S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 15th, 2018, 06:54 AM   #21
maltoch

the "old" route are very similar to the classic k....
they are supposed to be 78a and i checked the durometer with a tool but feel harder.
they hare very very heavy compared to others and the exterior lip doesn't help at all....

the advantage of a round exterior lip....like cruise, hawaii k, new route or zombies is that it gives a sort of final push when your push on your legs ....

like i alxays say....the frictiin sound of the wheels on the floor, generally asphalt ....gives a good indication of the urethane quality anf globally about the wheel.

there is a lot of myths in my opinion....zombies are for me, too heavy and poor rebound, velocity race has no rebound like ther radar flyer.sims snake are small and not too large and urethane isn't excellent.

i understand more people who like vintage wheels like roardrunner, tom peterson, krypto project 2, hyper strada, and the vanguard....because they are design for a good result....
for the modern wheels, except new route...,the rest is a little bit poor quality.

i think the uretane quality is sometime the problem but the design is excelleent too.

for me a good wheel should be with a krpyto roadrunne, project 2 or vanguard hub with a a cruise or nex route design in 80a and 72mm.....

compare the vanguad wuth roadrunner....the same hub but vangard has a very small lip...in facr, a krypto project 2 in 70mm....
maltoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 06:57 AM   #22
BigFoot

I would be interested to hear how you like the Krypto Classic 85mm when you get around to trying them. Me thinks the large diameter would give a luxury ride, good for long cruises. Just not sure if they are side set. I can't find any photos of the back side of the wheel or specs/description about this. You might have to do some trimming.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 12:14 PM   #23
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I would be interested to hear how you like the Krypto Classic 85mm when you get around to trying them. Me thinks the large diameter would give a luxury ride, good for long cruises. Just not sure if they are side set. I can't find any photos of the back side of the wheel or specs/description about this. You might have to do some trimming.
I could not either. But,,,,,, I have a lathe! I want smooth ride and fun cruising around, more than speed at this point.
Old February 15th, 2018, 12:17 PM   #24
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoch View Post
the "old" route are very similar to the classic k....
they are supposed to be 78a and i checked the durometer with a tool but feel harder.
they hare very very heavy compared to others and the exterior lip doesn't help at all....

the advantage of a round exterior lip....like cruise, hawaii k, new route or zombies is that it gives a sort of final push when your push on your legs ....

like i alxays say....the frictiin sound of the wheels on the floor, generally asphalt ....gives a good indication of the urethane quality anf globally about the wheel.

there is a lot of myths in my opinion....zombies are for me, too heavy and poor rebound, velocity race has no rebound like ther radar flyer.sims snake are small and not too large and urethane isn't excellent.

i understand more people who like vintage wheels like roardrunner, tom peterson, krypto project 2, hyper strada, and the vanguard....because they are design for a good result....
for the modern wheels, except new route...,the rest is a little bit poor quality.

i think the uretane quality is sometime the problem but the design is excelleent too.

for me a good wheel should be with a krpyto roadrunne, project 2 or vanguard hub with a a cruise or nex route design in 80a and 72mm.....

compare the vanguad wuth roadrunner....the same hub but vangard has a very small lip...in facr, a krypto project 2 in 70mm....
I need to get some wheel weight data soon. Still wheels are being shipped in. As the project moves on and I cut some wheels down, I'll know about weights more.
Later on I may get into faster wheels for more speed.
Old February 18th, 2018, 01:22 AM   #25
fierocious1

Default Skated the 76mm Zombie Hawgs at the rink today.

The weight is there, but the larger wheels roll pretty good. I would have thought they would have bogged me down and slowed quickly. But surprisingly, the roll was decent. I skated them on my long frame skates. I shimmed 2 times on the trucks. They work ok. Probably better outdoors. Traction indoors was stupid sticky! Wish I could have found these in 88a.
Old February 18th, 2018, 02:32 AM   #26
fierocious1

Default Recieved the 85mm Krypto wheels

They are big BUT, the backside radius going to the tread is ridiculous. Major waste of the tread, It narrows the contract patch a lot. If you are going to cut the outside face to reduce weight, that works but doesn't increase the contract patch at all. Maybe I am looking at this wrong, maybe the narrow contact patch helps roll. I don't know, but to gain contact patch, you are going to have to cut the wheel down a to probably 80mm or less to get some of it back.
Possible this works for softer wheels. I have read that the bigger the radius the easier it is to slide the wheels. Is it due to the narrowing of the patch or the radius? I'll have to roll them as soon as the other 4 wheels show up. Backset hub looks good, Soon the fun begins. If you face the outside of the wheel to nearly flush with the hub, the tread left is supported 100%. Then cut the wheel down to app 80mm, the unsupported urethane is going to be gone. Then put a small radius on the outside edge, call it done.

A smaller wheel(70mm) for a track as per Maltoch's recommendations would be great. Reduce weight as much as possible for racing, smaller wheels. I ran over some trash on the floor today, the 76mms..... just laughed and laughed.... said it tickled..
Old February 18th, 2018, 03:20 PM   #27
maltoch

my new route slides better when i brake than roadrunner.
roud edge are better for corners, stop, rear skating...you can take more angle...

when i stop fast, krypto aren't progressive...
Old February 25th, 2018, 02:52 PM   #28
fierocious1

Last week I tried out the Zombie Hawgs on my long frame skates. No issues and I was impressed with the roll at the rink. But, they are heavy. This weekend I swapped off my DA45 flip truck to standard DA45 truck so I could test Zombies and 85mm wheels on my regular session skates.
Again, roll on both was good in the rink. But, wheel bite bigtime. Bite now due to the front axle being further back than my long plate. Both sets of wheels were heavy. The kryptos formula was a slight bit slippery on the rink floor.
To run either of these wheels, I need to space my boots away from the plate the same amount as half the wheel height difference compared to a 63mm that I normally use. 85mm, raise the boot app 1/2".
The 85mm, need the tread and sides cut down. Cut the tread down enough to remove most of the back radius. Then cut the face back almost to the hub. Leave enough material at the face side to be able to make a small radius without loosing tread width.
The Zombies just need a little face weight removed then they will work great for a cruising around outdoor wheel. Again some lifting of the boot to prevent bite. Probably 1/4" on these. Not a big deal on my setup.
So now I will be building up a pair of skates that will be using the spacers to adapt my 165mm mount inline boots to my 195mm mount frames. Be warned, the boots are FUGLY!
Old February 25th, 2018, 05:42 PM   #29
maltoch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Yxnnk5btA

just for fun....like you see...they don't slide very wheel and rear skating is hard because there is no round edge so i can't do a smaller circle....and outside temp is 2°celsius...very cold.

i played with my 16 years old kid...it s him who did the video and used the software.

i choosed the music...all we are...warlocks.

i hope peoole will enjoy...job on the vid is good in my opinion and we don't see too many quad skaters wheels....

i will try to do anothe with the new route.
Old February 25th, 2018, 09:02 PM   #30
fierocious1

Quote:

just for fun....like you see...they don't slide very wheel and rear skating is hard because there is no round edge so i can't do a smaller circle....and outside temp is 2°celsius...very cold.

i played with my 16 years old kid...it s him who did the video and used the software.

i choosed the music...all we are...warlocks.

i hope peoole will enjoy...job on the vid is good in my opinion and we don't see too many quad skaters wheels....

i will try to do anothe with the new route.
Good video. I read some stuff on making a cutting tool for retreading and cutting wheels today and made one in about 20 minutes. Installed my arbor, checked and set center(4 jaw Independant chuck) and played for about 30 minutes on junk wheels. It cut very nicely. I just have to reset my feed(change gears out). Antique Logan lathe with a Var speed DC drive and 90v motor.
My other skate projects are stalled now, the weather is bad and has messed up all my outdoor work.
Old February 26th, 2018, 12:16 AM   #31
fierocious1

test cuts. https://flic.kr/p/23jusRr
Old February 26th, 2018, 10:29 AM   #32
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Default Dikers

Quote:

just for fun....like you see..
On your uTube stream it says "dikers plates". We just call them 'roller derby plates' ;p
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 01:29 PM   #33
maltoch

http://www.bordignonskates.com/sito/...s-star-b1.html

http://www.google.fr/search?q=dikers...w=1280&bih=800

dikers was a brand sold between 1990 en 2005 maybe in europe.
half of quad skaters in france had them.
2 models were produced , with or without brakes.
they are supposed to be artistic plates but we used them on outdoor.

boiani star b1 are the same...i ordered parts...just brand replace dikers...
Old February 26th, 2018, 01:38 PM   #34
maltoch

http://www.google.fr/search?biw=1280...4WSPBS7urvM%3D

http://www.google.fr/search?biw=1280...poFViVC95ts%3D

http://www.google.fr/search?q=platin...w=1280&bih=800

around 35 % used lazer plates...during the golden age of quad skate in france, they were sold in different designs for jump, speed....they were produced and sold only by and for hawaii surf...main shop of quad skate in france for quad skates.
now they only sell 1 model ...the millenium...rest of the plates they sold are base plate and roll line plates....take a look at their online shop.

and around 15 % used the fiberlite....poor fiber'quality...no truck settings...
Old March 11th, 2018, 03:36 AM   #35
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
The ride is very smooth but lacking clearance, I will be installing spacers between my frame and boot(very easy to do on my setup). Cusjions were a little too stiff and I needed to tune kickback a bit so skating them again tomorrow at the rink. 1 1/4" upper cushion stack, 1/2" app below the trucks.
Old March 12th, 2018, 02:02 AM   #36
fierocious1

Default Ran the 85mm wheels today!

Started out on the Zombie Hawgs, 75mm 84a. Surprised at the roll and the weight. They are heavy but can but trimmed quite a bit. The bearing spacing is wider than typical quad spacing so axle nuts are out at the end of threads. Nuts were tight though and usable. This was a combination test. I machined SA(7mm) trucks to test theories. After about 45 minutes of skating and tuning, the trucks came around and were working as predicted. Wheels were tested next. I added a 1/4" spacer to my al stock long frame plates for clearance purposes. These Powerslide boots have a little extra space or rise in the mounting, offsetting this rise the the axle height with the high profile SA trucks, so the 1/4" was needed. The longer wheelbase adds stability, cuts turn sharpness a little but gives a bit of clearance to the front wheels.
Smooth ride with decent roll on the Hawgs, heavy. Put on the 85mm wheels today to test too. Bearing spacing is nearly or seems to be the same as typical quad. But you will need to lift the boot or use a bar type plate so the wheels wont hit the plates.Decent roll but heavy. Both sets of wheels had crazy traction and awesome smooth rides.
Both sets of wheels weights can be lowered by quite a bit. Facing off both sets will cut a good percentage off. Cutting the tread down a bit to get the back radius corrected would take the 85mm to about 75mm or so. Both wheels have hubs so cut everything back almost to the hubs on both.
Impressed with roll but the weight had to go, pig wheels....
The combination of wheels and skates did about as expected. Looking to cut the 85mm wheels down soon and take them out on the road. I will post before and after weights.
I was really surprised at the roll of both on a skate rink floor.
https://flic.kr/p/256xXzk
Old March 12th, 2018, 08:22 AM   #37
maltoch

did you see the difference in urethane quality between hawgs and krypto.
the hawgs urethane seems more rugeous...not so smooth as krypto ...the touch and aspect by eye are different.

with a 70mm and more wheels...you will not obtain your max speed on skate rink floor....you need more space...outdoor test on a good asphalt will tell you more...
Old March 12th, 2018, 01:16 PM   #38
fierocious1

Quote:
did you see the difference in urethane quality between hawgs and krypto.
the hawgs urethane seems more rugeous...not so smooth as krypto ...the touch and aspect by eye are different.

with a 70mm and more wheels...you will not obtain your max speed on skate rink floor....you need more space...outdoor test on a good asphalt will tell you more...
The urethanes are different, both grip indoors well. Im not too concerned about the difference in urethane as much as the dimensions and excess weight. The Kryptos design may be good for skateboards but not so much for quad skating. Way too big of a radius on the back of the wheel. But these are made for outdoors so I will be trying them outside soon. If they were lighter, much faster speed would not be a problem. This makes me believe that Hebegebe's big wheels are probably the best for out door skating. Weight is a big issue. Cutting weight is a priority. Maybe someone will get it and produce a large wheel with large plastic hubs, thin low profile to save weight.

The skates I was on havent been set up just for outdoor yet. I could make good speed but not as fast as my session skates. Still testing some theories on push and caster for outdoors(more verticle stance).
Old March 12th, 2018, 11:51 PM   #39
maltoch

Old March 13th, 2018, 12:01 AM   #40
maltoch

krypto classic vs krypto old route (very similar, just bigger interior lip on route)vs new krpyto route vs krypto roadrunner vs velocity race...just to compare the desgin ...all are 70mm 78a except the new route....tested them with a-scale tool....more near 80a than 83a.

the exterior lip design of this new route give some extra final power like no others...the krpyto roadrunner has same perf in high speed because of its weight...but for the rest ...it's behind....i'm not so agile with it.

and bearings are speedmax abec 9 roll line....nylon style brown cage with 8 balls ...looks like a fafnir...but doubt it is as good.

like you see... i have an extra set of new route....i didn't order a second set if it was a bad wheel....if people are intrested in krpyto classic or velocity race (with special bearing )....send me another set of new krypto route and i will send him a set ....i keep the krypto roadrunner just for the myth...