S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 20th, 2017, 02:19 PM   #1
Ancient1

Default Looking to start building my new skates

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning my new skates. Since I am type 2 diabetic and very over weight I have decided to drop my weight and I have a trigger point where I will get my new setup. It may take a year so I am about to budget for it. I am doing very good on my new life style. No added sugar and low sugar foods are now my norm and it isn't a problem. Weight is slowly coming down as is my weight so it's time to start my plan. Also when I am at the right weight I will be on medicare to take care of broken bones

I would like to get ideas from my friends out there in the skating universe. I am looking for a boot that is strong and flexible for freestyle. I have my favorite choice but want to know what active skaters think, especially Larry and Aaron who have tried a lot of variations of boots and plates and wheels. Others are welcome to chime in and I would like to hear from everyone.

My preference is: Riedell 297 Professional.

My other considerations: Edea Fly and Edea Ritmo. How flexible and durable are they?

---- I want my weight to be down to 200 lbs or less before I size my boots. My ideal skating weight is 175 lbs. But at my age I doubt I will get below 180 lbs, so 200 is the max I can weigh before sizing them. I can resize new boots at 180 later. But at 200 lbs down to 170 lbs, my plates should match fit the way I figure it. -----

Also I am curious about the Riedell 172 OG Rhythm. What can I say, I love high top and in this case sky top boots.

**** bearings ****
I also am looking for bearings with a metal band holding the bearings in the raceway. I found that the nylon bands holding the bearings give too much and flex too much and can cause a drastic slow down. These were the observations from my previous come back. These will be mainly for jumps and spins.

**** wheels ****
I loved the Bones 101a, but they stick too much. I need something much more slick. I do a lot of slides such as hockey stops, ice stops and T stops, so I need the extra slide and not get flats. I am not sure the 103's will be slick enough. They will go on to my Snyder Super Deluxe.

**** Plate ****
I am planning on using my old Super Deluxe plates if they will fit the new boots and if so I will have them refurbished. If they don't fit the new boots then I will buy new Super Deluxe. I tried the Advantage and they did everything great but I just did not feel as secure on them as I did on the super deluxe. I grew up on the super deluxe and my muscle memory was set on those plates. So I will go back to the tried and true. That much is set for me.
Old December 20th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #2
Ancient1

My original competition boots were the Riedell 220 from the 1970's and they were good but I have no desire to break a pair of those in again, that is why I am looking at the 297 (even at double the cost).

I really miss my fafnir bearings, or even the old cheap Japan bearings.
Old December 20th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #3
Slinkydog

I skated in a heavily broken in 297 before transitioning to an Edea Fly for freestyle, and the first few days were painful before I learned not to bend my ankle so much!
If you're used to a 297 and switch to a Fly, be warned that the Fly is MUCH more stiff.
This isn't a bad thing at all, just something I really had to adjust to...
The Fly and other Edea boots seem to be much more structurally durable (and lighter!) than leather boots, but when you fall and slide you do a good bit more cosmetic damage to it...
If you're set on a Snyder Super Deluxe and end up getting an Edea boot, make sure it'll mount properly to the boot, my coach said he had problems with Atlas plate positioning on Edea boots. I don't know exactly what the problem was, or if Snyder has the same problem, but just make sure it will work!
For bearings, Roll-Line advertises that their bearings are strong and won't flex/deform, but I have no idea if that is true or not, I weigh 140 and haven't ever had bearings do that to me.
This may sound silly, but if you want to do slides and spins, I wonder if Fo-Mac wheels would work....
Doing hockey stops in artistic wheels is probably not good for avoiding flats, especially when you're dealing with Roll-Line wheels that flat all the time regardless.
The only artistic wheels I can think of that might work are the bones 103s, MAYBE the Roll-Line Leopard, the hardest freestyle wheel they make (they flat though), or some older wheels like super hard Rannali wheels.
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 01:11 AM   #4
Ancient1

Hi Slinkydog,

Thanks for your knowledge on the boots. I do not desire stiff boots, so I guess EDEA is out of the question.

I do have some fomac freestyle wheels but they stuck too much with the modern floor coatings. Maybe when I drop my weight down it will be better.
When I competed those stops were incorporated in my footwork, but the construction of the wheels back then were very different.

thanks for the info on the bearings also.
Old December 21st, 2017, 03:10 AM   #5
larryoracing

Smile Hey Jim, great to hear you post!

Dear Jim (The Ancient One),

Glad to hear you are getting back on your feet. Me and my new friend have been playing around with the freestyle and it has been going very well, but I take it slow and easy. And so should you.

I’m 5’6” tall and weigh 154.4 lbs. After two beers I decided to weigh myself and was surprised by the low weight. I’m 62 years old. So life is good. I skate every day, 7 days a week and many times up two 4-5 hours in a practice session which is basically by myself…lol! Life is good and God is good to me.

I buy a lot of old skates so have many Fafnir bearings. Maybe I can send you a set, but the Bones, non-ceramic bearings are good, but I think they have the nylon insert and not a steel cage that hold the bearings in place.

Also Roll Line sells a cheap bearing for 75.00 dollars, but I’m not sure about the inserts. I think I bought a pair, but I think the cage which holds the bearings in place are plastic. Again, I would be glad to send you a set of Fafnirs when the time comes, for free. Maybe you can pay for shipping…lol!
Nobody likes the spacers between the wheels. I use them all the time. Point closed…lol!

Boots. I bought some used Ice Fly. Too, weak, not enough support. I don’t like them. Maybe new boots might be OK, but I doubt it. I like stiff boots and have skated on stiff boots all my life for Freestyle. Dance and figures are something else and I skate on the shortest boot for dance and the Boot I have for figures is considered a Dance boot, SP Teri, Silver Star which I lace only ½ way up…lol!

I bought some Donald Jackson Freestyle boots made for doing quadruples. Way too stiff. I’m skating on the EDEA Concerto boot and it is really stiff. But I want a boot that is stiff. I don’t think I would like a softer boot like the 297. Many people skate on them. I think it is a broken ankle waiting to happen. Enough said.

Wheels. I skate on the hardest, 57mm, 97A Hardness Roll Line Freestyle wheel. It works very well for me. Just enough grip for jumping and slippery enough to do my spins. I don’t have a Camel yet. I’m just working on Upright spins and some semi sit spins, OB, IB and OF.

Like I said I have a lot of Fafnir bearings. 8 ball, 7 ball, but I think I’m skating on the Bones, non-ceramic, with spacers between the bearings. My personal preference.

The plate I’m skating on is a Roll Line Energy. I think it is a short mount. I should be using a 165mm for a 275 Edea Boot, but I’m running a 160mm. I got a good deal on them and they seem to work OK, but they are probably a little short. Ok for now. I have a 165mm, Roll Line Matrix plate when the time comes when I think I’m getting serious about freestyle...lol! It just sitting in the box, along with some EDEA Piano boots I bought. Not to mention I have a pair of Titanium, Synder Royal, Plates/45 degree trucks, that I wanted to try for freestyle, but never mounted up.

On jumps I’m working on my Double mapes. Don’t got it yet. A little short…maybe 1.75 revolutions. Work on doing 2-3 loop jumps in series/combination…loop, loop…loop.

Having been throwing axels off skates, but have not attemped one on skates. Do all the single rotation jumps.

Good Luck, buddy…

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 03:53 AM   #6
Ancient1

Hi Larry,
Wow that's a lot to take in. I am 5'10 and 277 lbs right now. I was on and off diets but just decided to make a change in what I am eating. Lots of veggies, some meats some nuts, lots of water and no sweets. Even my coffee is totally black, no sugar and no creamer. I'm actually enjoying my food this way believe it or not. Slowly dropping weight and not hungry at all.

I will be happy to take you up on your offer for some fafnir bearings when I am ready to get sized for my boots, with the understanding that I will pay you for them and the shipping. No exceptions on this...

Other than my strength I know I can still do all of my singles. I was so surprised that I was able to do a single mapes at 310 lbs, but it was stupid for me to try. I also have to be on medicare to handle any broken bones. I have no fear of jumping and I know I can break something, but I have no fear other than being able to pay for it. Right now being retired but not eligible for medicare, I don't have insurance.

Wow! good on the jumps. Please take vids and post them where we can see. I wish I had vids of when I was doing all my jumps. But I am sure you saw the horrible single mapes I did at 310 lbs when I started back skating. I posted it a few times.

3 Loops in a row. Not bad. I was able to do almost 30 in a row (NO LIE). I had to go very fast to get it started and the corners really slowed me down so I had to get that first straight away with at least 10. My last few were almost at a complete stand still.

Please show vids of your freestyle.
Old December 21st, 2017, 03:58 AM   #7
Ancient1

Larry,
For boots, I like flexible. I get some heavy edges with my footwork and I need the flex at the ankles and also for my sit spins. My previous gold star were so stiff I couldn't even toe point. My ankles will be strong enough to handle the stress. So I will stick with the 297 Professional.

Thanks
Old December 21st, 2017, 11:37 AM   #8
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Larry,
For boots, I like flexible. I get some heavy edges with my footwork and I need the flex at the ankles and also for my sit spins. My previous gold star were so stiff I couldn't even toe point. My ankles will be strong enough to handle the stress. So I will stick with the 297 Professional.

Thanks
either get the 297 or the new lower cut 336s I think, I don't or haven't use a fly but a lot of people like them as they overcome the stiffness. see if u can try on a pair. I think the fafairs are the way to go also, nice of Larry. your right u wouldn't like the new 220s as they are much stiffer then ever and probably equal to old gold stars or even royals, not sure about the wheels for you though.
Old December 21st, 2017, 02:35 PM   #9
markwphoto

Hi Jim,

(Long post, skip to the summary if you want. :-)

I got back into skating just over two years ago at the age of 39 (now 41). I first started skating when I turned 18 and picked it up fairly quickly. I skated competition until I was about 26 and stopped. I'm 5'5" and when I skated in my youth I was a lean, 130 lbs. After I stopped skating I got up to 185lbs. When I saw how much I gained and just felt like crap all the time I knew I had to do something about it.

When I decided to diet, I wanted a diet that didn't restrict you to being on diet. As funny as it sounds I didn't want to be on anything that required me to count calories, weigh food, etc. On my own and much like you, I just simply cut sugar and carbs and ate meat, vegetables, nuts and the occasional fruit. I also try to avoid processed, packaged food. I drink my coffee black, water with lemon juice and tea. Later on I found out the way I ate was pretty much a Keto diet. I have had more energy and stamina since eating like this. I lost 40 lbs in about 9 months and I've kept it off. I've had more cheat days in the past few months, eating carbs and sugar, but I haven't reverted back to the way I used to eat and I'm still dropping weight but slower. My goal is to get down to and maintain 140 and I'm only 3 lbs away from that and I've been maintaining around 145. If you keep eating the way you are now you'll lose the weight without even trying!

I did ride a road bike about 3-5 times a week increasing my miles each week. I did this for cardio in addition to skating. Last October I rode a century (100 miles) on my own and I didn't bonk out. In fact I felt great the next day! Biking really help me get my stamina back and heart into shape. I don't bike as much now since I'm skating more but I still enjoy a good 20-50 mile ride when I can.

As for skating I mainly skate freestyle, figures and I just started doing loops. I have all my single jumps and working on cleaning up my doubles and and axel. I'm starting to get consistent with each practice.

Now for the question at hand about gear:

My first pair of quads were given to my by first coach. They were Reidell 220's I believe. I don't recall what plate and wheels were on them but they served the purpose at the time to get me started.

One of the other coaches at my rink was a Risport salesman and distributor so I went to her shop to try them out. I loved my Risport boots at the time and ending up with a Diamante for my Freestyle skates, and 3 Super Cristallos that went on my figure, inline and ice skates (don't skate ice much but wanted a good boot when I did).

On my Diamonte freestyle skates I used an Atlas Freestyle plate with Roll-line's original Mustangs. Roll-Line just started getting popular and the other coach at my rink had just started selling them as well. My original Mustang wheels were indestructible. I still have them and they grips like crazy. Bearing where Bones Swiss.

On my figures skates, which I still use today, I use an Atlas Figure plate with Star HD 85 wheels. I still love these wheels, they grip when you need them and slide when you want them. I have been skating on my original set for over 20 years. They have no flats and roll for days!

This past year I've had a bit of troubles with my Risport Diamonte. It was started to feel cramped in the toe box, mostly on my left foot, especially around the big toe. Strangely I didn't have any issues with my Super Cristallo setups. I also started looking into different plates and wheel setups. The rink I skate at has a really tight floor and my original mustangs were gripping way too much. I got set of Roll-Line Leopards and they slid way too much and they were easy to flat. I then got a new set of Mustangs which were good but I still had issues spinning on our tight floor. I ending up mixing a few Leopards in with my Mustangs and found a good sweet spot for spinning and gripping.

Back in March I replaced my plate with Roll-Line Mistral, which is the same design as the Energy but cost less. The Energy plate cost more because it weighs less but the weight savings was enough for me to justify the extra cost. I love the Mistral plate. I feel like it wants to skate straight all the time but responsive on turns when you need it. For me this is good for my jumps because I tend to roll out straighter vs when I had my Atlas.

At Nationals I ended up trying on an Edea Fly and bought it on the spot. It felt great. They custom heat molded it for me while I was there so I had a bit more room where I was having issues with my toe. I've had no complaints on my toe since then. Like Slinkydog said the Fly's are stiff! They are the stiffest freestyle boots I've every tried on but... to me they are stiff where you need them to be! The tongue is super padded and you can flex really good forwards/backwards, which is what you need for low sit spins. They are stiff on the left and right sides so you ankles don't roll much at all. I'm sure this will save an ankle sprain/break. It took me a little while to get used to it but now I keep telling myself why did I wait so long to switch! I also agree that they are easier to get cosmetic damages compared to leather boots. Aside from that I love them.

Summary

Riedell: I don't think I would own another one granted I haven't tried anything other than the 220's. They were too soft and the heel sat a bit lower than the Risport boots and I felt better spinning on the higher heel. FYI Edea has the same heel height as the Risport and according the Edea rep, one of the former designer/owners for Risport now works for Edea. My has a Riedell boot on her dance skates and after skating in Edea for figures she's ready to switch as well.

Risport: Served me well for the time I used it but I feel Risports can be too narrow for American feet, this coming from someone with a narrow foot! I still have my Super Cristallo on my figures but I may end up replacing it next year with another Edea boot if I go back to Nationals next year.

Edea: Great boot that fits like a warm glove. It's very easy to break in and comfortable to skate on for long periods of time. Sometimes I don't even want to take my skates off.

Atlas: Of course they are no longer around and one of the other reasons I looked at switching plates as it is getting harder to find replacement parts.

Roll-Line Plates: I'm digging the Mistral and think I'll replace my figure plate next year as well. My foot is almost the same size as my wife and I tried on her Edea Suano with a Variant M plate and I liked how it felt (although my feet were cramped in her slightly smaller boot).

Wheels: Mixed on this one: The newer formula Roll-Line wheels are easier to flat. My original mustangs are still great but grip too much for me. The newer ones grip less than my original Mustangs but they also flat and wear out a lot easier. I guess it goes to say they don't make them like they used to. Still love my Star HD85. My wife keeps wanting to steel my wheels! I would like to try some other wheel brands but I'm in no rush for it. Maybe next year at Nationals.

Bearings: I used Bones Swiss on my Diamonte setup but wore them out. I ended replacing all of my bearing in all of my skates except for my figures as they still roll for days. I just use Bones Reds. I keep them clean and they have plenty enough roll for me on freestyle and freestyle inlines.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 05:26 PM   #10
Ancient1

Hi Rick,
I'll keep the 336 in mind. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
either get the 297 or the new lower cut 336s I think, I don't or haven't use a fly but a lot of people like them as they overcome the stiffness. see if u can try on a pair. I think the fafairs are the way to go also, nice of Larry. your right u wouldn't like the new 220s as they are much stiffer then ever and probably equal to old gold stars or even royals, not sure about the wheels for you though.
Old December 21st, 2017, 05:35 PM   #11
Ancient1

Hi Mark,
I did read everything. I appreciate that writeup. Just a note: I really don't have a cheat day but my wife and I do go out for a lunch every 2 weeks and we try to stay away from burgers and fries and soda's. Hollidays are the only given day we eat mashed taters, but again no sweets and we restrict the volume of food and no sugar drinks. But V8 is a nice addition once in awhile. We only allow mustard on meats if we have an sauce at all, else we eat the meat plain. It really sounds boring, but in reality it isn't.

I started around age 16, similar to you (late teens). Stopped around age 29 and was out of skating for such a long time. I miss it with a passion...

I think I am going with the 297 with a consideration of the 336 tribute. I have a wide foot to go along with my wide body. It seems to fit. But thanks for the info on those boots.
Old December 21st, 2017, 05:53 PM   #12
Ancient1

I do have an additional question. I have just measured my foot myself for Reidell boots and maybe someone who is good at sizing can give some help.

my toe hits EXACTLY ON (not a smidgin more or less... no exaggeration on this)
and I mean exactly on the Mens 9.5 size line on the Riedell size chart for my length, and that is with me standing with weight on my foot.

My concern is if they make the boot a millimeter less than the say I think my toes will be cramped. Should I be concerned about being exactly on the line for that size? Should I go up to a Riedell size 10 or stick with the Reidell size 9.5?

My other issue is the Riedell to Snyder Plate chart. The chart says that either 9 or 9.5 Riedell boots should use a size 11 Snyder Plate.

Hmmm! Back when I was in Competition I had 9.5 Riedell 220 boots and I was using a Snyder Super Deluxe size 10 Plate (which I still have). That is a full size less than Snyder recommends according to the chart I saw.

Of course I was wearing a medium width and now I am a wide, which may change when I lose weight. Maybe I get a 9.5 boot and use my old plates which should give me my same balance point.

What are your thoughts?
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:23 AM   #13
rwsz

Quote:
I do have an additional question. I have just measured my foot myself for Reidell boots and maybe someone who is good at sizing can give some help.

my toe hits EXACTLY ON (not a smidgin more or less... no exaggeration on this)
and I mean exactly on the Mens 9.5 size line on the Riedell size chart for my length, and that is with me standing with weight on my foot.

My concern is if they make the boot a millimeter less than the say I think my toes will be cramped. Should I be concerned about being exactly on the line for that size? Should I go up to a Riedell size 10 or stick with the Reidell size 9.5?

My other issue is the Riedell to Snyder Plate chart. The chart says that either 9 or 9.5 Riedell boots should use a size 11 Snyder Plate.

Hmmm! Back when I was in Competition I had 9.5 Riedell 220 boots and I was using a Snyder Super Deluxe size 10 Plate (which I still have). That is a full size less than Snyder recommends according to the chart I saw.

Of course I was wearing a medium width and now I am a wide, which may change when I lose weight. Maybe I get a 9.5 boot and use my old plates which should give me my same balance point.

What are your thoughts?
The boot might stretch but also more narrow in the toes now. see if u can try on the 2 sizes first, maybe at a rink or used skate store. call riedell see what they say. I think u could still use the 10 plate, get new cushions. also with a half size u could if u get a 10 maybe a size 11 plate,,,,more or less how u prefer it just make sure front axles under the ball of the foot. if your 10s don't work for you u can always find a used Snyder and up a size to 11. good luck, the width wont matter on the size of the plate.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 09:18 PM   #14
Ancient1

Hi Rick,

If I were to get it today, this is what I have in real inches on length and width and then the Riedell boot size that my chart says and then my Snyder plate to boot callout.

Both Feet are within millimeters of each other in width: 10 and 13/16ths (rounded down 10 and 6/8ths). That charts out to at the tip of 9.5 size boot.

Hmmm! I see where I may have made a mistake originally. I have a little over an eighth of an inch before I would be sized to a 10 size boot. So I think a 9.5 size boot will do.

Someone please confirm that last paragraph size correction...

The width of my foot (using my foot size and not the boot size) is 10.25 tight inches at the widest part. That appears to put me between a medium and wide and if the 297 as able to be sized as a D then it would be a D.

So I am leaning toward an EE (wide). That would put me in a. 9.5 Med or Wide Riedell boot. I am leaning toward the 9.5 wide.

With that boot it puts me in a Snyder Super Deluxe plate of Size 11.

Let me know what you think.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 11:41 AM   #15
rwsz

Quote:
Hi Rick,

If I were to get it today, this is what I have in real inches on length and width and then the Riedell boot size that my chart says and then my Snyder plate to boot callout.

Both Feet are within millimeters of each other in width: 10 and 13/16ths (rounded down 10 and 6/8ths). That charts out to at the tip of 9.5 size boot.

Hmmm! I see where I may have made a mistake originally. I have a little over an eighth of an inch before I would be sized to a 10 size boot. So I think a 9.5 size boot will do.

Someone please confirm that last paragraph size correction...

The width of my foot (using my foot size and not the boot size) is 10.25 tight inches at the widest part. That appears to put me between a medium and wide and if the 297 as able to be sized as a D then it would be a D.

So I am leaning toward an EE (wide). That would put me in a. 9.5 Med or Wide Riedell boot. I am leaning toward the 9.5 wide.

With that boot it puts me in a Snyder Super Deluxe plate of Size 11.

Let me know what you think.
I think you are close but without trying on for the toes not sure,,,really if you can try it on first it would be good. the plate depends on whether or not u want larger for landing jumps or quicker action for dance, could go either way 10 or 11. try your current plate first without mounding it lay it on the boot and see what you think for the front axle under the ball of the foot and where the back of the plate ends up on the heel. you can always find a used Snyder plate on facebook skate page or ebay in an 11 I think. good luck
Old December 23rd, 2017, 04:29 PM   #16
Ancient1

Hi Rick,
Good idea's. I planned on going through Connies Skate Place and buy from them and have them mount them also.

Connies have a fit before buy but it does cost $30, but I think it is worth it.

I wonder if I can get a plate exchange/growth upgrade that Snyder use to offer. I don't know if they still offer it. I am not even sure if my plates will qualify even if they do. Everything works and works well, no drilling on it, but I did have a truck hanger break off after a jump. It sheered the rivets. I had the hanger reinstalled and new rivets put in. This was done in Colorado Springs Skate City several decades ago. Because of that I don't know if they would except a change from my 10's to 11's. I sent an email to Connies to see if they know before I send an email to (I think it is) suregrip.

Quote:
I think you are close but without trying on for the toes not sure,,,really if you can try it on first it would be good. the plate depends on whether or not u want larger for landing jumps or quicker action for dance, could go either way 10 or 11. try your current plate first without mounding it lay it on the boot and see what you think for the front axle under the ball of the foot and where the back of the plate ends up on the heel. you can always find a used Snyder plate on facebook skate page or ebay in an 11 I think. good luck
Old December 24th, 2017, 11:59 AM   #17
rwsz

Quote:
Hi Rick,
Good idea's. I planned on going through Connies Skate Place and buy from them and have them mount them also.

Connies have a fit before buy but it does cost $30, but I think it is worth it.

I wonder if I can get a plate exchange/growth upgrade that Snyder use to offer. I don't know if they still offer it. I am not even sure if my plates will qualify even if they do. Everything works and works well, no drilling on it, but I did have a truck hanger break off after a jump. It sheered the rivets. I had the hanger reinstalled and new rivets put in. This was done in Colorado Springs Skate City several decades ago. Because of that I don't know if they would except a change from my 10's to 11's. I sent an email to Connies to see if they know before I send an email to (I think it is) suregrip.
ok that's good not sure where the cheapest place to get boots or plates anymore. I don't think Snyder has the exchange plate offer anymore but wont hurt to check. good idea to try boots first for the $30.
Old December 24th, 2017, 01:12 PM   #18
Ancient1

Hi Rick,
Connies is selling the 297 Professional for about $420.

I talked to Jody at Connies and he said that he would check with Sure Grip Snyder department to see if I can get the trade up. He said he would get back to me on Tuesday after Christmas.

I am not worried. If they won't do the trade up then I will just buy another pair of plates. Heck I am due for a new pair of super deluxe plates.

Rick, I appreciate your input. It really helps.

Quote:
ok that's good not sure where the cheapest place to get boots or plates anymore. I don't think Snyder has the exchange plate offer anymore but wont hurt to check. good idea to try boots first for the $30.
Old December 24th, 2017, 04:39 PM   #19
Sir Aaron

I could write pages and pages on skates having tried on a ton myself. I recently switched both of my daughters and myself completely to Edea (as an aside my oldest won 5 medals at Nationals this year and is a national champion in team and free dance). Edea are so inexpensive that it just made sense.

Edea are built on an entirely different premise than traditional boots. They are made from mostly synthetic materials and designed to be firm on the sides but allow bend forward (which is critical for dance). The heel is slightly higher but to me it felt like being in high heels (not that I have any experience in high heels).

I transitioned to Edea from custom Riedells. My oldest transitioned to Edea from 297s and other Riedells skates (she has 4 pair of skates). She really liked her 297s. Personally I’d recommend custom since you can pick and choose your features. A guy at my rink just had custom Riedells based on my recommendation and had them built like 297s. He loves them. They replaced a very old pair or 297s.

You can get sized for Riedells at an ice shop. The sizing for an ice boot and roller boots will be the same. Try them on would be the best bet.

I think you’d like a boani plate over a Snyder. The important size is the axle distance placement. The front axle needs to be under the ball of the foot. Maybe even a tiny bit forward. The back axle should be under the heel. That best determines the proper size although your preferences still have a place in your decision.

If you give Jody my name and ask him for my discount you can get like 15% off.

Aaron
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #20
Sir Aaron

I really want to try a set of Fafnir bearings. I skate on all ceramic. They work well at first but then ultimately have to be sent back for repair.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote