S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:21 AM   #201
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default RollonAmerica 09Feb2014

Hi ALL,

Well I could have titled this Skateland 09Feb2014 since I loved skating with the little kids and their parents at Skateland for years and many places before Skateland in Haverhill, MA. To skate fast or clever, kids certainly provide a challenge. No hits, avoid all obstacles (the little ones), and still skate with style and speed through the holes or Open Spaces. Ooops I am near Harold's age of a ripe, fluid 67.

Anyway, early on I felt sad since my two inline 20's brothers are still not showing up, also missed some hockey, under 13 kids, who skate fast.

Well then later in the session about 2 hours in, some of the better adults with their kids started showing up. Then it got more exciting since better skaters were on the floor. I guess they have learned what I have learned. Let the newbies burn themselves out for an hour or so. After that we the more experienced or, want to be, take over the skate floor with skaters who WANT to skate.

One little girl, I mean she was small and her parents gave her a helmet. Well this little kid kept skating till later and you could she was dance skating with hands to the sky and other stuff. A weird looking gal kid in some ways yet maybe that is what makes talent. I mean what she was doing to make skating fun.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Edit-01: 18:06 -Have to add one little girl in the last paragraph. I am not going to add a young couple who were fun to see skating together.
Edit-02: Another comment and change to the dialog

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; February 10th, 2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Adding one little girl
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #202
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

This blog is no longer "Mini".
Old February 18th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #203
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default The notes are mini

Well Edward,

The notes are mini, (or shorts about skating), yet a blog is always expandable depending on the interest of the participants.

P.S. Hey Ed add an entry.
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #204
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Well Edward,

The notes are mini, (or shorts about skating), yet a blog is always expandable depending on the interest of the participants.

P.S. Hey Ed add an entry.
Okay, as soon as I go skating (this weekend).
Old February 21st, 2014, 06:15 AM   #205
WaterCityJammer

I had a good session at Queensborough all wheels park tonight. Didn't get my 720s back yet, and my spinning is getting closer to being on rhythm. I feel like I'm making a little progress on my grape vines.
Mix of dancing and freestyle at 'Boro Skate Park, Vancouver BC
WaterCityJammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 04:45 AM   #206
Tripler
Easy Roller

I had a good session tonight as well. Recently got some Snyder super deluxes and all I gotta say is wow! They are so much more stable then the pd dynafails Wasn't too crowded so there Wasn't many falls. Seen the first wheelchair ever out on the floor. The boy was havin a blast out there. Just about got the grapevine down pat. Still havin a little trouble pointing my toes in and turning around but altogether was a good night
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:35 PM   #207
isobelsk8

Default Two sessions in one day...

yesterday I took my 5 year old to a learn to skate session. It was his very first time on skates and he was very apprehensive but after much negotiation we got across the floor and back several times. I wanted him to try it with out hand holding but he just isn't there yet. He is very flat footed and quite in toed so found it very hard to keep his feet pointing forward but it was a good start. We started on quads but one of the teachers suggested he switch to inlines while he finds his balance so we gave that a shot.

I then went to last nights session so I could get some laps around the rink for myself (skating is my exercise). It was very quiet and there were not enough adults on the floor joining in the fun but I enjoyed myself grooving along when the tunes were good. There were a few skilled kids on the floor, a young boy about 12 years old on quads who could side surf and reverse hockey stop well. There was a teenage girl giving me stink eye most of the night, I'm guessing she was perplexed as to why I skate solo on a weekend night or something, who knows. I did a little work on my transitions and enjoyed the space of a quiet session. My feet were hurting about an hour and a half in but it was generally a good session and worth the effort.
isobelsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 01:13 AM   #208
WaterCityJammer

Default Got my 720's back!

I went to a skatepark I used to skate in 1998 last night. I used to skate on my inlines grinding the ledges and working on jumps. My quad skates are a bit rusty from winter skating, but I managed to get my 720s back (they still need some work on the landing though.) New West skate jam
Old February 23rd, 2014, 04:30 AM   #209
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Welcome to all the NEW mini-bloggers. I guess you could call me a regular here.

I had a nice night Friday at Moonlight. Good crowd, though not distractingly crowded. I had a good night skating and a funny incident. I forget what song was playing, but I got the urge to do some fast forward weaving through traffic for some reason. I usually skate backward almost exclusively. Well weaving through traffic, I had a brain-fart, and could not decide to cut right or left, seeing my middle route just closed up. Well, I plowed into this girl and her friend. The girl usually comes with her dad and a friend. Today, no dad, and a different friend. So I try to squeeze by, but the put a hand on the girls' back and grabbed her left arm so I could steady her and not knock her down. There was some teetering and tottering and some screaming, but in the end, no harm no foul. When she was steady I released and gave her room. Looked back and mouthed SORRY. All seemed well as the girls were still laughing about it a lap later.

Just funny, as careful as I skate backwards I should run into someone going forward.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 11:23 PM   #210
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Thumbs up Kids are a challenge and a blessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
I LOVE avoiding flailing munchkins while skating backward. It's kind of my thing. But loving it is balanced out by the fact that I have sessions where I DON'T have to. Nice orderly adult sessions.
Me too. The kids are cute and maybe some of that young exuberance will rub off on me (kinda like an infusion of youth). I just finished one of those family session skates and it leaves me on a high. If it wasn't for the kids I might be a sour old fuddy-duddy. I can't change the old (just a fact of life), but I can get an attitude adjustment. Also the kids keep my reflexes sharp. The falls, the wild turns, the going the wrong way, it all adds up to keeping me on my toes (toestops - more correctly). Then, later in the week I attend an adult night where I can let it rip (higher speed and more creative movements to the music)! God bless the kids! May they keep skating until they are old(like me)!
GraySk8ter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 06:03 AM   #211
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
Me too. The kids are cute and maybe some of that young exuberance will rub off on me (kinda like an infusion of youth).:roll eyes:
. God bless the kids! May they keep skating until they are old(like me)!
Yeah. Not too many little ones on Friday evening. More tweens and teens. There was this proper looking young lady, about 5 or 6 in a dress with a bow in her hair. Cute as a button, dutifully doing laps on her rollerblades. The girl I mentioned I ran into in the previous post has been coming 3 or 4 years. I have watched her grow up some. She was 8 or 9 when she started. Must 12 or 13 now. Heck, us adult regulars have watched many kids grow up at the rinks. Yeah, the enthusiasm of the kids rubs off. But even when you are tired, you can still watch them zip around.
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #212
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default WaterCityJammer / Aussie Welcome

OK Guys

You got the spirit of this tread, Show or Tell Skating.
Like finally getting the 720 (2 full spins after leaving those bowls)
My one book shows gals in Sewage drains doing spins.

This is the only Tread on SLForum like this.
v-v-v
No one comments normally to a fellow poster and skater, and we skaters are not solving anyone's problems or giving advice.

We just talk or show our stuff, for others to learn, and for us to communicate with other skaters in a different way. It has always been funny that Adam (RollerKingdom) whom I know, started this great idea and has never posted. He is or was a good speed and general junk around young skater.

Old February 26th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #213
Bill

Had a birthday celebration at the golden gate park skating place
was david niles, "god father of skating's celebration.weather was in mid 60's sunny a great day trying to post a facebook photo.we had a bbq, lots of cupcakes, and many other goodies.most sunny days are a blast there if you are in the city worth the effort. I visited the conservatory of flowers near by. the main street is closed to traffic, the main skating area is 6th ave http://www.cora.org/skatinplace.htm
always a party. warm in the winter cool/cold in the summer..
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 04:51 AM   #214
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Thanks DocSk8

Recently I saw a post by DocSk8 about cushions for snyder skates. He was recommending the SureGrip Super cushions. Upon his recommendation I ordered a set of red (93a) and a set of purple(85a) cushions. They were delivered today and I installed the reds on my backup skates(snyder super deluxe). I tried them at tonight's adult session and they worked well. So the next step is to install the purples on my primary skates(snyder imperial). Oh, by the way, drinking adult beverages before skating is not a recommended activity. We had a young lady (late 20s) falling on the floor and wobbling around so other skaters had to dodge her.
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:53 AM   #215
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
Oh, by the way, drinking adult beverages before skating is not a recommended activity. We had a young lady (late 20s) falling on the floor and wobbling around so other skaters had to dodge her.
I've actually had a great time after several good swigs of whiskey before skating. But then again, I know what I am doing. Reminds me of a Friday at Moonlight. It was later in the session, 5 guys and a girl come in. The guys were drunk as skunks. They were falling all over, and usually on purpose. They were having FUN falling. It was amusing for me as they were easy, in my opinion, to predict. What REALLY amused me was the regular tweens being absolutely appalled be the behavior of that group. The youngsters were shocked and dismayed at their un-safe behavior.
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:35 AM   #216
WaterCityJammer

I got to one of my favourite parks after a long day at work, but it was still covered in snow. I filmed two How-Two edits on the small dry section. One was on The Boot Catch
Old March 1st, 2014, 02:01 PM   #217
isobelsk8

It was another quiet session tonight. I think the Friday night sessions are a better fit for me with a few regulars who make for a fun night but I could't get there this Friday (was dancing my ass off at a Public Enemy gig, was way cool). I got to work on my backwards to forwards transitions again thanks to there only being about 4 to 6 people on the floor at any one time. I still need to do a huge amount of work but I can feel it coming along. I also did a fair bit of backwards practice and am getting my speed back there a little. I can really feel the turniess of my plates while cruising backwards too.

Anyway, as quiet as it was it was also kind of fun having a whole rink almost to myself for 2 hours skating along to the music.
isobelsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 06:50 AM   #218
WaterCityJammer

An Arctic front floated over Vancouver today just when I went out to skate. I ended up using the socks that I cover my camera with as gloves. Someone was working out in the park where I was skating and when I put my music on they started skipping down the path. Grape Vines at the Pier Park
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:45 AM   #219
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Smile Family skate session

Just returned from a family session. It was great! Really like skating with the younger kids (12 & under mostly). They not only pick up my spirits and keep me on my toes(stopping), but they just have a great can do attitude. They are completely honest and will tell you exactly what they think(good or bad). Three kids said they liked my skating today and that means more than an adult giving a complement(you know they really mean it). I will have to give some of the credit to DocSk8 though. Upon his recommendation of super cushions for snyder skates, I bought and installed the purple 85a cushions on my imperial skates. Figured a lot of adjustment might be required, but no. I had just snugged the kingpins during installation and loosely locked the lock nut down. When I skated on them at this session, I was very careful for the first 20 minutes and got familiar with the improved turning radius quickly. Did not have to make any further adjustments. So, I just cranked the lock nuts down to make the adjustment semi-permanent. After almost an hour skating the new cushions, I felt completely comfortable. They did help put a little extra zing in my moves. So if you have rubber cushions, consider the suregrip super cushion. They are fantastic!!
Keep rolin
Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:46 AM   #220
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Saturday 01Mar2014 Late Lancaster Skate

Hi All, isobelsk8,WaterCity, Rufus, , ,

Haven't been to teen night since before my foot toe break, yet I was planning to go Snow Shoeing Sunday for longer than an hour, SO I went to skate with the teens, and young college kids, plus some adults past 21 and and just a few parents on Saturday Night.

I have to go again is my bottom line. They are a blast, fast and without fear.

These kids some whom I have known for a few years are FAST and clever now, on their skates with moves. Move over Zanadu, (that lousy skate video by O.Newton John, you are low in performance compared to kid skaters I have known for years that have come and gone, and some that I still know who are great skaters. They can skate on one foot and dance skate with hand moves emulating songs they enjoy.

I sat with one young man who now has a spine problem. Geez he used to be fast backwards on his blades. Feel sorry for him yet he is trying to manage the pain and keep skating. He he knows my name (Dave), yet I don't recall his, which is a bit sad.. Another young talented dark haired young 17-18 lady had to sit next to me for a spell and tell me she learned skating from me. She is planning to go in the Coast Guard, yet I really don't remember teaching her anything since she and her brother mostly watched and learned and skated fast forwards and backwards. Both skated like they gave everything to skating.

One older, maybe 40s guy, saw me once again side surfing so he once again started using the inner areas to practice opening up his hips. He fell once just next to me and geez I just bounced around him. Hey great MA/NY Dave No Fall. I hope he does this move since he has been wanting this for maybe 2 years. And he always gets excited about side surfing when I show up and just troll it out.

Once I started Side_Surfing a few of the really great young people also did it. And just like us adults over at Skateland on Adult Night, they did it at least once or twice in a team Side Surf of at least 3 skaters. Gosh these teen kids are fun to watch, and skate with. Their energy can blow out most skaters.

Would love to add the limbo bar to the mix and have them shoot the duck sideways in the one rink that used to do this game. It is one of those challenge games.

I really need to skate with them more..

Edit-01: Fixing words, phrases, and ideas

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; March 3rd, 2014 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Fixing words/phrases
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote