S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old January 16th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #41
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Vertical gymnastics..... Those gals are kill ya dead strong! Amazing strength from some obviously gifted athletes. Fun to watch too!

I have a sport nature to my pullups. I like doing timed trials. My best feat yet was 100 pullups in 10m:53s. I almost beat the sub 10minute mark. Then 10 months ago I crashed at the skatepark trying to learn backflips and fubard the shnot outta my shoulder. I'm still trying to get back to where I was a year ago. Then there are the animals at barstarzz.com: http://youtu.be/PKfOuHJ_EXA

This one has got over 8million views!
http://youtu.be/j3MTqRWPiZU
So, it's actually a spectator sport as well.

There's a dude on the internet that ripped off 100 pullups consecutively! Lets not even get started with Jack ...

If I ever decide to rock climb, I'm ready! (definately a sport)
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #42
DesertSk8er

Default Supreme 90 - for AFTER you've fixed the hernia(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashpants View Post
Yup, doing the pushups too. I have a couple of hernias showing, so weight lifting is completely out for now until I'm back under a health plan and get them repaired. Don't want all my guts popping out just now. That's also why I had to reject rowing, because of the push through them. I'll probably get a small bench and handbells so I can do butterflies and one-arm lifts - anything that doesn't stress the abdomen directly.

BTW, those hernias popped out when I did some Supermans to help my lower back. Sucks gettin' old...
Crashpants,

Although I've never had a hernia, those that are cautioning you to be careful are probably right. I think between the swimming and the bench flies and bent-over rows w/dumbbells you'll probably be okay. I'd avoid going too heavy and aggravating the hernias, though. It's no sin to go lighter and do higher reps. Double sets of Crazy Eights, anyone?

I don't know about doing pushups. Pullups are probably okay. For me pushups require a lot of core, but then I'm a, ahem, slightly-beyond-middle-aged woman so I have far less upper body strength to work with and so must employ my core pretty hard when doing pushups.

After you've got health care coverage and get the hernias fixed, you might add a little variety to your dumbbell workouts and get the Supreme 90 workouts on video. I bought a set for $10 at Bed Bath and Beyond. I didn't do the 90-day program, I just do the workouts when I want a change of pace. Boy they're challenging. They're like P90-X without pullups (you can add those).

Good luck, and keep on skating!
DesertSk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #43
crashpants
Boo!

Thanks Desert!

As long as I don't lift heavy things while standing I should be okay. When I showed the hernias to the doctor, back when I was insured, he wasn't too concerned about them and advised to keep an eye on them and fix them when they could no longer be pushed back inside. Welcome to 'managed care' I guess.
Old February 5th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #44
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Hernias suck.

They should be fixed as soon as possible with your current lifestyle. Be it can't stop working or healthcare issues, at the earliest convenience is best.

I had one in my groin, left side. Got it repaired ASAP and was off work for a month.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 06:08 PM   #45
kentek

Default Here's an ez one...

I use a heavy duty bungy for a quick way to workout upper body.

Get one from any sports store; just make sure it has good handles.

Here's the drill:

Put the bungy over top of any door in the house and close the door on the bundy.

Handles should be at about eye level.

Stand about 2 feet back from door with feet together. Grab handles with them crossed.

Pull down handles in the same motion you would use in double poling in XC.
You can even stand sideways and pull in same manner as V1 one arm at a time.

Cadence should be fairly fast: see if you can do sets of 50 in about 1-1/2 minute. Work up to 75 or more or do them to failure...your body not the bungys. See if you can do several sets.
These exercises are about the closest I have been able to find to real poling.

I guarantee these will get your attention. If you do them today, you will have lactic acid pain by 3:00 PM tomorrow.
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 06:27 PM   #46
kentek

Default One more note...

In XC Skating technique the pole action is quite intricate. Is it not just jamming your poles into the snow as fast as you can.
After pole is placed in snow you basically fall on your elbows before the push- then the crunch in your abs and pole push- plus follow through.

So, a big part of upper body conditioning is doing crunches, like 100s or more.
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #47
kentek

Default poles

My experience with skating an ski poles comes from my time on Colorado.
The skating was cross training for XC Ski Skating. I couldn't always make the 75miles drive to the high country so I trained on the hills.
My path was C-470 southwest of Denver. It is all hills, long and steep. True, poles on the downs are useless but, the workout on the climbs was intense and a good workout.
Plus the rule in the Foothills is "the wind in your face going out will be the wind in your face coming back."

As for the flats, the only way the poles would be of use is if you had resistance bearings in some of your wheels.
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #48
phatnsassy
Living on my EDGE

Hey crashpants have you tried yoga? Not a sport but a fab workout.

The core is a major role player and your upper body gets a hell of a work out.

If you can't get to a class --- try a video from the library.

If you prefer something more "sportish" than "yogish" check out a yogafit video. Otherwise --- just go for any sort of beginner vid and go from there.

Hernias suck!
phatnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:05 PM   #49
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Speaking of yoga I did a class with the wife recently. And aside from the oddball names for all their poses it wasn't half bad.

It also increases flexibility and balance in many postures. Totally worth it, but like everything you get out what you put in.

If looking for a more manly yoga benefit try TKD(Tae Kwon Do). Great workout if you have a serious instructor and excellent cross training for skating.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #50
crashpants
Boo!

I saw one of these on the trail the other day:

http://www.rowbike.com/
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #51
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashpants View Post
I saw one of these on the trail the other day:

http://www.rowbike.com/

I will point and laugh even louder than I do when I see those old dudes on the couch bikes roll past. Hahahahahaa...

Seriously, who comes up with these new bike ideas? Please tell me you don't have one crashpants!
Goddam lets hope speedysktr doesn't see this thread....lol I think I'll cross post this on his facebook page and watch his head explode!

*edit: I like this bike better:
http://youtu.be/CUg3v2Rz5Zs

Last edited by Foot2big; March 20th, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:47 AM   #52
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Like you I get bored with weights but still lift twice a week with lighter weights and more reps and loud music. Two sets x's 15 reps does it for me. Working the core with situps is good to incorporate since it helps the skate as well as upper body workouts. Swimming with paddles for distance will also help the upper body. Considering everything posted here you have lots of options, just don't ride a recumbent or use ski poles.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:50 AM   #53
Pistol Packin Mama

I have a couple of kayaks and I find them to be a great workout. You can paddle along like a slow session skater pace, or really dig in for a great rowing workout that will do good things for your arms, shoulder, back and core.
Pistol Packin Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #54
WildBill

+1 ^ Kayaking is a great way to strengthen and tone your upper body. Kayaking requires core stability to keep upright, and let's not get started on the arm, shoulder, and back muscles that are used while rowing. I enjoy it because it doesn't feel like a workout because the scenery is always wonderful, and it's time well spent with friends.
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote