S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2018, 12:46 AM   #1
netplaceus
David
 
netplaceus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 146
Default What is the coolest, longest, fastest technique to spin?

There are so many ways you can spin on your skates, but among the two foot
methods is there one that really stands out to be the best, most impressive, smoothest, fastest technique out there?

I was taught heel-toe (common one), but my spin is vanilla, ordinary, probably because I am not good at it. Almost every video I can find is heel-toe, no one talks about toe-toe.But there a few people at my home rink that do jaw dropping, OMG toe-toe spins. It seems (I really don't know) the people with the most amazing spins are done doing toe-toe. Is there anything to that or no?

What are the pros and cons of the toe-toe, heel-toe tequnics? Is one better than the other? Is Toe-toe harder to learn? Or is there another tequnics that is better altogether?
__________________
Boots: Riedell 297, Plate: R-L Energy, Wheels: R-L Panther Light 55MM 95A, Me: 165 lb, 6'2"
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 01:05 AM   #2
Skatervideoguy
Senior Member
 
Skatervideoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Olathe, Ks
Posts: 953
Default

Hi netplaceus,

Something like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgU0QVYAPZ8 And this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e3GUdjYAss

I've got a slew of different Spin styles there on my YouTube Channel in the different Vids I've taken at the WinnWood. As to what you should do, consider trying all the methods you can find. Which ever one you can Master the easiest is Likely the one you'll stay with long term. There are many different Body positions to try also - as you can see in the Videos.

BTW, being Taller is makes it tougher to learn to Spin or Jump. Center of Balance higher, and usually more weight to control. I'm 6'4", 6'9" on Skates, and 220lbs.

On those Stilt Skates in my Pic, I was 7' 9.5" tall. Spinning was a real Trip on those.

Harold
__________________
297's on Centurys, 220's on Snyder Advantage, BackSpin 95's, Bones 97's, 98's, 101A's, Skating 65+yrs & still Rollin at 71+. Great Lifetime Hobby to have !
Skatervideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 01:54 AM   #3
netplaceus
David
 
netplaceus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 146
Default

Thanks! Love the videos, just what I'm talking about! Thanks for the advice!
__________________
Boots: Riedell 297, Plate: R-L Energy, Wheels: R-L Panther Light 55MM 95A, Me: 165 lb, 6'2"
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
There are so many ways you can spin on your skates, but among the two foot
methods is there one that really stands out to be the best, most impressive, smoothest, fastest technique out there?

I was taught heel-toe (common one), but my spin is vanilla, ordinary, probably because I am not good at it. Almost every video I can find is heel-toe, no one talks about toe-toe.But there a few people at my home rink that do jaw dropping, OMG toe-toe spins. It seems (I really don't know) the people with the most amazing spins are done doing toe-toe. Is there anything to that or no?

What are the pros and cons of the toe-toe, heel-toe tequnics? Is one better than the other? Is Toe-toe harder to learn? Or is there another tequnics that is better altogether?
It’s easier to pump (continuing the spin using a pumping motion) using toe-toe. Pumping is cool, but it not “The Most Impressive” spin. I’m faster heel-toe due to a better center and upright postion.

My favorite is the one foot spin. I do an IB jsut to name it. I’m starting a OB as well, great center but so fast I fall out right away. My Jam buddy can get to one foot on toes from a reverse entry and does about 5 revs on one foot. I do an art entry and get about 4. My entry is far superior he’s just better (younger, more courageous, etc.j than I am. And I can’t quite do his entry (yet, I just get one rev cause I’m entring too cautiously). Still, I prefer the art entry to an IB off of a 3-turn.

Looking at JR competive skaters in just random videos (not the world champs) the art spin seems to get 7 or 8 on one foot (without pumping). I mean if your twice as good as me (as many people are).
__________________
- %___O
------ L
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 03:30 PM   #5
BigFoot
Member
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Spinning was a real Trip on those.
Hi Harold,

Do you have a video of you doing a spin on the stilt skates? That's wild, I'd like to see this. I searched your YouTube vids, no luck, and you have too many SLF posts to search for vid links.

Also, did you ever fall on stilt skates? That would be quite a slam. If so, did you try to do a "drop and roll" type of fall to spread out the impact? Did you get hurt?
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 04:10 PM   #6
Skatervideoguy
Senior Member
 
Skatervideoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Olathe, Ks
Posts: 953
Default

Hi BigFoot,

Sorry, No Videos. Never thought much about taking Vids of myself. Somewhere out there, some one may have some Vids, along with lots of other Photos. I've seen folks taking both thru the years, but folks never shared them with me.

I did Fall from time to time. Always seemed like "Slow Motion", and I tended to try to "Crumple" down. When I was first on them (In Lawrence, Ks) I did Fall over straight Backwards flat to the floor once. I managed to tuck my head, so I did not knock it. Scared the Crap out of me. That never happened again.

I rode them for about 27yrs, and retired them in Dec. 2001, after I retired at age 55. I would usually run my regular Skates for about 1/2 hr. to warm up, then go up on the Stilt Skates for up to an hour. I did that at least 1 to 2X a week, out of my 3 to 5X a week Skating. They were very strenuous to use - at 17.5" Tall and weighing 8.5 lbs per Skate, never mind just Skating on them, staying Vertical, and doing Footwork and Spins. I always wore Knee Pads, and Luckily never Injured myself using them. Can't say as much for my regular Skates.

Harold
__________________
297's on Centurys, 220's on Snyder Advantage, BackSpin 95's, Bones 97's, 98's, 101A's, Skating 65+yrs & still Rollin at 71+. Great Lifetime Hobby to have !
Skatervideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2018, 08:42 AM   #7
PRFunky
Member
 
PRFunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Hales Corners, WI USA
Posts: 37
Default toe-toe spin

Not that I can do this or anything but the best instructional
video I've seen is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD4TZIey4tE

This is very descriptive and fundamental, I believe. Hope it helps ya!
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2018, 06:53 PM   #8
netplaceus
David
 
netplaceus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRFunky View Post
Not that I can do this or anything but the best instructional
video I've seen is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD4TZIey4tE

This is very descriptive and fundamental, I believe. Hope it helps ya!
Funny, I just ran across that video today, yes, it is a one of the best. I can't spin like that either! But here is the thing:

Most everyone who tries to teach me this (unlike this girl) does not realize you MUST first learn (and have developed the strength and balance) to slate on your toes. My instructor told me If I want to master this technique I should forget about spinning with it for now and just learn to skate on my toes.

Skating around on your toes like she does in this video seemed almost inconceivable to me. But after many hours of practicing at home it is starting to happen! I now have the strength and balance to stand on my toes in place , roll around gently for a minute or more, but not skate around on my toes like she does. But, I'm getting close.

To anyone else who is trying to do the same same thing, hang in there! My feet hurt like crazy for the first weeks or so, I fell like 6 times, but I think I will get it in soon. It seems to be as much about strength (probably much more) as it is about balance.

I watch movies or the news and just try every few minutes to balance on my toes a little longer. This is my mini skating rink, it been priceless for learning stuff like this. I used to do it in the kitchen, but realized it was too dangerous.

If anyone has any has any additional tips for learning this, please do tell, I'm all ears!

__________________
Boots: Riedell 297, Plate: R-L Energy, Wheels: R-L Panther Light 55MM 95A, Me: 165 lb, 6'2"

Last edited by netplaceus; March 24th, 2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spell
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 05:20 AM   #9
PRFunky
Member
 
PRFunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Hales Corners, WI USA
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
...This is my mini skating rink, it been priceless for learning stuff like this. I used to do it in the kitchen, but realized it was too dangerous.
Now THAT is hilarious! I thought I was the only fanatic freak show to
do something like that...


Tried skating in the basement of my apartment building but doesn't work
out because I'm 6'1" tall and though I clear my head of everything down
there when walking or standing, it's just not the case when I've laced up
the extra height of skates to my feet ~ I would be smacking my head on
the pipes constantly if I didn't watch where I was going.

So, I bought this flooring on eBay. I want to say it's really some form of
sports court but was being sold as pieces which didn't match the green
color of a batch of tiles sold for outdoor patio covering. I picked up forty
square feet @ $1.99 per with free shipping so I guess I own a semi-portable
$80 plastic floor. The hallway of my apartment building is tighter loop
carpeting than what's in my living room and the pokey bits on the bottom
(see lower right picture) grip into it really good. It never budges when I
practice stuff on it. Top picture shows a 6 x 4 foot setup I usually use but
I can scale up to a 5 x 8 or a 6 x 7 if I choose two tiles not to be placed.
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 03:39 AM   #10
netplaceus
David
 
netplaceus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRFunky View Post
Now THAT is hilarious! I thought I was the only fanatic freak show to
do something like that...

Nope, I suspect there is alot of us! I live in an apartment too, mine was $50.00, It's a Birch veneer 5'X10'. It has a single thin acrylic shellac coating. The interesting thing is you can screw stuff like this down to the floor and when you remove it the screw holes are like impossible to find in the carpet (no damage).

I also use it for flexibility and speed exercises. I know it sounds crazy, but this has actually made me a better skater. Yes, Shuffle Dancing! How is that for freaky skate training!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9IlTFiacHo
__________________
Boots: Riedell 297, Plate: R-L Energy, Wheels: R-L Panther Light 55MM 95A, Me: 165 lb, 6'2"

Last edited by netplaceus; March 26th, 2018 at 05:05 AM. Reason: spell
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 07:53 AM   #11
Oicusk82huh
Senior Member
 
Oicusk82huh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Highland NY
Posts: 388
Default

Heal toe spinning is MUCH easier.

I don't like the entry method to the toe-toe spin shown in the jam skating girl video. I prefer and recommend entering from skating backwards. You know when you do the grapevine (also called the Mabrouk?), well there's a point when you're going backward and you stick out your right foot behind you, on your toe, you then pull your body the opposite way. That's basically the same way I start spinning.

Right toe out behind (going backwards), spinning towards your left arm-counter clockwise (pigeon toed), then start pumping your feet, arms out. When you have your balance, move toes closer together, hollow out your chest and pretend your'e hugging a beach ball.

Ok that sounds insane. I'm soooo sorry. This video isn't the best, but it's good for people who are more visual learners...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVX7ybiCc18

]
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 09:15 PM   #12
netplaceus
David
 
netplaceus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Heal toe spinning is MUCH easier.

I don't like the entry method to the toe-toe spin shown in the jam skating girl video. I prefer and recommend entering from skating backwards. You know when you do the grapevine (also called the Mabrouk?), well there's a point when you're going backward and you stick out your right foot behind you, on your toe, you then pull your body the opposite way. That's basically the same way I start spinning.

Right toe out behind (going backwards), spinning towards your left arm-counter clockwise (pigeon toed), then start pumping your feet, arms out. When you have your balance, move toes closer together, hollow out your chest and pretend your'e hugging a beach ball.

Ok that sounds insane. I'm soooo sorry. This video isn't the best, but it's good for people who are more visual learners...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVX7ybiCc18

]
Actually, I thought you did a really good job with your description. The video is also good, I have not seen that one before. They did well, that floor looked really sticky too. I hate sticky floors.
__________________
Boots: Riedell 297, Plate: R-L Energy, Wheels: R-L Panther Light 55MM 95A, Me: 165 lb, 6'2"
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 01:18 AM   #13
Abyss
Member
 
Abyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
Actually, I thought you did a really good job with your description. The video is also good, I have not seen that one before. They did well, that floor looked really sticky too. I hate sticky floors.
I find grippy wheels on a well maintained (NON-dusty) floor the best for spinning. I go toe-toe always and pump. If u slip while pumping your basically screwed so grip FTW for me and my method. U can essentially spin as long as you can stand it as pumping w/grip keeps the momentum where u want it and with a wider stance from pumping i find that balance is almost a non-issue. The best thing i find about grip w/spinning is u can more easily transition into or out of it when using spinning mixed w/toe jamming (thats what we called it in Ohio, i think ya’ll may call it jam skaing on this forum???)

To each his own of course tho!
__________________
“Its not the words we choose to use, its the intent behind them and how others choose to percieve them”
Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 03:08 AM   #14
netplaceus
David
 
netplaceus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
I find grippy wheels on a well maintained (NON-dusty) floor the best for spinning. I go toe-toe always and pump. If u slip while pumping your basically screwed so grip FTW for me and my method. U can essentially spin as long as you can stand it as pumping w/grip keeps the momentum where u want it and with a wider stance from pumping i find that balance is almost a non-issue. The best thing i find about grip w/spinning is u can more easily transition into or out of it when using spinning mixed w/toe jamming (thats what we called it in Ohio, i think ya’ll may call it jam skaing on this forum???)

To each his own of course tho!
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to explain your technique.
__________________
Boots: Riedell 297, Plate: R-L Energy, Wheels: R-L Panther Light 55MM 95A, Me: 165 lb, 6'2"
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.