S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 21st, 2018, 01:44 AM   #1
netplaceus
David

Default Drunk and or stoned in the skating rink?

I'm curious to see how other people feel about this topic. I honestly don't know if it's a problem. I have nothing against pot or booze, but it does not seem like a good idea in the rink.

Here in california grass is legal now and outside some rinks it's now smoke city. Some rinks more than others for sure.

But more surprising (and concerning), at least to me, my home rink (Epic Rollertainment) sells hard liquor. Yep, you can roll right up and get yourself a 7&7 or white russian, whatever! Actually, I like Epic a lot, great place to skate, never had any problems, awesome food! I guess people are responsible or lucky or something!

But it just seems weird you can do that. Is this just a california thing?
How do you guys feel about pot or booze in the rink? I guess there is no rule or law against it and they just figure why not sell liquor too?
Old March 21st, 2018, 02:08 AM   #2
Skatervideoguy

Hi netplaceus,

I've only been to a couple of Rinks that did that. My 60+ years of Skating experience lead me to suggest that Skating is always best done Stone Cold Sober. Any drugs that impair your Balance, Eye Sight, and Thinking ability just don't help one Skate. I've been around many folks who were imbibed or imbibing, and everyone of them was a worse Skater for doing it. Some were a Damn Site more friendly, but always worse Skaters, and more dangerous to themselves and others - much the same as Driving while impaired on either of those Drugs.

I consider encouraging or selling either in a Rink Setting to be just Plain Stupid.

I like the idea of having everyone learn to Skate as best they can and as Safely as possible. Being Drug Impaired just doesn't get you there.

Harold
Old March 21st, 2018, 02:15 AM   #3
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Hi netplaceus,

I've only been to a couple of Rinks that did that. My 60+ years of Skating experience lead me to suggest that Skating is always best done Stone Cold Sober. Any drugs that impair your Balance, Eye Sight, and Thinking ability just don't help one Skate. I've been around many folks who were imbibed or imbibing, and everyone of them was a worse Skater for doing it. Some were a Damn Site more friendly, but always worse Skaters, and more dangerous to themselves and others - much the same as Driving while impaired on either of those Drugs.

I consider encouraging or selling either in a Rink Setting to be just Plain Stupid.

I like the idea of having everyone learn to Skate as best they can and as Safely as possible. Being Drug Impaired just doesn't get you there.

Harold
Thanks, I feel exactly the same way. I have not had any problems with others yet, but then again how would I even know? It's kind of scary to me,
not comfortable with it at all.
Old March 21st, 2018, 02:35 AM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Interesting topic..... a lot of angles to consider.

On the plus side, if a person of little or no skill falls, and is nicely drunk, they will be more relaxed when they hit the ground. Less likely to get injured. On the minus side, they may fall more.

A less happy scenario is 10 guys that have a little speed, not too much control, made brave, or just plain stupid, by booze. LOTS of falling and running into people.

Back in 2011, before I started taking Nitric Oxide for inflammation, my arthritis in my knees was terrible. I'd mix a drink of 4 shots of Rum and Coke, drink most in the parking lot, and bring whatever was left in. I'd be pretty buzzed, and the pain would dim. No negative effects for me. No falling or running into people. Haven't had a drunk session for some time. Should do one soon.

I guess, like most things, it depends on the situation. 15 moderately drunk people out of 50 would not be too bad. But 25 very drunk people out of 50 might not be too great.

Being that I mostly skate backward, I have developed a very good floor sense. Knowing where people are and where they are going. Going backward, I look backward to see where I am going. But I also see what is behind me. This translates to forward as well. When I am going forward, I turn around and look back to know what may be coming my way. All of that to say, if there are drunk or otherwise unsafe/reckless skaters about, I can keep a good eye on them. I imagine a person who cannot speed up/slow down/turn well would be less amused by reckless/drunk skaters.
Old March 21st, 2018, 03:26 AM   #5
Skatervideoguy

Hi rufusprime99,

Quote:
On the plus side, if a person of little or no skill falls, and is nicely drunk, they will be more relaxed when they hit the ground. Less likely to get injured. On the minus side, they may fall more.
Seen that a lot. Trick there is that usually causes lots of others to Fall if you've got any sized crowd.

Early 70's, Rink I worked in Pittsburg, Ks. had College Parties. Usually had many students "Buzzed" and lots of falling and crashing into each other. One nite a girl Slammed her Face into a wall and flattened her Nose onto her Face. Wasn't Pretty.

You really need All Your Systems Functioning Properly to be Skating as best You Can. Skating can Hurt you bad enough when you're Sober. Seen just about every Bone you can possibly Break over the last 60+ years, many times over, not to mention all the Damaged Joints.

Anything that you take that Impairs you, can Really get You Impaired !

Harold
Old March 21st, 2018, 03:48 AM   #6
Oicusk82huh

I go to several rinks that have bars.
Never seems to make any difference.
Seems counterintuitive, right? Not sure why.
There is usually a bar crowd too, but not on skates, they socialize with each other and watch the skaters dance.

As for pot...it will probably make you more cautious. Skating is a drug anyway.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 05:07 AM   #7
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post

Early 70's, Rink I worked in Pittsburg, Ks. had College Parties. Usually had many students "Buzzed" and lots of falling and crashing into each other.
Hey Skatervideoguy.

Haven't had a drunk group of college students in a while. One group of about 25, guys and girls, were pretty smashed. Wednesday night at Holiday is not too crowded, but it felt crowded with them on the floor. Some of the average skill regulars were put off by them. I just had to keep my eyes open. Worst problem was the guys getting aggressive with each other over the attentions of some of the various girls there. LOL One of the drunk girls was pretty friendly with me. Luckily, that did not net me any aggressive attention.
Old March 21st, 2018, 07:40 AM   #8
netplaceus
David

I have to admit it does not seem to be a problem, at least that I know of.
It may be that people are careful or skate slow in the center or something.
I have taken some good falls in my time, personally, I am not going to do anything that would increase my chances.
Old March 21st, 2018, 07:55 AM   #9
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Being that I mostly skate backward, I have developed a very good floor sense. Knowing where people are and where they are going. Going backward, I look backward to see where I am going. But I also see what is behind me. This translates to forward as well. When I am going forward, I turn around and look back to know what may be coming my way. All of that to say, if there are drunk or otherwise unsafe/reckless skaters about, I can keep a good eye on them. I imagine a person who cannot speed up/slow down/turn well would be less amused by reckless/drunk skaters.
Rexers really are the best at avoiding trouble. I recently started looking back when I skate forward myself. It's a really a good habit I think, that and watching for newbies, inline skates, and dropped junk on the floor.
Old March 21st, 2018, 01:27 PM   #10
Skatervideoguy

Hi rufusprime99 & netplaceus,

Quote:
Going backward, I look backward to see where I am going. But I also see what is behind me. This translates to forward as well. When I am going forward, I turn around and look back to know what may be coming my way. All of that to say, if there are drunk or otherwise unsafe/reckless skaters about, I can keep a good eye on them.
Quote:
I recently started looking back when I skate forward myself. It's a really a good habit I think, that and watching for newbies, inline skates, and dropped junk on the floor.
AMEN to that ! Best to have your Head on a Swivel to catch all those issues.

This is All Exacerbated by Rinks that Run their Lights Too Low for easy Visability, their Sound so Loud that folks can't Hear to Talk or Hear Warnings, and those who don't keep their Floor's Properly Cleaned. Doing any One of these is Dangerous enough, Rinks that do All these things at once are Really Crazy.

Harold
Old March 21st, 2018, 08:34 PM   #11
Iggy
DGS Racing

A friend of mine back in the day used to shuffle skate better with he was drunk and/or high. He was good to begin with, but I guess whatever he had in him loosened him up even more.

Of course he did almost throw up Bacardi Razz on me at the rink one night.....
Old March 23rd, 2018, 12:15 AM   #12
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

I have a difficult time seeing how a rink that serves alcohol can maintain insurance. Helluva liability.
When I was a teenybopper the party always happened after skating.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 01:25 PM   #13
quantoo

Default A little bits ok

Though i dont do it myself i was talking to a couple of guys that get stoned and really enjoy skating more when they are high.
Most people that know me think im mad enough straight or bent enough straight {not in a queer way of course}
I had 1 beer an hour before skating tonight and didnt notice to much.
I got tripped over buy a tiny chinese kid and hurt my knee .Then i get head onned by an islander girl that was skating in the wrong direction and she poked me in the eye.
But overall i had one of the best nights of skating.
I dont recomend skating drunk because ive seen many people hurt themselves when drunk.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 02:06 PM   #14
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
Then i get head onned by an islander girl that was skating in the wrong direction and she poked me in the eye.
Ugh. Hate wrong way skaters. I am usually going backward. When I look over my shoulder to see where I am going, I am expecting to see people going the same direction as me, or possibly cutting across my path. The very second I turn around and see someone coming at me is a SHOCK to the system. Hate it. I have to say, I haven't had a crash going backward with a person going the wrong way. But the very thought of it. Ugh.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 02:59 PM   #15
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
I have a difficult time seeing how a rink that serves alcohol can maintain insurance. Helluva liability.
They have you sign a waiver form prior to entering.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2018, 08:30 AM   #16
PRFunky

Default I'm going to bend this topic up a bit...

I have a suspicion that some people who are not regular
skaters showed up at a retro skate where I go every month.
They didn't spend long on the floor and I have a feeling that
their inabilities were a bit of a buzz-kill for them. Not really
sure if I saw crying or not...

Another time, at a different place there was a guy out on the
floor who just couldn't stop from falling down all the time. He
sure tried his arse off but was quite a clown. I helped him back
up once but when I realized it was drug or alchy induced, I
ignored him as much as possible. I found him to be a nuissance
on the level of misbehaved children at skating.

Now, speaking of children... it is often that cell phone usage,
especially texting while driving is compared to being drug or
drunk impaired. Witnessing all the kids who have their cell
phones out texting on the skate floor not paying attention to
what the F they are doing, all I say to myself is,
"Tomorrow's drivers today!"

I don't even like to eat at roller skating places. And it's not
because the pizza is so bad (it is). I go for a workout as well
as my entertainment. Somehow, eating at the place seems
counterproductive. Typically, I only ingest water at a skating
place. Once in awhile, if I'm really getting a big workout in,
I'll spend the moolah for the slushie if they have that awesome
strawberry banana one. I'm a smoker (cigarettes, not greenery)
but I don't smoke at all for the entirety of a session which would
require me to take my skates off and go outside. At one place,
that isn't even an option as they ban smoking anywhere on their
property. So, I'm a smoker only when I'm not skating. Sure would
like to skate more. If I could skate all the time, I probably wouldn't
smoke at all but, there's this thing about having to go to work to
make the money for MORE SKATING!

I have absolutely no desire to do drugs or drink alcohol before
during or after skating. Yes, as a previous poster pointed out,
skating IS the high.

Last edited by PRFunky; March 24th, 2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typo/misspelling
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2018, 07:09 PM   #17
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
I don't know either. But my guess is cause and effect would be impossible to prove and trying to prove it would make one look really stupid and irresponsible in the eyes of the law. I'm sure they ran it by their lawyers first. But, yes, it still seem weird to me to.
Old March 24th, 2018, 08:15 PM   #18
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRFunky View Post
I have a suspicion that some people who are not regular
skaters showed up at a retro skate where I go every month.
They didn't spend long on the floor and I have a feeling that
their inabilities were a bit of a buzz-kill for them. Not really
sure if I saw crying or not...

Another time, at a different place there was a guy out on the
floor who just couldn't stop from falling down all the time. He
sure tried his arse off but was quite a clown. I helped him back
up once but when I realized it was drug or alchy induced, I
ignored him as much as possible. I found him to be a nuissance
on the level of misbehaved children at skating.

Now, speaking of children... it is often that cell phone usage,
especially texting while driving is compared to being drug or
drunk impaired. Witnessing all the kids who have their cell
phones out texting on the skate floor not paying attention to
what the F they are doing, all I say to myself is,
"Tomorrow's drivers today!"

I don't even like to eat at roller skating places. And it's not
because the pizza is so bad (it is). I go for a workout as well
as my entertainment. Somehow, eating at the place seems
counterproductive. Typically, I only ingest water at a skating
place. Once in awhile, if I'm really getting a big workout in,
I'll spend the moolah for the slushie if they have that awesome
strawberry banana one. I'm a smoker (cigarettes, not greenery)
but I don't smoke at all for the entirety of a session which would
require me to take my skates off and go outside. At one place,
that isn't even an option as they ban smoking anywhere on their
property. So, I'm a smoker only when I'm not skating. Sure would
like to skate more. If I could skate all the time, I probably wouldn't
smoke at all but, there's this thing about having to go to work to
make the money for MORE SKATING!

I have absolutely no desire to do drugs or drink alcohol before
during or after skating. Yes, as a previous poster pointed out,
skating IS the high.
You make some really interesting points. Texting while skating? I thought too this would be a problem. Don't know about all ages skate nights, but adult night does not seem to be a problem. Like the unbalanced newbie, I just assume the texting skater is a higher risk at that moment and skate accordingly, almost everyone with experience does the same thing. I hate skating with young children, scary!

I think subconsciously many of us have developed an amazing and very complex threat assessment program that runs in our brains to avoid crashes, falls. I find it fascinating (and surprising) it works as well as it does!
Old March 24th, 2018, 11:47 PM   #19
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
I think subconsciously many of us have developed an amazing and very complex threat assessment program that runs in our brains to avoid crashes, falls. I find it fascinating (and surprising) it works as well as it does!
....Or consciously, we develop our threat assessment program. And BOY, did I need it last night. A thick crowd of clumsy folk. That is what is wrong with young Americans these days. They want things MADE safe for them. Last night, *I* made things safe for me. Or as safe as I could. I have to call it a success, as I did not go down and dodged 3 pretty good chances of going down. On the one hand, dumb risks are dumb risks. (drunk/stoned skating) But it gives us the opportunity to hone our defensive instincts. We came from the jungles, and a dog eat dog existence. We have the ability to fend for ourselves. Gotta exercise it now and then.
Old March 25th, 2018, 01:58 AM   #20
ursle
Street Skater

So, two out of every three people on the planet are addicted to drugs and or alcohol, pretending otherwise is repression, or "religion".

Alcohol of course is a drug, we are what we eat.

Moderation in all things.

So let's invest in prisons and fill them, the VP is.

And let's teach "ignorance". religion instead of science, That's a good idea, and let's privitize public schools, Devos is.

And let's eliminate the EPA, smog, burning rivers, Flint Michigan, great.

Or, we could socially eliminate the problems that make people want to obfuscate.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote