S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2018, 10:38 PM   #1
Refresh
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 7
Default What wheel durometer for me?

Im just getting back into skating after 25 years off and about to buy some nice skates.
Ive been reading up and dont know where a good wheel guide is.
Im 39yrs old, 200lbs, skate on wood with clear coat.
I plan to shuffle, some racing and some hockey.

How do i know if i need a 87b or what?

Been eyballing the riedell 395 advantage online...
Refresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 11:31 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater
 
ursle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 2,953
Default

78-88a are really outdoor wheels, you might want to start at 92-96a, and get some hours in, used wheels aren't the end of the world cost wise.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 11:39 PM   #3
fierocious1
Senior Member
 
fierocious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
Im just getting back into skating after 25 years off and about to buy some nice skates.
Ive been reading up and dont know where a good wheel guide is.
Im 39yrs old, 200lbs, skate on wood with clear coat.
I plan to shuffle, some racing and some hockey.

How do i know if i need a 87b or what?

Been eyballing the riedell 395 advantage online...
Depends on your budget but, with clearcoat my favorite is Hyper White Shamans. Not too expensive and great grip. 97a
__________________
"Liberal Logic", not possible.... a phrase in conflict with itself....
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 12:20 AM   #4
Sunnyape
-- rufff --
 
Sunnyape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sid-a-knee, Australia
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
How do i know if i need a 87b or what?
You mentioned a wheel hardness in the B scale. Almost all skate wheel are measured in the A scale.

If the wheels really are measuring in B scale, then 87b equates to about 98a, which might be a bit too hard.

I'm 86kgs (190lbs) and sometimes skate on wood with a clear coat. If the floor is clean and giving good grip, my 94a wheels roll and corner nicely for speed sessions, but can still be forced to break traction for a hockey stop. If that same floor's a bit dirty or slippery, I drop back to my 89a wheels for their grip, which is fine for general skating and some light speed, but they are a touch too soft for full speed or to hockey stop / drift in the corners.

Last edited by Sunnyape; February 5th, 2018 at 04:35 AM. Reason: 87b might be a bit hard for wood
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 12:34 AM   #5
Refresh
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks for the feedback.

Leaning towards reidell 395 advantage power plus with purple95a or black 93a wheels as my initial pair of skates. Make some changes after putting in some time with local speed team.
Refresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 04:32 AM   #6
Sunnyape
-- rufff --
 
Sunnyape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sid-a-knee, Australia
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Leaning towards reidell 395 advantage power plus with purple95a or black 93a wheels as my initial pair of skates. Make some changes after putting in some time with local speed team.
I'd say start with the 93's while you're getting your mojo back. They'll probably be a better all-round bet from what you've said so far. Once you've gotten your mojo back, go for a bit harder like a 95+ and enjoy the faster roll and occasional power slide / drift.

PS. There's no dignity in purple wheels >:P
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 12:15 PM   #7
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 6,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Leaning towards reidell 395 advantage power plus with purple95a or black 93a wheels as my initial pair of skates. Make some changes after putting in some time with local speed team.
I had Purple Power Plus. Nice color. Nice wheel. Good starting point as you get back into things.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Refresh
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
I had Purple Power Plus. Nice color. Nice wheel. Good starting point as you get back into things.
im a little confused by online content regarding durometer for these wheels Sure-Grip Power Plus wheels.

Sure-grip says purple is 95a, black 93a...

Rollerskatenation says purple is 97a...

Im very excited and about ready to order. Now im trying to confirm if im a 10.5 or 11 boot...

So where is best to order from? My local skate shop is not exactly top notch...

Rollerskatenation? my roller skate world?
Refresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 12:39 PM   #9
fierocious1
Senior Member
 
fierocious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
im a little confused by online content regarding durometer for these wheels Sure-Grip Power Plus wheels.

Sure-grip says purple is 95a, black 93a...

Rollerskatenation says purple is 97a...

Im very excited and about ready to order. Now im trying to confirm if im a 10.5 or 11 boot...

So where is best to order from? My local skate shop is not exactly top notch...

Rollerskatenation? my roller skate world?
http://www.conniesskateplace.com/ is where I get stuff when I order new parts. Jody will take care of you.

If in doubt on Duro, go conservative. IMO, you could start at 93a and not be disappointed. Look at what the guys at the rink are using and what they are doing with them. That will give you a general idea of how hard of a wheel to buy. 97a, 98a are generally used on well kept floors. So 93a to 95a should get it done. Like I said, just my opinion. But I would have a look at others skates first.
__________________
"Liberal Logic", not possible.... a phrase in conflict with itself....
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 02:03 AM   #10
Dekindy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresh View Post

Im very excited and about ready to order. Now im trying to confirm if im a 10.5 or 11 boot...

So where is best to order from? My local skate shop is not exactly top notch...

Rollerskatenation? my roller skate world?
Riddell has sizing charts that you can print. Look under Support and then Sizing Help.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 02:43 PM   #11
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 6,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
im a little confused by online content regarding durometer for these wheels Sure-Grip Power Plus wheels.

Sure-grip says purple is 95a, black 93a...

Rollerskatenation says purple is 97a...

Im very excited and about ready to order. Now im trying to confirm if im a 10.5 or 11 boot...

So where is best to order from? My local skate shop is not exactly top notch...

Rollerskatenation? my roller skate world?
I wonder if that has to do with older stock vs newer stock. Try checking with DVW. He is usually up on that sort of stuff.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 01:09 AM   #12
fierocious1
Senior Member
 
fierocious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
You mentioned a wheel hardness in the B scale. Almost all skate wheel are measured in the A scale.

If the wheels really are measuring in B scale, then 87b equates to about 98a, which might be a bit too hard.

I'm 86kgs (190lbs) and sometimes skate on wood with a clear coat. If the floor is clean and giving good grip, my 94a wheels roll and corner nicely for speed sessions, but can still be forced to break traction for a hockey stop. If the floor's a bit dirty or slippery, I drop back to my 89a wheels for their cornering grip; fine for general skating and some speed, but they are a touch too soft to hockey stop with, so it's T, plow or spin stops.
I have never needed any wheel softer than 92a at any rink floor I have ever skated on. Even cement floors. I weigh in at 230lbs +
__________________
"Liberal Logic", not possible.... a phrase in conflict with itself....
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 04:19 AM   #13
Sunnyape
-- rufff --
 
Sunnyape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sid-a-knee, Australia
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I have never needed any wheel softer than 92a at any rink floor I have ever skated on. Even cement floors. I weigh in at 230lbs +
I suppose heavier people can generally use harder wheels because they'll exert more downward pressure through the wheel's contact patch to the floor.

With only two sets of indoor wheels at the moment, I only have a choice of 94a, 89a or nuthin'.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 12:34 PM   #14
fierocious1
Senior Member
 
fierocious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
I suppose heavier people can generally use harder wheels because they'll exert more downward pressure through the wheel's contact patch to the floor.

With only two sets of indoor wheels at the moment, I only have a choice of 94a, 89a or nuthin'.
I was down at one time to 195lbs a few years ago. I didn't see any difference. But I do think duro and grip depend mostly on the floor. More so than weight. I have been looking at outdoor wheels and skateboard wheels and am a bit disappointed in the hardness of them. I have found only one set of wheels that got up to 88a. They are not available anymore. So the next wheel in 86a. I'm not racing them, just cruising around so wheel weight is not so much a factor as being able to roll over stuff. I keep a lot of wheels around to try out. If a person skates a lot of different places, they have to gather up sets of wheels that work at different places. It's all good though, helps the fun factor. I have a used set of Green Shamans to use at a pavilion, they are soft enough to grip well on cement, but hard enough to give me a good workout.
__________________
"Liberal Logic", not possible.... a phrase in conflict with itself....
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 04:21 PM   #15
dvw
Secretary of Skate
 
dvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Posts: 4,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
If the wheels really are measuring in B scale, then 87b equates to about 98a, which might be a bit too hard.
Be very careful trying to cross durometer scales. They do not convert. Period.

The durometer was invented by Shore Instruments and the scales are intended to act as a comparison between materials, not as a definitive measurement. They're an arbitrary 0 - 100 scale, and pair a spring load and a particular shape "indenter". The first flaw in the comparison between scales is that not all indenters are the same shape. That makes them react to the materials under test differently.

And although you will see skate wheels advertised with hardness numbers greater than 100, please understand that it's just marketing, as an indicator that it's a really hard wheel, as no such number is actually possible. Generally, skate wheels greater than 100 Shore A are measured on the Shore D scale. The indenters for the A and D scales are very different.
__________________
Find some roller derby girls. Don't try to romance them! That don't end well. okie 10/12/2011
Royals FTW! When only the shiny will do... Doc Sk8 05/19/2012
dvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 08:33 PM   #16
Sunnyape
-- rufff --
 
Sunnyape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sid-a-knee, Australia
Posts: 97
Default Maybe, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Be very careful trying to cross durometer scales. They do not convert. Period.
I disagree on that particular point. The Shore scales are a measurement of material hardness based the response of pre-defined instruments. Provided the instruments are made to the specifications, then their results should be uniform and, therefore, predictable. If any measurement system is predictable, then it can be converted to another similarly predictable measurement system. IE just as inches can be converted to centimetres, gallons to litres etc. As long as you know the ratio between the two measurement scales, you can always convert between them.

HOWEVER, it's fairly well known that when the Shore hardness devices are measuring at the end of their respective scales, their accuracy gets a bit unpredictable, so a wheel measured as 95 on one Shore A meter might measure as 94 on another or 96 on another because they're all measuring in the upper range of their scales and sensitive to many small factors. That's why some wheel companies advocate measuring their skate wheels in other Shore scales like B or D, so that the measurements always fall closer to the middle of the scale's range, where the meters are more accurate.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:00 PM   #17
dvw
Secretary of Skate
 
dvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Posts: 4,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
I disagree on that particular point. The Shore scales are a measurement of material hardness based the response of pre-defined instruments. Provided the instruments are made to the specifications, then their results should be uniform and, therefore, predictable.
True, except that the Shore scales are completely arbitrary. They are not traceable to any other standard. You would be correct saying that materials should react to different measuring devices if the devices were the same except for the scale ranges. Therein lines the challenge with the Shore durometer. The shape of the indenter is not uniform, and it only follows that the results would not be either.

Here's a little light reading for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
HOWEVER, it's fairly well known that when the Shore hardness devices are measuring at the end of their respective scales, their accuracy gets a bit unpredictable, so a wheel measured as 95 on one Shore A meter might measure as 94 on another or 96 on another because they're all measuring in the upper range of their scales and sensitive to many small factors. That's why some wheel companies advocate measuring their skate wheels in other Shore scales like B or D, so that the measurements always fall closer to the middle of the scale's range, where the meters are more accurate.
Misconception. Shore durometers have better resolution toward the upper end of their ranges, much the same as other devices such as volt meters and other test equipment. The reason the results are "unpredictable" is that the device has the resolution to detect the difference. They're more uniform the the center of the range because of the lack of resolution. You are correct that as durometers reach a reading of 100 their accuracy appears to drop since the scale stops at 100. Which scale should be used above that is a factor of the material under test, and that goes right back to my comment above about the arbitrary nature of the test itself
__________________
Find some roller derby girls. Don't try to romance them! That don't end well. okie 10/12/2011
Royals FTW! When only the shiny will do... Doc Sk8 05/19/2012
dvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 01:37 AM   #18
Sunnyape
-- rufff --
 
Sunnyape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sid-a-knee, Australia
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
The shape of the indenter is not uniform, and it only follows that the results would not be either.
Are you saying the indentors of the meters are not uniform when compared for one scale (manufacturing variations) or the they are not uniform when compared between different scales (specification difference)?

My original point wasn't that variation in the construction of the meter was a limiting factor in comparing scales. My point was that, assuming that the meters for the different scales had been manufactured to specification, then their results could be compared based on a known ratio.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.