S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old December 28th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #1
Stormi
Join the Quad Squad!

Default Why do so few skaters wear protective pads?

I wonder about this every time I'm at the rink. I know indoor falls are not as bad as outdoor falls, but people get hurt all the time at the rink. One adult female fell and broke her wrist. I have skated on and off for years, I have never fallen except as a kid when I was learning, but I always wear at least wrist guards, and generally wear knee pads as well. My kids have to wear knee and wrist minimum, my 5 year old who can't skate too well yet has elbow pads as well, and a helmet. My two boys were made to wear helmets when they learnt as well.
I don't understand why if this protection is available, nobody uses it? The rink has a box of all types of pads free of charge to use, yet nobody does. I had two adult beginner friends come to the rink one day, and i made them use at least wristguards.
So why is this? Does looking "cool" outweigh preventing injuries?
Stormi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #2
Wetdog

I wear knee pads under my jeans, elbow pads under my hoody sweat shirt and also wrist guards everytime I skate at the rink. I am often one of the more experienced skaters at the rink (which doesnt say much) and usually the only one wearing any protective gear with the exception of a few small kids.

I will not skate without the gear and always wear a helmet when skating the streets. I like being able to get up and go to work in the morning! I also do not understand why more folks don't use the gear, it's fun to be able to jump back up and keep skating after a wipe out.
Wetdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #3
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
I wear knee pads under my jeans, elbow pads under my hoody sweat shirt and also wrist guards everytime I skate at the rink. I am often one of the more experienced skaters at the rink (which doesnt say much) and usually the only one wearing any protective gear with the exception of a few small kids.

I will not skate without the gear and always wear a helmet when skating the streets. I like being able to get up and go to work in the morning! I also do not understand why more folks don't use the gear, it's fun to be able to jump back up and keep skating after a wipe out.
Just keep in mind you can break a wrist even with the wrist guards. Many wrist breaks from skating or from going stright down, the guards don't help. their best use is to slide on to save your hand. There is a right way and a wrong way to fall with the gear on.
The same goes for with out the gear, right way and wrong way, but a different way then with the gear.
As for jumping up and still skating, speed skaters do it all the time with no gear. When they do get hurt bad it is seldom something the gear would stop.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't wear it, just learn how to use it.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #4
speedysktr
President of Everything

I will merely add that any injury received despite gear would generally have been worse without. Gear is no guarantee against injury, but certainly helps prevent some. Preventing some is better than preventing none, yes? Unless of course there is some penalty for wearing safety equipment. Is there?

Last edited by speedysktr; December 28th, 2010 at 03:24 PM.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Skatervideoguy

Hi Stormi,

Kudos to you for your safety practices and your observation.

I'll likely get "Flamed" for my comments, but I'm a bit older - and and would like to see as many folks as possible get to my age and still be able skate as much as I do.

In my decades of skating, at many many Rinks, I've had the misfortune of seeing hundreds - if not a few thousand - injuries. Most minor, but more than enough serious ones. Since the advent of Rinks using either coated concrete or asphalt surfaces - the severity and number of injuries has increased. The older some-what cushioned and slicker wood floors of the 40's, 50's and 60's had some slide and bounce to them - not so for concrete or asphalt. YOU absorb all the fall energy on those floors.

Now the smaller and younger you are - the less damage you're likely to get - but injuries (damage) tends to be cumulative.

So, in answer to you question of "Why do so few skaters wear protective pads ?" my observations are:
1) sheer Ignorance of the Risk (Rinks - nor anyone else - seem educate folks about the Risks of falling),
2) for those who "get it" - understand the Risks, then it would seem simple Stupidity might be the option - along with a big dose of Machismo. Folks seem to believe they can take the "hit" - until they can't. I won't get into the argument of "social pressures" as I believe we are each responsible to make our own choices for our personal safety. Sadly, it seems many folks don't do that so well at Skating Rinks.

Like Wetdog, I wear the Knee and Elbo pads, but also I also wear Hip and Tail Bone pads - and I've worn most of this for decades now. With my size, 6'4"/ 210 lbs, and age 60+, they're the primary reason I can still skate - and most likely walk. Skate floors like to "reach out and touch me" - much more than I like to touch them.

Like slowsk8 and speedysktr say, the protective gear won't prevent all injuries, but will certainly reduce the risk or intensity of injuries. I will certainly vouch for their effectiveness.

Harold
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormi View Post
I don't understand why if this protection is available, nobody uses it?
Yeah, it's just not cool. I mean, the police have to enforce laws requiring people to wear seatbelts, and I can't imagine NOT wearing a seatbelt. I see kooks riding motorcycles without helmets, and I can't imagine that either.

As for me, I can't imagine skating session without wristguards. Who needs a broken wrist? I believe that my wristguards have saved me a LOT of pain.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #7
skaterdog

It's not socially acceptable. Folks who wear helmets for speed practice ditch them for session skating.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #8
Stormi
Join the Quad Squad!

I should have said that the pads minimize injuries. I know you can still injure yourself and it's all about the correct way to fall. It's funny how for speed training (which my 11 year old has recently started) that it's compulsory to wear a helmet, yet they don't enforce wearing of protective stuff at any other training or sessions.
Makes me think about rinks public liability insurance. There are maybe 3 rinks left in my state in Australia. My local one reopened 18 months ago, due to the fact that they own the property rather than rent it. Most closed because of rent and insurance. Surely insurance would be cheaper if they made it compulsory to wear protective gear?
We often skate at the park on the cement basketball court. The kids fall onto their knee pads quite often, and get back up straight away with no injury. My son fell several weeks ago doing a jump or turn or something, and landed on a part of his arm with no pads and scraped off a fair bit of his arm which bled quite a bit. I can only imagine what their knees would look like with no knee pads.
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #9
40yearslater

Hyperextension of the wrist, when falling even at a slow speed can really mess up your wrist.

Scaphoid/navicular fracture:
Broke mine back in my 20s, playing frisbee, and was in a cast from the second knuckle to halfway between elbow and shoulder for nearly 2 years. Wasn't back to normal for over three years.

Yeeow....I always wear wrist guards, with that time frame for healing, (and learning how to fall), it's worth the difference.
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #10
Dec8rSk8r

I do wear volleyball kneepads, and I know I should probably wear wrist and elbow pads, but it does feel more restrictive. I tried wearing wrist and elbow pads last weekend and had to take them back off because they were bothering me.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:43 AM   #11
rinkraptor

Protective gear in an indoor rink for casual skating ? HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA !
OK when initially learning/practicing radical stuff like freestyle jumps, flips, etc. though......
rinkraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #12
speedysktr
President of Everything

Default well, there ya go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkraptor View Post
Protective gear in an indoor rink for casual skating ?
HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA ! ......
...icing on the cake, hmm? Perfect example of why so many choose not to wear stuff. Sometimes all it takes is one jackass to make people feel self conscious about their skill level and appearance. Whether the jackass is on a messageboard or at the rink, doesn't matter. Is it the jackass' fault that people react that way? Nope. That's their choice, but thank you jackass, your natural gift has helped make a valid point.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Stormi
Join the Quad Squad!

Quote:
Protective gear in an indoor rink for casual skating ? HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA !
OK when initially learning/practicing radical stuff like freestyle jumps, flips, etc. though......
Maybe you've had too many bumps to the head?

Seriously, today at the general session (which admittedly was an under 13's session, I was skating there with my kids), there were two injuries that resulted in kids being carried off by parents and staff members. One fell backwards and slammed his head on the floor quite bad and had to be carried off. But it was good to see today a lot more kids with at least wrist guards on, and also parents setting examples and skating with pads.
My original post pertained more to beginners who were constantly falling all over the place. I mean, if I was starting some sort of sport or activity that meant I spent every 30 seconds sprawled on the floor after falling over, I'd be wearing whatever padding I could get. Plus as you get older, you don't "bounce" as well as you once did when you fell, and adults have further to fall than kids
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #14
JohnS

Quote:
while im not a heavy "pro-protective gear" person, if someone chooses to its their choice. i have seen plenty of skaters, of varying skill levels, wearing padding in a general session at a skate rink, dont think any less of them, it is a personal choice, and things can go wrong.

have to agree with speedysktr on his description of you here.

nb: as much as i am not all "you must wear all padding at all times", nor am i against wearing it if you so choose/feel you need to.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #15
topcarbon

I wont leave the house without a helmet when riding/skating.

The last thing I want to have happen is for me to be involved in n accident and sustain a preventable injury to my head.
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #16
MachV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormi View Post
I wonder about this every time I'm at the rink. I know indoor falls are not as bad as outdoor falls, but people get hurt all the time at the rink. One adult female fell and broke her wrist. I have skated on and off for years, I have never fallen except as a kid when I was learning, but I always wear at least wrist guards, and generally wear knee pads as well. My kids have to wear knee and wrist minimum, my 5 year old who can't skate too well yet has elbow pads as well, and a helmet. My two boys were made to wear helmets when they learnt as well.
I don't understand why if this protection is available, nobody uses it? The rink has a box of all types of pads free of charge to use, yet nobody does. I had two adult beginner friends come to the rink one day, and i made them use at least wristguards.

The answer is "THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME."

That's why people drink & drive or text while driving, get in/ out of a car when pumping gas, ride motorcycles without hements. Yada, yada, yada.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #17
RedHeadRoller
Bone Breaker

I regret not wearing wrist guards. My entire family is going to be wearing them right along with me. My husband has fallen a couple of times and hurt his wrist and after spending several thousand dollars (even with insurance) to pay for pins to be drilled into my arm to hold it together after a backwards skate fall, he's pretty well supportive of the idea.

I'm amazed at how many people fall the same way and get the same long lasting, extremely painful injuries and still don't wear the protective gear.

If i could just get used to the idea of wearing knee pads I'd wear them. I'm recovering from having back to back knee surgeries over the past 2 months where my knee caps were put back in line by cutting the thigh muscle and reattaching it. It's been a horribly painful recovery (the surgery was not due to injury but congenital defects needing to be surgically fixed) and I don't think i could withstand the pain of falling on the tender area.

I don't think I'll ever be able to skate the same way again after watching what was done to my knees during surgery. I can't justify messing them up by a bad skate fall.
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #18
oel

2 years ago I had a bad fall on asphalt track and landed on my shoulder. I ended up with a torn tendon; could not even lift up my arm initially. There was no visible bruises on the shoulder. After 6 months of extremely painful weekly physiotherapy sessions, I finally recovered and started skating again.

Last week, I was hit by a cyclist from behind. The force sent both of us flying and we both laid on the asphalt track. This time the impact was even greater and my same shoulder (same spot) has visible bruises. Fortunately, apart from a little soreness on the shoulder area the next day, I did not suffer any injury.

The difference is that I was 25kg (55lbs) lighter this second time round. I weighted 98kg 2 years ago and only 73kg now. My lighter frame produces a smaller impact during the recent fall compared to the 1st incident. The debate on whether bone density has anything to do with how one falls is immaterial. You cannot change your bone structure but you certainly can change how much fat you have. So folks, shed some weight and get fit.

Oh did I mention I wore full protection both times (in fact every time I skate), i.e., helmet, wrist, elbow and knee guard.
oel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #19
Machine

As someone who's spent many years roadracing motorcycles and now races Formula 1 sidecars on the National circuit... I have spent quite a bit of time breakdancing down strips of asphalt at triple digit speeds.

In nearly every single instance save one I was able to pop up once I stopped sliding bow to the crowd, and moonwalk off the track unscathed thanks to the amazing amount of high-tech safety gear I was wearing at the time. 2500 dollar CE armored leathers, Carbon/Kevlar gauntlet length armored gloves, armored articulated boots, Neck to tailbone articulated hard-armor spine/rib/kidney protection, Carbon/Kevlar helmet with CE lining.

When I first started skating over a year ago one of the first things I knew this was something I was going to get serious about. So I bought good gear. And I wear it. Not just at practice, bouts, and scrims... But when I go to free skates I armor up as well. That means full knee/elbow/wrist gear, and throwing on my lid.

If there are no other derby people at the rink I might be the only person out there with a helmet on for the session. But the -only- time I've fallen and smacked the back of my head was at a free skate, lightly concussing myself in the process even with the helmet on.

I never go to the rink planning to fall, but it's nice to know that if it happens I'm dressed for it.
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #20
JohnS

if your wearing the wrist guards that brace your wrist (eg. solid plastic on the front and the back). all it does is send all the force from the fall, through both bones just above the end of the bracing, and will break both of them with very high consistency. a small fracture of one bone at the wrist area is alot smaller problem than breaking both bones higher in the forearm. this wont happen on a lighter/slower fall, but if your skating at a decent pace etc, its going to really do damage. it has been posted before: http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...65&postcount=4

if you want to wear protection for your wrist, the best and safest style of padding u should grab is a 'slider', it is almost only a glove, that has a hard plastic pad where the palm and wrist join, and has lower friction, meaning it causes you to slide out, that was its just decellerating your fall.

after i broke my wrist the last time, the specialist actually said had i been wearing wrist guards, i'd of been in much more serious trouble. i didnt need pins, but had i been wearing wrist guards, pins would have likely not done all that much.

if your going to wear wrist protection, be VERY careful with the style of padding you choose. but that said, wrist injuries can be completely avoided very easily, just DONT THROW YOUR HANDS OUT FIRST WHEN YOU FALL!!! put your arm out and land more on your forearm or roll with your arms tucked in. hand first is always going to cause a problem, padding/protection or not.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote