S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 12th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #301
Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
the time off should help you, how do the muscles feel now your not pushing them? the speed skates are a different animal for sure, when you switch back and forth you can really feel the difference on everything.

Kyle competes and needs to push it a bit more then you, even competitors sometimes dont take off the time they need to when injured to be honest. it depends on the degree of the injury and if they can make it worst and put them out longer or not. yes you have a few years on her, i dont know how much longer she will compete though.

You are right, giving them a few extra days does start to help, I can start to feel a stiffness that comes when i know its healing.. I took the old old riedell boots to the rink on monday and started to practice again with same mapes, loop jumps and waltz's i couldn't stand it.. I realized skating with my speed skates kind of depressed me.. it's wierd, but now all i want to do is practice pratice practice.. I want to get better i want to work on things i want to keep trying, and when i'm in my speed skates i feel so held back that i almost feel like I just better not try to practice anything becuase its not a proper set up and i'll just screw things up, muscles, my balance, whatever.. so i took the old ones on monday and it felt good to be practicing again.. Although I shoudln't have as i had a sore/strained muscle on the top of my thigh going into my torso (almost like the groin muscle but this one is on the top part of my leg) from doing jumping excercises in my shoes the night before.. wierdly though after doing some loop jumps it started to not feel painfull almost like the excercise i was giving it was stretching it out or what not.. but i didnt skate today, i wont skate tomorrow (wednesday) and i'm hoping to have my skates back tomorrow and take them on thursday.. I guess i need to give my body more time to recover, just sometimes it bring's me down when I cant practice

I think i'm hooked!
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #302
Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Was there any particular reason you didn't replace the inserts with decent ones?

I guess i just assumed that the ones they give you are adaquet enough or not bad? I dont really like DR scholls stuff myself, it's too spongy usually and flex too much for me when taking tight corners or things.. Granted that was in speed skates, maybe its differen't in artistic skates since you aren't speed skating.. I never thought of the custom inserts as cheap or crappy.

Either way the harware needed to be countersunk, it doesnt matter what insert you get, it's not going to be as thick in the toes as it is in the heel, and if it was as thick, it would be forcing my feet up against the top of the inside of the boot, which is REALLY painfull (i've had this happen from using DR scholls in a snug boot).. I'd considered the Edea 'shock absorber' ones but for 45 dollars, i'm not ready to make the plunge on something that may be a gimmick AND is sized in a completely different sizing than my riedells...
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #303
HK47
Roll Player

Inserts are pretty diverse in terms of thickness, but the stock ones that come with most boots appear to be paper thin (being surpassed by 1 memory foam ones). I've never used the ones supplied, even in tight boots, but I guess everyone's different ... I also don't use stock laces.
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #304
rwsz

jinx not sure what the pain is coming from on your loop? dont push it and maybe you can find out by taking your time and thinking about each movement. inserts never mattered to me much, most of the time i used the ones that came with the boots but other times i have tried others when they wore out or the boot was a bit loose. a thicker one can make your boots too tight if they are already a tight fit.
Old December 13th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #305
Jinx

Quote:
jinx not sure what the pain is coming from on your loop? dont push it and maybe you can find out by taking your time and thinking about each movement. inserts never mattered to me much, most of the time i used the ones that came with the boots but other times i have tried others when they wore out or the boot was a bit loose. a thicker one can make your boots too tight if they are already a tight fit.
Actually i think the boot loosening up a bit more.. I am almost wondering if i should have gone regular and not wide, but then again i never tighten the laces down around my toes or anything so its probably open pretty wide becuase of that.. I wanted to break them in a bit more before i started doing that. but they aren't loose.. A few times i find that my heel does slide up and down just a tiny bit but i attribute this to my sweating and probably making it a little more loose in there.. then again i haven't had the boots for a week now, they were supposed to be here today but the USPS website is denying our delivery conf number saying its invalid.. I'm sick of them i swear..

I think what cuased the pain originally with the loop jump was that i didnt stretch that time, and went out probably just worked the muscle that wasnt' ready yet..
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #306
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Riedell Boot Lacing, and Insoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Actually i think the boot loosening up a bit more.. I am almost wondering if i should have gone regular and not wide, but then again i never tighten the laces down around my toes or anything so its probably open pretty wide becuase of that.. I wanted to break them in a bit more before i started doing that. but they aren't loose.. A few times i find that my heel does slide up and down just a tiny bit but i attribute this to my sweating and probably making it a little more loose in there.. then again i haven't had the boots for a week now, they were supposed to be here today but the USPS website is denying our delivery conf number saying its invalid.. I'm sick of them i swear..

I think what cuased the pain originally with the loop jump was that i didnt stretch that time, and went out probably just worked the muscle that wasnt' ready yet..
Just wondering if you received the instruction booklet from Riedell? They specifically tell you the way to lace your boots. If you can get your index finger underneath the bottom laces - they are too loose. If you can move the bottom of your foot from side to side - they are too loose.

One night after a session, I lost the stock insole of my left boot. I replaced it with a molded one; not too thin, or thick. It will help with your heel slipping problem. I'm certain you need a size 8. Here's the link: http://www.riedellskatebuys.com/rimoinp.html
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #307
rwsz

Quote:

gee i hope you have your receipt for the mail and had some insurance on them. just lace them up a bit more and wear thicker socks or new insoles.
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #308
Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
Just wondering if you received the instruction booklet from Riedell? They specifically tell you the way to lace your boots. If you can get your index finger underneath the bottom laces - they are too loose. If you can move the bottom of your foot from side to side - they are too loose.

One night after a session, I lost the stock insole of my left boot. I replaced it with a molded one; not too thin, or thick. It will help with your heel slipping problem. I'm certain you need a size 8. Here's the link: http://www.riedellskatebuys.com/rimoinp.html

Wait, I can buy size 8 inserts for a size 8 1/2 boot? the riedell stick itself put me over a size 8 my toes were touching the 8 1/2 on the stick, so i'd be afriad to get a size 8.... unless you're saying the size of the insert can be smaller than the boot?

I've never tried to put a finger under the strings, so you're saying if i try my hardest but still can get a finger under there its too lose? or is it a 'try lightly to put a finger under those strings?" and i was using Edea's lacing guide as so many people seem to really like it here.. (lace loosely near the toes and tight near the bend in your foot to force the heel back into the boot).. I'm not saying that is right, just what i've been doing.. I will definately try to lace them a bit tighter around my toes, the reason i dont, is cuz i did that right when i got them, and was getting some major cramping and tiredness in my feet, so i started to leave that area around my toes looser.. Now its been so long since i've skated in them i cant even remember if my feet can move side to side in there..
Old December 13th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #309
rwsz

Quote:
Wait, I can buy size 8 inserts for a size 8 1/2 boot? the riedell stick itself put me over a size 8 my toes were touching the 8 1/2 on the stick, so i'd be afriad to get a size 8.... unless you're saying the size of the insert can be smaller than the boot?

I've never tried to put a finger under the strings, so you're saying if i try my hardest but still can get a finger under there its too lose? or is it a 'try lightly to put a finger under those strings?" and i was using Edea's lacing guide as so many people seem to really like it here.. (lace loosely near the toes and tight near the bend in your foot to force the heel back into the boot).. I'm not saying that is right, just what i've been doing.. I will definately try to lace them a bit tighter around my toes, the reason i dont, is cuz i did that right when i got them, and was getting some major cramping and tiredness in my feet, so i started to leave that area around my toes looser.. Now its been so long since i've skated in them i cant even remember if my feet can move side to side in there..
lace them so they fit right and are comfortable, different for everybody. my son barely laced his or tied them right lol.
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #310
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:

Jinx, the insoles don't come in 1/2 sizes. A size 9 would have to be trimmed, the 8 is perfect for your 8 1/2 boot. As to the laces, you don't want them so tight you are cramped, but I think if you can easily slip a finger under the bottom laces, they are too loose.

As much as possible, a boot should feel like a second-skin, fit like a glove. Just not so tight you have cramping.
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #311
Jinx

Got the skates today! headed up and man.. spent 6 HOURS on them, my legs and feet are dead.. I think the issue with my toes on pivots is gone now, or way way way better.. I think the countersinking fixed it (after so many hours on them, there is pain in all areas of my foot but I do not believe it's from hardware anymore, just standing up in these things all day).. Hopefully the countersinking doesnt hurt the integrity of the boot..

getting back onto these was wierd again i wasn't used to how twitchy they were.. but i started to settle in after a half an hour or so.. So i can start practicing again!

My mapes still sucks. I'm still toe waltzing it.. I did attempt some Salchows i'm not sure how i do, i have videos i took of myself but i gotta edit them down and put them up... and my loop jump still needs more work. I really really need to work on not letting my head lead my jumps, every single jump just about, my heas is turning first before the rest of my body its really aggrivating me, but i never feel myself doing it, i only see it on the replays and i think i'm also dropping my left shoulder or raising my right shoulder.. gotta fix that.

but all in all it was good to be back on them again.. i'll take a picture of the counter-sunk hardware too. It's a good job.. a good many hours skated, good falls.. good landings (most of my better stuff was done early on, as my body got more exhausted I was doing less good).

As squirely as they are right now, i'm glad to have them back.. Still need to probably get 4 Panthers though as sometimes these wheels will slip a little unexpectedly (probably how i get away with my loop jump since i land a few degree's short of a 360 but my skate kind of slides into position.

I tightened the laces around my toes al ittle more thsi time, you cannot easily get a finger under those last laces, but you can pry it in there.. Any tighter and my feet start to cramp.. this gives them a loose/snug feeling (right on the borderland).
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #312
rwsz

jinx sounds like things are going better,,,,,dont kill your legs or feet with that many hours,,,too much.
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #313
Jinx

Quote:
jinx sounds like things are going better,,,,,dont kill your legs or feet with that many hours,,,too much.

I only did it becuase I was given 2 hours of free rink time by myself completely.. I couldn't pass it up, and it was right after the artistic club was done (I was skating there) and then right before adult night began, which i also skate! But boy am i sore today! good stuff thought!

Here's the videos..

My mapes is still being cheated.. Toe waltzing it... I really need to work on it.. on a very few of them I actually tried putting my left foot down to the right of my right foot so way more back than normal, that was tough for me..

I really never had any love for the sal chow but i was attempting it here a few times.. I used to be pretty bad about putting my toe stop down either right in the beginning before the pivot or midway into the pivot, I think i've corrected that, but i have no height and feel akward doing this jump... But I understand its pretty important, so i'm forcing myself to learn it even tho its my least favorite right now..

My loop jump isn't much better yet, But i've started added a tiny bit more speed to it as I knew i was rolling pretty slow before. My brain is always afriad to add any speed into the equation, so even tho my rotation isn't much better, I feel good i'm attempting it with a little bit more roll now.

The last few jumps are just me doing waltz jumps trying to get a little higher.. Not succeeding much..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GgHSi-rLcI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5flmqPPBDro
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #314
rwsz

ok Jinx i see why you skated so long now, thats cool they gave you 2 hours between art club and session, most places dont do that.

still the biggest problem i see on your mapes is you open your left side before toeing off. keep that L until you toe and dont turn, jump.

on the salchow you tend to spin on the toe before taking off, try not using the toe stop on the single sal, use the inner edge and take off. sal isnt that bad of a jump to be honest, like everything else it takes time and practice. your free leg will help you rotate it and give you power bye bringing it up and into your body for rotation.

the loop is still your best jump, i guess like the flip and lutz its just harder to cheat lol. good luck, glad the boots are feeling better and i bet you are sore today.
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #315
Jinx

Quote:
ok Jinx i see why you skated so long now, thats cool they gave you 2 hours between art club and session, most places dont do that.

still the biggest problem i see on your mapes is you open your left side before toeing off. keep that L until you toe and dont turn, jump.

on the salchow you tend to spin on the toe before taking off, try not using the toe stop on the single sal, use the inner edge and take off. sal isnt that bad of a jump to be honest, like everything else it takes time and practice. your free leg will help you rotate it and give you power bye bringing it up and into your body for rotation.

the loop is still your best jump, i guess like the flip and lutz its just harder to cheat lol. good luck, glad the boots are feeling better and i bet you are sore today.

Thank you for your good eye R I appreciate all your comments.. Do you have any tips or drills to help me fix my cheating Mapes? I realy try not too but my body overrides my brain sometimes..

So on the sal chow, are you saying i should almost try not to even use the toe stop at all??

And question, Is the loop jump on on an right foot outside edge? or should I be taking off completely straight footed with no edges?

Yeah I sort of work there on saturdays helping teach new skaters how to skate , but its not a 'legit job' i just help out and get free admission to adult skates, but sometimes the manager is very nice to me (once in every few months) and lets me skate the floor for an hour or two before a session starts if nothing else is going on
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #316
rwsz

Quote:
Thank you for your good eye R I appreciate all your comments.. Do you have any tips or drills to help me fix my cheating Mapes? I realy try not too but my body overrides my brain sometimes..

So on the sal chow, are you saying i should almost try not to even use the toe stop at all??

And question, Is the loop jump on on an right foot outside edge? or should I be taking off completely straight footed with no edges?

Yeah I sort of work there on saturdays helping teach new skaters how to skate , but its not a 'legit job' i just help out and get free admission to adult skates, but sometimes the manager is very nice to me (once in every few months) and lets me skate the floor for an hour or two before a session starts if nothing else is going on
maybe try the mapes thinking about steps, keeping L intact, reaching back, toe off without breaking the L, then rotate after toe off.

the loop should be as flat as possible but most skaters if not all skaters use an outer edge a bit.

yes on the salchow on a single try not using a toe stop at all, on a double you can do either or, on a triple almost have to use toe stop although it can be done without it at all.

good luck.
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #317
Jinx

Quote:
maybe try the mapes thinking about steps, keeping L intact, reaching back, toe off without breaking the L, then rotate after toe off.

the loop should be as flat as possible but most skaters if not all skaters use an outer edge a bit.

yes on the salchow on a single try not using a toe stop at all, on a double you can do either or, on a triple almost have to use toe stop although it can be done without it at all.

good luck.

Okay Thanks I will do, I think thats my biggest problem is i still cannot rotate after launch, i rely on getting my spin/rotation as i'm leaving the ground which is also probably what cuases my right shoulder to go up, my head to turn first before any other part of my body, and other bad habbits i'm doing wrong.. this is my blocker right now I think, is rotating correctly and/or after i have left the ground.
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #318
rwsz

Quote:
Okay Thanks I will do, I think thats my biggest problem is i still cannot rotate after launch, i rely on getting my spin/rotation as i'm leaving the ground which is also probably what cuases my right shoulder to go up, my head to turn first before any other part of my body, and other bad habbits i'm doing wrong.. this is my blocker right now I think, is rotating correctly and/or after i have left the ground.
the worst thing to do is get a bad habit, it is so so hard to break so try to do things right from the beginning, makes the more difficult items easier later.
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #319
Jinx

Quote:
the worst thing to do is get a bad habit, it is so so hard to break so try to do things right from the beginning, makes the more difficult items easier later.

I'll try to correct it, i just dont know how yet
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #320
rwsz

Quote:
I'll try to correct it, i just dont know how yet
ask skaters, watch videos,,,think things out,,,,,get coaching lol