S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 19th, 2018, 04:13 PM   #1
DJayhawk

Default Plate upgrade or DA45 conversion

So I have vintage pair of 122ís Iím trying to get into safe working condition. Would I be better off keeping the SA configuration and getting new kingpins, cushions? Or get the DA45 conversion kit? Or just get new plates? I donít really want sink a bunch of money into these because they are just for me keep practicing and learning how Roller Skate. The plates installed now are Sure Grip Invader.

Thanks
DJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2018, 06:23 PM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJayhawk View Post
So I have vintage pair of 122ís Iím trying to get into safe working condition. Would I be better off keeping the SA configuration and getting new kingpins, cushions? Or get the DA45 conversion kit? Or just get new plates? I donít really want sink a bunch of money into these because they are just for me keep practicing and learning how Roller Skate. The plates installed now are Sure Grip Invader.

Thanks
You will be shocked at how well those skates will perform with the DA45 conversion kit. Its like night and day, I originally bought sa invaders and the kit so I could do a back to back comparison. You will not be sorry.
Old March 20th, 2018, 12:54 AM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJayhawk View Post

Thanks

An S/A45 plate will have more action than a D/A45 plate, as a matter of fact, so much action that many describe them as squirrely, so if you learn to skate with an S/A 45, switching to a DA45 would be simple, you would find it much more stable.

If money is the question, and you have an S/A45 plate, simply putting on new cushions is all you need unless the king pins are bent or you have to destroy them to get them off.

Upgrading an S/A45 to a D/A45 with the kit available isn't a bad idea, get a few different durometers of cushions to try out, as you gain balance and experence you will find softer cushions are more fun, and skating is only about the fun.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 01:34 AM   #4
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

I have always skated S/A XK-4 plates. I like the responsiveness of the single action.
I tried a D/A 45 (Avenger).
Hated them, they are sitting in a box never to be skated on by me again.
Old March 20th, 2018, 08:04 AM   #5
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Convert!

Old March 20th, 2018, 12:52 PM   #6
fierocious1

I ran an experiment a couple of weeks ago on DA vs SA trucks. If a cushion is added to the bottom of the SA trucks, the skates will perform just like the DAs. But the trucks have to be machined to accept the cushions(7/8" vs "1) and clearance on bottom of the trucks for using cushions. Longer kingpins would have to be installed as well. The SAs can be tuned a lot like this. The thicker the lower cushion, the more they change and smooth out the handling( I ran up to 3/4" tall cushions).
Old March 23rd, 2018, 02:33 PM   #7
quantoo

Default convert here also

The single action is snappy and you have to be on the ball all the time unless you run hard suspension which defeats the purpose of a 45.
The da will take the edge off enough to let you relax a bit ,though you can run softer cushions and really make them turn predictably.If you know what im sayin?
Its a bargain at a little over $100 and not to forget adjustable ball pivots and delrin cups.The rubber and pivot pins suck in comparison
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2018, 08:42 PM   #8
AZSHOT

I'm using both. My Snyder Royals (about 45) for regular session skating and fast, sharp turns. A pair of XK-4 single action for speed. Putting them on a half hour before the speed event, is like putting water skis on. Very little turn-ability. But - I seem to get a better push, and go faster. Then last week I took my DA XK-4s that had seemed like dogs, and put the blue cushions in them. Big difference, much closer to the Royals (but not as good at all).

You really need to play with cushions....that's the ticket!
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 01:01 PM   #9
fierocious1

Default Did you

Upgrade?