm tired of fighting with my turns and spins because my skate just doesn't want to turn
jiscarg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Derrick

Default hmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiscarg08 View Post
Hello! Well, this is my first post, and I have to say that if I make some mistake while expressing myself in skating terms, is because I speak English as second language and I don't get all those words yet.
I'm a 17 year old artistic roller skater, and I've started skating seriously when I was 9. So it's been 8 years since then and I still can't do well some edges (three turns), or it's terribly difficult for me to do them; and I'm so frustrated because it's seems to be easy to everyone and I'm tired of people saying I don't put enough effort cause I do.
After reading some post around here, I have noticed some about mixing the different stiffness plates' cushions. I currently weight 68kg (149lbs) and I use a Roll Line Variant plate, with yellow rubber cushions. So, according to those posts, you have to use the lower cushion 1 level lower in stiffness than your upper cushion, so for me I would be: yellow (hard) upper with brown-natural (medium) lower cushions.
But I'm a bit scared of doing this because no one where I live has ever done such a thing, they use the stock cushions.
Should I try doing this? I'm tired of fighting with my turns and spins because my skate just doesn't want to turn

I'm not really qualified to answer this I'm not really an art skater. You should post in the art forum they will know.

I do spins and three turns (well as we,l as I can). I've also tried softer cushion (reds). The feel is a bit different, not bad, but different. I don't think I've ever added an element because of a change of cushions. In the end I went back to the stock cushions. They hold more energy for the flip of the axel.

If you are like me, however, just do it, then you will know. I know that I would wonder about it constantly until I tried it.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #3
emtdpf

I have a roll line plate (Mariner cup) and skate comp.

What you are thinking of doing is exactly what I did. I bought the full set of tans, to play around, and have settled on the short yellow and the tall tans.

I also tighten my action just enough to not flop around. In the past month, I have had to click a smidge tighter, to take into consideration of the breaking in period.

Don't forget to adjust your pivot pin when you make all of the changes

The reaction is very quick, and edges stay clean.

Regards
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:16 PM   #4
Derrick

From a 50 year old prospective anyway.

When I get frustrated with lack of progress on an element I tend to think back to like a year and see if I'm a better skater now. And, oh yea, I'm a lot better.

I never give up on anything, like ever, but just looking back and reviewing you ur progress helps the mental aspect. You'll get it.

So, right now I'm working on my three turn starting LIB. This may not be recommended by an art skater but here is what I do. First do a couple of jump turns in the direction of rotation, CCW in this case. Then jump turn but land on only the performing foot a couple of times. Then Jump turn on just the performing foot a couple of times. Then I let the bodies natural tendency to make things more efficient eliminate the jumpiness (I still jump it somewhat but I'm getting better).

The last thing I do is set up with a LOF 3 turn and go right into it. That improves it a bit more.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 03:18 PM   #5
jiscarg08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
This may not be recommended by an art skater but here is what I do. First do a couple of jump turns in the direction of rotation, CCW in this case. Then jump turn but land on only the performing foot a couple of times. Then Jump turn on just the performing foot a couple of times. Then I let the bodies natural tendency to make things more efficient eliminate the jumpiness (I still jump it somewhat but I'm getting better).
Well, that's exactly what I do, I jump them a bit but it a bit risky to do that in coreography and of course, coaches and judges notice everything. As I run out of options to learn them I guess I'll experiment with my cushions and keep trying. I will never give up, that's for sure
jiscarg08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions, edges, plates, skates, variant m