S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old September 29th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #1
amohrfeld

Default Comparing Roll Line Dance to Snyder Imperial

I only had time to mount one Dance plate before my weekly Thursday Night skate session. So I decided to go ahead and compare it to my old Imperials by skating 2 different skates. The Roll Line with 336 boot was on my left foot and the Imperial on a 297 was on my right. A few takeaways:

I mounted the Roll Line Dance on the exact center of the ball of my foot. This took a lot of work and measuring. This is about 5mm further back when compared to the Imperial mounting. The new position slowed me down a lot but I'm happy with the improved movement and posture from the front wheel placement.

My biggest (and only) complaint is the position of the rear wheel. It is also pushed back 5mm. This restricts some turning moves and being able to get up on on the rear wheels for some footwork. I now wish I could get a 165mm plate instead of the 170. Oddly the length I find comfortable is a lot shorter then the recommended length.

Both the Roll line Dance and Imperial have about the same turning movement based on my setups. Yet the felt very different.

Setup on the Dance is more critical and unforgiving then the Imperial. Pre-compression had to be just right. I can generally work in a range on the Imperial without noticing much difference.

The stock cushions on the Dance are about right. I tried a softer cushion and it was terrible. The skate was all over the place with a mind of its own.

The Roll Line was light, snappy, agile. As a result it is unforgiving: I felt every imperfection in the floor and felt slightly out of control. This resulted in fatigue. The Imperial is steady and calm. The comparison is like driving a Miata vs. 1980 Buick.

After taking off the Roll Line and skating both Imperials I found myself missing the quickness and freedom of the Dance.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 08:15 PM   #2
larryoracing

Smile Berry Skates is now the U.S. Roll-Line Skates distributor.

Just so everybody knows Berry Skates is now a distributor of Roll Line Roller Skating plates in America.

Quote:
I mounted the Roll Line Dance on the exact center of the ball of my foot. This took a lot of work and measuring. This is about 5mm further back when compared to the Imperial mounting. The new position slowed me down a lot but I'm happy with the improved movement and posture from the front wheel placement.
There is nothing like getting the shortest possible Dance Plate mounted to the Boots you intend to skate on. More control, flexibility and style is available to your foot with very little ankle input.

Quote:
My biggest (and only) complaint is the position of the rear wheel. It is also pushed back 5mm. This restricts some turning moves and being able to get up on on the rear wheels for some footwork. I now wish I could get a 165mm plate instead of the 170. Oddly the length I find comfortable is a lot shorter then the recommended length.
Sadly the Roll-Line Dance Plate, does not come in half sizes. It is not available/made in the 165mm length.

Quote:
Both the Roll line Dance and Imperial have about the same turning movement based on my setups. Yet the felt very different.
Quote:
Setup on the Dance is more critical and unforgiving than the Imperial. Pre-compression had to be just right. I can generally work in a range on the Imperial without noticing much difference.
I agree. The Roll-Line Dance plate is more sensitive to kingpin nut tightness. It’s very sensitive, but that is the beauty of the plate. It turns on a dime, but that can put you on your A$$ if you are just a little bit loose on the truck adjustment, The fast turning truck action on a loose setup can flip the skater and knock you down onto the skating floor without a moments notice!
Quote:
The stock cushions on the Dance are about right. I tried a softer cushion and it was terrible. The skate was all over the place with a mind of its own.
I have to admit, if you don’t like sensitive truck action that turns on a dime with only slight ankle movement, you will probably not like the Roll Line Dance plate. The roll line dance plate turns sharper than the Synder Imperial Plate by a “LOT!”

Quote:
The Roll Line was light, snappy, agile. As a result it is unforgiving: I felt every imperfection in the floor and felt slightly out of control. This resulted in fatigue. The Imperial is steady and calm. The comparison is like driving a Miata vs. 1980 Buick

Again the Roll Line Dance plate is not for the faint of heart. Now put a very low top/cut Berry International Dance boot on it and you got yourself a wild roller skating setup. Better know how to skate and have excellent balance if you want to go that route…lol!. I have that Berry Boot on a Short Roll Line Dance plate and it is wild, controllable and scary all at the same time.

Kind of gives me the feeling of doing freestyle in a Dance Roller Skating Plate…lol! I have a lot of respect for those skates and skate hard and fast but as cautious as I can be and the adjustment has to be just right or it can get dangerous out there on the skating surface going full bore!

Quote:
After taking off the Roll Line and skating both Imperials I found myself missing the quickness and freedom of the Dance.
There is no combination in the World with the quick action of a Short Roll Line Dance plate mounted on a Argentinian/Berry Skate International Style Dance Boot. This is my most Wildest, Scariest Roller skating Plate and Boot combination setup. I don’t recommend it, but it is a beautiful setup if you can handle it. I have to be on my toes with these skates, but it allows me to do anything I want when skating dance. It’s your choice. Choose wisely and be careful!

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. Proud owner of some Berry Skates/Berry Boots/ Roll Line Dance plates/low cut International style boots.

Last edited by larryoracing; October 2nd, 2017 at 12:06 AM.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 04:54 AM   #3
Dekindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Just so everybody knows the Berry Skates is now the distributor of Roll Line Roller Skating plates in America. Only a rumor, but I heard Roll Line Skating Plates wanted to be associated to a leader in International Style Dance boots/Berry Skates.
Since when?
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 04:11 PM   #4
amohrfeld

On Monday I'll try to find the Loop in a 165. It was discontinued. So we'll see.
Old October 1st, 2017, 10:57 PM   #5
larryoracing

Smile Dekindy, US Skates and Berry Skates/both. Amohrfeld...Good Luck!

Dekindy,

I just called Berry Skates and found out that Berry Skates is also now a distributor of Roll Line skates. It use to be only US Skates. Now it is Berry Skates and US Skates as distributors of Roll Line Skates.

https://berryskates.com/
------------------------

Amohrfeld, last year I apparently got the last pair of 165 "Ring" Plates. I bought them at US Skates in a blow out deal. They only had two pairs left and I bought the last pair of 165's. I hope you find a pair of 165 "Ring" plates, but they do not have the same action as the "Dance" plates. I think you will find the action is less than a Imperial, but still they are a really neat plate and I like the action for "Pattern" Dances and I also like them for Figures.

If you read the literature on the "Ring" plates they will say same plate as Dance Plate but the action has been tuned down. So, there is not as much turning action on the "Ring" plate compared to a "Dance" plate although they look the same on the outside. I had the same idea and found out the hard way, but they are still a really neat plate, though..lol!

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. I am waiting to save up a litte bit more money and will buy a pair of the Freestyle/Figure Berry Boots for my 165 "Ring" plates. The Freestyle/Figure Berry Boot is a little bit taller than the Dance by one row of eyelets.

You wouldn't think being a little taller boot makes a difference, but in a Dance Berry boot I wear a 270 and in the Freestyle, we are guessing the 275 will be best. They only had a 280 Freestyle Berry Boot at Nationals and we felt it was a little bit long, but still fit. We decide to go with a 275 for Freestyle/Figures.

Last edited by larryoracing; October 2nd, 2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 01:32 AM   #6
amohrfeld

Ah, I got the Ring and Loop mixed up. So yes; I am out of luck.

I'll definitely check out the Berry Boots on my next build. My concern is getting the right size. When I bought the Riedells the shop had multiple boots to try on for sizing. We even called Riedell to make sure we were getting the product met my needs.

I won't be at nationals until by kids get to that level and that will be a couple years away.

Also I now have a question about wheels for this plate but I'll start a new thread.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 02:45 PM   #7
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

Dance 170 with Fly boot, love this combo !
I also use the Rapido wheels exclusively, tried other wheels always return to the Rapidio's.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwq...ew?usp=sharing

ps. Thanks Photobucket for killing picture links, may you die a slow death !
Old October 3rd, 2017, 09:16 AM   #8
larryoracing

Smile Dear Amohrfeld, More stuff/information.

Quote:
1) I'll definitely check out the Berry Boots on my next build. My concern is getting the right size. When I bought the Riedell’s the shop had multiple boots to try on for sizing. We even called Riedell to make sure we were getting the product met my needs.
Yes, you are correct. The sizing is the most important. As far as I know the Berry Boot only comes in one width and that is wide. So if you have wide feet, you are in luck. If you have narrow or medium feet the boots might still work because of the enormous amount of padding inside the boots that make them so comfortable to wear. That was the selling point for me. The boots fit perfect!

I think you caught my “drift” about the Berry Boots being approximately one half size smaller than normal. In a EDEA boot I wear a size 275 and in a Berry Boot/Dance I wear a 270.

So, Normally I would have to wear a size 165 Roll Line Plate, but with a Berry Boots/Dance a Size 160 fits fine.

Quote:
2) I won't be at nationals until by kids get to that level and that will be a couple years away.
Although Berry Skates/Boots had many sizes at Nationals they did not have them all. So for the taller/3 eyelet Freestyle/Figure Boots they only had size 280, but I felt a little wiggle room in the toe. So, Berry Skates are going to send me a size 275 to try on at home. If they don’t fit, I will send them back and they will exchange them for the next smaller size boot, size 270. That is an option but you will have to pay for shipping.

Also Berry Skates has come out with a new boot, not in their Brochures yet. It is called the Touch “X”, which is their stiffest boot for doing figures. Same boot as their figure/Freestyle boot, but it is a lot stiffer.

Quote:
3) Also I now have a question about wheels for this plate but I'll start a new thread.
I’m basically skating on two Roll Line Skates at present, but I have the same wheel setup on both skates. The setup will amaze you. I don’t think many people use this combination of wheels.

Both Skates are using Roll Line Figure Wheels exclusively. One skate is a Giotto for figures and the second pair is a Dance Plate, size 160 from Roll Line.

1) I use a Roll Line Magnum Wheel for the inside Wheels on both skates and a Roll Line Giotto for the outside wheels on both skates.

2) The Size of the wheels is 62 mm. The hardness on the inside wheel is TL60/HD 70, which is their second hardest wheel.

3) The hardness of the outside wheels although a different type of figure wheel is the same hardness.

4) One difference though. The inside wheels are wider and the outside wheels are not as wide. Also the inside wheels stick out less to the outside of the skates (less positive offset) than do the outside wheels, which have a different offset/which is wider than the inside wheels. The outside wheel have a greater positive offset/stick out wider to the outside of the skates.

5) I was thinking about using this same setup on my Freestyle skates, which are the Roll Line Energy, size 160, with a EDEA Concerto Boot, size 275.

6) So you see I am a firm believer that one pair of wheels can be used for all three disciplines, Freestyle, Dance and figures.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani and happy Berry Skates…lol!
Old October 13th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #9
amohrfeld

I finally had a chance to skate these (Roll Line Dance with Riedell 336 boots). And lets just say I'm still trying to like them. I gained some speed this week. But they are still fidgety compared to all my other plates. The movement range is good but it makes my new boots feel stiff. This is odd because I was complaining that all my other boots did not provide enough support. Hopefully the boots loosen a little with time.

What did surprise me was how much the wheels stuck to the floor. I've noticed this same phenomenon in my speed skates a few months ago. Once you get the suspension right, the traction improves. But with the speed skates I felt about a 1-2 duro improvement. With these skates it's more like skating a wheel rated 3 duro softer. Hence, trying spins was a little more difficult.
Old October 15th, 2017, 12:50 AM   #10
larryoracing

Smile Thanks for the update Amohrfeld!

Quote:
I finally had a chance to skate these (Roll Line Dance with Riedell 336 boots). And lets just say I'm still trying to like them. I gained some speed this week.
Thanks for the report. It’s always great to get feedback on new skates.

Quote:
But they are still fidgety compared to all my other plates.
I assume you mean they are wobbly or “highly reactive” in the truck action department. At speed I felt my short wheel-based Dance Plates were fidgety, so I tightened up the trucks so they wouldn’t have that fidgety/wobbly at action at high speed.

Quote:
The movement range is good but it makes my new boots feel stiff.
I assume you mean, normally you have to twist your feet in your boots to force an edge and now with the extreme plate action, you barely have to move your ankle and the plate starts to lean or make a edge/arc fast?

Quote:
This is odd because I was complaining that all my other boots did not provide enough support.
These plates have the most truck action of any plate on the planet earth…lol! You barely lean on the plate and it turns. If you had tennis shoes mounted on these plates and started lean to the side the plates would make a deep turn to "Dodge"...lol!

Quote:
Hopefully the boots loosen a little with time.

I assume your boots will break in, but the truck action will always be extreme, unless you tighten up the trucks. Not that it matters, but for whatever reason I have another friend, who does not like her 336 boots that are mounted on her Dance plates.

Quote:
With these skates it's more like skating a wheel rated 3 duro softer. Hence, trying spins was a little more difficult.
There are three free-stylists who have these Dance Plates and like the truck action, but none of them spin on these skates. I wouldn’t say it is the duro action improvement, but the fact, that it’s hard to control a spin where the trucks lean over so much or get sooo muccch edge. It’s hard to control the spin. We want less truck action. But all know the potential there to be a fantastic skate, but all of us have just settled on using them for dance and use a less reactive truck/plate for freestyle/spins.

You can go to a less grippy wheel, but at high speeds the less grippy wheels will make you fall. It's a tough one. These skates were not made to do free style on.

Sincerely Larry Otani and good luck.

There are about 15 people in our rink who own these skates, but they don't use them for freestyle. They use these "Dance Plates" for skating dance/artistic steps to border or patterns skating sequence while listening to organ music.