S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 4th, 2017, 12:38 AM   #1
amohrfeld

Default Wheels on Roll Line plates

I'm building a skate with the Roll Line Dance Plate. To get started I put on my Bones Super Elite wheels. I tightened the axle nut until it bottomed out on the axle thread. There was still a significant amount of slop (lateral movement of the wheel on the axle). This is a lot more then I would expect. Do the Roll Line wheels have more width between the bearings? Am I supposed to use a washer behind the wheel? The plates arrived with spacers but I'm not sure that is the answer since the movement is so much. Thanks.

-Austin
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 12:45 AM   #2
wyodinosaur

Default Roll Line wheel spacers are wider than others

My Roll Line wheels (Formula) have wider spacers than my old Bones artistic wheels. I think the Roll Line spacers are around 10mm instead of around 8mm for the Bones. That would make the bearings spaced farther apart than the old Bones wheels.

I absolutely love my Roll Line wheels by the way.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 03:12 AM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Yes, Austin you will have to space out the wheels.

Add washers to the inside of wheel until the slop or play is removed when replacing the nut on axel.

I recently added two washers to the inside of my Dance Plate axel, when installing my Bones 103A Super Elite Wheels to my Roll Line Dance plates.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 03:41 AM   #4
amohrfeld

Thanks guys.

So the next question is what wheel(s) should I purchase.

I am fairly happy with the Bones 101 and 103. I like a harder wheel for sliding through footwork but don't want the skates to slip from under me when I catch a sharp edge or land a jump.
Old October 4th, 2017, 05:06 AM   #5
larryoracing

Smile Dear Austin...Hmmmmmmm......

I have to read into the question and guess what are you really asking. EI (Emotional Intelligence...lol).

Let me just tell you what I'm running.

Bones 62mm 103A Super Elite Wheels on the inside of my right Roll Line Dance Plates, 160. With a 270 Berry Skates Dance/International style boot, with Bones Ceramic Bearings.

On the outside wheels I'm running a Figure Wheel. Roll Line Giotto, 53/54, which has hardness TL60-HD70,which is the second hardness Wheel for figures. I use this set up to Skate Dance. There are two harder wheels than this for Figures.

On the left skate on the inside wheels I'm running the Roll Line Magnum 53, which has the same hardness , but wider wheel than the same outside wheels on the right skate.

Why would I run the figure wheels for dance? I like slippery wheels that allow me turn/three turns, but roll extremely fast and still give enough grip so you don't fall on your A$$..lo! The outside hard wheel for roll and the inside wheels for grip, but only on the right Skate. The left skate has a wider wheel on the inside wheel than outside but the same hardness. I had to change to softer wheel/inside Right skate because I flatted the inside Right Skate wheels. Seems to work well at present.

Good Luck!

Larry O
Old October 4th, 2017, 02:42 PM   #6
amohrfeld

Wow.

So let me ask this a different way. I want to start with one set or Roll Line wheels and adjust from there. What should I purchase first?
Old October 4th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #7
wyodinosaur

Default You might try Roll Line Leopards

Roll Line has a wheel called 'Leopard' which is 99A hardness and is rated as best for freestyle. That might be a good choice for your application. It's just a tad softer than the 101A wheels you said you thought were ok.

Your floor (and its condition) will probably have a lot to do with how slippery your wheels are too.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #8
markwphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyodinosaur View Post
Roll Line has a wheel called 'Leopard' which is 99A hardness and is rated as best for freestyle. That might be a good choice for your application. It's just a tad softer than the 101A wheels you said you thought were ok.

Your floor (and its condition) will probably have a lot to do with how slippery your wheels are too.
I bought a full set of leopards and tried to skate on them. We have a really tight floor at my rink and I thought the leopards would slide nicely. Well they slid a little too much! I was wiping out all over the place. I ended up getting mustangs and only use the leopards on my Left foot placed at the left front and right rear and on my Right foot placed on the right rear. The rest of the wheels are the mustangs. I be very cautious with all leopards unless your floor is really tight.
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 04:40 AM   #9
larryoracing

Smile Roll Line "ICE" Wheels, Hardness 92A

1)
Quote:
I'm building a skate with the Roll Line Dance Plate.
2)
Quote:
I want to start with one set of Roll Line wheels and adjust from there. What should I purchase first?
I would purchase a set or Roll Line "Dance Wheels", ICE, with hardness 92A

I was recommended this wheel at Nationals and I bought it.

3) The "hot" setup/wheel to purchase this year was a brand called "STD", Hardness 92A.

I did not purchase this wheel, but 21 sets of these wheels were sold at Nationals. One man who I truly respect and got third in Dance this year said "These were the best wheels he ever bought".

4) For a guess, I bought an "ADJUSTMENT" set of wheels to augment the ICE 92A wheels. I just ordered a set of ICE 97A Wheels. These are the hardest Dance wheels Roll Line makes.

5) Mind you I have never rolled on any of these wheels. Not the 92A's or the 97A's...lol! But you asked...lol!

6) My present setup on my Roll Line Freestyle Skates, "Energy" plates is the Roll Line Leopard at 99A Hardness. This is the hardest wheel Roll Line makes for Freestyle and they are a very small diameter wheels. The ICE Wheels are the largest diameter wheels at 62mm.

a) I noticed I had an extra set of Mustang freestyle Wheels at 97A Hardness. I guess I thought the 99A wheels were getting slippery. I run the Very Stiff Concerto Freestyle boot on my Energy Freestyle skates.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani...it's all about the choices we make...lol!
Old October 5th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #10
emtdpf

Morning all....

Wheels.... my 2 cents.

This past season , i also skated on the STDs. I was very hesitant, no wait, extremely hesitant to use them, I knew they were soft and I hate skating with that slow as mud feeling.

I was pleasantly surprised with them, I used them for the entire season, including Nationals, and....... they stick like glue to everything, while actually providing a decent roll.

I especially liked them at 6 am in the winter on a cold floor....... both in NY and in MA........

What I didnt like about them is that they really stuck to the floor when trying to do 3 turnes or a counter or a rocker in a dance...... there was a couple of times that the wheel stuck to the floor and down I went....... I ended up having to hop all of those turns.........

I also didnt like the fact that after a couple of months,,, they started creaking....

Wear wise..... mine still look fairly good. What I mean by that is that I have no flats, and my push wheelsshow little to no wear, I rotated them, so......but I have seen others, where they totally push off of their push wheel and they are extremely rounded.

I would suggest them as a wheel if you are a forward skater, and have mixed conditions floors.....

As for me, after comp, I immediatly put my 101a wheel back on so I can work my turns and dances. I understand that I will probably be slipping like crazy in the winter but for now.......I also have a mixed set of .... I dont .... purple and light blue wheels that are a little softer than the 101a and I can use them in the winter.......

As mentioned in previous posts, wheels are what you want, you might have to experiment with a bunch before you get what works for you for what you skate.....

Don
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 02:51 AM   #11
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

love my Roll-Line Rapido wheels with the Dance plate.